• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Agyar

If you're going to talk about plot to anything on GAF, use spoiler tags.
If you're not talking about the plot to something, never use spoiler tags.

Don't use spoiler tags to hide jokes or information at the bottom of posts. Use fucking parenthesis or or something, christ.

No.

Omikron

I fucking hate EA products

OSwNS.png

Just die in a fucking fire.

Shaneus

No he didn't. If they are in his post now (which I can't see due to ignore) it's because he edited them in afterwards. The tags in my posts quoting him were added by me. The first spoiler was innocent enough to be seen as a mistake. The other two posted above show a clear disregard for everything we've been saying, though.
Nah, it was actually a quote reptile put the tags in. My mistake.

Shaneus

If you're going to talk about plot to anything on GAF, use spoiler tags.
If you're not talking about the plot to something, never use spoiler tags.

Don't use spoiler tags to hide jokes or information at the bottom of posts. Use fucking parenthesis or or something, christ.

[spoilertag]FUCK YOU, KRITZ[/spoilertag]

See, I agree with the first wholeheartedly. Metro is crazy beautiful, detailed and has really memorable atmosphere. Super creepy and sticks with you longer after you've played.

But I didn't so much expect STALKER, as a competent game, and I just couldn't find it. Excessively linear and scripted with some of the most criminal use of "follow NPC to trigger action" ever, awful sounding/feeling weapons, bullet sponge enemies, and totally forgettable level design.

I love it as a technology and art piece, but loath it as a game. Though I can see why someone might not have as many issues with the latter as I did, and enjoy the former enough to let the game's problems slide.

All Last Light really needs to do is stop ball-and-chaining the player to an NPC and improve the gunplay and I'm sold.

i'll give you awful sounding weapons and bullet sponge enemies (though you can bypass a lot of them by creeping around) and insanely linear. the shotgun which i invested heavily in was fairly disappointing. The whole "super ammo as currency" thing kind of sucked also. Didn't spend it incase i wanted to shoot it, didn't shoot it in case i wanted to spend it, then i'd accidentally switched ammo type without noticing and waste it all :/

*some* of the level design was outstanding though, I was a big fan of certain parts of the last level. given the overall shortness of the game, and the $15 i paid for it, I was pretty happy with what I got. I did have more overall fun with un-modded STALKER though, which probably tells you how much jank i'm willing to overlook..

Shaneus

What nas did you get?
This sucker:
N7700PRO_ANGLE_LARGE2.png

So stoked. A mate at work got it for me through a supplier, basically a display model. No box or cables or anything (trays though, obv) for around $660 shipped. Had been used (was a small amount of dust around vents) but considering new they're still around $1100 (at least) I'm over the moon.

Best part is, there are SO many plugins and modifications that can be done. The guy who got it for me (who paid near-retail only 12mo ago trololol) has an NZB plugin to automatically download from Usenet, checksum, download needed PAR files and extract, as well as Sickbeard to automate downloading of TV shows. Will also be getting Twonky for UPnP stuff. Said mate is also going to the trouble of soldering a VGA port to the motherboard (there's a space for it there, just not hooked up) to hook up a mini LCD screen.

When I had it delivered to my work, I also ordered some Arctic Cooling case fans as well. May upgrade the PSU fan as well, but I'll see how I go noise-wise.

This sucker:
N7700PRO_ANGLE_LARGE2.png

So stoked. A mate at work got it for me through a supplier, basically a display model. No box or cables or anything (trays though, obv) for around $660 shipped. Had been used (was a small amount of dust around vents) but considering new they're still around $1100 (at least) I'm over the moon.

Best part is, there are SO many plugins and modifications that can be done. The guy who got it for me (who paid near-retail only 12mo ago trololol) has an NZB plugin to automatically download from Usenet, checksum, download needed PAR files and extract, as well as Sickbeard to automate downloading of TV shows. Will also be getting Twonky for UPnP stuff. Said mate is also going to the trouble of soldering a VGA port to the motherboard (there's a space for it there, just not hooked up) to hook up a mini LCD screen.

When I had it delivered to my work, I also ordered some Arctic Cooling case fans as well. May upgrade the PSU fan as well, but I'll see how I go noise-wise.

Nice. The plugins really make it.

Best part is, there are SO many plugins and modifications that can be done.
Yeah, that's probably the best part about my Synology box as well. I have Sick Beard, CouchPotato, SABnzbd all installed and doing their thing. It's also a VPN server so I can punch through my firewall to get access to anything I need while out and about, and I have it running a DLNA server as well (though I barely even bother with it). Given it can run also a MySQL server, I'll probably be moving my XBMC install to it once XBMC 11.0 final is released.

Shaneus

Nice. The plugins really make it.
Pretty happy. Even better is that while looking for drives to match the four that I currently have (Hitachi 7K2000) I bought some external Hitachi Lifestyle (or some wank) external drives for $109 thinking they had that same model drive inside.

Wrong.

They actually had the next-series version in them, the 7K3000! So they match my old drives like a motherfucker, not to mention that the cheapest you can get them stand-alone is $155 or so. Bit stoked.

Yeah, that's probably the best part about my Synology box as well. I have Sick Beard, CouchPotato, SABnzbd all installed and doing their thing. It's also a VPN server so I can punch through my firewall to get access to anything I need while out and about, and I have it running a DLNA server as well (though I barely even bother with it). Given it can run also a MySQL server, I'll probably be moving my XBMC install to it once XBMC 11.0 final is released.
I have a feeling this can do most of those as well (except for maybe SQL) but I think once it's setup as my main downloader/media box, I'll leave it as that and keep the rest of my PCs clean from any crap. 12tb is a good number that should last me for a really long time.

Agyar

Kingdoms of Amamularlarur - good or bad?

I have been sinking every minute of my gaming time into Skyrim lately, so I haven't even played the demo (which I will, right after I do a few quests in Skyrim). This has also made me critical of wanting to buy it, as I don't know if going from one big RPG to another is really what I want right now.

That said, I like the look of the screenshots and it seems I can make a hot elf babe, so I am negotiable.

Pretty happy. Even better is that while looking for drives to match the four that I currently have (Hitachi 7K2000) I bought some external Hitachi Lifestyle (or some wank) external drives for $109 thinking they had that same model drive inside.

Wrong.

They actually had the next-series version in them, the 7K3000! So they match my old drives like a motherfucker, not to mention that the cheapest you can get them stand-alone is $155 or so. Bit stoked.

Score. I just wish internal hdd prices came down to external levels already, not a fan of losing warranty.

I'd love to get something like that one day, but that price tag is a bit high, and then there's the cost of HDDS atm..

The prices have improved, slightly. Still not back to last years prices though.

Bought 12 seasons of The Simpsons for $200. I regret nothing.

Nothing to regret. You can never have enough simpsons.

Axiom

KoA:R good game in a universe I couldn't be less interested in. I think it plays quite well but I've never played a dialogue heavy RPG in which I skipped dialogue this readily - even when I am all 'I should stop this' I have to fight to not skip over it.

Everyone keeps saying how derivative it is of LOTR and D&D but frankly it seems less interesting than either of those. It is like my brain is actively rejecting this universe like a foreign organ.

That said, it's still very much 'good' and your mileage with the writing and world may be quite different.

Attention SydGAF boardgamers!

I can make it after all :)

Couple of questions:

1. Is it still at Clippers?
2. Is it still at 10:30?
3. Why does my heart feel so bad?

I was going to get Season 3 - 9 but separately it was $350. I'll probably sell 1,2, 11, and 12. Not sure about 10 yet.

I tend to just let people buy me them for Christmas, they're usually $20-30 a season around that time of year instead of the ridiculous price you usually see otherwise. You got a decent deal.

My original plan was just to get up to season 10 because that made a nice round number, and was the last time I thought the show had more good episodes than bad ones. 11 and 12 still have some decent stuff, but it's there that the decline that starts around 9 really became a slide.

Picked up a 6 pack of Peroni and 4 pack of Monleith Pear in the end. And no Shane, I will not pay $8 for a Monleith A&P, I can't afford that kind of luxury! Maybe if I get a raise.

Ban you body rocked too hard.

Wrong.

I have a feeling this can do most of those as well (except for maybe SQL) but I think once it's setup as my main downloader/media box, I'll leave it as that and keep the rest of my PCs clean from any crap. 12tb is a good number that should last me for a really long time.
Do it play Uncharted on it?

Bought 12 seasons of The Simpsons for $200. I regret nothing.
Great decision. Even the lesser seasons of 1-2 and 10-12 are still miles ahead of most other tv series. Some of my favourite episodes are in those last 3 great seasons. Fell of a cliff in 13 though.

Black Caviar won her 18th race on the trot.

Freak.
I'm sure the last Grug post I saw in here was for win number 17. Is Ifran stalking you to post whenever Black Caviar runs?

You can. I can't decide if Darklord has just squeezed into that limit or just overstepped it, though.

I was waiting for that haha.

Yeah a year or two back I was able to grab a 2TB Spinpoint for 90$ I'm not gonna buy again till prices are comparable to that.

Same, I'm in no rush thankfully.

I was going to get Season 3 - 9 but separately it was $350. I'll probably sell 1,2, 11, and 12. Not sure about 10 yet.

There's still some decent episodes after season 9.

Shaneus

Picked up a 6 pack of Peroni and 4 pack of Monleith Pear in the end. And no Shane, I will not pay $8 for a Monleith A&P, I can't afford that kind of luxury! Maybe if I get a raise.
It was more so you could get a taste of it. Probably not a good thing if you actually like it.

Do it play Uncharted on it?
It can store screenshots of Uncharted on it. Good enough?

And no Shane, I will not pay $8 for a Monleith A&P, I can't afford that kind of luxury! Maybe if I get a raise.
Got one in the fridge. Planning on ingesting after we polish off this bottle of wine.

Shaneus' reputation is riding on this.

Secondapps is crap for multiple quotes.

Since putting all my stuff on my NAS I now just sleep my computer when not using it instead of having it and an old box running WHS 24/7. Much nicer.

Shaneus

Got one in the fridge. Planning on ingesting after we polish off this bottle of wine.

Shaneus' reputation is riding on this.

Secondapps is crap for multiple quotes.

Since putting all my stuff on my NAS I now just sleep my computer when not using it instead of having it and an old box running WHS 24/7. Much nicer.
Well, my theory was that RS didn't really love the apple, but he loved the pear. I figure the A&P would be a delicious combination of the two... for him, at least.

It was more so you could get a taste of it. Probably not a good thing if you actually like it.

It can store screenshots of Uncharted on it. Good enough?
Ah I will get around to it, just have to get a really warm day again to justify it.

Can it tweet screenshots of Uncharted?

Hey buying a TV in Sydney, what is the best option for around $600?
Keep an eye on OzBargain as they come up very often. Would be able to get a 50 inch full HD plasma for around $600.

The Naked Gun 2 is on GO! now. Still funny even to this day.
Such a great movie, too bad I have to go watch Anchorman now that Shaneus has brought it up. And me with no scotch! I am such an embarrassment to Ron.

They're up for adoption now, any one interested?
Do any of them die at the end?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Edit: Damn. Too slow.

Monteith's Apple and Pear is quite nice. Though it is very subtle the sweetness of the pear cuts through he tartness of the apple. I'm not usually a fan of really tart apple cider so it takes off the edge nicely. It's so subtle that the taste almost borders on bland. Easy to drink, would be like having lemonade on a hot day. Shaneus' rep is safe, for now.

Top Bottom