• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

1 red ring, e74 error. I think for me I won't bother to repair this one, too much hassle and there aren't any exclusives I want to play right now.
If you lived nearby I would offer my spare 360 with all the OG style junk for $150 or something. Just sitting there go to waste. Fucking expensive hard drives and wireless adapter shit.

We need a question on the quiz that lets us gauge which generations the new guys have played through so the older guys can mock the younger ones for not having played Adventure on university mainframes, and for judging then when they wrongly prefer Mario 64 to Mario 3.
Mario World is better.
LttP > all other Zelda

I say we bring back the kpop or jpop question that appeared once or twice.
Sure why not.

Deeku

Well I managed to dig up the old quiz:

PC gamer? Steam ID? Jump in the AusGAF chat on Steam for fun times!
Hot or Not: Ricki Lee (circa 2005 or 2011), Ella Morton, Karen Gillian?
Thoughts on day one dlc codes?
Occupation that could be beneficial to a self sufficient society?
jPOP or kPOP?
Phone usage on the can: Yay or Nay?
Where is the best place to pick up RAGE without resorting to Russian VPN?
If there is one position you could get Presidog into, what would it be?
Are you related to SmokyDave?
Kooka Country Cookies. You now owe us all a pack.
Welcome!

Hasn't changed much really. Best answer for the pop question was "thrash metal" by
Bern
lol.

Hamchan said:
So I'm playing FFXIII-2 right now and the dialogue is awful once again! Graphics are quite nice as always.

Should have bought the JP va with english subs and text version! The translation of the dialogue seems kinda inconsistent to me, but what do I know about japanese!

CG stuff at the beginning was pretty cool, but then in engine became kinda framey for me and then qtes:/

Sure why not.
lol I was only kidding. It's probably not relevant to 95% of the people that would come in here anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for the thoughtful words on PALGN, Yug :).

Girugamesh are awesome jMETAL. Very enjoyable.

Also now I want to watch Bubblegum Crisis again.

Favourite Simpsons episode of the last decade would be a perfect question too.

Kritz

Banned
Favourite childhood cartoon(s) would be a good question actually!

Too many to count. :(

Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd and Eddy, Invader Zim (despite the weird internet fanbase), Angry Beavers, Mission Hill, Cowboy Bebop... Dexter's Lab, of course. I also had a thing for Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z.

Pretty much all the big Nic / CN shows.

/alienates all the people who didn't grow up on 90s cable TV

Too many to count. :(

Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd and Eddy, Invader Zim (despite the weird internet fanbase), Angry Beavers, Mission Hill, Cowboy Bebop... Dexter's Lab, of course. I also had a thing for Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z.

Pretty much all the big Nic / CN shows.

/alienates all the people who didn't grow up on 90s cable TV

Rocco's Modern Life? Ren and Stimpy? Speed Racer? Wacky Races? Beetleborgs? Insektors?

Rezbit

OH shit nostalgia AusGAF is in effect!

I raise you:

SPELLBINDERS

AROUND THE TWIST

THOSE TWO AREN'T CARTOONS BUT I DON'T EVEN

SUPERTED

BANGERS AND MASH

HOLY SHIT ALSO GARGOYLES

Yagharek

you're old

5Mgjt.jpg

Whippersnapper.

Rezbit

Also screw best Simpson's ep from the last decade, just make it best ever! Which is Lisa's Rival.

"Jeremy's....Iron."

"In America...first you get the sugar...then you get the power...then you get the women."

"AAAAAH!!! It's the beating of that hideous heart! I mean I think I found something."

Also DARKWING DUCK! Let's get dangerous...DARKWING DUCK! When there's trouble you call D-W!

hamchan

4 hours in and I already think FFXIII-2 will be much better than FFXIII. Seems Square Enix actually listened to their fans this time and fixed a lot of what was wrong in FFXIII.

Clipper

Did somebody say 80s nostalgia? Just went through a browse of my DVD collection to collect a sample of some of the stuff I've managed to find on DVD...

photo-86.jpg

Still a lot more than that which I'd love to have as well, though...

The goodies
Doctor Who
Star Blazers
Astroboy
Marine Boy
kimba the white lion
Battle of the planets
Battlestar Galactica
Buck rogers
Monkey
The muppet show
Get smart
Thunderbirds
Inspector Gadget
Knight Rider
Six Million Dollar Man
Blake's 7

Apart from the cartoons, i pretty much watch the same shows

Mognet

Did somebody say 80s nostalgia? Just went through a browse of my DVD collection to collect a sample of some of the stuff I've managed to find on DVD...

photo-86.jpg

Still a lot more than that which I'd love to have as well, though...

Don't you open that TRAP DOOR!~

Show used to creep me out.

I remember that being pretty amazing, but I was young. Does it hold up today?
Hmmmmm.... I have a theory about all kid's shows, or basically any show that anyone watched as a kid and enjoyed. I've found that unless you make contact with the show at least every 5-10 years and essentially "grow up" with the show, when you finally do revisit it as an adult the gulf between young you and adult you is so great that you can't help but be disappointed.

To further explain my theory: The difference in 'taste' between 10 year old me and 15 year old me was not significantly great, so when I rewatched the show at 15 I still kind of liked it. When I saw it again when I was 20 not vastly different to 15 year old me, so while it seemed hokier it was tolerable. And so and so on throughout my life. I realise the flaws and understand that it's not great but since it's only incremental, it survives through the nostalgia.

However, If 35 year old me watched after never having seen it sine I was 10? I would say no.

It's not a direct answer to you question but it's the only way I know how to honestly answer these questions about childhood shows. I've found that once 20 years has passed I'm better off not revisiting anything for fear of destroying fond memories.

Fredescu

Hmmmmm.... I have a theory about all kid's shows, or basically any show that anyone watched as a kid and enjoyed. I've found that unless you make contact with the show at least every 5-10 years and essentially "grow up" with the show, when you finally do revisit it as an adult the gulf between young you and adult you is so great that you can't help but be disappointed.
I guess that depends on whether the show itself has multiple levels of enjoyment to it. As a kid I liked the Goodies for the silliness, but could appreciate the more political and philosophical things as I got older. Same with Monkey. Some shows are simpler and only work on one level, or appeal to only one demographic, or work in one cultural backdrop, and those don't age well. Stuff like Tron, Knight Rider, A-Team or You Can't Do That on Television.

Top Bottom