• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

SeeMyVest.jpg
Spoiler alert.

Clipper

Attention SydGAF boardgamers!

I can make it after all :)

Couple of questions:

1. Is it still at Clippers?
2. Is it still at 10:30?
3. Why does my heart feel so bad?
1. If you add the possessive apostrophe, then yes.
2. Nobody complained, so I assume yes, but somebody mentioned to check for trackwork if you're planning on using trains.
3. We'll fix that tomorrow.

What's the stocktake for tommorrow? What's our inventory looking like at the moment?
People:
BanShunsaku
Clipper
Danoss
Doncamatic
Jintor
Rahk
Games:
Ticket to Ride
Munchkin
Get Nifty
Civilization Card Game
Pandemic
Resistance (I think these were the two Danoss said he was bringing)

Oh and the Game of Shapes:
photo-85.jpg

Darklord

Banned
Yes, beagles. 6 males and 1 female.

Sorry about your dog.

It's ok, he was 17 years old so I grew up with him. I was originally going to get the same breed but that might be a bit weird looking so much like my other Dog. I dunno if I want to do the whole raising thing from such a young age. Perhaps a 1 year old would be better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ex big boss of PALGN, Jeremy Jastrzab, has written a lovely farewell to the community and a bit of insight in the state of PALGN. Give it a read here, and if you're keen listen to the embed podcast (via the 'tube) from him, myself and our colleague Anthony.

Ydahs

Roland is the major reason that I decided to leave PALGN, and had it not been for my will to take care of the other staff and community, I would have left much sooner. There is enough in the public domain to know what's wrong and what happened, but nothing can possibly come of staying and working with a liar and a bully, who has no idea about anything to do with the games industry or how to run a community orientated website. He is the worst person I have ever worked with and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy to be stuck working with him. In my personal opinion, you'd have to be mad to come and write for PALGN now.
Woah. What are the chances that this Roland guy asks for its removal?

Kind of sucks what the editorial staff has gone through and unfortunately it's an not a new issue. Over the last few years so many editors have left major publications due to the visions of their site's owners being so out of touch with the gaming public.

Ex big boss of PALGN, Jeremy Jastrzab, has written a lovely farewell to the community and a bit of insight in the state of PALGN. Give it a read here, and if you're keen listen to the embed podcast (via the 'tube) from him, myself and our colleague Anthony.

Just got done reading it. Good stuff. Kinda shitty about how his access was revoked, but otherwise, hope you guys have something new and awesome in the works!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

Sad read, I know what its like to have a labour of love. I see a lot of myself in his writing. :(

I wonder how long it is until its deleted. Will listen to the podcast later tonight.

markot

Banned
I think I remember some of the (old?) Palgn staff posting on the old pal community boards at IGN ages ago >.<

I remember this huge ass called legend who used to post there too, wonder whatever happened to him...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think I remember some of the (old?) Palgn staff posting on the old pal community boards at IGN ages ago >.<

That's how PALGN started. It was an offshoot of IGN targeting the Australian gaming community. Most if not all of the OGs came from there.

Woah. What are the chances that this Roland guy asks for its removal?

High, maybe, not sure. I didn't mind him stripping myself (and some other staff) of power/access as we'd all resigned, but Jeremy had not given a formal resignation yet, so removing him out of the blue was pretty weak. Roland may wish to have it removed, and may do so, but I'm sure it will float around.

Just got done reading it. Good stuff. Kinda shitty about how his access was revoked, but otherwise, hope you guys have something new and awesome in the works!

We do :).

VOOK

Aussie Indie gaming site scene needs some new blood on the M-Format scene.

Yes, we're a scene.

Jintor

I wish I had the dedication to care about it on a rough 24/7 basis. As it is I think I'm going through another downturn in terms of caring about videogames (and a probably related upswing in drawing and making a comic)

I wrote like 4 pages of notes and drew 8 page thumbnails today...

VOOK

I wish I had the dedication to care about it on a rough 24/7 basis. As it is I think I'm going through another downturn in terms of caring about videogames (and a probably related upswing in drawing and making a comic)

I wrote like 4 pages of notes and drew 8 page thumbnails today...

24/7? Please I do sleep about 5 hours a night and work another job during the day. ;)

Danoss

Just got home from watching the footy at Gosford. I'm not sure if I'll make it on time to Clipper's for the first session of board gaming since I'm so late getting to bed, but hopefully I won't be too late getting there.

I've got my fingers crossed for no rain, especially like there was today. On the F3 today it rained so hard, we had to travel at about 65-70km/h to drive along it safely with the amount of water on the road. Looking off to the side of Mooney Mooney Bridge we couldn't see a thing, it was just a white sheet, the rain was so dense. If it's anything like that, I'll be very late indeed.

Salazar

SChipperfield Scott Chipperfield
Luis Suarez is a fucking cunt. Pardon my French but who else agrees? #surely

Scotty, I'm so proud.

Bernbaum

Well boohoo, had nothing planned for tonight and I just found out Mastodon were playing in London courtesy of Bill Bailey's twitter.

Would have been kinda rad to attend a concert knowing one of my fave comedians was also in attendance. Plus, y'know, Mastodon.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well boohoo, had nothing planned for tonight and I just found out Mastodon were playing in London courtesy of Bill Bailey's twitter.

Would have been kinda rad to attend a concert knowing one of my fave comedians was also in attendance. Plus, y'know, Mastodon.

Did you enjoy the latest album from them? It's different from Crack, That's for fucking sure.

Bernbaum

Did you enjoy the latest album from them? It's different from Crack, That's for fucking sure.

It's simpler and different but still great. Crack the Skye is a phenomenal album to beat.

In happier news, Mogwai play with the Dirty Three and Mudhoney in London in May. Seen Dirty Three before but am looking forward to seeing them again nonetheless. Mudhoney is a bonus.

Yagharek

This industry is weird.

From an outsiders perspective it sounds nepotistic and hostile. At all levels. I imagine there are lots of people who get burnt out hard by all the bullies and egos like that MacNamara guy, and others who inspect Dreamcast cases for cracks.

legend166

I remember this huge ass called legend who used to post there too, wonder whatever happened to him...

maaaaaaaaaaaaarkot!

Remember when you were a raging communist on the CEB?

Good times.

Dead Man

At work so can't listen to the cast, but that makes for depressing reading, hope you and the rest of PALGN land on your feet.

D.Lo

The PALGN thing has been coming for a long time. I tell you what, the work put into that site by Jeremy, Luke va Leuren, Matt Keller, Brendan Fitzgerald, Chris, John, Chris Leigh, James Peter and many others was breathtaking. It needs to be placed somewhere else (writers maintained copyright on all work).

I had my access removed as well, I've been a 'consulting editor' that meant I didn't do anything since I left. But I don't have copies of my work there :(

Shaneus

From an outsiders perspective it sounds nepotistic and hostile. At all levels. I imagine there are lots of people who get burnt out hard by all the bullies and egos like that MacNamara guy, and others who inspect Dreamcast cases for cracks.
Tomby/Gen X would probably be able to provide you with a bit of perspective on that as well. I know he wrote for Gameplanet NZ and I think still does the odd original review here and there (he mentioned one on his FB only a few months ago).

IGA has Mi Goreng for 25c a packet! Best day ever!

The PALGN thing has been coming for a long time. I tell you what, the work put into that site by Jeremy, Luke va Leuren, Matt Keller, Brendan Fitzgerald, Chris, John, Chris Leigh, James Peter and many others was breathtaking. It needs to be placed somewhere else (writers maintained copyright on all work).

I had my access removed as well, I've been a 'consulting editor' that meant I didn't do anything since I left. But I don't have copies of my work there :(

The bold is great! Hope someone who still has access there grab everything for you guys.

Shaneus

Hey AusGAF. I need a rack for my shoes. Kmart has one or two, but where else would be a place to get some? Please don't say "Ikea", I'm not driving an hour up and back if I don't have to.

Yug

I'm impressed at anyone who manages to keep a community gaming website going for such a long period of time - it ain't easy, with little reward.

Yagharek

Tomby/Gen X would probably be able to provide you with a bit of perspective on that as well. I know he wrote for Gameplanet NZ and I think still does the odd original review here and there (he mentioned one on his FB only a few months ago).

No doubt. I think the problem is that gaming is seen as a nascent industry, so its rife with people jostling to assert their importance. That's the egos like Cage, Housers, McNamara, Howard explained. There is an apparent lack of regulatory pressure, from unions (which I dislike, but they are occasionally useful) and with a high Aussie dollar, I fear for any good people wanting to work in the industry.

I look at it like the hairdressing industry: how many hairdressers do you see over 35? Not many in my experience as it seems like a job with no real future long term. I would argue most people wanting to go into the games industry should take engineering courses instead. Similar skills, superior job prospects and conditions.

EatChildren

I'm impressed at anyone who manages to keep a community gaming website going for such a long period of time - it ain't easy, with little reward.

The occasional free game and event invites are nice, but yeah, a lot of people don't really get the gist of how much work is put into a project like this. None of us are paid a cent, and every time we want to cover an event the travel comes out of our own wallets. Not that we'd expect to be paid for that, but when you consider the fact some staff have flown interstate and even gone to E3, all with their own money and time, you paint a picture of how dedicated and, to use the cliché, passionate we are/were about the website.

It's a labour of love.

Jintor

No doubt. I think the problem is that gaming is seen as a nascent industry, so its rife with people jostling to assert their importance. That's the egos like Cage, Housers, McNamara, Howard explained. There is an apparent lack of regulatory pressure, from unions (which I dislike, but they are occasionally useful) and with a high Aussie dollar, I fear for any good people wanting to work in the industry.

I look at it like the hairdressing industry: how many hairdressers do you see over 35? Not many in my experience as it seems like a job with no real future long term. I would argue most people wanting to go into the games industry should take engineering courses instead. Similar skills, superior job prospects and conditions.
We're not all built for physics and math, Vince.
that's why I'm doing law instead

Yagharek

hairdressers make big bucks in places like Singapore

They can make big bucks in karratha and port hedland too, but the twenty or so at my local are all very young. There's not one over 30. I would find that concerning, from a long term perspective.

We're not all built for physics and math, Vince.
that's why I'm doing law instead

Point being there are plenty of smart people like yourself who could be much better off in an organised industry with professional standards. The games industry seems to offer zero security.

Top Bottom