• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I agree with you for the most part.

I guess I didn't understand the political messages in the Goodies until I was older. Back in my younger days I didn't understand the message behind catching wild Rolf Harrises, Giant Kittens and Black Pudding Fights :p

But you're right, it is dependant on the demographic it's aimed at and any multi-level themes or messages in them.

Only a few of the Goodies shows were political (South Africa episode, Environment episode) but there were a bunch that were rarely shown in Australia on the ABC. We used to have pretty harsh TV censorship (hard to believe). Some episodes of the Goodies weren't shown at all and others had lines edited. (like a character saying "get stuffed" having a robot voice dubbed saying "get lost." Often the word "bloody" was muted. This is in the days before the ACB/OFLC.

Doctor Who (which used to be run right after the Goodies for a looooong time when i was a kid) used to have a lot of violent deaths cut out of it by local censors. There are some Black and White episodes from the 60's that the BBC lost/dumped whereby the only video that exists is from what the local censors cut.

The only saving grace was we got lots of repeats of those shows and the UK didn't.

There are probably lots of other shows with cuts we wouldn't have been aware of.

Gazunta- Haven't seen the new muppet movie. Will get it on Bluray

Yug

Mana Bar guy? You need more games out the back in the Melbourne one.

What, more TV's? Or more games?

What ever happened to Mana Bar Sydney?

Well, I moved here to Sydney recently for ... secret reasons ...

wow you own mana bar? that place is awesome man congratulations

Cheers :)

We finally resolved to hold our first SydGAF meetup (the second of which will be this weekend, although with an additional board game hook) when it became clear that the Sydney Mana Bar wasn't going to happen any time soon, if that helps :p

That's not the first time I've heard those sentiments ;)

Haha classic GAF, you introduce yourself and people rag on you about no Sydney bar. Anyway welcome dude.

It's my own fault, I set myself up for the fall :p

Pfft, he's posted here before :p

Haha, yes I have! I believe I've made about 5 posts over the last 5 years ... hoping to improve my average ;)

Rezbit

Did somebody say 80s nostalgia? Just went through a browse of my DVD collection to collect a sample of some of the stuff I've managed to find on DVD...

photo-86.jpg

Still a lot more than that which I'd love to have as well, though...

Nice collection. Battle of the Planets :O

Yug

Yug, when are you going to open Mana Bar Gold Coast so I can have a local place to go again :p

The sad news out of Sega Oz today has made me think a lot about my time in the Valley game Dev scene...

I really miss working in the Valley. I'm not complaining about the new job, but working in basically an industrial complex means I can't quickly pop out of the office to do some banking, or check the mailbox, or grab a hot chocolate.

OK maybe I'm really just thinking about hot chocolate.

Pfft, Brisbane is only an hour drive, think of the poor people in Sydney that would have to FLY to get to a Mana Bar. Think yourself lucky, there are starving kids in third world countries, etc etc.

Also, I miss the valley too. I used to live in an apartment complex just above the old dooleys hotel (now, what, 388? The Valley Hotel?) and it was so conveniently close to everything, I hardly ever had to leave!

EDIT: Fuck y'all bitches. ManaBar Tasmania's where it's at.

aha ha

:(

orly?

Steam ID? Yugstar
360 Gamertag? Yugstar
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer? @Yugstar
Thoughts on SOAP? I prefer shower gel.
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Connery - seriously, it doesn't matter how old he is. I don't even know why this is a question?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3? Would I get in on the Halo 5 beta if I did?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas? Probably would have happened if Krome lived.
iOS gamer or Android user? iOS
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? It's not good, the publishers know it's not good, but until someone finds a happy medium things won't change.
Is Warhammer 40k Space Marine a horrible Gears of War knockoff? Yes, but what did you expect?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies? These questions seem to be loosing relevance.
UGG boots. Do you speak it? No, really, they are.
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips. No. Sorry, I have a thing for plain doritos corn chips. Yes, I'm a freak.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY? I will get a Vita because I'm a pathetic Uncharted fanboy.
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan? IRL Role Playing, any excuse to dress up.
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Have you picked up a copy of the highly acclaimed 3rd album by Enter Shikari called A Flash Flood Of Colour yet? Only $20 at your local JB HiFi or available with FREE postage online!
Join some peope with 'first letter of your username for avatar picture' February!
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties?

Ok, I feel I feel I should get some sort of achievement for getting halfway through these questions at least.

For cider-AusGAF I'm drinking Matilda Bay Dirty Granny. Quite strong, nice kick to it, but not too overbearing. Yum.

If you can find it, one of the best ciders is Kopparberg, in particular the elderflower & lime.

Yug

Did somebody say 80s nostalgia? Just went through a browse of my DVD collection to collect a sample of some of the stuff I've managed to find on DVD...

photo-86.jpg

Still a lot more than that which I'd love to have as well, though...

I was impressed until I realised you were missing Super Ted.

Yug

So I'm going to a Grand Slam Tennis 2 event today, where Pat Cash is a special guest.

What should I do when I meet him?

Samurai motherfucking Pizza Cats.

Also Transformers and TMNT. And when I was even younger I was a big Thomas the Tank Engine fan. I have taste yo.
Hell yes Pizza Cats. Much love.

My son is obsessed with Thomas now. Last week he has demanded to be dressed in something Thomas, first thing in the morning he runs to his wardrobe and pulls out the closest thing emblazoned with a big blue train.

If you can find it, one of the best ciders is Kopparberg, in particular the elderflower & lime.
Nice recommendation, seen it a few times but hadn't heard any one rate it. Will pick up a couple on Friday if the weather clears up.

Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Connery - seriously, it doesn't matter how old he is. I don't even know why this is a question?
Trick question. I even wrote it in such a fashion that the only true answer is obvious. The rest of the questions are AusGAF in-jokes to see who has been lurking the thread.
Also plain Doritos are indeed fantastic, work well by themselves as well as with dip or nachos.

So I'm going to a Grand Slam Tennis 2 event today, where Pat Cash is a special guest.

What should I do when I meet him?
Tell him his career pales in comparison to the quality of the blockbuster 1989 classic Tango & Cash.

Is Warhammer 40k Space Marine a horrible Gears of War knockoff? Yes, but what did you expect?

It still ceases to amaze that these comments are around even after it takes a 5 second google search to figure out that warhammer has been around for MANY more years than GoW

Also space marine was really well designed in my books and most of the hardcore fans of warhammer i know loved it too.

Fredescu

I don't like WH40K that much, so as a Relic fan I'm frustrated that they're tied to that license. Dawn of War II with an original IP and some effort put into the story would be up there with the greatest WRPGs of all time. It's held back by fanservice.

Clipper

Speaking of The Goodies and stuff... Some of The Chaser are doing a new show with Graeme Garden. Yes, that Graeme Garden! And it starts filming this week. The Chaser meet The Goodies... scary stuff.

And Yug, welcome to Sydney. I'm also an ex-Brissy Sydneysider, so I hope you don't feel too weirded out by the switch. The thing I miss most is surprisingly not feeling horrible and sweaty when it's hot. It's just not right to have such comfortable heat :p.

Fredescu

Clipper, how good is the Cities of Gold DVD? Did you get the region 1 from Amazon? Does it include the little factual bits with each episode? I watched the first episode on Youtube this morning and I really want to watch more. I had it all in Real Media format years ago but the quality was terrible.

Yug

Disappointed with that answer, Yug.

It still ceases to amaze that these comments are around even after it takes a 5 second google search to figure out that warhammer has been around for MANY more years than GoW

Also space marine was really well designed in my books and most of the hardcore fans of warhammer i know loved it too.

The most hardcore fans of anything will usually be the first to gloss over the issues. I should know, I'm still a huge fan of the Tony Hawk series :p

I know that the concepts, characters, and themes of the Warhammer universe have been around for ages, but from a gameplay perspective - there is no two ways about it, Space Marine is heavily influenced by Gears of War.

Hell, back when THQ Studio Australia were developing it (yeah, they spent at least 12 months and got a pretty nice looking prototype up and going before Relic took it) they were fairly unapologetic regarding their influences.

What I don't understand is why people are surprised about this, or even have a problem with it.

Yug

And Yug, welcome to Sydney. I'm also an ex-Brissy Sydneysider, so I hope you don't feel too weirded out by the switch. The thing I miss most is surprisingly not feeling horrible and sweaty when it's hot. It's just not right to have such comfortable heat :p.

I went to the other extreme, I moved to Melbourne at the beginning of last year before I then moved to Sydney a few months back. So I felt justified complaining about the heat here for awhile :p

Clipper

Incidentally, I just signed up to go to the filming of The Unbelievable Truth (Chaser + Goodies thing) tomorrow night. Anybody else got the time to go and want to meet up there? It's filmed at the ATP in Eveleigh and you need to be there by 5:40pm at the latest. Link for reservations.

Clipper, how good is the Cities of Gold DVD? Did you get the region 1 from Amazon? Does it include the little factual bits with each episode? I watched the first episode on Youtube this morning and I really want to watch more. I had it all in Real Media format years ago but the quality was terrible.
It's the Region 4 set. It does have the little mini-docos at the end of each episode if that's what you mean. It was great getting to watch it all again.

I went to the other extreme, I moved to Melbourne at the beginning of last year before I then moved to Sydney a few months back. So I felt justified complaining about the heat here for awhile :p
Is that a hint of things to come?

Edit: Just went and had a look at the Facebook page for the first time in a long while... Question withdrawn ;)

Fredescu

They're not as humid as Brisbane or even Sydney. I think Vook linked that "shit Perth people say" video and one of them was "it's a dry heat".

spose i'd better do the questionnaire too since i post in ausgaf about thrice a year.

Steam ID? spazmatron
360 Gamertag? TheRhizome
PS3 thingy? spazmat
Twitterer? nope.
Thoughts on SOAP? Don't think, do.
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery? Connery, duh.
Would you buy a Crackdown 3? Only played number 2. On that basis of that, no.
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas? None.
iOS gamer or Android user? Android but I miss my blackberry's keyboard and awesome reception.
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM? I don't really give a shit anymore as long as it doesn't interfere with the regular operation of my PC.
Is Warhammer 40k Space Marine a horrible Gears of War knockoff? I've never played Gears. Are the figurines expensive?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies? This means nothing to me. Nothing I tell you.
UGG boots. Do you speak it? I'm wearing a pair now.
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips. Samboy salt and vinegar or gtfo.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY? Pre-ordered a Vita but probably going to cancel. Haz no games. Already have a 3DS. It haz no games either.
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan? TMNT & Other Strangeness all the way.
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here. I don't even know who these people are. Except for missy higgins. Not sexy.
Have you picked up a copy of the highly acclaimed 3rd album by Enter Shikari called A Flash Flood Of Colour yet? Only $20 at your local JB HiFi or available with FREE postage online! No. Have you picked up your copy of The Church of Extacy's acclaimed 1992 single Confess to Acid?
Join some peope with 'first letter of your username for avatar picture' February! what, like a big M ?
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole? DNW to think about his smugglers or his arsehole thankyou.
Jalapeño man? Prefer birds eyes or scotch bonnets, but sure.
BACON MAN? have been known to be.
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider? Scotch, Vodka, Beers, Cider but not so much apple & pear or other sweet winey ciders.
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge? Delicious.
Do you plays the Halos or Duties? never played either.

senahorse

Dry heat doesn't bother me so much in Brisbane (but we don't go over 35C often) it (as Fred mentioned) is the humidity that sucks. Basically means refrigerated aircon is the only salvation, or a swim of course.

Clipper

Yeah, it's the humidity I was talking about. In Brissy, you will be dripping in sweat 10 seconds after you walk out the door on a day in the high 20s. Sydney, it can be anywhere up to the high 30s and you'll feel hot, but you won't be uncomfortably moist. That's what I miss... although I can't really say why apart from familiarity (and that feeling you get when walking into an air-conditioned room/building from the outdoors is to die for).

Clipper (and SydGAF board gamers) some shit has come up and there is a chance I won't be able to make it on Sunday.

Hopefully there are enough people there without me but either way I'll try my best. I'll let you know by the end of the week.

In somewhat related news, organising anything family related is fucked!

Gazunta

I absolutely adored the Muppet movie BTW. I just had this big grin ear to ear the whole way through. It hit enough nostalgia notes and managed to be a solid Muppet movie in its own right. Plus it really does deserve kudos for not only introducing a new muppet - AND making him the star of the movie - and managing to make him like able and non-Poochy.

Yeah, really loved it.

Kritz

Banned
I know that the concepts, characters, and themes of the Warhammer universe have been around for ages, but from a gameplay perspective - there is no two ways about it, Space Marine is heavily influenced by Gears of War.

What I don't understand is why people are surprised about this, or even have a problem with it.

I'd hardly say anyone here actually gives any kind of crap about the Warhammer universe and it's fair to say that had Gears not existed, Warhammer Space Marine probably wouldn't exist. But for philosophical reasons, I have issues accepting that Warhammer ripped off Gears which ripped off Warhammer.

If I had to distil the gameplay of Gears down to its essence, it's essentially whack-a-mole with a very occasional melee.

In Warhammer, it's essentially the Smith fight from The Matrix 2, with more than occasional shooting.

It's kind of the same reason why I'd never say Stranglehold ripped off Max Payne, considering Max Payne ripped off Hard Boiled. (Quality of Stranglehold as a game aside)

But for philosophical reasons, I have issues accepting that Warhammer ripped off Gears which ripped off Warhammer.

i was under the impression that Warhammer was not a cover shooter, which seems to me the basic definition of Gears of War. Hence the whole question confuses me.

i was under the impression that Warhammer was not a cover shooter, which seems to me the basic definition of Gears of War. Hence the whole question confuses me.

More so the premiss of epic buff guys in massive armour. GoW is about a bunch of heavily muscled pu$$ies running from wall to wall and shooting some guys.
Space marine is about an epic warrior with no fear of pain or death carving a bloody swathe through his enemies

They are entirely different yet the argument exists because they both have big guys with big armour in them

Also i care enough kritz, just not enough to argue about it because it always ends up the same.

Top Bottom