• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MCV posted a link to a pastebin re: PALGN. Eat, should I link or no?

It's kinda stupid semantics, but you can link to the MCV article if you want, but preferably not the pastebin, even though the MCV does that too.

Deeku

I'm faking self-confidence, but since self-confidence is nothing more than projection, if you fake it enough it becomes real

MCV posted a link to a pastebin re: PALGN. Eat, should I link or no?
I probably couldn't get over someone, then like someone else, and then get them to like me back so quickly!

Omikron

424105_363879790306673_107516902609631_1276149_957683474_n.jpg

Just read some of that PALGN email thread on Pastebin. Frankly it sounds like the writers already wanted to walk right from the start, and no matter what the Roland guy said they wanted out.

That said, it seems like there was a further 12-18 months of build-up before the contents of that post. If it were just the contents of that post, I'd side with Roland, considering the writers to be a bunch of whiners.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just read some of that PALGN email thread on Pastebin. Frankly it sounds like the writers already wanted to walk right from the start, and no matter what the Roland guy said they wanted out.

We didn't want to walk. We wanted to write for a website we've invested months (in some cases years) of our personal time, unpaid, into, hence why we stuck around for so long trying to sort things out. And yes, this has been an ongoing issue for longer than I care to mention.

Simple example of how messed up things are; we don't even have a Vita category to assign to relevant news. We cant add the category as none of the active, regular staff have access to the admin server. We're literally going nowhere.

We didn't want to walk. We wanted to write for a website we've invested months (in some cases years) of our personal time
Like I said, I only based what I said on what was in that Pastebin thing. Given that there was another year or two of frustration leading up to it, by that time I'm sure everyone had a gutful.

I sort of feel for Roland though on a technical level, because I know how frustrating it is for users to demand upgrades to software when it's been customised to hell and back. It's an incredibly difficult and time consuming process. Case in point, I've been managing an upgrade to enterprise software (which has been customised without much though to documentation, or other consideration other than "yeah I can do that!") and long story short, it's so far taken 14 months, over $100k and more than a dozen people to arrange. Hopefully we'll roll it out in the next fortnight.

In the case of PALGN though, IMO what Vook did with a cut and run to Wordpress is probably the smartest thing that could have been done (I've done that too, from a completely custom setup to Wordpress).

I just randomly got an account expiration notice from Quake Live. Apparently after 90 days of inactivity they're closing accounts now. Probably a good idea considering I haven't played in over 2 or 3 years.

edit: I would really like to know the ratio of inactive accounts to active ones on popular services like Facebook, World of Warcraft, Myspace, Twitter. Even GAF. Couldn't be that hard, just check if the last time logged in was within the last month, if it is, add 1 to active, if not, add one to inactive.

editedit: fuck in SQL databases it's even easier. just
Code:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `Table` WHERE LastLoggedIn BETWEEN '20120201 AND '20120101';
which would return the number of matched rows.
but that wouldnt return the number of inactive accounts. just remove COUNT(*) and put a * and it'd return all the rows, which you could iterate off of.

..i really need to stop doing these sorts of posts.

jambo

I just randomly got an account expiration notice from Quake Live. Apparently after 90 days of inactivity they're closing accounts now. Probably a good idea considering I haven't played in over 2 or 3 years.

I might check mine. I got a 12 month sub and played for a week and then never touched it again :lol

EDIT: Yup, 9 months ago I got a premium sub, might actually try and use it for the last 3 months...

Jintor

Like I said, I only based what I said on what was in that Pastebin thing. Given that there was another year or two of frustration leading up to it, by that time I'm sure everyone had a gutful.

I sort of feel for Roland though on a technical level, because I know how frustrating it is for users to demand upgrades to software when it's been customised to hell and back. It's an incredibly difficult and time consuming process. Case in point, I've been managing an upgrade to enterprise software (which has been customised without much though to documentation, or other consideration other than "yeah I can do that!") and long story short, it's so far taken 14 months, over $100k and more than a dozen people to arrange. Hopefully we'll roll it out in the next fortnight.

In the case of PALGN though, IMO what Vook did with a cut and run to Wordpress is probably the smartest thing that could have been done (I've done that too, from a completely custom setup to Wordpress).

What's the new site? something something rocket this way comes?

Omikron

edit: I would really like to know the ratio of inactive accounts to active ones on popular services like Facebook, World of Warcraft, Myspace, Twitter. Even GAF. Couldn't be that hard, just check if the last time logged in was within the last month, if it is, add 1 to active, if not, add one to inactive.

editedit: fuck in SQL databases it's even easier. just
Code:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `Table` WHERE LastLoggedIn BETWEEN '20120201 AND '20120101';
which would return the number of matched rows.
but that wouldnt return the number of inactive accounts. just remove COUNT(*) and put a * and it'd return all the rows, which you could iterate off of.

..i really need to stop doing these sorts of posts.

protip, don't use dates in that format.

Think about difference between US and Aus and the chance for error and confusion.

PALGN pastebin was a very entertaining read. Sucks that things had to go that way. Hope you guys can get back into the game on another site soon.

Finally after lurking for years, I can officially join this thread.
Hi! Where do you hail from? I have a
Morning and welcome. Don't answer Reptile's quiz, it is getting stale!
Fine. Whatever.

So asking a girl out on valentines day itself, yay or nay
Yay. Just plan ahead as everywhere will be insane. Recommend a picnic overlooking a romantic view. Or a home cooked meal and cuddles on the couch if you haven't invited her to your place, removing that layer of protection is romantic to women.

Did anyone else really enjoy Republic Commando?
Last great Star Wars game. LEGO ones were okay.

I'm faking self-confidence, but since self-confidence is nothing more than projection, if you fake it enough it becomes real
Quoted for truth. Faking self-confidence is the best way to make great things happen in life. Very handy ability to have in every facet of life.

Clipper

SydGAF Board Games day needs some details filled out. Why don't we go with:

Date: Sunday, 12th of Feb.
Time: 10:30am arrival and go for as long as we feel like.
Place: My place (details will be sent by PM)

I think this should work out fine. PM me if I don't PM you first with info... Anybody that didn't express interest before, this is your last chance. If we get more numbers, I'll probably switch to UNSW as the location instead, so we need to know ASAP.

Think about difference between US and Aus and the chance for error and confusion.

Yeah I know. You could store it under DATETIME and use datepart() (i think that's what it's called) to separate the date from time and then compare using between that way.

He was using YYYYMMDD wasn't he? That's the best format to use IMO. I always dates like use '2012-02-07 13:12:13'. However the bigger problem was the use of * in the SELECT. For counts, just use one row, and when selecting rows, always specifically refer to them as otherwise the system internally needs to parse the names and thus it's a bit slower.

Omikron

He was using YYYYMMDD wasn't he? That's the best format to use IMO. I always dates like use '2012-02-07 13:12:13'. However the bigger problem was the use of * in the SELECT. For counts, just use one row, and when selecting rows, always specifically refer to them as otherwise the system internally needs to parse the names and thus it's a bit slower.

Nope, if you use a select and comparing a date to a value like '2012-02-07 hh:mm' etc, depending on your location and server settings, (particularly MSSQL), it CAN get confused between the 02 and 07 as far as which is the month and day.

Best off going with '07 Feb 2012' etc. Accuracy is always important.

If you use command objects or similar in code rather than a raw sql string, less chance of going wrong however.

I think this should work out fine. PM me if I don't PM you first with info... Anybody that didn't express interest before, this is your last chance. If we get more numbers, I'll probably switch to UNSW as the location instead, so we need to know ASAP.

I'll be there, I can bring Citadels if anyone is interested. I'll be on public transport so it might be a bit tough to bring much else.

Also this will be my first GAF meetup so please be gentle.

Nope, if you use a select and comparing a date to a value like '2012-02-07 hh:mm' etc, depending on your location and server settings, (particularly MSSQL), it CAN get confused between the 02 and 07 as far as which is the month and day.
Interesting. I've never run into a problem when leading with the year on any database server (Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL), when using raw SQL and YYYY-MM-DD. However in Oracle I usually to a TO_DATE.

Also I hate Oracle.

Omikron

Interesting. I've never run into a problem when leading with the year on any database server (Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL), when using raw SQL and YYYY-MM-DD. However in Oracle I usually to a TO_DATE.

Also I hate Oracle.

Yeah, generally it isn't an issue, but when it does go wrong, it is not good. Best off just going for clarity with 1 extra key stroke and saving yourself infinite heartache :D

Yeah, generally it isn't an issue, but when it does go wrong, it is not good. Best off just going for clarity with 1 extra key stroke and saving yourself infinite heartache :D

It's more of a pain though inside an application. Might investigate further. As I said I've never had an issue since moving to YYYY-MM-DD but I'm willing to do whichever is best practice... Which seems to change with each vendor of course.

Omikron

It's more of a pain though inside an application. Might investigate further. As I said I've never had an issue since moving to YYYY-MM-DD but I'm willing to do whichever is best practice... Which seems to change with each vendor of course.

It is really only an issue with raw sql statements, if you use a managed item like a command object (using ADO or whatever) you are ok.

Danoss

Sounds fine by me, though it may not be if it's raining, PT near my house on Sunday is terrible. Fingers crossed for clear weather. I'll be bringing Pandemic (4 player only though, boo) and The Resistance. That's about all I can fit in my backpack, all the other boxes are enormous in comparison.

It seems Milsims got my games in that I backordered (a month ago tomorrow). In true Milsims fashion, they're sitting on them and probably won't deliver them for a while. This is really making me not want to order from them again.

In other news: I have a job interview on Thursday! I am so nervous! A friend of mine helped set it up, hopefully it doesn't go too badly.

Sounds fine by me, though it may not be if it's raining, PT near my house on Sunday is terrible. Fingers crossed for clear weather. I'll be bringing Pandemic (4 player only though, boo) and The Resistance. That's about all I can fit in my backpack, all the other boxes are enormous in comparison.

It seems Milsims got my games in that I backordered (a month ago tomorrow). In true Milsims fashion, they're sitting on them and probably won't deliver them for a while. This is really making me not want to order from them again.

In other news: I have a job interview on Thursday! I am so nervous! A friend of mine helped set it up, hopefully it doesn't go too badly.

Good luck Danoss.

And if we're playing Pandemic, I apologise in advance for my behaviour.

Deeku

Come back from lunch and there's a box and satchel on my desk :D

Open the box, woo stack of jpop cds :D

I take the stuff out and...WTF, a photobook??? D: I didn't buy no creepy photobook, what the hell do I do with a photobook??!

Guy walks by, "Oh hey deek, you got that anaylsis shit ready ye..."

Crap! *throws shit under desk*

--

Anyway, turns out it wasn't one of those risque photobooks. It's just a book with landscape photos and journal type lyrics stuff:/ Got all hot n bothered for nothing lol.

Also, I totally do not remember buying FFXIII-2. Must have been a late night impulse buy thing. I bought the right version though, Japanese voices with English subs and text woo!

PS. Go Danoss!

Clipper

The games with less than 6 players might work, putting everyone into three teams of two or something. Even Ticket to Ride maxes at 5, so we'll have at least one team in the mix there...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I just picked up some trial 1 day contact lenses from my optom. I haven't worn contacts in about 4 or 5 years.

Everything is so strange.

I'm scared.

Size scale is like .05 smaller than when I have my glasses on (as they slightly enlarge things) so walking back to the office after putting them in was so surreal. Everything just seemed slightly not real and I was so confused and feeling like I was in a dream lol.

Danoss

You probably need to be fitted for them again Holy. That should happen every 2 years for glasses and maybe 1 year for contacts, I'm not 100% on the time between contact tests. You're over the 2 year mark, so get your eyes examined for both, it's free on Medicare.

Top Bottom