• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

All youse cunts should be watching Ninja Warrior on SBS2. It's soooooo good. Unbeatable Banzuke is next!

With the shit he did to her, he better hope the Ghostbusters still got his back
You'd hope so. It's such a shame, Whitney was too hot to handle, now she's definitely too cold to hold.

When it comes time to divide up her estate, I guess he's gonna have to take control.

Shaneus

Hm. A TV show with Chris Parnell in it. I might give it a crack.

There's also a REALLY cute redhead in it.

Oh wait, that's just my reflection in the TV.

Also, Alan Tudyk is in it.

Also also, new Archer. Only just hit the opening credits and already pissing myself. "Ow... I think"

THANKS DODGE!

Hey reptile... I don't remember loving Archer as much in the first season vs. this one. As a bigger fan than I, what's different b/w the first season and the second/third?

Rahk

Oh, when was the next D&D session? Might not be able to play all of this week, but you guys can continue if you want.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crab fisherman on Ninja Warrior owned.

Dead Man

Ran them over with his car because he was too busy texting?

Just saw this and thought of Death Jr:

rZdux.jpg

Shaneus

George Takei
That's the dude! And it was him.

I'm awesome at picking celebs who have guest roles in animated shows. Just no good at remembering their names... just race, acting history and sexuality.

Uuuugh, this RAID 5 migration thing is taking SO long. It's been at least three hours and it's at 8%. It's gonna be a while :(

Bernbaum

SydGAF Board Games wrapped up a short time ago. We all seemed to have a lot of fun, even though we only ended up playing two games and eating lunch. About 6 hours of stuff all up, so a good run. It likely shall happen again, although it seems the next time people are available is early March, unless some others want to join in on the fun.

Oh, and technically we didn't play any board games, but strategy card games are nearly the same thing (and my Munchkin set DOES include a board).

What games got played?

The best approach I think is to just have everyone show up with a bunch of games and no plan and see what you feel like playing on the spot. With our crew, there would only be like, 20% of games brought would actually get opened up.

March seems a bit late - try and have meet-ups more often. Doesn't matter if only two people show - that's enough for a game of anything.

I want SydBoardGAF to become a thing so whenever I'm in Sydney I can come and ruin games and shuffle the cards wrong and get olive oil on everything in front of a whole new bunch of fresh faces. Y'all should consider getting matching SydBoardGAF tattoos.

Bernbaum

Totally has the dog beak thing happening.

Hello Mar,

Do you enjoy thought-provoking discourse on video and computer games? You look like you enjoy thought-provoking discourse on video and computer games.

Please enjoy these recent articles on the state of gaming.

- David Jaffe weighs up the importance of storytelling in video games.
- Former baseball pitcher Curt Schilling talks about his work on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
- Newish tech blog The Verge gives the best technical run-down available on the PS Vita and makes a pretty good case for the validity of the platform.

Clipper

Oh, when was the next D&D session? Might not be able to play all of this week, but you guys can continue if you want.
Tomorrow night I think. Unless nobody can make it.

What games got played?
Munchkin and Citadels. One game each.

The best approach I think is to just have everyone show up with a bunch of games and no plan and see what you feel like playing on the spot. With our crew, there would only be like, 20% of games brought would actually get opened up.

March seems a bit late - try and have meet-ups more often. Doesn't matter if only two people show - that's enough for a game of anything.
I'm all for it, but almost everyone seemed busy for the next few weeks. Fortnightly or something would probably be good, but I doubt we've got enough people. SydGAF: prove me wrong (please).

I want SydBoardGAF to become a thing so whenever I'm in Sydney I can come and ruin games and shuffle the cards wrong and get olive oil on everything in front of a whole new bunch of fresh faces. Y'all should consider getting matching SydBoardGAF tattoos.
OK, now it's getting a bit weird...

Agyar

What games got played?

Dave bought 7 Wonders and we played that today. Game is really good. Also played Power Grid last weekend, that's really good too.

Bernbaum

Munchkin and Citadels. One game each.

Wow, Citadels usually plays in under an hour, regardless of participants and Munchkin is a pretty simple game too.

Had anyone played Citadels before? It's one of those games that's easy to learn but you really need to know the strengths of each of the available roles to be effective at it. You'll likely get a lot more out of it on subsequent plays when people are savvy on when to pick particular role cards.

Munchkin lacks strategy but can be fun distraction.

I eagerly await Pandemic-induced tears of eternal sadness.

Bernbaum

Dave bought 7 Wonders and we played that today. Game is really good. Also played Power Grid last weekend, that's really good too.

I miss Dave
's wife's boobs

Saw y'all playing Power Grid on twitter and 7 Wonders looks like just my kind of game.

Clipper

Wow, Citadels usually plays in under an hour, regardless of participants and Munchkin is a pretty simple game too.

Had anyone played Citadels before? It's one of those games that's easy to learn but you really need to know the strengths of each of the available roles to be effective at it. You'll likely get a lot more out of it on subsequent plays when people are savvy on when to pick particular role cards.

Munchkin lacks strategy but can be fun distraction.

The person who had played Citadels before kept getting the rules wrong (we would only find this out part-way due to certain buildings showing up or randomly reading a bit of text)...

But yeah, I chalk the length up to inexperience, plus there was a lot of banter. Plus, time just flew by. None of us could believe the time when we checked our watches after Munchkin to find it was 2:45. Then we did lunch, so Citadels probably only took us an hour and a half or so all up...

Danoss

I'm all for it, but almost everyone seemed busy for the next few weeks. Fortnightly or something would probably be good, but I doubt we've got enough people. SydGAF: prove me wrong (please).

I should have most Sundays available. Even if one or two others can make it, I think we can make something happen. However, if only myself and one other can make it, I have both Memoir '44 and Summoner Wars (should arrive tomorrow), which are 2-player games and are meant to be very good.

7 Wonders is on my list to buy, hopefully I can get my hands on a copy soon. I might grab the Leaders expansion too, so 5 people can play.

Power Grid is fantastic, there really is some strategy to it. After playing it once I could look at so many things I would have done differently once experiencing the complexity of the game. Even something as simple as a starting position can have a great effect on the beginning and end of a game, it's quite deep.

Soon Bernbaum, soon...

On the Brink expansion might be a good idea so 5 people can play too.

Shatter is an amazing game. The Steam cheevo challenge made a bad name for it as the bonus round is as hard as you would expect of it.

Hey reptile... I don't remember loving Archer as much in the first season vs. this one. As a bigger fan than I, what's different b/w the first season and the second/third?
Main draw is the running gags. The more time you spend with the characters the more you become accustomed to their nuances so you are already laughing before they say something because you know the kind of thing they are going to say.

Archer is really well developed, Adam Reed writes every episode so things are kept tight. I keep expecting it to drop into a lull but this season has been spot on so far.

The first season of a TV show (especially an animated comedy) suffers from forced production notes from the executives who agreed to put the thing on the air until it does well enough for them to focus on the next gap in their lineup. ATHF was a big example of this with the change in focus. Rather than focus on the troupes of being a spy agency the last season or so has been about the play between the loveable group of douchebags. The first episode of Season 2 is one of my least favourite episodes because the spy angle felt a little more forced than it usually is, most likely the studio wanted a spy heavy episode to push into advertisements as it is hard to advertise in-jokes and out of date catchphrases that only work in the context of the episode.

So saddle up, plenty of time left in the season!

Bernbaum

The person who had played Citadels before kept getting the rules wrong (we would only find this out part-way due to certain buildings showing up or randomly reading a bit of text)...

But yeah, I chalk the length up to inexperience, plus there was a lot of banter. Plus, time just flew by. None of us could believe the time when we checked our watches after Munchkin to find it was 2:45. Then we did lunch, so Citadels probably only took us an hour and a half or so all up...

Sounds like y'all are doing it right - fun is priority number one.

Thanks for the link. I've just been going through Curt's GAF posts. He's a straight talker, which is refreshing. His game is pretty good too.

What's his GAF moniker?

The game looks sensational, unfortunately time is a big constraint for me. The art style has elements of other well-established game series but manages to look unique. Nothing delivers a warm fuzzy tingle like diverse character model customization and KoA:R looks to have much more in that department than the Elder Scrolls games. Aint nothing like making your character your own. Not sure how valid the comparisons are to ES games but a good RPG is a good RPG.

Omikron

7 wonders is great, simple enough for newbies to enjoy, and a hint of strategy for the hardcore types. Also can be played in 30 mins if everyone sorts themselves out.

Also, the expansion is a must for it! Eagerly awaiting expansion 2.

Bernbaum

What a swell guy, thanks for the link.

Those big bloated PR-style OT threads are perhaps a bit unnecessary and overblown, but it must be a great feeling for industry folk like Schilling to come upon threads like this, completely fan-made, and see the enthusiasm from the gaming community for their product.

Can't help but appreciate his earnestness on issues with the demo. He argues that the demo shouldn't have been released in such a fashion and goes into bat for his game, which I hope is sincere and not marketing back-pedaling.

Fredescu

The final version seems pretty polished and bug free, so he was right in the end. I didn't see many bugs in the demo personally, but more than half of people started with a black screen unless they turned a certain graphics option off, so that was pretty bad. The demo generated crazy buzz regardless, so he's right when he says EA made the right call in releasing it.

Fredescu

That's the bug I'm talking about. All you have to do is turn off Post Processing in the graphics options. I think it happens to all ATI users.

Salazar

Liverpool Comedy Club finally give some ground.

Whipping the rug out from under millions of nutter fans in the process. Love it.

Can't wait for Suarez's next game, because he can't control himself.

Shaneus

What a swell guy, thanks for the link.

Those big bloated PR-style OT threads are perhaps a bit unnecessary and overblown, but it must be a great feeling for industry folk like Schilling to come upon threads like this, completely fan-made, and see the enthusiasm from the gaming community for their product.

Can't help but appreciate his earnestness on issues with the demo. He argues that the demo shouldn't have been released in such a fashion and goes into bat for his game, which I hope is sincere and not marketing back-pedaling.
Um, that guy is this guy. I had to look him up when he mentioned the baseball World Series rings. Reading his post, he sounds like one of the most perfectly balanced and down to earth guys in the industry. I'm pretty sure I'll buy that game on that mini-journal entry alone, despite not having played the demo.

Strangely enough, he actually sounds more like a gamer than a studio head... which doesn't happen often enough these days.

Edit: And Todd McFarlane is art director for his company? Shit.

Top Bottom