• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

reptile if it comes off this is going to change the nature of PC game publishing forever
Not at the top (e.g. 'AAA') end. There's not nearly enough money in donations through Kickstarter for all but the most respected developers. Fewer than 40% off Kickstarter projects are actually fully funded, and fewer than 50% of projects that get their full finding even finish. Not to mention the average Kickstarter project fund is less than $10k.

For low and mid tier developers (e.g. mostly indie), sure, it most definitely has the ability to change the landscape, but not at the high end, where all the money really is.

But then again, do 'real' gamers care about blockbusters? According to GAF, they're all terrible.

Not at the top (e.g. 'AAA') end. There's not nearly enough money in donations through Kickstarter for all but the most respected developers. Fewer than 40% off Kickstarter projects are actually fully funded, and fewer than 50% of projects that get their full finding even finish. Not to mention the average Kickstarter project fund is less than $10k.

Musicians and really bizarre/original projects seem to get the most funding. About 10 YouTube musos I follow have gotten albums and (once) a short tour funded by Kickstarter.

Also quote for new page:

Guys: http://www.ozgameshop.com/sale/2-pc-games-for-18 what should i buy.

im thinking splinter cell conviction and or metro and or bioshock 2

definitely interested in splinter cell, dunno about metro and bioshock 2

Choc

Banned
the amazing thing is, Gabe predicted this very thing

that guy knows gaming

just an FYI

ANZ ATM told me yesterday all ANZ atms will be offline from 12am-6am on Tuesday

WTF

ive never seen a bank take its entire ATM system offline. People work 24/7 these days, what if you desperately need cash? I get that maintanence needs to be done, but the entire system going offline for 6 hours in the middle of the night when shops won't be open for eftpos is a bit of a problem

No way he ever becomes PM. He has literally no real world experience. How can he understand the struggles "real people" when he become a Federal member at 20 and suddenly had his every need catered for.

He might be interesting now while he's still in his first term and still in his early 20s, but by the time he's, hell even 30, he'll be another institutionalized pollie. But with even less experience of living in the "real world" than others.

lol wtf is this shit

That is seriously bizarre

this

''When was the last time the Labor Party actually delivered a budget surplus?'' he asked.

He said this in his first ever question time, why is he repeating the same exact thing a year later wtf.

whats everyone's plans for the weekend guys? anything fun, or is your part of the country waste deep in water

Going out tomorrow night in Civic

Choc

Banned
No way he ever becomes PM. He has literally no real world experience. How can he understand the struggles "real people" when he become a Federal member at 20 and suddenly had his every need catered for.

He might be interesting now while he's still in his first term and still in his early 20s, but by the time he's, hell even 30, he'll be another institutionalized pollie. But with even less experience of living in the "real world" than others.

How is that different to ANY other politician right now in general?

Most of them have been career politicians, or in the case of Malcom Turnbull rich all their lives.

None of them have been on struggle street it seems.

He makes a lot of very good points that is mature beyond his years. Many politicians won't admit it but Canberra is incredibly insular, they have no idea what goes on in the real world because none of them live in it due to their job and the perks it offers.

You might say that someone with 15 years of struggling somehow getting into parliament might help, but you need to fund an election campaign. That's expensive, quitting your job to run for it, thats expensive

I don't think you earn a salary when you are pre-selected by a party, i think they pay for the campaign and thats it, not sure. So you need to be somewhat ok.

BUT, i'd say 2-5 years in Canberra as a polly, anyone would forget the 'real world'

edit: He is just being an abbott drone roosters. They are all being total dickheads this week. No one gives a shit about the australia day situation when there are much bigger issues to deal with.

Choc

Banned
Case in point

John Howard

After gaining his Leaving Certificate, he studied law at the University of Sydney, graduating in 1961,[9] and subsequently practising as a solicitor for twelve years.[14]

yep, solicitors sure are not part of the 1%

Salazar

edit: He is just being an abbott drone roosters. They are all being total dickheads this week. No one gives a shit about the australia day situation when there are much bigger issues to deal with.

We have ickle Campbell Newman running his mouth for another month or so before the QLD election.

Hope that asshole loses his seat. I really, really want to see it happen. Kate is up by a few points on him, and he doesn't have a molecule of charm.

How is that different to ANY other politician right now in general?

Most of them have been career politicians, or in the case of Malcom Turnbull rich all their lives.

None of them have been on struggle street it seems.

He makes a lot of very good points that is mature beyond his years. Many politicians won't admit it but Canberra is incredibly insular, they have no idea what goes on in the real world because none of them live in it due to their job and the perks it offers.

You might say that someone with 15 years of struggling somehow getting into parliament might help, but you need to fund an election campaign. That's expensive, quitting your job to run for it, thats expensive

I don't think you earn a salary when you are pre-selected by a party, i think they pay for the campaign and thats it, not sure. So you need to be somewhat ok.

BUT, i'd say 2-5 years in Canberra as a polly, anyone would forget the 'real world'

Case in point

John Howard

After gaining his Leaving Certificate, he studied law at the University of Sydney, graduating in 1961,[9] and subsequently practising as a solicitor for twelve years.[14]

yep, solicitors sure are not part of the 1%

Oh for sure few, if any of them are know the struggles of the average voter, but at least they've held down a steady job. They have experience outside of politics. Roy has none. If he stays in power he will know only politics and Canberra for his entire adult life.

Clipper

whats everyone's plans for the weekend guys? anything fun, or is your part of the country waste deep in water
Sunday is SydGAF board gaming day, so that's my thing... With Saturday being taken up by house cleaning and venturing into Amalur, seeing as my copy arrived this morning.

Jezabel

boring night planned for me, involving playing Battlefield 3 on ps3, all my clan mates have told me there a really bad prominent no weapons glitch happening at the moment. as well as all the aussie servers being laggy

jambo

I'll be watching this tonight!

O70lOl.jpg

=D =D =D

Omikron

Been stuck in a practically all day meeting going through mockups of new functionality.

Joy of joys I now have ot break it down and estimate on it all. That is ~60 pages of text and screen mock ups.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The opening hour or so of The Darkness II is flashy. I'm liking it.

legend166

I've decided that buying Kingdoms of Amalalalalalalur is going to be my present for getting my CCNA certificate. Can hopefully get it in a month or so.

Choc

Banned
So i just read up on the patriot act

i would say using that act against mega upload proves three things

1) that act is being abused to the shitter. The patriot act is designed to help prevent terrorism. Megaupload is copyright infringement allegedly....

2) that the act was rushed through after 9/11 (signed into law 26th Oct 2001)

3) that its extremely wide ranging if it allows it to be used against copyright theft when its designed to stop terrorism

crazy

Axiom

If the Vita is that much cheaper at launch, I'll probably pick up Uncharted too.

Kingdoms of Ama..er...Reckoning is pretty good, and forced me to figure out how to emulate a PS3 controller as an XBOX controller on my PC due to the GreenManGaming price. So bonus points.

I'll be damned if I can sit through half the quest dialogue though. I usually devour every branch of a dialogue tree, but I just can't bring myself to care with most of these side-quests. Maybe SWTOR ruined me.

I'll be watching this tonight!

O70lOl.jpg

=D =D =D

I picked up season 8 of Buffy on DVD (something I never thought I'd get to say) and yet suddenly my geek boner feels woefully inadequate. Envy!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Metro 2033 was great and anyone that doesn't like it clearly has no taste in video games.

If playing a video game involves following characters around for hours as they do nothing but talk at me, with the occasional intermission of awful shooting sequence of pea shooters vs. bullet sponges, then I don't want to play games.

Sure is pretty though. And like the sucker I am, I'll probably end up getting Last Light. Feels bad man.

Sorry for the overly snarky response but:

2) that the act was rushed through after 9/11 (signed into law 26th Oct 2001)

3) that its extremely wide ranging if it allows it to be used against copyright theft when its designed to stop terrorism
crazy

DUH!

The Patriot Act allows the government to do almost anything to everyone if it could prevent an attack on American soil. Megaupload could have terrorist stuff on it. Sure, why not. That's enough to invoke the Patriot Act. Because piracy funds terrorists. Communists, too.

Omikron

If playing a video game involves following characters around for hours as they do nothing but talk at me, with the occasional intermission of awful shooting sequence of pea shooters vs. bullet sponges, then I don't want to play games.

Sure is pretty though. And like the sucker I am, I'll probably end up getting Last Light. Feels bad man.

Isn't that every modern game though?

Echoplx

This man knows what's up. My exact thoughts on Metro.

Choc

Banned
ANZ raises rates

the country is struggling and you fat cunts can't take the fact your profits won't be as high

bank shareholders piss me off no end with their attitude. You do not need 4 billion profits quarterly.

FWIW, savings accounts won't be getting the increase it seems.

Top Bottom