• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
tour still on

i will try and detail soon with X and Y instead of actual products and people what happened

also RIM has lost the plot totally

If you enjoy your current job Choc the 'demotion' shouldn't matter to you much if it's just an org chart thing but if the new reporting lines will make things tough make sure your managers know about it, loud and clear.

There may yet be some benefits you haven't seen or realised yet so try to keep positive.

What the fuck are RIM thinking?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461315

Well I guess we know why Balsillie got out now. Why would a primarily business oriented phone try an advertising campaign aimed at 12 year old girls?

And I agree with Fred, if you feel like you're in a bad position Choc send the feelers out and see if there is something better available

Choc

Banned
Ok

lets say you are in a job reporting someone who reports directly to the managing director/ceo of the company

and that person looks after multiple teams, sort of like a general manager but not that job title

and lets say you are in charge of a number of products and have budget and money that you can play with and use as you see fit, and you are judged based on the use of that budget (pretty common you would think......)

now lets say that the person you report to is moved to a special project on the side for a long time and you no longer report to them

then lets say that you report to multiple people on different aspects and have no control over decision making

and those people have no experience in doing your job and will be relying on your advice to make decisions making that level of reporting dumb and stupid

yep.....

Fredescu

then lets say that you report to multiple people on different aspects and have no control over decision making

and those people have no experience in doing your job and will be relying on your advice to make decisions making that level of reporting dumb and stupid
I guess it depends on the style of those "multiple people". Maybe they will just rubber stamp whatever you say because they're busy with other shit themselves.

I'm in a somewhat similar position in that I haven't had a direct manager since November and due to restructuring haven't known where I fit or know exactly what I'll be doing until at least March. Though nothing is set in stone I have a good idea so I'm not concerned.

I think the best thing your group needs to do is either demand a new group manager, demand /their/ manager look after your team, or have one of your team step up for the time being. Surely they realise someone needs to manage the group and make day to day decisions...

legend166

blackberry linked to bluetooth car system can read emails through car speaker

ok

in summary due to a restructure it feels like i've been demoted 10 fold and my job just became a 100000x harder due to a thousand times more levels of red tape.

fred that scenario wouldn't phase me to much ;)

So is it like, Sony are getting rid of 'Sony Australia' and replacing it with 'Sony Asia Pacific' type thing?

Edit: You elaborated further, so probably not at all.

Anyway, that sucks choc. I can't relate, since I've never been in any position of authority or responsibility at work.

Rezbit

I'm currently on shaped internet (balls), but it seems finally might have some unmetered content, particularly Steam! I am downloading the games, all of them!

This revenge show is going to annoy me I can tell. Just remake the count of monty cristo as is, don't turn it into a shitty soap opera

Fucking rhinehart. Normally I wouldn't care about a millionaire buying into Fairfax but after she gave bolt a tv show as soon as she got some say in 10 you just know she'd fuck with shit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I always enjoy The Project on Ten when I remember to watch it.

oipic

Choc, I see a vacuum there that you will naturally fill - and multiple managers that will welcome it. Seen it so many times, but you must assert yourself early, no delay. Embrace change, with it comes opportunity (yada yada).

Also, I know it's a previous page thing now, but RIM, WTF?

As a long-time Blackberry user (not through choice, but necessity), it's been plain to see that RIM have dithered and lost the plot under some hilariously incompetent management. Once you lose sight of who your customers are, you're screwed.

Straight from the infamous Smith Corona school of market dominance and corporate vision etc.

Googlefu finally found a solution to my wmplayer.exe problems. Fucking Logitech.

Shit day at work. Feeling very unloved and frustrated that the people of work don't pay any attention to what I do and assume I don't do enough work even though I cover 3 times as much workload as the other admin who recently had casual staff brought in 7 hours a day to help her out! Fuckers. Needed to get down some scotch so bad that I offered to get some KFC drivethu just so I had some cola to mix my gifted bottle of Black Douglas with. Thankfully it seems my body has grown over the last fortnight to hate KFC as I feel like crap now. Diet working! Lost 2 kilograms in 2 weeks.

Edit: Reptile, your (Choc's) Halo disc was returned to me, so can you PM me your address and I'll post it via Aus Post?
Choc, your Halo disc is still with me but will be sent to Reptile (I sent it Wed but it was just returned to me).
PM'd because the twats at Logistics have gone so far downhill after I left. Mark my words, Deakin will be bankrupt before the decade is out, without me.

Woolworths is offloading Dick Smith.
But they were just starting to give us great deals! This sucks. Maybe.

Damn kids, get off my lawn.
XQNVV.jpg

Damnit man I had an atari! Didn't really start the love for games until FF7 though. My parents aren't computer people so they never really had much. First PC game we had was NFS:SE. First PC game I got for my birthday was Dark Forces 2. So much win. First PC game I bought with my own money was Curse of Monkey Island.
BEST $120 AND 5 HOURS DRIVING TO ADELAIDE EVA.
First console game I bought too was Final Fantasy 7, was Platinum version for $50 sitting next to the newly released 8 for $120 in KMart. I was like, "why the funk and wagnel would I want 8 when I haven't even played 7 !?!"
Engulfed my life after that.
Wonder Boy in Monster World was pretty awesome to me back in the day too though.

Have you picked up a copy of the highly acclaimed 3rd album by Enter Shikari called A Flash Flood Of Colour yet?
Don't really like that kind of stuff. Do they still scream and stuff?
Nah they dropped the hardcore screams after the first album for the most part for a heavier focus on weaving the electronics into the music. Mostly just yelling rather than the deeper screams when they were younger. Most Youtube uploads are horrible sound quality, might have to get on that.

also, thrice + bug finding and fixing = goodness.
Illusion of Safety/Artist Ambulance and Beggars/MajorMinor are a hell of a good lineup. Fantastic songwriters and put on an incredible show live. Have matured and gotten better over time even if I didn't like their artistic daliance with Vheissu and Elements.

i found a phone on the ferry
didnt have a pin lock so i called 'mum'
told 'mum' wha thappened
person then calld me on another phone, met up at wynyard
phone back
all within 30 mins
Good man! I hope they were thankful, last time I found someone's wallet they acted like a total cunt when I met up with them to give it back which totally threw me.

I used to be like that, buy a game, play it for a week - oh well that was nice what's next. Since I've taken the time to slow down purchases I've found I'm enjoying things more.

I've coined it the 'Nomad Gamer'. Most of GAF is like this so I'm likely to get shunned.
All part of going from being a kid with no money and pining for all these shiny looking games that you only get to look at but never touch to becoming an adult with adult money and adult wants where you can afford all that stuff and only spend 5 minutes with it since all your fucking time is now taken up with full time work, bills, appointments, family commitments, close relationships, etc.
All a part of growing up.
Eventually the guilt of The BackLog grows large enough to break the spell and break games down into the same value based decision as other products in your life.

We need to have a day where we play Jedi Academy AusGaf.
Dark Forces 2 was soooooooooooooo good! Huge levels with huge force powers and a highly entertaining storyline. Would love a HD remake.

Hate to point it out but if you guys have been around in the NES days in Australia, you'd have had a Sega Master System.
THIS THIS THIS FUCKING THIS. As Clive correctly pointed out, Australian gamers of the era knew that the Master System / MegaDrive were the consoles of choice and only smelly losers owned a NES. The freaking Atari 2600 was more respectable than the NES here. It really was the red headed step child of gaming systems.

But God forbid you tell anyone in America that.

I really think we in Australia had a unique viewpoint of the gaming world, given half our media came from England and half from the US - we got to see two completely independent gaming ecosystems grow during the 80s and slowly merge during the '90s.

But yeah, retro gaming in America JUST means the NES, and I think that's really sad.

I would probably have 500 times my current traffic if I devoted Blow The Cartridge to NES games, but I don't. Nothing but comics about obscure C64 / Amiga / Master System games!

Do you know there were two comic characters, both called Dennis The Menace, created IN THE SAME WEEK back in the 50s, completely independently of each other, one in the UK and one in the US? That's pretty cool.

Also, yes, Golden Axe did make it to the Master System, and it was only one player, but it was still neat. Plus there was that Master System-exclusive spin off game.
Hell yes. SMS kid all the way. I knew a few people with a NES but my SMS was my main gaming station until the PSOne (with a Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Colour (PIKACHU PIMPED EDITION), GBA, DSPhat keeping me happy off the TV). Emulators kept me in the loop with SNES when I was in high school. I remember playing GoldenAxe on the Game Gear? Or was that just a beautiful wet dream?

I thought this for the longest time too. I only ever played other peoples master systems, so I never go to see the box art. I think it's because the theme song sounds like it's singing "alex the kidd, alex the kidd!"
Same here, I was a kid! Of course I wanted him to be a kid. Plus Alex Kidd is awkward to say. Our version was better.

i don't want to be a cocktease and i can't go into details
this is more in general discussion

have you ever been thrown such a curve ball at work that it makes you reconsider what you are doing there, and you just stare at the wall all day going 'fuck'

yeah happened to me today

So yeah in general anyone ever had that, and how did you deal?
Most days aren't fun but today was a total, "no one here gives a fuck about the effort I put in and don't even bother to keep track of my progress". If I had a job prospect to go to I would put in my one week resignation tomorrow without a doubt. Will have to step up the job search.
COD! Hook me up with a job man!

Ok

lets say you are in a job reporting someone who reports directly to the managing director/ceo of the company

and that person looks after multiple teams, sort of like a general manager but not that job title

and lets say you are in charge of a number of products and have budget and money that you can play with and use as you see fit, and you are judged based on the use of that budget (pretty common you would think......)

now lets say that the person you report to is moved to a special project on the side for a long time and you no longer report to them

yep.....
I think a lot of people will relate to this. Layers of management and red tape are quite good at wasting a fuckload of money. Our office has been profitable from day one, which is insane for a startup contract in the first year. Yet we report huge losses as the head office in Melbourne which has nothing to do with us have to offset their insane wages and office rental cost somewhere. They rent out the old Lindsay Fox building and only use about 1/4 of the site/office. Don't understand how some of these fuckwits get into positions of power.

Stay around this time!

Didn't I get told off for saying PC gaming was expensive
It isn't. How much was the PS3 at launch? A solid PC for around $1000 will get you through 5 years before needing upgrades, rather than a full replacement. Don't forget that your PC also plays pretty much console game released before 2005 (plus Wii games!). It will also still let you play your games in the next generation, unlike what happened from Xbox -> 360 and PS2 -> PS3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What can I say, I think the whole crew is totally charming and down to earth. It's such a nice change of pace in current affairs from EVERYTHING IS AMPLIFIED ALWAYS.

Choc

Banned
Yes

i would slay her six ways from sunday

she is perfect

1) she likes football
2) she plays football and is good at it. She used to play state league in NSW. Plays for a local club now.
3) she is hot

Danoss

So it seems I was just approved for Steam Mobile. I don't know how everyone else is doing in this regard, but does anyone need an invite?

legend166

My problem with The Project is that the structure of the show is this:

- Carrie Bickmore introduces a story

- They have one guest who offers a painfully simplistic and one sided view of said story whilst the hosts nod along

- Charlie Pickering tries to sum it all up with some snarky one liner (and fails)

- Dave Hughes shows funny video

- RINSE AND REPEAT

Watch The Drum. Much better execution of the same concept.

Also, Jess Yates > Mel McLaughlin. DEAL.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I could do without the funny video stuff, but I really like Pickering's style. I appreciate the show for simply giving air time to various issues without telling me what to think, couched in a lite-entertainment round-table format. It's perfect dinner television. The show might have a slight slant away from more traditional/conservative views at times, but then, so do I. So do -- well -- young people? It's not strictly brain food, but it's not junk food either. I think we need more of that in current affairs.

I suppose not liking Pickering, Bickmore or Hughes might ruin the shown, but I think they have fantastic on-air chemistry. That's rare.

legend166

I could do without the funny video stuff, but I really like Pickering's style. I appreciate the show for simply giving air time to various issues without telling me what to think, couched in a lite-entertainment round-table format. It's perfect dinner television. The show might have a slight slant away from more traditional/conservative views at times, but then, so do I. So do -- well -- young people? It's not strictly brain food, but it's not junk food either. I think we need more of that in current affairs.

Have you watched The Drum? On the ABC at 6pm every night. It's basically the same format. Well a little more serious, but not overly so.

Top Bottom