• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Deeku

Was Zelda SS a let down for zelda fans? For some reason it feels like it seems to have been a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to places like gaf.

Did anyone in here actually enjoy it? And how well did it sell?

I enjoyed it! Vince did too.

My one complaint is that it kinda dragged on a bit too much in the later parts of the game.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone used 'Crackle' (never heard of it until today)? Apparently there's an app now on the 360 launching today in Australia.

It's got lots of shit on it.

I haven't even finished SS yet, not because of time but because its dragging.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through SS (at a guess). The first temple and a few hours after that (so about the first 10 hours) were treading on extremely familiar ground, but after about 15 hours I found I was really enjoying it, and though it sticks close to the Zelda formula it actually plays with said formula quite a lot and does a lot within those bounds, messing up as much as it can.

If you asked how many dungeons I've done, I couldn't even tell you because there are sections in the meat of the game that could easily be considered dungeons but just occur outside.

I enjoyed it! Vince did too.

My one complaint is that it kinda dragged on a bit too much in the later parts of the game.

That's good to hear. I actually just started playing SS, I just had the second portal open up for me. I thought the game was feeling short, good to hear it is long.

I have not played zelda since the top down on the gameboy and i am loving it.

Reposting from OT. I don't quite understand how women are better than men purely based on the Bolded fact. All that means is that Men get it right 1st in most cases and women just sit there for an extra 5 minutes reparking till it is perfect. This study baffles me.

"A study out of the U.K. found that women are better at parking than men.

National Car Parks, or NCP, is a large operator of parking services in the U.K. The company surveyed 2,500 drivers and rated them on different aspects of driving over a month. With the maximum score of 20, the survey rated women an average of 13.4 and men on average of 12.3, reported The Daily Mail .

"I was quite surprised by the results because, in my experience, men have always been the best learners and usually performed better in lessons," driver instructor Neil Beeson, who designed the test, told the news site.

"However, it's possible that women retain the information better. The report shows that men need to give our partners more respect when it comes to parking. The facts don't lie," said Beeson, who was featured in the documentary, "Last Chance Driving School."

According to a news release from NCP, the survey rated how well each sex successfully completed the following parking tasks:
Appropriate space-finding speed – 64 percent (men), 92 percent (women);
Good or very good "pre-parking pose" – 53 percent (men), 77 percent (women);
Reverse into space – 28 percent (men); 39 percent (women);
Forward into space – 72 percent (men); 61 percent (women);
Speed of maneuver – 16 seconds (men); 21 seconds (women);
Reposition shuffle – 29 percent (men); 56 percent (women);
Central finish – 25 percent (men); 53 percent (women).

The study also tested an ability to correctly position the car before entering the parking bay. It found that some 39 percent of women chose to back into a space (which driving instructors prefer), compared to 28 percent of men, according to The Daily News.

And while 53 percent of women parked centrally in the space (compared to 25 percent of men), 56 percent of women would readjust their car (compared to only 29 percent of men)."

Reposting from OT. I don't quite understand how women are better than men purely based on the Bolded fact. All that means is that Men get it right 1st in most cases and women just sit there for an extra 5 minutes reparking till it is perfect. This study baffles me.

"A study out of the U.K. found that women are better at parking than men.

National Car Parks, or NCP, is a large operator of parking services in the U.K. The company surveyed 2,500 drivers and rated them on different aspects of driving over a month. With the maximum score of 20, the survey rated women an average of 13.4 and men on average of 12.3, reported The Daily Mail .

"I was quite surprised by the results because, in my experience, men have always been the best learners and usually performed better in lessons," driver instructor Neil Beeson, who designed the test, told the news site.

"However, it's possible that women retain the information better. The report shows that men need to give our partners more respect when it comes to parking. The facts don't lie," said Beeson, who was featured in the documentary, "Last Chance Driving School."

According to a news release from NCP, the survey rated how well each sex successfully completed the following parking tasks:
Appropriate space-finding speed – 64 percent (men), 92 percent (women);
Good or very good "pre-parking pose" – 53 percent (men), 77 percent (women);
Reverse into space – 28 percent (men); 39 percent (women);
Forward into space – 72 percent (men); 61 percent (women);
Speed of maneuver – 16 seconds (men); 21 seconds (women);
Reposition shuffle – 29 percent (men); 56 percent (women);
Central finish – 25 percent (men); 53 percent (women).

The study also tested an ability to correctly position the car before entering the parking bay. It found that some 39 percent of women chose to back into a space (which driving instructors prefer), compared to 28 percent of men, according to The Daily News.

And while 53 percent of women parked centrally in the space (compared to 25 percent of men), 56 percent of women would readjust their car (compared to only 29 percent of men)."

100% of me couldn't care less!

Danoss

I could possibly safely say in this thread that the remaining 47% of women, whilst attempting to park centrally, hit a stationary object damaging their own car or someone else's, failing miserably.

But I agree with what Ban said. What did that study actually achieve anyway?

Choc

Banned
remember that thread about a car that almost went over a shopping centre edge and people started posting 'women driver'

etc

like 50 bans in that thread lol

Stackboy

Finished my first game for the year, Uncharted 3. Plenty of fun, just didn't have the awe of UC2. Next I'll finish Saints Row: The Third this week.

I'll probably pick up a Vita on my trip to the States late March.

midonnay

I can do backwards parking better than forward parking (into the rectangle bays).... :/

I often readjust with forward, but reverse parking I always get it perfectly in the middle first time.

Ugh, hate it how people prefer reverse parking into bays. Into parallel spots, sure, but other bays? What exactly do you gain? It's much slower to get in (going from an open space into a constrained space), and only marginally faster to get out (going from a constrained space into an open space). Why would you bother?

Deeku

Yeah. I saw a pic of her, I'm not surprised she was so angry and ban-happy. She had a mustache. I am not kidding.
Now that's not very nice!

Anyway, I suck at parking. No amount of parking sensors or reverse parking cameras can save me. It's worse when someone is waiting behind you when you try to park because you just know they're judging you.

I (try to) reverse into parking bays because it's easier to get out when you leave!

Rezbit

AHHH FUUUUUUUUUU

Just found out the Uni course I was enrolled in was canned, so now I'm sitting here wondering what the fuck I am doing. So frustrating!

Only 25 percent of men parked centrally in the space. So doesn't that mean that Men get it wrong in most cases and then don't bother to correct it?

Yea suppose depends how un-central they were, i made the assumption not being parked perfectly but still an acceptable park.

100% of me couldn't care less!

That is kinda what i was going for, what does it prove or achieve? such a waste of time and i am sure resources from somewhere.

Fredescu

you're more likely to hit someone reversing out of a bay than reversing into a bay?
Unless you're speeding out of the bay at a million miles an hour, have zero spatial and situational awareness skills, and have no mirrors and a blocked view at the back, you're never likely to hit someone in a carpark. If all of those things apply, you were lucky to make it to the car park at all.

What am I supposed to say? "She had a lovely mustache, it was a beauty to behold" ?
Better.

Deeku

On the topic of driving, I really hate it when someone's pretty close behind you, then they swerve out and cut in from of you, like they're saying "you are slow, so I am going to overtake you to show how slow you are, angrily."

Like gees, sorry for going 58 in a 60 zone:/

Choc

Banned
On the topic of driving, I really hate it when someone's pretty close behind you, then they swerve out and cut in from of you, like they're saying "you are slow, so I am going to overtake you to show how slow you are, angrily."

Like gees, sorry for going 58 in a 60 zone:/

never ever drive in sydney deek

you get that when you are doing 65 in a 60

edit: food for thought there was some stats on the tv the other day about revenue from speed cameras

Victoria $248 million

NSW $78 million

I know speed cameras in Vic are nuts, but wow at the difference.

Danoss

I didn't know AusGAF liked 'em hairy. To keep you ravenous fellas satisfied, I took the liberty of adjusting some AusGAF favourites.

2m6Td.jpg

IO6TZ.jpg
MPulW.jpg

Choc

Banned
Victoria got rid of the 10% leeway thing right? Too bad if your speedo error is within ADR standards.

from what ive heard its

64 in NSW before u get clocked but they don't fine until 66-67

Victoria 63 and they fine at 63

WA they fine at 61 (LOL WA thats ridiculous)

edit: a few years ago a victorian MP had the amazing idea to fine people for driving to slowly through speed cameras

Peak hour would have been bank time!

Yeah if you get 'done' at 62, then you're fined. However fixed (or is it the ones that aren't fixed...) cameras have to remove 3 or 3%, whichever is higher. I think.

never ever drive in sydney deek

you get that when you are doing 65 in a 60

edit: food for thought there was some stats on the tv the other day about revenue from speed cameras

Victoria $248 million

NSW $78 million

I know speed cameras in Vic are nuts, but wow at the difference.

Choc's robot car won't let him speed!

Choc

Banned
i remember when i drove to lorne with work a few years back i had a gps and every 200 or so metres along a particular stretch on overpasses there was a camera it told me about

probably would have lost me licence without it

Axiom

I have my license but I hate driving, I know at some point I will be forced to pour money into a car but that day is not yet. I want a mini though.

I was IRC friends with Dragona for years until we lost touch, and she introduced me to GAF - but I never actually saw her.

EB said no to matching on twitter, so I'm asking again in a different way. I want my evidence!

Edit: They still said no

Top Bottom