• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

So, I'm babysitting with my brother tonight. A 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old. Boys. 7:30-9:30pm while their parents go to a parent night at the kinder. Little excited, bit nervous.

Tips? Will they both be pretty tired by that time? Should I dope myself up on caffeine to keep up? What food should I bring so they're not hyperactive?

I checked it a few minutes earlier, it was at about $2,800. I blindly followed your link and it's already up to $18,000, and the pictures are no longer working.

Fifteen bucks for the beta and what is basically a pre-pre order isn't too bad I guess, though most modern adventure games go for a lot less. The only thing I don't like is the "small team under Tim Schafer's supervision" part.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tempted to toss in for the poster...

By the way, trackwork is on this weekend so check ahead BoardGameSydGaf.

I put $100 in and went for the poster.

I don't even really like Tim and what he does mostly because I suck at adventure games. But the guy and his company made a video game about heavy metal, So he gets a free pass.

Clipper

It's up to $40k now. And yeah, never had my name in the credits of a game before, and if it's going to be anything, then a Double Fine adventure is certainly a good choice...

Edit: So that's at least 2 AusGAF names in the credits... Join us, Jintor!

Greetings AusGaf, it is I, Beaniedude, A PerthGaffian.
Anyway, my L button on my 3DS recently stopped working (Well I say recently, must be at least a month now) and I was wondering what is the procedure of action I should take.

I emailed the warranty people over at Ninty for further information and am currently sitting tight.

I love playing the waiting game!

Jintor

Fuck it, I'll toss in.

This work computer is a steaming pile of shit> I've been sitting here for half an hour and InDesign still hasn't finished booting correctly. Not to mention someone somehow managed to install InDesign 5 over InDesign 3 but it sucks so much system resources it's not worth even trying to use it.

Rezbit

Sometimes when I hold my 3DS it hear it sort of "creak," I feel like it may shatter in my palms at any moment.

Also have to play MK7 again some time, that was awesome.

Jintor

I should probably send in my 3DS for the screen line damage replacement thingy or whatever if Nintendo AU does that. Anybody know? You know how the ridges on the bottom screen make these terrible marks on the top screen? I need to get that shit replaced.

Clipper

Greetings AusGaf, it is I, Beaniedude, A PerthGaffian.
Anyway, my L button on my 3DS recently stopped working (Well I say recently, must be at least a month now) and I was wondering what is the procedure of action I should take.

I emailed the warranty people over at Ninty for further information and am currently sitting tight.

I love playing the waiting game!

My L button also stopped working. Although it would kind of work, just not every time you pushed it and it would work better in some positions than others. And then it fixed itself and worked perfectly for a few weeks. And then it went back to being sort of faulty again.

I was debating whether to send it in or not when the top screen backlight started to turn itself off unless slight pressure was placed on the screen... Then that fixed itself too, but broke again a few days later. I was resigned that I definitely had to send it in.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what Australia's procedure is as mine is a US console, so I'm dealing with them. They gave an option to provide the shipping to them, which of course I can't use from Australia, so I sent it from here with a return address as my HopShopGo address but also a polite request to be really nice and send it all the way back to Australia. I assume NAL would offer similar procedures via their warranty site.

protip for current and future 3ds owners, dont buy steel diver.
It's not that bad. I really enjoyed sitting in a swivel chair in the FP mode for one thing. I would warn people not to buy it at full price, but do buy it if you like a fun distraction.

I should probably send in my 3DS for the screen line damage replacement thingy or whatever if Nintendo AU does that. Anybody know? You know how the ridges on the bottom screen make these terrible marks on the top screen? I need to get that shit replaced.
I don't think they accept that as you can just wipe the marks off. Mine also had that issue, but I couldn't be bothered mentioning it.

Do they do that?
I was reading this site:
http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?pageID=382&merchant_id=0
And it says

"This warranty does not cover:
Broken/Damaged/Marked LCD display or Touch Screen;"

But I mean, if it is a production fault they really should replace it.

Clipper

Do they do that?
I was reading this site:
http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?pageID=382&merchant_id=0
And it says

"This warranty does not cover:
Broken/Damaged/Marked LCD display or Touch Screen;"

But I mean, if it is a production fault they really should replace it.
I just checked the US version (it lists a whole lot of problems) and their stance is to clean the screen. If it doesn't fix it, then you have a repair option available. Most people aren't getting scratches though, just marks. So they'll clean right off. If it is actually physically scratched, I think you could argue that it is not your fault and get a replacement even with NAL's policy there.

My brother recently took his 3DS to the JB it was bought from because of the screen scratching thing, they sent it to Nintendo and it was taken care of without issue.

wonzo

Banned
It's not that bad. I really enjoyed sitting in a swivel chair in the FP mode for one thing. I would warn people not to buy it at full price, but do buy it if you like a fun distraction.
The Periscope mode with a swivel chair's pretty fun but it really doesn't make up for how threadbare the rest of the game is. I only spent $20 on it anyway, maybe it's worth a tenner but nothing more imo.

Jintor

I normally don't care much for publishers sending stuff alongside review code, but Capcom (or THQ, I dunno) sent an anger management self-help book alongside Azura's Wrath, which I find quite amusing.

Shaneus

I guess I'll send them an email and see.

Anyway, $101 pledged to Double Fine.
What's the pledge/gift listing? I can't access the DF site from work :/

Hey, you guys know who's awesome? Peter Serafinowicz. Not just because he's funny, but also because he's a gamer but doesn't flaunt it around or pretend it's his entire persona like so many other celebrities.

Everyone should follow him.

Oh, Dodonpachi Blissful Death is up on the iOS App Store in Australia. Get it nao.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not really my point.

I can't help but wonder how this would be going down if it were EA running a kickstarter for a new FPS :lol

Public traded publisher powerhouse funding a guarenteed million seller versus an independent studio based in SF that employees a tiny, tiny fraction of the amount of people under the EA umbrella funding a small, pet-project for long-time fans of the genre that is basically unmarkedable to the masses

It's a real one to one comparison you've got going here.

Clipper

Somehow, given they are at $122,000 along the way to the $400k goal within a few hours with 33 days to go, I think they might just scrape through...

wonzo

Banned
Not really my point.

I can't help but wonder how this would be going down if it were EA running a kickstarter for a new FPS :lol
Erm, are you really comparing a massive multi-billion dollar publisher to a comparatively infinitesimal independently owned game studio?

Let alone the whole point of crowd funding is for people to not only buy a product but to help provide the necessary capital for said product to be made in the first place.

AUS computer GAF I need some help.

I've been offered the following as a replacement for my stolen laptop:

Toshiba Satellite Pro L770 PSK3XA-00E00H
Specifications
• Intel® Core™ i5 processor 2410M (2.3 GHz - 2.9 GHz (Turbo, 1 Core) 1333MHz FSB, 256 KB per core L2 cache, 3MB L3 cache)
• Genuine Windows® 7 32bit and Genuine Windows® 7 64bit Professional (OEM)
• 4GB DDR3 1333 expandable to 8GB
• 750GB HDD (5400rpm)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
• 17.3“ Toshiba TruBrite® HD+ Widescreen TFT Active Matrix XGA 200NIT CSV (1600 x 900) resolution and LED backlighting
• Integrated Atheros® 802.11 b/g/n
• Integrated webcam

How would this go for gaming before needing upgrades? Should I look to upgrade it to something else?

wonzo

Banned
AUS computer GAF I need some help.

I've been offered the following as a replacement for my stolen laptop:

Toshiba Satellite Pro L770 PSK3XA-00E00H
Specifications
• Intel® Core™ i5 processor 2410M (2.3 GHz - 2.9 GHz (Turbo, 1 Core) 1333MHz FSB, 256 KB per core L2 cache, 3MB L3 cache)
• Genuine Windows® 7 32bit and Genuine Windows® 7 64bit Professional (OEM)
• 4GB DDR3 1333 expandable to 8GB
• 750GB HDD (5400rpm)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
• 17.3“ Toshiba TruBrite® HD+ Widescreen TFT Active Matrix XGA 200NIT CSV (1600 x 900) resolution and LED backlighting
• Integrated Atheros® 802.11 b/g/n
• Integrated webcam

How would this go for gaming before needing upgrades? Should I look to upgrade it to something else?
cpu seems fine. as for the gpu however i'll let the benchmarks speak for itself: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html

Stackboy

So, I'm babysitting with my brother tonight. A 3.5 year old and a 1.5 year old. Boys. 7:30-9:30pm while their parents go to a parent night at the kinder. Little excited, bit nervous.

Tips? Will they both be pretty tired by that time? Should I dope myself up on caffeine to keep up? What food should I bring so they're not hyperactive?

I've got a 3 yo niece and a 4 yo nephew.

By about that time they should just about be getting ready for bed.

So you need to inject sugar into the bloodstream.

Danoss

Somehow, given they are at $122,000 along the way to the $400k goal within a few hours with 33 days to go, I think they might just scrape through...

They should indeed, looking at it.

The thing with Kickstarter projects like this is that the initial backers are the low-hanging fruit. I'm sure this will have the momentum to carry it over the line. I do love Kickstarter though, I've picked up 2 RPGs off it for cheap already, signed by the authors and some extras. It's always worth a look through to see if there's anything interesting.

I'd like to donate, but I'm poor. Glad there's 33 days left, so I may be able to at least jump on the $15 tier. I'm not much of a gamer these days, but this'd be worth a look.

ajim

AusGaf, where's the cheapest place to preorder The Last Story (Limited Edition) at the moment? Cheapest I've come across is about $70AUD.

legend166

Speaking of kids and bed times, growing up I never even had a bed time. My parents knew it was futile to try and put me in bed at 7pm (which is ridiculous). I'd just end up falling asleep on the couch at 8:30 or something and they'd take me to bed.

I don't know if that was good or bad parenting. All five of us turned out pretty good so I'll go with good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Less than four hours since it started Double Fine has already met 50% of their target pledges.

Not too bad.

Yug

Hey, how many people here work in the games industry in one way or another (retail, journo, publisher, etc)?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hey, how many people here work in the games industry in one way or another (retail, journo, publisher, etc)?

I wrote for PALGN, soon something else. I have started and failed too many mods in my youth. Did a stint as a games advisor over Christmas at JB. The end.

Top Bottom