• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Fredescu

Write an angry letter!

neogafpost.png

For me it was (in rough order):
  • Atari 2600
  • Apple ][e
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Mac
  • PC
  • Sony Playstation 2
  • Sony Playstation 3
I loved all of those platforms too.

I had friends with the NES, SNES, C64, and Amiga so got to play plenty of those as well.

Rezbit

There are shitloads of Americans playing (hundreds), but no Aussies though. There are empty Aussie servers, but they exist.

Would be awesome to play, loved it on xbox. Shame it's a tenner on Steam, they really should have more permanently reduced titles.

midonnay

me =

Console

NES clone
Game and watch
Gameboy
SNES
N64
Gameboy color
PS1
PS2
Gamecube
Wii
DS lite
X360 (only really played one game GTA)
3DS

Master race

p166
p2 400mhz
p4 2.4ghz

and that was my last proper pc....only laptops from then.

Gazunta

In hindsight this is really true. I didn't have either, but I knew so many people with Master Systems and maybe two with NES. Weird how that gets forgotten with all the love USA GAF gives to the NES.
THIS THIS THIS FUCKING THIS. As Clive correctly pointed out, Australian gamers of the era knew that the Master System / MegaDrive were the consoles of choice and only smelly losers owned a NES. The freaking Atari 2600 was more respectable than the NES here. It really was the red headed step child of gaming systems.

But God forbid you tell anyone in America that.

I really think we in Australia had a unique viewpoint of the gaming world, given half our media came from England and half from the US - we got to see two completely independent gaming ecosystems grow during the 80s and slowly merge during the '90s.

But yeah, retro gaming in America JUST means the NES, and I think that's really sad.

I would probably have 500 times my current traffic if I devoted Blow The Cartridge to NES games, but I don't. Nothing but comics about obscure C64 / Amiga / Master System games!

Do you know there were two comic characters, both called Dennis The Menace, created IN THE SAME WEEK back in the 50s, completely independently of each other, one in the UK and one in the US? That's pretty cool.

Also, yes, Golden Axe did make it to the Master System, and it was only one player, but it was still neat. Plus there was that Master System-exclusive spin off game.

jambo

Master race

p166
p2 400mhz
p4 2.4ghz

and that was my last proper pc....only laptops from then.

I was thinking about doing a list like that, but

a) I have upgraded way too many times

b) I would probably get depressed at all of the money I have spent on my PC

Shaneus

THIS THIS THIS FUCKING THIS. As Clive correctly pointed out, Australian gamers of the era knew that the Master System / MegaDrive were the consoles of choice and only smelly losers owned a NES. The freaking Atari 2600 was more respectable than the NES here. It really was the red headed step child of gaming systems.

But God forbid you tell anyone in America that.

I really think we in Australia had a unique viewpoint of the gaming world, given half our media came from England and half from the US - we got to see two completely independent gaming ecosystems grow during the 80s and slowly merge during the '90s.

But yeah, retro gaming in America JUST means the NES, and I think that's really sad.

I would probably have 500 times my current traffic if I devoted Blow The Cartridge to NES games, but I don't. Nothing but comics about obscure C64 / Amiga / Master System games!

Do you know there were two comic characters, both called Dennis The Menace, created IN THE SAME WEEK back in the 50s, completely independently of each other, one in the UK and one in the US? That's pretty cool.

Also, yes, Golden Axe did make it to the Master System, and it was only one player, but it was still neat. Plus there was that Master System-exclusive spin off game.
This post has so much win in it, it's not funny. They tend to think of the Master System as the system that was kinda big in Brazil or something. I remember hiring an MS2 from Dollar Video on Vines Rd (look it up, if you go back in time about 25 years) in my neighbourhood with (I think?) either Outrun or Action Fighter.

But your point about getting UK and US perspectives... spot on. I have a feeling that the UK ideals penetrated more though, as the MS and MD always seemed to be bigger (or at least, pushed harder) than Nintendo. Shit, I can remember both Sega World (I still have the card and map!) and a local Sega store in Geelong (that had a prerelease copy of Virtua Racing for the MD on a PCB the size of an ATX motherboard gaffa-taped into the console) but couldn't name a single Ninty-only store.

Wait, wait, wait it's Alex Kidd? Not Alex THE Kidd? Mind fucking blown. And I'm definitely remembering Miracle World. The one preloaded on the machine. It was rad.
You're one of THOSE people? Ugh. I knew there was something about you that just didn't feel right.

Fredescu

You're one of THOSE people? Ugh. I knew there was something about you that just didn't feel right.
I thought this for the longest time too. I only ever played other peoples master systems, so I never go to see the box art. I think it's because the theme song sounds like it's singing "alex the kidd, alex the kidd!"

Shaneus

I thought this for the longest time too. I only ever played other peoples master systems, so I never go to see the box art. I think it's because the theme song sounds like it's singing "alex the kidd, alex the kidd!"
You've just moved down the ladder too, bub :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I only ever saw one sms in my circle of friends and god it was terrible.

I was a Nintendo fanboy back then. I hated sonic so I hated sega.

Sorta still do ;D

Choc

Banned
i don't want to be a cocktease and i can't go into details
this is more in general discussion

have you ever been thrown such a curve ball at work that it makes you reconsider what you are doing there, and you just stare at the wall all day going 'fuck'

yeah happened to me today

in fact i was in the car driving when i got the email and before you start calling me death jr, my car reads my email to me if i am on the road with owrk

So yeah in general anyone ever had that, and how did you deal?

Fredescu

Sony going third party confirmed.

Seriously though, yeah I've had that happen. Sometimes it worked out for the best and sometimes I ended up leaving. How I dealt with it was probably pretty specific to the situation.

Omikron

i don't want to be a cocktease and i can't go into details
this is more in general discussion

have you ever been thrown such a curve ball at work that it makes you reconsider what you are doing there, and you just stare at the wall all day going 'fuck'

yeah happened to me today

in fact i was in the car driving when i got the email and before you start calling me death jr, my car reads my email to me if i am on the road with owrk

So yeah in general anyone ever had that, and how did you deal?

I think I can relate, but might need more detail to hand out dealing strategies.

Choc

Banned
Thanks omi

i will see if i can come up with a way to discuss without revealing what it is because of the nature of this forum being gaming

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Also, checking your email while driving is bad, mmkay?

Omikron

Thanks omi

i will see if i can come up with a way to discuss without revealing what it is because of the nature of this forum being gaming

I guess it depends really what it is, I can't even tell if it has their potential to be good or bad based off your post.

Fredescu

I'll help Choc.

Imagine you worked for a company that sold "hardware", and they also made "software" for that "hardware". Now imagine that the company just said they were going to stop making "hardware" and start making "software" for other companies "hardware". What would you do?

Choc

Banned
blackberry linked to bluetooth car system can read emails through car speaker

ok

in summary due to a restructure it feels like i've been demoted 10 fold and my job just became a 100000x harder due to a thousand times more levels of red tape.

fred that scenario wouldn't phase me to much ;)

Deeku

So...the blackberry is reading emails, not the car. Get it right!

Car reading emails sounded like some next level shit.

Demoted isn't that bad, try getting sacked before you even started!

I didn't get Diddy's Kong Quest until recently

I'm just going to use this as a reason too.

I guess it depends really what it is, I can't even tell if it has their potential to be good or bad based off your post.

Doesn't sound good from the way it was described initially. The best you can do is to give it a day and see if your first reaction was right once you get over the initial shock.

Or if it's really that bad, set the evacation plan in motion.

Choc

Banned
FWIW i do believe ther eis a mercedes that can read emails

edit: no i do not have a mercedes before you start 1% me

Fredescu

in summary due to a restructure it feels like i've been demoted 10 fold and my job just became a 100000x harder due to a thousand times more levels of red tape.
Sorry, I can't help making fun. Personally I'd update the resume and start putting the feelers out. Maybe you'll get an offer that you can use as leverage if you want to stay, but if the restructure is going to make you unhappy, forget leverage and just go.

Top Bottom