• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

I love Double Fine and an old friend of mine works there,so it's nice to know at least one person I know can still have a job making games.
Help me get an art job there, you beautiful bastard! I don't care that if you could get someone a job there you'd get yourself a job first. Just shut up and do it!

I only donated so my name would infect every single person's copy of the game, therefore ensuring that there's a little bit of me on a shitload of PCs.
I'm now committed to learning both programming and hacking so that I may go into my copy of the game and remove you from it. And everyone else.

And replace everybody's name with mine.

And THEN I could answer "Yes, I'm in the industry" to Yug's question, "I made this whole fucking game."

Me, me! But you already knew that.

God damn I can't stress enough how happy the result for the Double Fine Kickstarter has made me. I love Double Fine and a hot friend of mine works there,so it's nice to know at least one person I know can still have a job making games.

This is the future.

fixed.

I like the idea of this sort of thing but in reality it would only work with a few beloved developers (ones with extraordinary goodwill), most of whom already have financial security or owned by someone else.

Bungie, Blizzard, Valve, Criterion, Epic, Firaxis, Rockstar North, Notch, might do well if they tried something like this as well some of the better known indies. I heard Slightly Mad are funding a racing game in a similar way.

Gazunta

Oh god you just made me think of a crowd sourced Elite 4.

I would fucking sell my house and live in my car to pitch in for that.

midonnay

I've always believed the crowd donation model would work well for tv shows.

ie: a producer is having trouble convincing a tv station to continue their series..... send a shoutout to the fanbase and try to raise some moolah.

at the very least, they should raise enough to make a finale.

rather than *dale cooper bangs head on mirror* THE END.

Yagharek

the doublefine thing restores my belief in gaming humanity

Thing is, there are only a handful of developers that could pull this off. Maybe Frontier (eg Lost Winds) are another - making small type games to fund bigger ones. That's what DF were going to do, but it seems now they might be better off going the smaller, more creative route.

I've always believed the crowd donation model would work well for tv shows.
Wastelander Panda. This is your chance to prove that it can work.

The Double Fine thing shows that gamers will rally together when there's something they believe in. By and large gamers will drop substantial amounts of money on the very same.

legend166

Remember when I asked for trivia names?

We had the trivia night last night.

Taking Care of Quizness finished in the bottom half of the table :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I went to a hipster enclave last night.

That was interesting.

Kritz

Banned
For realsies?

Well, by actual I meant I flew one in a video game. But it was a simulation game, so that still counts, right? So if there's ever a helicopter that only needs 5 things toggled before take off, I'm your man.

Oh, and I crashed every single time.

BUT I DID LOOK AT THAT ROCK, NOONE CAN DEN- what do you mean it was a fake rock?!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What, like a mid-summer scarf convention?

Might as well have been. Lots of bad moustaches, waxed hair, tight jeans and nerdy glasses that may or may not have had lenses.

Well, by actual I meant I flew one in a video game. But it was a simulation game, so that still counts, right? So if there's ever a helicopter that only needs 5 things toggled before take off, I'm your man.

Oh, and I crashed every single time.

BUT I DID LOOK AT THAT ROCK, NOONE CAN DEN- what do you mean it was a fake rock?!

Haha chalk one up for FallbackPants, that was a real hedge I saw. Oh wait, no that was Theme Park.

Also, how good was Theme Park!

Kritz

Banned
Haha chalk one up for FallbackPants, that was a real hedge I saw. Oh wait, no that was Theme Park.

Also, how good was Theme Park!

I feel like shaking your hand, if it wasn't so fucking complicated.

.. did that game ever get a GOG release? I'm bad at paying attention to stuff like that.

Stackboy

Any Brisgaffers, Lansmash is on this weekend.

www.lansmash.com I'm going to play games till my eyes bleed (and lose in the Soul Calibur 5 comp).

We even have a Paper Scissors Rock competition, the prize is an Xbox 360!

commissar

The superior RollerCoaster Tycoon (1 & 2) are available on gog.com including expansions.

Also I pledged $30 to doublefine yesterday. Feeling good.

^holy shit. one million already. Are we hitting sequel territory already??

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Keep in mind that that is just PLEDGED money, not actually submitted money. That number means nothing until April.

Well, people have to have submitted legit payment details up until this point. Short of them all pulling out, they'll be billed once this ticks over.

Edit: autocorrect

Well, that's 3 wisdom teeth extracted. 2 of them had roots that were, and I quote, so "monstrous" that the dental surgeon asked if he could keep them. He was right, too; a tooth roots shouldn't be twisted like gazelle horns. No wonder it took almost an hour to get 1 out.

Or, he just has a necklace that he wanted to add them to. Or he could secretly be creating a human out of body parts that he's been collecting.

Feel fine now, but the buttload of local anaesthetic is still swirly around my head. Feels good man... for now.

$1,002,588
PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL
A lot of pre-orders there. Would be nice if they release the number of actual pre-orders once the Kickstarter is closed off.

Shows that people will pay for a game they want. This isn't demanding money, this is simply giving people the option to chip in more money because of the closer experience the process will give them. We know that are money are going to Double Fine, to the people directly making the game, rather than being diluted by all the middle men. I get a Steam code delivered to me the day that they consider the game ready, not 3-18 months down the track when a publisher thinks it will do best at.

Huge win win for everyone. This process has worked well for bands I have pre-ordered from in the past and will continue to be a great option depending on the exposure required.

I feel like shaking your hand, if it wasn't so fucking complicated.

.. did that game ever get a GOG release? I'm bad at paying attention to stuff like that.
It got a fantastic iOS version! Ask Gaz about it, I remember him being chuffed over it.

Curt Shilling is pretty damn awesome.
Really enjoyed every interview I have read with him, guy really seems to know what's up. He pulled together a great team and produced a fantastic first effort. Hope it does well enough to lead to some more releases from them.

whats everyone's plans for the weekend guys? anything fun, or is your part of the country waste deep in water

A mate's wedding. Should be awesome.

So ACA stole one of my stories and turned it into a classic ACA showdown.

Mine

ACA

That said my story was far too ACA territory to start with. Not my favourite thing to write about.

Choc

Banned
so i decided t oread more about DF kickstarter (i funded it like as soon as i saw it)

There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide

awesome :D

Choc

Banned
reptile if it comes off this is going to change the nature of PC game publishing forever

Consoles, its different because you still need to get dev units and cert but PC gaming could entirely be funded like this.

Gazunta

Reptile I was not very happy with Theme Park iOS - but not because of the IAP that everyone bitched about. I wrote about it on Blow The Cartridge.

And guys, it's not like a telethon where you call up and promise to give the money but never do. You put in your payment info now, and that's locked in by Amazon payments. It's just that your CC isn't charged until the project goes over the target amount at the end of the drive.

Yes you theoretically COULD withdraw your pledge but the number of people who do that on Kickstarter is so small it's statistically insignificant.

Top Bottom