• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Dead Man

This is the reason why I hate the Gaming forum here:

"Worst Game Purchased?"

Saints Row The Third
God of War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
Fallout: New Vegas.
LA Noire
RAGE
Dead Space
Assassin's Creed
Crysis 2
Vanquish
Alpha Protocol
Scribblenauts
Brutal Legend
Zack And Wiki
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Halo 3
Skyrim
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
Dead Island
Far Cry 2

IS THESE PEOPLE FUCKING STUPID? What the actual fuck? Have these people not played a fucking video game before 2005? I wouldn't even consider Brink or Dragon Age 2 the worst purchases I've ever had. I wouldn't even consider Fable 3.

God damn it.
Wow. Although FC2 is a truly bad game, even it is nowhere near the worst I have bought.

Edit:
Either Oblivion or GTA IV.

Never hated a game as much as these two.

Wow, another Kerrby gem.
oqeuv.gif
Don't make me get your father.

Echoplx

Moving to Kangaroo point next week :eek: 1 street back from the river

Gonna be weird living so close to the city, Am I already hipster?

Le Sigh, the Community copy of Halo CE seems to have some surface scratches (less than rental games I have played in the past) and my 360 refuses to play it.

I'll try and get it cleaned and see how it goes before I send it back Choc.

I think it is a sign that Halo isn't for me.

Le Sigh, the Community copy of Halo CE seems to have some surface scratches (less than rental games I have played in the past) and my 360 refuses to play it.

I'll try and get it cleaned and see how it goes before I send it back Choc.

I think it is a sign that Halo isn't for me.

Fffffffffuuuu.

It played for me fine all the way through, but it may have had something to do with the pounding it took (which I posted the photo of last week, with the smashed up CD case -- boggles the mind how they did it, especially when these same guys can send beer via the mail with no problems).

Let us know how you go and if it still refuses to work, I'll get a replacement if you want Choc. It was quite scratched when I received it...

It's $37 at LOGS but I have seen it under $30. If need be I can chuck a few dollars in.

If it died under my care it's my responsibility to replace it. No problem there.

A bit pissed off at work's internal mail guys. I have a meeting scheduled with the head of logistics tomorrow actually...

Isn't Wednesday night ladies night? Maybe someone holds drinking games somewhere in the building.

They were dressed up in gowns and stuff the first week of my internship 3 weeks ago. Tonight there were only two, but wearing like, sexy casual lol. Heels and jeans, loose top type stuff. I think there's a modelling agency in the building

Moving to Kangaroo point next week :eek: 1 street back from the river

Gonna be weird living so close to the city, Am I already hipster?

No way. Firstly, Kangaroo Point is to legitimately pleasant to be hipster. West End and the Valley are the Brisbane hipster capitals, with outposts in Paddington and Morningside. But they are actually nice places as well.

Secondly, you are posting on the internet, showing you have a computer. Hipster's rarely seem to even have TVs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm going to a friend's gig tomorrow night at a bar that is apparently frequented by hipsters. That should be interesting.

Omikron

"Worst Game Purchased?"

GMAES!

IS THESE PEOPLE FUCKING STUPID? What the actual fuck? Have these people not played a fucking video game before 2005? I wouldn't even consider Brink or Dragon Age 2 the worst purchases I've ever had. I wouldn't even consider Fable 3.

God damn it.

I believe I have made a valid game choice for that thread. That is all.

Yagharek

"Worst Game Purchased?"

Saints Row The Third
God of War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
LA Noire
RAGE
Dead Space
Assassin's Creed
Crysis 2
Vanquish
Alpha Protocol
Scribblenauts
Brutal Legend
Zack And Wiki
Halo 3
Skyrim
Dead Island
Far Cry 2

God damn it.

Interesting list, but I think there's some rationale behind some of the more contentious choices.

Personally, I would say, for example, that Halo 3 is a "bad" game. It has bad levels, bad story, bad chokepoints, Cortana and a bad ending that parodies the first game which was a tribute to Super Metroid and the film which it in turn was a tribute to: Aliens.

I would say that it is not a *bad* game in a purely technical and quality sense. It ran well, it was QA'd - it just wasnt very interesting. It also had a bucketload of hype that was unwarranted. So maybe people are instead putting it on the "worst games" list where they instead mean "most disappointing game".

Now as for actual bad games, I would include amongst those that I have played the following:

The Lost World (PS1), Virtua Fighter 2 MegaDrive, Skullmonkeys, Fallout 3 PS3, Jade Empire, Silver (Dreamcast), Sonic Adventure 2, Rainbow Six Lockdown, Soul Calibur 4. I'd almost put Twisted Metal Black down too since it was butchered locally.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Worst" is so relative anyway. If you're buying nothing but shit on a regular basis then the list is obviously hyperbole. But thinking about all the games I've ever paid for then yeah, something like Grand Theft Auto IV is one of my worst purchases. I paid far too much for a game that, at the time, ran fairly poorly on my PC without crippling the graphics, and I drew little enjoyment from the game itself due to how bland, repetitive and uninteresting the design was. It turned out to be a game I did not want to play because I wasn't enjoying it at all. Therefore it fits the criteria of being one of my worst game purchases, as I wish I hadn't paid for it.

I was happier paying for Deadly Creatures on the Wii. Far Cry 2 owned though.

Now as for actual bad games, I would include amongst those that I have played the following:

The Lost World (PS1), Virtua Fighter 2 MegaDrive, Skullmonkeys, Fallout 3 PS3, Jade Empire, Silver (Dreamcast), Sonic Adventure 2, Rainbow Six Lockdown, Soul Calibur 4. I'd almost put Twisted Metal Black down too since it was butchered locally.

This is also a matter of distinction as the reason for some of these games on your list are the localisation or porting of the titles. Actually the whole thing is subjective any way since the question is "what is your worst game purchased?".

Left 4 Dead 2 (Aus Edition) would fit well on your list too since the changes pulled out a major part of creating the atmosphere of the game.

Lair was pretty bad.

I want to say ToMI but I know that is just my opinion :(

EDIT: I forgot that I bought both Bullet Witch and Vampire Rain. Both are horribly shit but not in a 'so bad it is good' way. Just shit.

stonedwal

"Worst Game Purchased?"

Saints Row The Third
God of War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
LA Noire
RAGE
Dead Space
Assassin's Creed
Crysis 2
Vanquish
Alpha Protocol
Scribblenauts
Brutal Legend
Zack And Wiki
Halo 3
Skyrim
Dead Island
Far Cry 2

God damn it.
While most of it could be attributed to wannabe internet comedians trolling, most gamers have a pretty small frame of reference due to tendencies to avoid outright bad games/only buying big releases.

Yagharek

"Worst" is so relative anyway. If you're buying nothing but shit on a regular basis then the list is obviously hyperbole. But thinking about all the games I've ever paid for then yeah, something like Grand Theft Auto IV is one of my worst purchases. I paid far too much for a game that, at the time, ran fairly poorly on my PC without crippling the graphics, and I drew little enjoyment from the game itself due to how bland, repetitive and uninteresting the design was. It turned out to be a game I did not want to play because I wasn't enjoying it at all. Therefore it fits the criteria of being one of my worst game purchases, as I wish I hadn't paid for it.

I was happier paying for Deadly Creatures on the Wii. Far Cry 2 owned though.

I can't talk on Far Cry 2, but Far Cry 1 was one of the worst games I've played based on your metric above (which is valid, I might add). In the same sense as Halo 3 and GTA4 which were phenomenal letdowns - only I had no expectations for Far Cry.

Incidentally, I was reminded of one game when I was listing bad games I had played: Phantom 2040 on MegaDrive. I played it around the same time I played The lost World on ps1. Phantom 2040 was a 'metroidvania' type game and it was awesome fun, like deadly creatures I guess.

This is also a matter of distinction as the reason for some of these games on your list are the localisation or porting of the titles. Actually the whole thing is subjective any way since the question is "what is your worst game purchased?".

Left 4 Dead 2 (Aus Edition) would fit well on your list too since the changes pulled out a major part of creating the atmosphere of the game.

Lair was pretty bad.

I want to say ToMI but I know that is just my opinion :(

ToMI? As for L4D2, I'd even count the UK uncensored version I have. I'm too scared to update it online in case it gets edited (360 version) and single player is rubbish.

While most of it could be attributed to wannabe internet comedians trolling, most gamers have a pretty small frame of reference due to tendencies to avoid outright bad games/only buying big releases.

Probably true. Just shows how limited the AAA end of the market is if so many people seem to hate such games. Which is fair, since most of them are creatively void.

Deeku

Matchbox Caterpillar Construction Zone for gameboy colour. Biggest piece of shit 2 hour game I ever played. And Harvey Norman wouldn't let me return it!

Kritz

Banned

I'd wager that the people who only buy big releases have bought worse games than someone who actively purchases terrible games.

Then again, maybe that's the rationalisation they have behind their posts.

I had blocked out how bad Shellshock 2 was. I don't think I got through more than 2 hours of it, thankfully it was one of the shared games at uni so I didn't feel the need to play it.

I returned A Boy and His Blob the same day I bought it, I hated it so much.
I returned some strange Pokemon pedometer game with a tear in my eye. Thankfully the kind soul at Target exchanged it for the superior Pokemon Yellow. What was my child self thinking?

Gazunta

I went into the store wanting to buy Super Monaco Grand Prix but I bought E-SWAT instead.

God, that still makes me angry.

But by far the worst was the C64 version of Double Dragon by Melbourne House. It was so terrible the manual even included a piss weak apology for the graphics. I fucking ADORED Double Dragon in the arcades.

Turns out the producer of it ended up being one of my many bosses at Krome. You bet your ass I asked for my $30 back.

I went into the store wanting to buy Super Monaco Grand Prix but I bought E-SWAT instead.
First game my dad and I played together (one of the only ones) was Ayrton Senna SMGP2 on Master System. Such good memories. Loved the shit out of it.

Thanks for the nostalgia!

A pocket pikachu? But that thing was awesome!
It wasn't gamey enough for me! I wasn't interested in tamagotchis or whatever, I lived on a farm so I was trying to find an escape. Not more shit around the place that I had to remember to feed!

Shaneus

"Worst Game Purchased?"

Saints Row The Third
God of War
Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
LA Noire
RAGE
Dead Space
Assassin's Creed
Crysis 2
Vanquish
Alpha Protocol
Scribblenauts
Brutal Legend
Zack And Wiki
Halo 3
Skyrim
Dead Island
Far Cry 2

God damn it.
Filthy pirates. Only reason they're their worst games they've purchased is because they pirate everything else.

trinest

To be fair though games did go to the shitter drastically after 2005 so hipster hate trolling what ever games of course are going to be there.

Shaneus

God, that still makes me angry.

But by far the worst was the C64 version of Double Dragon by Melbourne House. It was so terrible the manual even included a piss weak apology for the graphics. I fucking ADORED Double Dragon in the arcades.

Turns out the producer of it ended up being one of my many bosses at Krome. You bet your ass I asked for my $30 back.
How was the apology worded?

Also, what did you do with your $30? Did he ask for a receipt first? What did he do when you took it out of your wallet in perfect condition?

Top Bottom