• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Deeku

I fail to see how that is any different to the girl power fad that the late 90s saw. Movies, magazines, endless tv coverage. The only difference is the military precision of the cash exploitation, and that is just a natural evolution.

I guess what I resent most is that bands that get the most success tend to be established bands that have members audition to be a part of a fixed style, rather than ones where talented musicians form a band and succeed on their own terms. People in groups like SNSD or whatever may well be talented, but they sure dont seem to be doing it on their own.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I'm looking at bands like Queen when I'm setting the (impossibly high?) standard here.
These groups are only a small part of the pop genre though. Queen like bands do exist in the J and K pops and are equally if not more popular.

Salazar

I fail to see how that is any different to the girl power fad that the late 90s saw. Movies, magazines, endless tv coverage. The only difference is the military precision of the cash exploitation, and that is just a natural evolution.

It is different. There's much less money, much more intimacy or naturalness - purely by virtue of it being smaller, there are many more groups competing and cooperating in the same sphere. It's not that it's more precise - although it probably is more precise. It's just cultivated and shaped in a weekly format - which gives it a tempo and a sense of regularity that the big pop crazes in the US and the UK didn't have.

These big experimental ventures - appearing on Letterman, in Teen Nick movies - are a weird and novel thing.

I guess what I resent most is that bands that get the most success tend to be established bands that have members audition to be a part of a fixed style, rather than ones where talented musicians form a band and succeed on their own terms. People in groups like SNSD or whatever may well be talented, but they sure dont seem to be doing it on their own.

I can't resent it. Admittedly, there is a stupendous amount of artifice involved, but when you appreciate how much work they put in, it feels awkward to look down on them for it.

Yagharek

I'm going out for dinner, and I'll try and think of an effective way to say what I'm trying to say when I reference Queen. It's not because of their style, their composition or flamboyancy. More to do with their origin and trajectory - as well as the reason the band existed at all.

when you appreciate how much work they put in, it feels awkward to look down on them for it.

This is one thing I'm not criticising at all.

Echoplx

You are all clearly wrong, videogame music is best music!

I seriously haven't listened to 'normal' music for at least a year

Salazar

Are these really experiments? To me they seem like serious attempts to get US mainstream exposure.

JYP is deadly serious about the Wonder Girls and has been for years. That's true.

Soshi Letterman thing happened because Interscope signed them. They haven't gone anywhere near as all-in as WG, and probably won't.

Have just finished Alice: Madness Returns, which makes my total number of games finished this year 3. Even though I'm proud of this, it's just a small nick in my backlog.

Alice was a fine, fine game indeed. I know it's rote to use this phrase but I'm going to use it anyway because it applicable to this game: it's a flawed gem. I enjoyed the narrative and the controls, while not as precise as I'd like them to be, didn't hinder my enjoyment in the least.

I think it was predominately overlooked last year for any sort of mention in people's game of the year. I'm not saying it should have been up there in serious contention with your Skyrims or Zeldas - or whatever won the majority of the awards - but it deserved to be mentioned, I think, as part of the highlights of a very overcrowded year.

I say all this knowing that Alice is a favoured story from my childhood and adult life and played up many of the darker overtones that I felt the story had. This very easily could have coloured my opinion of the mechanics and narrative of the game. This, however, is part of the fundamental principles of forming an opinion about a product, so, you know...

At this stage I'm not sure if I should play American McGee's Alice right away or leave it for further down the track. My fear is that another 10 hours of Alice might just take me over the edge into "too much, too soon."

Now, the problem is, what do I play next if I don't?

PS- I know a couple of the fine fellow in AusGAF played it when it first came out. Possibly Cookie and... Rez? Of those that did, what were your opinions?

Talking about games? Sorry, guys :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't do a top ten, but if I did, Alice would have almost certainly been on it. I really loved it. The combat was surprisingly well executed (even the small things, like changes in enemy sounds and animations as they get lower on health) and the platforming was rewarding.

If you played platformers in the 90s and enjoyed them, Alice is a no-brainer.

Salazar

Yeah, Alice was beautiful.

I got frustrated with the jumping, and I ordinarily just fuck a game off if that happens, but it was so nice I stuck at it. Those spider teapot enemies are motherfuckers.

Alice was another EA partners game that the developers never organised enough marketing in order to make it a hit. Same happened with Shadows of the Damned. Just limped into stores and sold accordingly. I think Alice ended up okay with the positive word of mouth and Steam sale.

EDIT: 4/5 - great game, great fun, great art design, niggling issues with gameplay held it back a bit for me.

Fogz

PS- I know a couple of the fine fellow in AusGAF played it when it first came out. Possibly Cookie and... Rez? Of those that did, what were your opinions?

Talking about games? Sorry, guys :(

I really liked what I played of Madness Returns, but then I lost my save and couldn't be bothered starting over again :( I'll get back to it one day.

Played through the first Alice years and years ago. I probably wouldn't bother with it nowadays.

At this stage I'm not sure if I should play American McGee's Alice right away or leave it for further down the track. My fear is that another 10 hours of Alice might just take me over the edge into "too much, too soon."

I tried to play the first game before jumping into Madness Returns and couldn't really get into it.

Very much enjoyed Madness Returns once I moved onto it, though.

Shaneus

So should I continue to try and knock C&C3 off my backlog or jump into a cheevo run on Space Marine? Only played half of it at my in-laws so far.

Shaneus you were right about Rosemary Grain Wave knockoffs. Has a hint of onion ring about them. The gf also loved them. I will assume they are healthy? :(
I know, right? I know the quality of the chips themselves aren't the greatest (need to be thicker and more uniform in their waveyness) but the flavour is zomgamazing. Kinda like chicken stuffing.

Omikron

I tried to play the first game before jumping into Madness Returns and couldn't really get into it.

Very much enjoyed Madness Returns once I moved onto it, though.

I imagine the original would feel a fairly old school 3d platformer now. Really enjoyed it back in the day however.

I know, right? I know the quality of the chips themselves aren't the greatest (need to be thicker and more uniform in their waveyness) but the flavour is zomgamazing. Kinda like chicken stuffing.

I actually like the thickness how it is, if it was thicker I think I would get sick of them quicker. Plus it is nice to have a lighter, fluffy almost, chip as a snack rather than using them as a replacement meal.

It gets a stay of execution and I have removed the chicken milk bomb from your back doorstep.

Okay I'm hearing Queen and K-pop mentioned in the same sentence. You mother fuckers better explain yourself >:|

A kPOP tribute would be a step up from this dreck
Queen-and-Adam-Lambert.jpg

Rezbit

Reptile let's be honest dog, Queen features Freddie Mercury. After the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert, it's been pretty much cash-in :(

I remember when John Farnham got a gig with Queen, I was stunned. I mean I like The Voice, but in Queen?

Darklord

Banned
So this chick I've been into at my work and wanted to ask out(though hesitant because I normally don't like asking people out that I work with if it all turns south). I always thought she was like 22-23, I found out she's 17. I mean still legal and everything but that's a 6 year maturity gap...

Now I'm reconsidering even trying. :|

Danoss

I'm also keen on an older girl. Have been for like 3 months. Let me just say over 30 :|

Also I dedicate this song to Salazar. You're the voice buddy.

I've long said that older women are great, but I'm getting ever so close to being the same age as them.

Great song. I was 5 when that came out too. I still remember the old joke about him:

Why does John Farnham sit on the toilet so long?
To keep the pressure down.

Deeku

I don't know, I don't think I could relate to a 17 year old. It would be like hanging out with your teenage daughter that hates you or something.

Shaneus

I actually like the thickness how it is, if it was thicker I think I would get sick of them quicker. Plus it is nice to have a lighter, fluffy almost, chip as a snack rather than using them as a replacement meal.

It gets a stay of execution and I have removed the chicken milk bomb from your back doorstep.
I told you the eggs were only for safe keeping! They were Christmas eggs.

You got me hankering for them though. And now you mention it, the lightness is good. I'm also impressed that they've managed to almost perfectly mimic the "legit" sweet chili of Grain Waves, too. Makes those twofer deals easier to dive into.

Hey AusGAF. We're all feeling pretty loose and relaxed, yes? Okay to let a slightly risque, possibly barely racist and offensive joke slide for the sake of offering a laugh?

Well, fuck ya then, telling it anyway.

What's black and screams loudly?
Stevie Wonder answering the iron.

Jintor

So somehow my review code of Analogue: A Hate Story has somehow managed to fold in on itself and reliably produce exception errors every time I attempt to access the options menu to, let's say, load a save file because it randomly produced an exception error when I attempted to bring up the options menu to save.

This is a friggin' visual novel I'm talking about here.

i dont see no joke rezbit.
edit: oh there it is. thread didnt update.
edit2: how is that racist?
You are all clearly wrong, videogame music is best music!

I seriously haven't listened to 'normal' music for at least a year

that reminds me i got that music ost bundle thing i should dl and listen to

I've long said that older women are great, but I'm getting ever so close to being the same age as them.

im no science man but im not sure thats how that works.

Teenagers are obnoxious, not cute!
not that im a lady either but im a teen :(

Darklord

Banned
She'd probably just talk about stupid unimportant shit that happened on facebook and how it's ruining her life.

I don't think she's THAT shallow but who the hell knows with 17 year olds? And if it all turns to shit I gotta work with her every week.

Danoss

I don't think she's THAT shallow but who the hell knows with 17 year olds? And if it all turns to shit I gotta work with her every week.

Heh, it's my young girl stereotype, which probably isn't too far off the mark. To me, they're usually melodramatic and therefore dangerous to get tangled up, especially in a work environment.

The first time I was interested in a girl at work and in blew up in my face was many years ago. I was 22 and I believe she was around that age too. An English backpacker who was working temporarily near where I was on my floor. I was flirting with her, all pretty harmless and discovered she had a boyfriend, so I backed off. I was still friendly with her of course, just as I am to anyone else, no different. I started getting attitude from her out of nowhere, so I threw some back, nothing nasty or anything. Next thing I was called up to HR as she decided to file sexual harassment against me! I walked away from it easily, since it was all bullshit to begin with.

I told my work colleagues (we were a very close-knit team) what had happened and she wasn't a popular girl after that. They knew I'm not that type of person and so they wouldn't stand for the stunt she just pulled. She was made very uncomfortable because of this and ended up leaving.

This situation could've easily gone the other way if I didn't work with such great people who knew me well.

The second and last time I was interested in a girl at work, I mentioned that I thought she was alright to someone else. That person went straight to her and informed her I liked her. I then get told by a good friend at work that she had a chat with him (since she knew we were friends), said that she knew I liked her and that if I even spoke to her, she would report me. If that's not totally neurotic, I don't know what is. I hadn't said much of anything to this girl prior, besides "good morning" and "happy birthday" when that time of year rolled around and there was cake. She was another young one, about 20 or 21.

I'm generally a friendly guy, but it's situations like the above that have made me pull my head in and be very bloody careful.

Workplace relationships or flings are a bad idea and young girls are retarded.

im no science man but im not sure thats how that works.

When I was younger, I'd be interested in older girls around 30-35. I still quite like girls around that age, but just turned 30 myself. Make sense?

Jintor

So somehow my review code of Analogue: A Hate Story has somehow managed to fold in on itself and reliably produce exception errors every time I attempt to access the options menu to, let's say, load a save file because it randomly produced an exception error when I attempted to bring up the options menu to save.

This is a friggin' visual novel I'm talking about here.

Updated to latest version and thing fixed, carry on ya'll.

So this chick I've been into at my work and wanted to ask out(though hesitant because I normally don't like asking people out that I work with if it all turns south). I always thought she was like 22-23, I found out she's 17. I mean still legal and everything but that's a 6 year maturity gap...

Go for it. I've sampled my share of 16 - 18 year olds in years past and it's a glorious age, 17. They haven't quite got the confidence of an 18 year old who's experienced nightlife, but they're largely beyond the 'LOL cutesy' stage. Plus they're hot, and are invariably cute and fresh-faced.
KuGsj.gif

At 23 you can get away with it. 25 and it's a slightly different story.

Darklord

Banned
Go for it. I've sampled my share of 16 - 18 year olds in years past and it's a glorious age, 17. They haven't quite got the confidence of an 18 year old who's experienced nightlife, but they're largely beyond the 'LOL cutesy' stage. Plus they're hot, and are invariably cute and fresh-faced.
KuGsj.gif

At 23 you can get away with it. 25 and it's a slightly different story.

If it was a one night thing, then sure. However, even just recently I saw a relationship with a 17 year old go up in flames. I mentioned it in the dating thread and people were just like "NO!". Fuck it, I'll test the water and see how it goes. My life kinda sucks at the moment so if it goes bad, just purge everything related to it and start again. That's the thing about rock bottom, if you fall, it's only a short drop!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hit it and quit it darklord, teach her the ways of the dark lord etc etc.

Alice madness returns was an awesome game. The platforming was really well done along with the level design. I always found myself looking for all the secrets since it never felt like I needed to go halfway around the place to pick any up. After a few levels you get where the secrets should be just because of the level design. Combat was good and flowed well. There wasn't too many weapons which was a good thing and the spacing out between the introduction of each one was excellent.

I never played the first one either, I might have attempted many moons ago when It was first out but there was a good chance my pc at the time wasn't up to scratch. Madness returns is totally worth your time. It felt like a long game but I believe it only took me 11hrs or so. Would need to double check steam.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

High school = no

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Goddamn my sleep cycle is up the shit. Ive been having 3 to 5 hour naps at scattered intervals, awake all hours of the night. I dont think ive had an actual full nights sleep in days. On the plus side, this secondapps gaf reader owns.

Top Bottom