• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Just saw the thread about SEGA Australia on the Gaming side =[

Why would I listen to it on YouTube when I have high quality CD rips of the Immersion box set? =P

Because you for some reason forgot to put them onto your phone/ipod like I did?

And that's shit about Sega. This is getting ridiculous. Hopefully they all land on their feet.

Clipper

Potentially interested, any Settlers of Catan action on the agenda?
I don't think any of us own it, so probably not. Let us know of your interest soon as it probably would mean a change of venue to UNSW... Also, if you're interested, where do you live and how would you be traveling (so we can work out whether you can transfer anybody/anything).

Please tell me you weren't running with them!

no! i was standing still! they were those curving pointy nail scissors, i was cutting the price tag off of my first school backpack.. somehow i got distracted and, well, by stabbed i mean horizontally sliced across the surface. fuck knows why my parents let me do that. they never did again hey.

last time i went and had my eyes tested they did a laser topography scan of the eye surface, around the edges is fine but the middle has a mass of scar tissue that apparently nothing can be done about. it was 1984 when it happened so i think they just stitched it shut with some hemp twine and called it a day. two weeks in hospital and i wasn't allowed to read or watch tv. they even put me in an empty ward so i wouldn't try and look at the other kids or something.

No glasses.

I regret not getting tickets to Roger Waters now, even though my girlfriend's dad offered to buy them for us one night last year. :(

Valentine's Day is shit.

Bogans are amusing. I especially enjoyed your poem Fred.

Rezbit, did you get the uni situation sorted out?

Choc

Banned
expect studios to continue to close until the AU$ drops

if it ever does

its more expensive to have a house here now then the US and that was not the case 5 years ago

Some of our employment conditions (which are good) that the US don't have are significantly causing this as well

if you want to be a game dev you need to go overseas imo

Rezbit

The time has come, the bogan said
To talk of other things
of cigs and cunts and starry tatts,
Of cabbages and fings

Hahaha. You magnificent bastard. Liked the use of "fings."

No glasses.

I regret not getting tickets to Roger Waters now, even though my girlfriend's dad offered to buy them for us one night last year. :(

Valentine's Day is shit.

Bogans are amusing. I especially enjoyed your poem Fred.

Rezbit, did you get the uni situation sorted out?

Essentially the course has been canned due to lack of government funding and low enrolments, but I was offered a place in an alternative. Trouble is it's quite a bit harder and more time-consuming (honours with a research project.) Still deciding whether to go back to my old work in Melbourne, try and find something permanent down here or do the uni thing. Thanks for asking anyway, fapp!

Clipper

So am I supposed to finish FFXIII before starting FFXIII-2?

I kinda can't be bothered though.

Come over for SydGAF Board Game day and you can play/watch the ending on my projector as we play board games :p. Well, unless we end up moving to UNSW. I'm not going to lug the PS3 into Uni...

I'm not going to get XIII-2 until it drops in price. I waited until XIII was $20 and I'm glad I did.

Echoplx

Prepare your anus Brisbane

ibyBif0X7OetxM.png

Choc

Banned
PALGN is a video game website for VIDEO GAMES, not for tampons, not for maxi pads, not for some bullshit auctioning site and certainly not for free iPhones. How can you expect anyone to take this place seriously if that's what they're greeted with on the home page? Assuming the home page loads up in the first place.

What little remains of the fragile PALGN community has no interest in seeing or reading about the latest and greatest moisture absorption statistics

*citizen kane.gif*

wow lol

PALGN is a video game website for VIDEO GAMES, not for tampons, not for maxi pads, not for some bullshit auctioning site and certainly not for free iPhones. How can you expect anyone to take this place seriously if that's what they're greeted with on the home page? Assuming the home page loads up in the first place.

What little remains of the fragile PALGN community has no interest in seeing or reading about the latest and greatest moisture absorption statistics

*citizen kane.gif*

wow lol

To be honest the URL sounds like dog food and not video games.

Interesting. I've never run into a problem when leading with the year on any database server (Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL), when using raw SQL and YYYY-MM-DD. However in Oracle I usually to a TO_DATE.

Also I hate Oracle.
God damn it I hate Oracle with all my being.
Also since we have a common link, Blackboard is horrible.

In other news: I have a job interview on Thursday! I am so nervous! A friend of mine helped set it up, hopefully it doesn't go too badly.
Congrats! Make sure to relax and remember what Jintor said. Fake some quiet confidence about yourself. Make them feel comfortable around you.

You probably need to be fitted for them again Holy. That should happen every 2 years for glasses and maybe 1 year for contacts, I'm not 100% on the time between contact tests. You're over the 2 year mark, so get your eyes examined for both, it's free on Medicare.
Yeah I hadn't been rechecked in 7 years when I got a new prescription end of last year. ClearlyContacts have free frames for new customers so the whole thing only cost me $70 for a pretty awesome pair!

Hey ausGAF, just got my account verified :) im in the curious position of living in the worlds best city Melbourne as well as the worlds boringest city in Geelong. been lurking Gaf and ausgaf for 2 years
GeeGAF! We should hang out sometime.
Oh...
:(

Heading to Geelong tomorrow. Going to be the worst day of the week.
No you are. Also Halo CE arrived!

check, what strength are your contacts?
Mine are -6.0.
Let's see who has the worst eyes in AusGAF!
-3 and -3.5

Glasses?
NFI what my settings are, I am stubborn and quite often refuse to wear them.
I didn't start wearing them until I started working full time in a job where I had to read addresses all the time so I felt bad if I didn't wear them as I wouldn't be operating at my peak potential. Have had them since start of high school.

ergh living in geelong in the week after they won the premierships was unbearable, it was one big city wide circle jerk
Amen to that. All the shops pimping the club only when they were winning was intolerable.

37 gone from Sega Australia.

You stupid games industry remind me to kick you in the balls one day.
At least you have found a solid career dude, hopefully others can carve themselves a spot in the same industry but in a more predictive job.

Unless you want to start your own company/indie. Indie in Australia is probably among the better in the world. BUT, shitty anything else.

It's why I'm making my own indie game then throwing it at companies later on. Also check out Tsumea, there's at least 100 gaming companies around AUs.

Deeku

Come over for SydGAF Board Game day and you can play/watch the ending on my projector as we play board games :p. Well, unless we end up moving to UNSW. I'm not going to lug the PS3 into Uni...
lol

Anyway, I just checked my XIII save and it has 17 hours on it - Chapter 7. So I dunno, maybe I'll go back and rush through it? Or just read through the beginner's primer. FFXIII-2 is already amazing because omg save anywhere!

I only ever went to palgn for their bargain list and the game exchange:(

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bought a book online, got this email as confirmation when it was shipped.

lol.

Hello Nick,

(Your book(s) asked to write you a personal note - it seemed unusual, but who are we to say no?)

Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!

I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Jane Eyre (drama queen) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Jane was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?

I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.

But hey, enough about me, I've been asked to brief you on a few things:

We sent your order to the following address:

Order #: ********

We provide quick shipping service to all our customers. You chose shipping, your book should arrive within 7 - 14 business days. At this time, we are not able to offer tracking on these shipments.

We wanted to let you know that we have seen quite a few shipping delays to Australia of late. Our shipping partner has informed us this is a result of a rather large backlog in customs due to a higher than normal shipping volume. We have been assured that they are making every effort to process shipments in a timely fashion, however we wanted to alert you to this potential delay. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact my friends at Customer Care by submitting a ticket.. If you could please include your order number (*********) that would be very helpful.

Eagerly awaiting our meeting,

Pokemon Snap (Pathways to Adventure)

Shaneus

Hey ausGAF, just got my account verified :) im in the curious position of living in the worlds best city Melbourne as well as the worlds boringest city in Geelong. been lurking Gaf and ausgaf for 2 years
Hey! High five. I work in Melbs and live in Geelong...s. Welcome to AusGAF. Enjoy your stay.

Hey reptile, know what's awesome? Not only knowing you have a few episodes of S3 to download of Archer, but finding out that there was a 3-ep special AND I was missing the last three episodes of S2. So, so, so so good.

Danoss

Congrats! Make sure to relax and remember what Jintor said. Fake some quiet confidence about yourself. Make them feel comfortable around you.

Thanks, to you and all the other well-wishers, I'll do my best. I'm a bit more reserved these days, especially after looking after my family full time for so long. I'm hoping whatever my mate has told them helps me across the line. Fingers crossed.

Yeah I hadn't been rechecked in 7 years when I got a new prescription end of last year. ClearlyContacts have free frames for new customers so the whole thing only cost me $70 for a pretty awesome pair!

Specsavers is pretty great value also, their 2-for-1 deals are well worth a look (prescription sunnies or a spare in case you break or lose one). They may not be brand name frames, but honestly who cares? I actually thought the majority of branded frames there looked terrible. As long as they look good and suit you, that's what counts.

Funnily enough, I was at Sunglass Hut buying some regular sunnies to wear when I have contacts in. The girl looked at the prescription pair I had on and said, sincerely "They're Prada, right?" Nope a cheap pair from Specsavers, shows how much brand matters.

For contacts, I get fitted at the shop and then buy online, the price difference is huge. WebContacts is the place I buy mine from.

here's what I have learned

Canada- maybe. learn French and you have a decent shot in Montreal

US- good luck and probably not if you don't have a degree and aren't a programmer

UK- LOL nearly as bad as here. also getting a UK visa is not a trivial thing

mainland Europe- places like Remedy, Quantic Dream, Guerrilla, IO, a few places in Sweden, but you'd still need decent experience to be considered. Also mobile is not considered always decent experience for a AAA developer.

als0- no book better not smart mouth me

Singapore- lots of scope

China and India- well, there's a lot of people in China and India.

Either way, get some experience while you are here. Even when all of the places here were closing, the remaining locals were still importing people for jobs.

Pro tip- if your heritage (either by both or marriage) allows you to get a passport in a country with strong games industry (or if you can get a passport for ANY EU country which allows you to work anywhere else in the EU).

Yug

I've been a lurker for the better part of 5 years, figured I should start participating here a bit more often!

How many Sydney siders are there here? Are there regular drinking catchups and events, cause if there are, I'm keen.

As an introduction, I'm the guy who owns AustralianGamer.com, the two Mana Bar videogame Cocktail bars, and I do marketing for MCV Pacific.

Cheers!
Yug

Card Boy

Banned
I've been a lurker for the better part of 5 years, figured I should start participating here a bit more often!

How many Sydney siders are there here? Are there regular drinking catchups and events, cause if there are, I'm keen.

As an introduction, I'm the guy who owns AustralianGamer.com, the two Mana Bar videogame Cocktail bars, and I do marketing for MCV Pacific.

Cheers!
Yug

Mana Bar guy? You need more games out the back in the Melbourne one.

Jezabel

Cheers!
Yug

wow you own mana bar? that place is awesome man congratulations

Clipper

Cheers!
Yug

We finally resolved to hold our first SydGAF meetup (the second of which will be this weekend, although with an additional board game hook) when it became clear that the Sydney Mana Bar wasn't going to happen any time soon, if that helps :p

Choc! You're copy of Halo CE arrived today. I noticed it didn't have a proper case so I googled around and found a cool bit of art that was made for the release and used the templates in the Custom Artwork thread to whip one up.

halo_ce_boxart_3dlmk3k.png

Going to fire it up tomorrow after work so I can crank the volume up for that first step out on Halo.

Cheers!
Yug
We usually have a list but apparently it has gotten stale according to some people...

Anyway so the Melbourne Mana Bar is open? I don't remember the opening being discussed on here, only the endless wanting.

Cheers!
Yug

Haha classic GAF, you introduce yourself and people rag on you about no Sydney bar. Anyway welcome dude.

Top Bottom