• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Danoss

It still can be a social experience. It's just you need to find what works for you. If you'd rather talk about them than play them, then maybe that's what works better for you anyway.

Honestly man, I've tried. There's the odd occasion where I have a blast, but unfortunately, those became so rare that I stopped looking. I've given genres I dislike and am terrible at a second and third chance, I've tried new things altogether, nothing has worked. Talking about games isn't interesting or fun, not when the medium itself isn't much of a draw. None of what I'm saying is from lack of trying. It's not a snap judgment or rash decision. Video games are no longer for me.

I've spent more money than I care to count on video games and in the end, it has all been for naught. Pen and paper RPGs and board games have brought me more joy in total recently than video games have in the last decade. To me that speaks volumes.

You've all seen my recent board game purchases, which I look forward to playing all of them soon. My RPG collection is a different story altogether, game systems, source books, supplements and adventures. I have more than you see here in PDF form, mostly adventures for the games you see. I could not add another thing to these shelves and have enough social gaming fun to last me the rest of my life (the CoC adventure "Masks of Nyarlathotep" would be a year or so in itself). I thought I'd share, even though for most of you, this isn't your thing at all.

Also, one of these things is not like the other.

MsmRr.jpg

AM4BE.jpg

i5GDk.jpg

The only games I buy nowadays to stay 'up to date' are games where community matters, and I'm interested in playing that game with the community of some sort.

Otherwise I'm happy with sitting back and waiting until something I really want comes out at a price I'm willing to pay. Not many games come out that I'll pay full price* for, and after last year's annual week one purchases (the latest COD, Assassin's Creed), there's nothing this year (including COD, Assassin's Creed) that I intend on buying at full price. I find games I think I want come and go, and I'll forget about them until they're deathly cheap and worth a go at a low price.

* $72 or whatever Kmart/Big W/whoever charges.

Deeku

My current bookshelf is boxes of crap:/

When I have my own house, I'm getting one of those massive bookshelves that's like a wall!

Danoss

Due to lack of space, my 2 x IKEA jobs are double stacked :(

An IKEA bookshelf is what those books are on in my pics, they're pretty good value. Due to my lack of space, most of my books are stored in drawers and cupboards. I only keep the ones that have regular use or will be reading soon out.

When I have my own house, I'm getting one of those massive bookshelves that's like a wall!

Me too man.

Been a fair while since I've bought a game full price. I think Portal 2 was the last, and before that I can't remember. Wait, I lied. I did pick up TOR. Still, before Portal 2, and after my return to the PC, I can't remember a full priced game purchase.

During the last steam sale I only picked up a couple of small games (Anomaly: Warzone, the Overlord pack and Fate of the World). At this point I'm fairly content with my collection. I'm no doubt entering another gaming lull where I all but swear off the activity for the next 6 months or so. Similar to Rooster, my reading time has picked up the slack left by my lack of gaming.

My reading time varies between two massive extremes. When I find a book or series I enjoy, I'll devour it as quickly as possible via any means necessary. Then I'll come across a book I don't enjoy, and I won't read anything for six or eight months until I admit to myself I've given up on that book and should really read something else.

Interesting:
There’s five-foot-seven Danny Woodhead of the Patriots, a player considered too small even for Division I college football, who went to the only place that wanted him, a little school in Nebraska called Chadron State, where he worked his ass off, and by the time he graduated, he was college football’s all-time leading rusher. He’s still so anonymous that he worked at a sporting goods store on a day off last year and pretty much no one recognized him. Now he’s a running back for a team in the goddamned Super Bowl.

http://therumpus.net/2012/02/a-super-bowl-preview-for-people-who-don%E2%80%99t-watch-football/

Article goes on to talk about the short career for NFL players (average three years) and the stat choc mentioned the other day (78% are bankrupt less than two years after they retire).

this is the stuff I bothered to bring with me when I moved into campus living on Sunday.

Aks_HzaCAAEXOVB.jpg:medium

Only Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby are read.
Up to Part 2 of Jane Eyre.

Deus Ex and Just Cause 2 are unopened lol.
And I've played Red Dead and Vanquish for only an hour each.

Haven't watched any of Six Feet Under or The Sopranos yet. (besides seeing an episode of each on TV back in the day)
Watched a few episodes of Shameless. Seen all of The Inbetweeners.

For sure

Clipper

Week-long commitments meaning little-to-no surfing time are over, so yay! Now for some fun time...

OK, so AusGAF DnD night is on Monday the 6th at 7:00pm as per usual. This will be the second night of the adventure.

Also, I hope we're still set for the 12th for SydGAF Board Game day (or was it night). Have you guys decided on preferred time and venue while I've been away? Munchkin did already arrive, so that leaves more room for other stuff, I guess, Danoss.

Week-long commitments meaning little-to-no surfing time are over, so yay! Now for some fun time...

OK, so AusGAF DnD night is on Monday the 6th at 7:00pm as per usual. This will be the second night of the adventure.

Also, I hope we're still set for the 12th for SydGAF Board Game day (or was it night). Have you guys decided on preferred time and venue while I've been away? Munchkin did already arrive, so that leaves more room for other stuff, I guess, Danoss.

Clipper is ALIVE!

Count me in for that one if there is space mate. Will need to know what to update for you.

Also if you can spare some help on iirc/steam some time for me that would be awesome.

Danoss

I'm still good for this. It looks like it's a toss-up between your place and UNSW. Since they're both quite close together, I'm not fussed where. I guess it's wherever is going to be the most convenient and comfortable.

I assumed daytime to make public transport options easier for everyone.

this is the stuff I bothered to bring with me when I moved into campus living on Sunday.

Aks_HzaCAAEXOVB.jpg:medium

Only Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby are read.
Up to Part 2 of Jane Eyre.

Deus Ex and Just Cause 2 are unopened lol.
And I've played Red Dead and Vanquish for only an hour each.

Haven't watched any of Six Feet Under or The Sopranos yet. (besides seeing an episode of each on TV back in the day)
Watched a few episodes of Shameless. Seen all of The Inbetweeners.

For sure

Get amongst Red Dead and Sopranos! Red Dead could be the best game of the generation. I thought the end was a bit of a waste but that's close to my only complaint

And Sopranos is worthy of every piece of praise it got. Fantastic show. Every time I thought it was at it's peak it would raise the bar again.

Axiom

The end game of Star Wars is a terrible unpolished version of the daily quest grind in WoW, without any of the lessons that WoW has learned or anything to look forward to story wise - which is the one major innovation of SWTOR. When there were lulls in the story with my Sith Sorc I felt no reason to play and the story goes away completely at the end so you're left with a less innovative and less polished version of Rift, let alone WoW...that said, I'll make it through more of the Imperial Agent storyline before I quit.

bookshelf.jpg

Luckily about the only thing my cousin couldn't steal from me to sell was my comic collection. Really want to get the complete Bond series in hardcover, the covers are amazing but sadly finding a copy of Thunderball in the CBD for $10 was a stroke of luck not to be repeated
lp1874.jpg

hamchan

Video games have usurped my bookshelf space. My Kindle holds all the books I actually want to read. Uni textbooks go on the floor next to my desk.

Clipper

Clipper is ALIVE!

Count me in for that one if there is space mate. Will need to know what to update for you.

Also if you can spare some help on iirc/steam some time for me that would be awesome.
Sure, hit up Steam later. Sorry, but I forgot to get back onto IRC today.

Choc

Banned
so in that thread a girl says a man cant masturbate

fuckin wat?

:|

thats insane.

if that is a troll account than bravo

midonnay

deja vu.....

Former prime minister Bob Hawke may have the answer to current Prime Minister Julia Gillard's political woes: drink more beer.

This afternoon, Ms Gillard lamented that, over the summer, Mr Hawke got more media attention for beer swilling than she did for sports funding.

"Hawkie got more press coverage for downing that beer in what looked to me to be pretty record time than I got in announcing $95 million in cricket infrastructure at Adelaide, Sydney and Hobart."

In January, Mr Hawke, 82, skulled a beer in front of an ecstatic crowd, while watching India play Australia at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"Next time I make an announcement, expect me to do it with a beer in my hand and to be trying to equal Bob's best," Ms Gillard said today.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/hawk...ard-laments-20120203-1qxb1.html#ixzz1lIkgMlpG

legend166

I just watched that video of that K-Pop group performing on Letterman.

I don't get it.

It was truly terrible.

You guys actually like this stuff non-ironically?

hamchan

I don't get it.

It was truly terrible.

You guys actually like this stuff non-ironically?
It's one of their bad songs and they were in a cramped space. I'm not much of a fan of the big girl groups but I do like a few of their songs and I do like other Korean artists like Clazziquai and IU.

Jintor

That was considered to be a not very-good performance apparently.

I dunno, I haven't seen it at all. Closest I got to K-pop was my plethora of Tumblr blogs and wandering into a K-pop New Years Festival by accident last weekend while on a pseudo-date.

Salazar

Yeah. Not a good single in the first place. Then they translated the lyrics. And then they remixed it. And then they flew to New York, got off the plane and onto a tiny stage, and predictably - magic didn't exactly happen.

Kpop is better than that performance.

What the fuck, incidentally, at Bill Shorten warning Julia Gillard against triggering a leadership spill.

Why the fuck would she, Bill ? She's the fucken leader.

the one girls generation song I happen to hear (besides that letterman performance)....

they totally ripped off Rhianna.

wut.

Dead Man

Woo redistricting! No longer represented by Christopher Pyne, go go Adelaide electorate! On the downside, it is 2 less votes for anyone other than Pyne. Sturt is pretty safe though, not really much chance of the libs losing it I don't think.

Channel 9 is axing excess baggage

wow

That seems abrupt, it's been on what 2 weeks?

legend166

The Band performed one of the best damn concerts of all time on a tiny little stage. Don't give me that excuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqJJdiG61jo

I just wanted an excuse to post a link to a youtube clip of The Band. Pick out the completely drugged out Neil Young!

Give me a youtube link to what you think best represents K-Pop.

Salazar

That seems abrupt, it's been on what 2 weeks?

Successful fat people getting less fat are tolerable.

Unsuccessful fat people are toxic.

The Band performed one of the best damn concerts of all time on a tiny little stage. Don't give me that excuse.

lol, but they don't dance.

This is at least how Soshi perform non jetlagged, in Korean, on a decent stage. It's just beautiful people dancing and catchy music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMSY-UcQgQY

Top Bottom