• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

So, my NAS is up and running. 5 FUCKING HOURS TO BUILD A THREE-DISK RAID 5 ARRAY. That's blank. No data. So now I'm copying my old NAS data to it. 3.15TB, 24 hours. Uuuuuugh. THEN I have to put my old drives into the new NAS to expand the three-disk R5 to a seven-disk. That will be painful, too.

But oh man, 12TB of storage once it's up and running. Oh yeah.

Starting to want a cat again. Even just for the lols between my son and a cat. Would be the cutest thing in the world if he had a cat that slept on the end of his bed.

Brb going to slit wrists

Make sure to break down on your knees in the rain while shouting to the heavens NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

legend166

GRR Martin is a such a bastard. He killed...........................

........................in other words, finished ADwD. If you thought ASoS was amazing, think again. The last few chapters were mind blowing.

Okay, so this post is stupid on several levels.

One, WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT? Do you have aspergers?

Two, ASoS is about a million times better than ADwD.

Clipper

As I'm nearing the end of Swords, I must admit I am a little pissed by that quasi-spoiler as well. Hopefully I'll have forgotten by the time I get to Dragons, but I'll probably be second guessing who is going to die during the last few chapters... Thanks heaps DeathJr :(

I don't understand the problem. Do you have to have read the books before you comprehend what has been spoiled?

Edit: From my (admittedly brief) exposure to the books, the deaths seem to be often and sudden. I'm fairly sure that if I kept reading I'd be predicting deaths at every corner.

Nope. Metro 2033 can get bent. Saving a checkpoint when I have a guy directly in front of me and one behind and to the side? Uninstall time.

Nope. Metro 2033 can get bent. Saving a checkpoint when I have a guy directly in front of me and one behind and to the side? Uninstall time.

it loads back like that? from memory all the checkpoint restore states seemed hard-coded to me. played on 360, but that shouldn't make a difference.

it loads back like that? from memory all the checkpoint restore states seemed hard-coded to me. played on 360, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Yeah, I quit out and went back in. Maybe there's a way to start back from the beginning of the level, but that was really it's last chance and it made it even worse.

I would have been much more willing to push through the game if it wasn't for the checkpoint system. Especially on PC. I have played more than a few FPS that have used checkpoints fine but in Metro I found them to be horrible. Space Marine has a few checkpoint problems too but nowhere near as bad.

I will probably pick up Last Light, especially if it can get a mod community going.

Yeah, I quit out and went back in. Maybe there's a way to start back from the beginning of the level, but that was really it's last chance and it made it even worse.

pretty sure there's a chapter select or something like that you can use to restart levels, memory is a bit hazy, but fair enough if that's it. there was one particularly frustrating checkpoint for me but like i say i think it was hard-coded that way.

Deeku

Phew dodged a bullet there! Managed to skim past deathjr's post without really reading it.

This thread has a history of spoiling the crap out of ASOIAF:/

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What's the spoiler that death posted, That someone died? Just about every dies in those books and i'm only up to book 4.

I'm not too sure why, Oh shit he killed someone else, is that big of a deal?

I expect no one to be alive by the end of that series at the rate he is going.

Shaneus

Edit: From my (admittedly brief) exposure to the books, the deaths seem to be often and sudden. I'm fairly sure that if I kept reading I'd be predicting deaths at every corner.
Pages have four corners. Are you saying that every page there are four deaths? Fucking hell man, spoiler that shit.

Clipper

WARNING: Discussion of the quasi-spoiler follows...

He didn't just say that someone died. He said (or at least strongly implied) that
someone special dies at the end of the book
. Part of the draw of the books is that you don't know exactly when anything is going to go down. I can't say for sure, having not read that far, but my experience will probably have just changed from
a nail-biting read wondering whether my favourite characters are going to survive to a guessing game of, "Oh, he's probably the one, yeah..." I will be expecting a death and it will no doubt have far less impact now. My only hope now is that multiple characters die so that I can still be surprised after the death of one of them
(and please, don't anybody say whether I'm right or wrong with this hope).

Clipper

In more positive spoilers, I bought some snacks for SydGAF board gaming day...

photo-85.jpg

Seems decidely AusGAFian enough :p

Didn't want to get so many Shapes, but 4 packs was the same price as 3, so I couldn't resist... and now SydGAF will be able to definitively end the AusGAF argument of which flavour is better!

If you're expecting main characters NOT to die in ASoIaF books, you're reading the wrong ones!

I got so pissed at Martin last night when I finished that book. Dead characters have come back to life as well, so I'm hoping that this one does too.

But who wants to wait till 2016 for the next book?

Clipper

Today is SydGAF board game day?
Tomorrow is.

WARNING: spoiler discussion follows...

If you're expecting main characters NOT to die in ASoIaF books, you're reading the wrong ones!

I got so pissed at Martin last night when I finished that book. Dead characters have come back to life as well, so I'm hoping that this one does too.

But who wants to wait till 2016 for the next book?
If the first comment wasn't ban worthy, that one DEFINITELY is.

And it's not that you said that people died. You told us
exactly when somebody is going to die
. That removes all the tension of that event.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I personally don't see the issue with it considering the tag line of the first book is, "In the game of thrones, You win or you die".

I think it's fairly obvious people die before you even read the first page.

He didn't say it was an important character and even still. It could be a character he loves but other readers hate.

I think if someone said, I can't believe in book 6 no one dies. That would be more mind blowing and spoilerish than someone dying.

Shaneus

In more positive spoilers, I bought some snacks for SydGAF board gaming day...

photo-85.jpg

Seems decidely AusGAFian enough :p

Didn't want to get so many Shapes, but 4 packs was the same price as 3, so I couldn't resist... and now SydGAF will be able to definitively end the AusGAF argument of which flavour is better!
SydGAF gaming day? Shit, that's my daily supermarket haul.

Actually, maybe add a few more Kooka's.

The most exciting youngster since Ponting

See if you can guess before clicking cricket fans.
Hover over link wins. Time will tell, far too early yet though.

I would hardly call Star Wars "one of the best Fantasy series ever."
One of the most enjoyable easily. Still love the original movies, lots of fun.

Ok just to be clear
nobody died in the very last chapter.

NOTE: IT WAS NOT BLACKED OUT IN HIS POST
lol that is exactly the kind of spoiler people DON'T want to know about a book! As has already been said it removes the tension from the book. Kind of like in a movie when there are no stakes you stop caring about what is going on because there is no consequence to the actions.

Clipper

Well, he DID use the spoiler tags. Not his fault that some other folk use them for non-spoilery reasons :p

No he didn't. If they are in his post now (which I can't see due to ignore) it's because he edited them in afterwards. The tags in my posts quoting him were added by me. The first spoiler was innocent enough to be seen as a mistake. The other two posted above show a clear disregard for everything we've been saying, though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I love spoilers, It drives me to want to read or watch whatever is being spoiled. It's why that spoiler didn't bother me, It makes me want to push through the
snore fest
that is book 4.

But I do understand why people are pissed at even any hint of future events in any sort of media.

So, my NAS is up and running. 5 FUCKING HOURS TO BUILD A THREE-DISK RAID 5 ARRAY. That's blank. No data. So now I'm copying my old NAS data to it. 3.15TB, 24 hours. Uuuuuugh. THEN I have to put my old drives into the new NAS to expand the three-disk R5 to a seven-disk. That will be painful, too.

But oh man, 12TB of storage once it's up and running. Oh yeah.

What nas did you get?

jambo

awful sounding/feeling weapons, bullet sponge enemies, and totally forgettable level design.
I hear this all the time from people and I just never get it. I love everything about the guns in Metro (STALKER too, especially Call of Pripyat) and I didn't mind the NPC following. I actually really liked when you were clearing areas with a few guys

Rezbit

Phew dodged a bullet there! Managed to skim past deathjr's post without really reading it.

This thread has a history of spoiling the crap out of ASOIAF:/

Pretty much if you don't want to be spoiled about that series, avoid anything that mentions it. You WILL be spoiled. Don't look at youtube vids of the show, don't read threads that say "use spoilers" or otherwise, and as soon as you see it mentioned by a drone in this thread run as fast as you can.

Yagharek

Death Jr is making things worse. Saying shit that happens in books that is still a massive spoiler as if it constitutes a defence.

One more time and its ignore list for you.

Rezbit

A while ago someone said it would be cool to get some multiplayer Jedi Knight going on? Well the Jedi Knight pack is five bucks on Steam. I'm gonna get it.

edito: Kritz gets it.

Kritz

Banned
If you're going to talk about plot to anything on GAF, use spoiler tags.
If you're not talking about the plot to something, never use spoiler tags.

Don't use spoiler tags to hide jokes or information at the bottom of posts. Use fucking parenthesis or or something, christ.

Top Bottom