• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

The thing is that due to wanting to drag the thing all over the place a laptop is pretty important due to mobility.

Also due to insurance I have to get it from 1 place (who don't have a website) which will exclude ozbargain specials and custom built stuff.

Hey, how many people here work in the games industry in one way or another (retail, journo, publisher, etc)?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for involvement, but I briefly did some freelance stuff for Hyper a couple of years ago.

Actually that reminds me, Jint does Hyper have a digital archive? It'd be cool to find a pdf of a story I did for them.

Hey, how many people here work in the games industry in one way or another (retail, journo, publisher, etc)?

You know what I do! Or what I used to do, anyways. (For those who don't - I worked on a TV show called Level 3).

Anyway, job application sent off to the Vic Government. Surely that has to be better than working in a bloody mail room.

Darklord

Banned
PCPP/Hyper

I remember when they were looking for jobs they were lazy as shit about it. Started off as "E-mail us and we'll let you all know in 3 weeks" to "Been kinda busy, later next month" to "Sometime" to ignoring everyone and never mentioning it again. Bad PCPP!

CryptiK

Gaming Manager at a large retail Store know to be hated by many. And much on the bottom line I play for the Team Exile 5 org.

Jintor

Really? You know I live with Lamotte :)

I've met you like a half-dozen times dude, you can probably work it out. It took Serrels about a week or so.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel for involvement, but I briefly did some freelance stuff for Hyper a couple of years ago.

Actually that reminds me, Jint does Hyper have a digital archive? It'd be cool to find a pdf of a story I did for them.

Sure, what's the name of the article? I'll track it down, though it's probably on disc now.

I remember when they were looking for jobs they were lazy as shit about it. Started off as "E-mail us and we'll let you all know in 3 weeks" to "Been kinda busy, later next month" to "Sometime" to ignoring everyone and never mentioning it again. Bad PCPP!

Uh, this question goes to Photoshop probably...

Clipper

Currently sitting in a bar enjoying a free Fat Yak while I wait for the filming of The Unbelievable Truth made by some of The Chaser guys and Graeme Garden of the Goodies. It's good so far :p

And Yug, I'm part of the dev team for Configurable USB Loader on Wii... Not really part of the industry, I know, but it's something (and we are all pissed by the amount of piracy people use the app for).

Kritz

Banned
I write for an incredibly popular, well respected internet website and have made two very influential browser based entertainment products.

I'm kind of a "big deal" here on AusGAF.

trinest

I write for an incredibly popular, well respected internet website and have made two very influential browser based entertainment products.

I'm kind of a "big deal" here on AusGAF.

Oh please *looks at random AusGAF user* FallbackPants is more of a "big deal" then you.

Danoss

Melbgaf, today I visited the Sunshine trainstation.

Is this place the worst of the worst in Melb? holy crap.

What is it with nice sounding places and the scum of the earth?

I live near Merrylands where the name would imply people are happy in those lands, instead they shoot and stab each-other to death, do drugs and bludge on the dole. When I was unemployed coming out of high school, I saw a dude start a punch-on with a woman in the Centrelink there. Disgraceful.

Dead Man

What is it with nice sounding places and the scum of the earth?

I live near Merrylands where the name would imply people are happy in those lands, instead they shoot and stab each-other to death, do drugs and bludge on the dole. When I was unemployed coming out of high school, I saw a dude start a punch-on with a woman in the Centrelink there. Disgraceful.

coming-to-america-new-york.jpg

Salazar

WON 2-1 at football.

Fuck yeah. Barged a dude over as he was about to take a shot and, quite innocently, patted him on the head as he was getting up.

He wanted to kill me. I am lucky to be posting.

Clipper

On my way back from the filming of The Unbelievable Truth. Not a bad show, but It won't be winning any awards. I think I'll want to go again, though...

Unfortunately, no Graeme Garden tonight. There was Kitty Flanagan, though, and she was great as usual. Weird that I've been to three events with comedians in the last year (GNW filming, QI Live and now this) and she was a guest at all three!

Accidental Stalker.

PS- I've broken my "No Game Purchases this Year" by becoming a financial backer of Double Fine. Can I count it as a shrewd business move into the world of game development or just as a very expensive slip?

PPS-The credit section is going to have at least 1314 additional people in it. It will proably still be shorter than the credits of Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Dead Man

http://abc.com.au/news/2012-02-09/nz-report-on-earthquake/3821042

Looks like the CTV building that collapsed was not up to standard when it was built

Building and Housing Department manager David Hopkins delivered the report.

"How did the building collapse? A number of possibilities were examined, but in all cases the investigation concluded that the collapse will have started with the failure of a column," he said.

"The columns were weak, they were brittle, and the building twisted more than normal.

"Once the collapse started, the fact that these floors pulled away from the beams and walls, if they'd been more, better connected it may have limited the collapse or at least slowed it down."

The CTV building was designed and built by local companies and was given the green light by the Christchurch City Council in 1986.

The report says three factors were critical in contributing to the building's collapse. One was the intense horizontal ground shaking. No-one could be blamed for that.

But two of the three factors relate to design and construction. One was the lack of strength and mobility in the supporting columns.

The other was the asymmetrical layout and weakness of the bracing walls which meant the building was unable to effectively spread the impact of the earthquake.

In short, the building did not meet the building standards of the day.
More at the link.

Shaneus

Accidental Stalker.

PS- I've broken my "No Game Purchases this Year" by becoming a financial backer of Double Fine. Can I count it as a shrewd business move into the world of game development or just as a very expensive slip?

PPS-The credit section is going to have at least 1314 additional people in it. It will proably still be shorter than the credits of Assassin's Creed: Revelations.
I only donated so my name would infect every single person's copy of the game, therefore ensuring that there's a little bit of me on a shitload of PCs.

Also, BEAT HAZARD IS ON iOS!!!!!!!!!!!! Had no idea it was coming, so it's fair to say that when it came, I did too.

Choc

Banned
the scary thing about that is that it didn't conform with 1986 building specifications which are even more lax than they are now

PLUS, they had no idea CHCH was on a fault line, so earthquake proof wasn't part of the regulations like it is for Wellington

that was one shoddy building :(

Compo will be through the roof.

edit: imagine if Kickstarter was the future of preordering games

remove EB etc. Fund the games you want :)

Money straight to dev

Deeku

WON 2-1 at football.

Fuck yeah. Barged a dude over as he was about to take a shot and, quite innocently, patted him on the head as he was getting up.

Heh, I used to barge people down, slide people, you name it, in games against other schools. This one time the goalkeeper rushed out to the edge of the box to dive on the through ball, so I followed through and "accidentally" kicked him in the face as I hopped over him. I say "accidentally" because it kinda was an accident, but then I also kinda wanted to kick him in the face because he kept pushing me around and was an ass during previous corners. But yeah, I was out of there sooo quick once the match was over because he was angry, triple my size and had backup lol.

Also, I decided to put in FFXIII to finish it before playing anymore FFXIII-2 and what the hell why does XIII look soooo much better than XIII-2?!

Danoss

WON 2-1 at football.

Penalty goal and a field goal were the only points scored, no tries... oh, you're talking about Soccer.

:p

Melbgaf, today I visited the Sunshine trainstation.

Is this place the worst of the worst in Melb? holy crap.

That place is a bloody nightmare. Glad I don't catch the train anymore, because I dread hitting that stop. Always stupidly busy.

That, and the two Footscray stations that NO-ONE gets on/off at. NO-ONE.

Gazunta

Me, me! But you already knew that.

God damn I can't stress enough how happy the result for the Double Fine Kickstarter has made me. I love Double Fine and an old friend of mine works there,so it's nice to know at least one person I know can still have a job making games.

This is the future.

Top Bottom