• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Banana, don't bother with an entire set. Spend $250 on a good chef's knife and buy a second smaller one if you feel the need. We bought a set a few years back and only ever use two or three of them.

This was in my first batch of imguroulette pics:
aIzFx.jpg

NSW is considering legislation to make it law that if you have visible tatoos anywhere on your body you cannot join the police force

and those with tattoos in the force may be forced to have them removed.

I am guessing this is going to run foul of discrimination laws but you never know. They think that having police with tatoos degrades the force (people have complained apparently...., probably retirees with nothing better to do) and want it out

Now i am on their side with one aspect, that is the facial tribal tattoo. I think that particularly is a bit over the top for the police force but arm tattoos leg tattoos etc why not?

Personally I would like to think my police look like terry tough bastards when dealing with crooks than pansies that the crooks can walk all over and know they can.

Tattoos in many ways can be intimidating to people, but if its the police intimidating people is that such a problem. Fine balance between managing peace and going over the top of course, but its not just the tattoos that cause police to do violent, over the top acts. See the cricket bashing for a nice example of one where no tattoos are present.

Completely dismissing a competent trainee because they choose to have a tattoo (and remembering with some people this is a very personal thing such as remembering someone, or its part of their culture such as the Maori in NZ) is ridiculous in my opinion.

Face tats no, other tats who cares. Get over it ffs

I'd rather have a force with tatoos than no force at all.
At first I thought this was going to be a long reply but then I realised that all I needed to say was that I don't care about tattoos. No one should care, as long as they don't contain anything offensive. People should only be concerned about the quality of the work they perform, not what gender, race, religion or choice of body adornment.

I can't see it getting past the discrimination laws, especially the "those already in the force will have to get them removed" part; at least if sanity prevails it won't.

I hope that as public acceptance of tattoos grows it will slowly filter throughout every workforce. After all, there was a time where having a facial piercing was interview suicide...

yeah i had a look at the brand i was thinking about getting. i cannot justify 700 on knives while im unemployed.
i need to pick up 2 new ones anyway. however those would be the least used so i might as well just get the cheaper ones of those aswell. like i turning knife. i bet i use that twice but i would be yelled at everyday if i didnt have one.
first pay cheque though.

At least i can't justify it when i still have my perfectly good knives from my last course sitting around. i thought i would treat myself though as i would use them much more. unlike last time where i pretty much could have gotten away with a whisk and spoon and thats it.

commissar

So WMP refuses to not run a process. Recommendations for Process Managers so I can keep the thing killed? Can't remember the one I used on XP.
I use services and msconfig to get rid of these things.

iirc you'll want to turn off network monitoring for shared files in the WMP options too.

iirc you'll want to turn off network monitoring for shared files in the WMP options too.
Yeah, it sounds like it's trying to look for library updates or indexing of media or something to me. Reptile, try disabling any Media Player options that look like monitoring, indexing, updating, etc.

Jintor

At first I thought this was going to be a long reply but then I realised that all I needed to say was that I don't care about tattoos. No one should care, as long as they don't contain anything offensive. People should only be concerned about the quality of the work they perform, not what gendered, race, religion or choice of body adornment.

I can't see it getting past the discrimination laws, especially the "those already in the force will have to get them removed" part; at least if sanity prevails it won't.

I hope that as public acceptance of tattoos grows it will slowly filter throughout every workforce. After all, there was a time where having a facial piercing was interview suicide...

this guy, he knows what he's talking about

Omikron

Thankyou, this is my new favourite game.

SO MUCH WEIRD

Yeah its not bad.

@mega - you need some better validation though, avg seems to be around 2/3 images per refresh, which seems a bit low for 30 images. Maybe add some extra extension checks? You checking for png/jpeg etc?

CRACKDOWN 3, VIVA PINATA PARTY ANIMALS AND RICKI-LEE COULTER. Righto.

I think "Do you agree with the opinions of Brendan Brewer, Video Game Reviewer" would be a good question

Anyway I have worked too damn long drawing this one so you all have to suffer with it. GOODNIGHT.

Also why on Earth doesn't the Steam app have Group Chat, it's the ONE thing I wanted it for.

You made a comic about a short welsh man whose name rhymes with Farkus?

Jintor

Not much I can do about the broken images. I'm just generating random sets of letters and numbers and plonking a .jpg or .gif on the end. I had some validation, but anything more than 3 images it'd shit itself. I might need to somehow have a database of bad files that it skips.

Pity.

Yeah its not bad.

@mega - you need some better validation though, avg seems to be around 2/3 images per refresh, which seems a bit low for 30 images. Maybe add some extra extension checks? You checking for png/jpeg etc?

Yeah I tried. I was using getimagesize and using width and height values, too slow. Using get_headers and using the ETag variable (since invalid images don't seem to have it) was also too slow. There's code to turn it on but the switching code I had didn't work too well, hence crazy reload limits instead. Also, without validation, all my script does is generate random URLs and spits em out, putting the pressure on the client machine to validate images By sight. Doing it the other way puts Purdue on my site and its very very limited bandwidth :p

Maybe I'll add some Ajax to it tonight. That'll allow for image validation maybe. Not sure exactly how powerful Javascript is at reading image data.

Edit: I'm checking for jpg and gif at the mo. I was thinking of spitting out all extensions per generated URL. I also tallied last night g there are urls with 6 characters now, so I'm missing out on those too

Maybe I'll add some Ajax to it tonight. That'll allow for image validation maybe. Not sure exactly how powerful Javascript is at reading image data.
Does imgur return an error code if the image isn't found, along with the 'not found' image? You could check for HTTP status codes if that was the case, should be a bit quicker, and with AJAX wouldn't be hard at all.

Edit: No, just checked, it returns an HTTP 200 on a non-existant one.
Edit 2: If you request a JPG and it returns a content-type of image/gif then you could assume it's wrong...

Does imgur return an error code if the image isn't found, along with the 'not found' image? You could check for HTTP status codes if that was the case, should be a bit quicker, and with AJAX wouldn't be hard at all.

Nope. Just a different image. Imgur doesn't really want people doing what I'm doing lol. That's what the API is for, but it only allows for user stuff and the public gallery thing at www.imgur.com/gallery

Jintor

This is surprisingly enjoyable. Found an old movie poster called "Beware of the Cats".

Tempted to save a folder called 'random imgr pics' on my pc and just put cool images in there

Shaneus

Edit: No, just checked, it returns an HTTP 200 on a non-existant one.
Edit 2: If you request a JPG and it returns a content-type of image/gif then you could assume it's wrong...
Or it's an animated gif. And we don't want that.

Omikron

work is insisting on food containers being labeled in the fridge. good for them. I am now writing random famous names on a pad of sticky notes for general use.

if you put a million it probably is the same as a DDOS

you might want to limit the number ;)

<nerd>
The first D means distributed, and I doubt Mega's single server has enough bandwidth to take down imgur on its own. If the page used AJAX (assuming cross-domain were allowed), and each person's local machine had been configured to allow more than the maximum HTTP standard allows (is it 10?), then maybe if you had thousands of simultaneous users...
</nerd>

Edit: Reptile, your (Choc's) Halo disc was returned to me, so can you PM me your address and I'll post it via Aus Post?
Choc, your Halo disc is still with me but will be sent to Reptile (I sent it Wed but it was just returned to me).

Edit 2: Holy crap, lucky I put it in a CD case, because this is what got returned to me:
IMG_20120131_101240.jpg

if you put a million it probably is the same as a DDOS

you might want to limit the number ;)

Limited to 300 max and a little message for the first person to put in a retarded number. edit: of course while testing that quickly at work, dongs had to come up. OF COURSE

on a more stupid note, i fucking lost my fucking phone. not sure if its in the carpark at the train station or in my dads fucking car, but either way i dont have it.

also srsly? ff7 was your first game you ever ever played? nothing from the nes or snes era? daytona at the arcade when you were a kid?

on a more stupid note, i fucking lost my fucking phone. not sure if its in the carpark at the train station or in my dads fucking car, but either way i dont have it.
What sort of phone? If a Google phone you could use Latitude to see where it is, or an iOS one you may be able to use some equivalent (is it Find My Phone?)

Damn kids, get off my lawn.
Final Fantasy is a total ripoff of Ultima!

hamchan

Limited to 300 max and a little message for the first person to put in a retarded number. edit: of course while testing that quickly at work, dongs had to come up. OF COURSE

also srsly? ff7 was your first game you ever ever played? nothing from the nes or snes era? daytona at the arcade when you were a kid?

I'm only 20 years old, never got to experience the Nes or SNES eras until I got a computer and could play emulators. :-/

My first actual game I played was probably Battle City on the Game Boy. It was on one of those 100 in 1 carts where it was really 10 games and the other 90 games were just the same games renamed.

FF7 is definitely the first game I remember being fond of though.

megadrive- Have you rung your phone? If it's somewhere handy, you'll hear it and if someone who's not a total cunt has found it, you could get it back

I'm only 20 years old, never got to experience the Nes or SNES eras until I got a computer and could play emulators. :-/

My first actual game I played was probably Battle City on the Game Boy. It was on one of those 100 in 1 carts where it was really 10 games and the other 90 games were just the same games renamed.

FF7 is definitely the first game I remember being fond of though.

Same as Ham but i am turning 23 soon and i had experienced some SNES but nintendo never grabbed me

mega's thing is fun cheers

here we gooo
LETS DO THIS

Steam ID:
roosters93 (only have a shit laptop though so no PC games for me)

360 Gamertag?
SmokyMonk don't play online much though

PS3 thingy?
N/A

Twitterer?
yes mine is in the big ausgaf list

Thoughts on SOAP?
It's no PIPpA middleton.

Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Daniel Craig.

Would you buy a Crackdown 3?

didn't buy number 2 so probably not. it's fun though.

Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
never played it

iOS gamer or Android user?

iOS but I wanna Nexus

How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Doesn't really affect me much as I ain't master race but it's bad.

Is Warhammer 40k Space Marine a horrible Gears of War knockoff?
No fucking clue

Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
Yes I've been known to eat a whole box in a sitting. Overrated though.

UGG boots. Do you speak it?
in da home yeah

Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
k

Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS?
nope

D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
only play carcassone on my iOS devices.

Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins?
Karen the hottest but I wouldn't cite her. (although if i ever sighted her :eek:)

Have you picked up a copy of the highly acclaimed 3rd album by Enter Shikari called A Flash Flood Of Colour yet?
Don't really like that kind of stuff. Do they still scream and stuff

Join AusGAF real mug with mug club! People are doing Avatars with the first letter of your username, just in case you are wondering what is up with all the letters looking at you.
Cbf.

Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
smarmy is a cool word and totally applicable.

Jalapeño man?

sure

BACON MAN?
FUCK YEAH

Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
very. and scotch and cider are right up there.

Do you plays the Halos or Duties?
I have been known to. Didn't buy the latest doody cause it looked like the worst doody (MW2) again got BF3 instead and haven't played it since a couple of weeks after launch.

Hah, it even looks like the guy is saying "All the better to fap you with!" in a creepy voice.

Which reminds me of this in a way:

funny-gifs-japanese-people-have-the-weirdest-feet.gif

what the

Poor excuse! I'm 18 and got a second-hand SNES when I was iuno 10ish. I recall using a NES controller too somewhere once upon a time so I think I've experienced a NES briefly too.

Also why on Earth doesn't the Steam app have Group Chat, it's the ONE thing I wanted it for.

Yarp.

not even vibrate? If its somewhere dark- the screen lighting up when ringing makes it easier to find. Otherwise, you're shit outta luck

if all else fails. There's Hunter...

hunter1.jpg

its probably on vibrate, but i need to call my mum to look for it and i dunno how to work the phones here. im waiting for my sisters boyfriend to head in because im the most comfortable asking him to use his phone.

edit: ijust realised i also dont know her number off my heart. fakrkrakhlkadsfhaslkfa

why is losing phones that much more horrible than it used to be.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Couldnt you head into a Telstra or whatever provider your with shop and ask them to try and locate it?

Ping those towers and shit man!

I'm sure you would need some hardcore ID though, if they would even do it.

my sisters bf just came into work, he clearly called my phone and mum called him from her phone. so all is good. thank fucking goodness.

also, thrice + bug finding and fixing = goodness.

trinest

Poor excuse! I'm 18 and got a second-hand SNES when I was iuno 10ish. I recall using a NES controller too somewhere once upon a time so I think I've experienced a NES briefly too.

Yarp.

I missed out on the SNES and NES gen too. But I think they are highly overrated, not really many good games on it- and not many good games which aged well.

Dead Man

I missed out on the SNES and NES gen too. But I think they are highly overrated, not really many good games on it- and not many good games which aged well.

They may not grip you now, but there were many brilliant games on there. I first started gaming with a home tv pong/lightgun set, then on friends Atari 2600's, and the s/nes/segas were massive improvements, so many more game styles that were possible.

Consider also you are asking a lot for something in a tech limited medium to age well over 25 odd years.

Top Bottom