• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

legend166

Discussing music with a friend at work, saying I don't really listen to radio/top 40 music (not saying it in a 'hipster' way, the music I listen to is plenty popular). He says:

"You're really missing out on stuff like Pitbull and Rihanna?"

Now he's telling me Chester from Linkin Park is a better vocalist than Thom Yorke, and this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJmE4c50K8

is better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJmE4c50K8

I am never discussing music with him ever again. EVER.

Deeku

He was referring to his hair.

Dumb analogy though and doesn't really make sense since the bottom bits of his hair are dyed:/

Choc

Banned
ABC guys did that the other day with 1 particular name and started calling him an easier pronunciation but did profusely apologise they couldn't get it right.

whats everyone's plans for the weekend guys? anything fun, or is your part of the country waste deep in water

Not too much. Just relaxing. Might get deep into replaying both Mass Effects on a 360, since the PC I game on is deciding that our network doesn't exist anymore.

If playing a video game involves following characters around for hours as they do nothing but talk at me, with the occasional intermission of awful shooting sequence of pea shooters vs. bullet sponges, then I don't want to play games.

Sure is pretty though. And like the sucker I am, I'll probably end up getting Last Light. Feels bad man.
I should have quoted this post. Start a newsletter that I can subscribe to man!

jambo

Now he's telling me Chester from Linkin Park is a better vocalist than Thom Yorke

RoDhi.gif

EDIT: I just found this whilst going through my Imgur account :lol

kDn1yl.png

Metro 2033 was great and anyone that doesn't like it clearly has no taste in video games.

I was really enjoying it until I got stuck in a difficult bit I couldn't get through. Tried it a bunch of times and gave up, instead going for something else. As a shooter I'd say it was decidedly average or maybe even below average but the atmosphere redeemed it, it was so well done.

I really should have another crack at it this weekend.

Danoss

The trial day went well, smashed through the work that was put in front of me and impressed the person with whom I'll be working. We do all the contract discussion and such on Monday.

Thanks for your kind words and support AusGAF. I couldn't be happier.

The trial day went well, smashed through the work that was put in front of me and impressed the person with whom I'll be working. We do all the contract discussion and such on Monday.

Everything's coming up Danoss! Congrats man. I don't remember if you mentioned it, was the job in your regular line of work?

As for my weekend, I'll be playing Skyward Sword, Rage and maybe Metro now that I've been reminded about it..

If I could say one thing to the women walking past me sitting in the subway on Swanston near Flinders, this would be it: "you can't hide your big nose with big cleavage."

wonzo

Banned
If playing a video game involves following characters around for hours as they do nothing but talk at me, with the occasional intermission of awful shooting sequence of pea shooters vs. bullet sponges, then I don't want to play games.
BROTHER!

Congratulations!

Metro was constricting and frustrating. I felt more of a passenger than in the Call of Duty games. Also check points. I was expecting a more action-horror STALKER from the developer pedigree and the pre-release hype.
I was disappointed.

Congrats! Keep the energy up and things will get better and better beyond your wildest dreams.

If I could say one thing to the women walking past me sitting in the subway on Swanston near Flinders, this would be it: "you can't hide your big nose with big cleavage."
tumblr_lvr1t5ZT0Q1qmp0oxo1_500.jpg

jambo

Metro was constricting and frustrating. I felt more of a passenger than in the Call of Duty games. Also check points. I was expecting a more action-horror STALKER from the developer pedigree and the pre-release hype.
I was disappointed.

It is very linear, but I love the way it's presented. There's just so much detail in the environments, especially the stations.

A lot of people went in expecting an open world game because of the STALKER ties.

Kritz

Banned
Finished The Darkness 2. Was pretty awesome. Could be top five GOTY for 2012. But I'm a bit special like that.

It has four player coop that directly ties into the story. We should do that sometime, whoever else has it on PC.

Danoss

Everything's coming up Danoss! Congrats man. I don't remember if you mentioned it, was the job in your regular line of work?

As for my weekend, I'll be playing Skyward Sword, Rage and maybe Metro now that I've been reminded about it..
Thanks everyone!

It's not in my usual areas like insurance or retail. In a word, it's telesales. It's not the dreaded telemarketing that everyone knows and hates, I chase up details from current clients and call up possible leads that have been met face-to-face previously.

The company is just starting, so there are promotions in the pipeline I'm told. This is for a new iPhone/Android app that will be launched next month.

A lot of people went in expecting an open world game because of the STALKER ties.
It just felt like they were trying to emulate a Call of Duty game with the staged events and the rigid structure. I liked the atmosphere but felt the ideas and game world were insanely under used. Ranger mode was a great improvement to direct you to play in a way that became much more enjoyable but the base game itself seemed like a confused middle child while I was trying to make the most of my $80.

Finished The Darkness 2. Was pretty awesome. Could be top five GOTY for 2012. But I'm a bit special like that.
Is that because you have played 3 FPS games this year?

Fogz

Started Metro not expecting much. Loved it. Finished it and ran out and bought the book. Loved it too.

Man there are some creepyarse bits in that book!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It is very linear, but I love the way it's presented. There's just so much detail in the environments, especially the stations.

See, I agree with the first wholeheartedly. Metro is crazy beautiful, detailed and has really memorable atmosphere. Super creepy and sticks with you longer after you've played.

But I didn't so much expect STALKER, as a competent game, and I just couldn't find it. Excessively linear and scripted with some of the most criminal use of "follow NPC to trigger action" ever, awful sounding/feeling weapons, bullet sponge enemies, and totally forgettable level design.

I love it as a technology and art piece, but loath it as a game. Though I can see why someone might not have as many issues with the latter as I did, and enjoy the former enough to let the game's problems slide.

All Last Light really needs to do is stop ball-and-chaining the player to an NPC and improve the gunplay and I'm sold.

Kritz

Banned
Is that because you have played 3 FPS games this year?
I don't think I've even played three. But darkness had some real good shooting / combat. So much more varied than bulletstorm or rage, even though it still kinda goes for that environmental kill thing like bulletstorm.

It's like having a gravity gun, leash from bulletstorm and two guns all at once. It's just the right amount of creative violence.

Tony A has banned Liberals from twitter
I thought he forced everyone to get an account? Maybe I am thinking of Channel 9.

nah he was honest and said go up stairs, i dont think he knew to be fair. To make sure they did go upstairs he appealed, i think thats fair enough

even the commentators said he couldn't have known
Yeah on replays it seems like he didn't watch the ball into his gloves which seems strange for a keeper. It was pretty clear that he pulled it off the ground though.

I don't think I've even played three. But darkness had some real good shooting / combat. So much more varied than bulletstorm or rage, even though it still kinda goes for that environmental kill thing like bulletstorm.

It's like having a gravity gun, leash from bulletstorm and two guns all at once. It's just the right amount of creative violence.
Yeah creative gunplay makes a game much more enjoyable for me if I find myself being irritated by other little things. The gunplay in RAGE more than made up for the nothing story and up/down graphics at times. Same with the fun gameplay of Singularity aside for its general b-level quality.
I was more harsh on Metro than I actually meant. There is a good game there but it wasn't what I wanted. It didn't grab me, engage me enough to make me care about the detailed world they had created.

Top Bottom