• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Salazar

These pictures of hot non-asians are not doing it for me. Someone post some k-idols or something.

uokBf.gif

One of those American robot cars.
I like you very, very, very much.

Omi! Send in your cat changer! Vook was clearly trying to steal your thunder.

Edit: It's probably just a bot anyway. I bet if I sent him a picture of my penis, he'd reply "That is a very nice penis. Keep it away from dingoes."
I demand proof or shut the hell up.

Or send me the picture to see why my (and the magistrates) response is.

She was no Sofie Formica though...
Ok, so now I love you.

Uggboot Sofie is showing disdain that it took so long for her to be mentioned:

ZGiLL.jpg

My early gaming progression is as follows:
VIC-20
Atari 2600
Sega Master System
SNES
Playstation 1
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Xbox 360
DSXL
3DS

The way I currently feel, though, this might very well be my last console generation.

ALSO I AM MEGA HYPED BECAUSE I GET TO SEE ROGER WATERS PLAY THE WALL TOMORROW NIGHT! FUCK YEAH!!
MMwbO.jpg

Dead Man

Haven't found anything on the free-to-air channels that is relevant to current events and is light hearted aside from The Project.

Try The Drum. It is not as inane as the project, it is not as focussed on trying to be funny, but it is pretty light while still being in depth instead of current affair/issue---> whacky statement--->next.

Since we've been together (over a decade), my wife has never, ever wanted to watch Blade Runner. Ever. Every time I mentioned I wanted to watch it she'd argue until we watched something else or she'd do something else while I watched alone. This was easily attributable to the fact she studied it in high school (lucky bugger) and thus disliked it. Tonight was different: not only did she watch she whole thing (while I drank scotch using the same glass featured in the movie) but she was willing to discuss it afterward. A watershed moment.

Let's see how long until she'll watch Alien.

Dead Man

Since we've been together (over a decade), my wife has never, ever wanted to watch Blade Runner. Ever. Every time I mentioned I wanted to watch it she'd argue until we watched something else or she'd do something else while I watched alone. This was easily attributable to the fact she studied it in high school (lucky bugger) and thus disliked it. Tonight was different: not only did she watch she whole thing (while I drank scotch using the same glass featured in the movie) but she was willing to discuss it afterward. A watershed moment.

You are a better man than me, I would have left on the spot he first time she didn't want to watch it.

It's my favourite movie too. The fiancee has no interest in watching it but she has slowly come around to playing video games so I expect it to happen eventually. I think the more things we do together that she enjoys, the more likely she will give something a shot with a more open mind than in the past.

I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's with her so it is only fair.

I guess I need a new avatar tomorrow?

Also cod, I don't think my wife has seen bladerunner either... :-/
Use your old one! Or this.
einstein_baby.jpg

Danoss

You monster.

I got off light, hehe.

I bought the director's cut of it when it hit DVD because some other nerds I worked with were excited about it, I hadn't seen it and felt I should, and it was like $12. Most movies I watch, if I don't like it I can understand why lots of people do, if it's popular; this one I can't. I'm unable to wrap my head around what is good about the movie and connects with it's audience.

I'm not trolling or trying to start anything, I truly don't understand the love this film gets. If anyone can explain or elaborate on something, that would be great.

I got off light, hehe.

I bought the director's cut of it when it hit DVD because some other nerds I worked with were excited about it, I hadn't seen it and felt I should, and it was like $12. Most movies I watch, if I don't like it I can understand why lots of people do, if it's popular; this one I can't. I'm unable to wrap my head around what is good about the movie and connects with it's audience.

I'm not trolling or trying to start anything, I truly don't understand the love this film gets. If anyone can explain or elaborate on something, that would be great.

Directors Cut DVD is pointed at as one of the worst transfers ever and wasn't a real directors cut.

Final Cut is pointed at as one of the best transfers you can get, looks incredible on Blu Ray and is the movie that Scott wanted.

I highly recommend even renting The Final Cut copy that should be available for rent near you.

Danoss

Directors Cut DVD is pointed at as one of the worst transfers ever and wasn't a real directors cut.

Final Cut is pointed at as one of the best transfers you can get, looks incredible on Blu Ray and is the movie that Scott wanted.

I highly recommend even renting The Final Cut copy that should be available for rent near you.

Image quality was the least of the problems I had with the film, it wasn't even a factor. The Final Cut would need some drastic changes to make the film enjoyable and engaging for me.

Gazunta

Blade Runner postulates a future where Atari are still around.

Anyway in high school I studied the comic shop across the road, though I do remember one time in English class they made us watch Gallipoli and the teacher tried to explain the VHS Pan &Scan as a film making technique. Ah dear.

Choc

Banned
Didn't a lot of people see beyond the movie at the time and said it was a commentary on the political or cultural world in the US @ the time?

Isn't that one reason its a cult classic?

or am i completely wrong :D I just remember reading about replicants supposedly representing some mistreated group in the US

edit: also the blade runner game is a fucking master piece that deserves a remake

/pours one out for westwood

hamchan

I also studied Blade Runner in high school. Since then I've watched it 10 times maybe. Amazing movie. The book we had to compare it to was Frankenstein. It was decent but I don't think I even finished it. I wasn't a book person back then. I am now though, 9 books read this month.

Choc

Banned
I also studied Blade Runner in high school. Since then I've watched it 10 times maybe. Amazing movie. The book we had to compare it to was Frankenstein. It was decent but I don't think I even finished it. I wasn't a book person back then. I am now though, 9 books read this month.

and an swtor character @ 50

where do you find the time >_<

edit: scary stat

75% of NFL players will be bankrupt within 2 years of retiring

wow

Ventron

Anyway in high school I studied the comic shop across the road, though I do remember one time in English class they made us watch Gallipoli and the teacher tried to explain the VHS Pan &Scan as a film making technique. Ah dear.

Every time someone say "Atari" a former Krome employee's head explodes.

Jintor

edit: also the blade runner game is a fucking master piece that deserves a remake

/pours one out for westwood

Listening to the RA2 soundtrack as we speak. One of the first games I really remember alongside Deus Ex and the original Half-Life. Well okay, I remember RA1, but I wasn't very good at it.

We were talking about our first gaming experiences earlier right? I wasn't kidding when I said PC for life. First console I got was either a Game Boy Colour or a Playstation, but the PC came long before they did. Tyrian, Terminal Velocity, Jazz Jackrabbit, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Red Alert, Rayman... some of my first gaming memories.

Axiom

Even if you don't like Blade Runner, just visually it should be easy to see why people love it and how it is a classic in just aesthetic alone - even

There was a time when I wanted a 10th Doctor jacket...and to be honest it's still that time but my first want was Deckard's.

I still want to rock up to Supanova or Armageddon all deck(ard)ed out, preferably with a friend who can work the Rachael look. Though with the way my hairline is going I'm more likely to be Reginald Barclay by the time the next Melbourne Armageddon rolls around.

I also just realised that if a gal hosted What's Up Doc? I likely had a crush on her.

Dead Man

Oh dear lord.
I got off light, hehe.

For me it is a combination of things. None of which is really the story. The score is brilliant, the cinematography and panoramas in particular are amazing. I am a sucker for modern noir so that is always a draw too. It is not a fast paced film, or one that reaches out and sucks you in, that's for sure, and quite often I like slower paced films. The world they are in is amazing to me as well, such a detailed thing, crafted beautifully.

It is just an outstanding experience to sit through for me.

and an swtor character @ 50

where do you find the time >_<

edit: scary stat

75% of NFL players will be bankrupt within 2 years of retiring

wow

Living beyond your means will do that.

Salazar

I read a philosophy paper about the capacity or attempt to identify replicants being a funnily reflexive analogy for the action of the film's viewer and camera.

It sounded legit.

Top Bottom