• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Clipper

So yeah, I sort of forgot to warn about AusGAF DnD tonight. Usual time of 7pm AEDT and all that. Post or PM me to let me know if you can or can't make it so we can definitely have enough numbers.

Stackboy

Had a pretty awesome time at Lansmash over the weekend. Went out for work drinks Friday night and got stuck into cheap Balmers. Got my hangover to the event mid morning, played lots of Soul Calibur 5 on Saturday and some Trackmania Canyon. After all the online comps were done Saturday night a bunch of us signed into our Battlefield 3 accounts on the online pc's and had a great time.

Then Sunday had some great laughs with Left 4 Dead, more Soul Calibur 5 and then a huge session of Trackmania Canyon in the afternoon.

LAN parties might be dying, but I still love them.

So the first volume of the hardcover collections of the original TMNT comics is kind of huge and amazing.

AlfQWNUCIAA2L9R.jpg

Couldn't find a combination of all four Turtles while quickly digging through my old stuff so some Power Rangers robots had to take on scale duties. Bottom right of both covers got a little scuffed in shipping, but it's not really worth sending it back and asking for a new one over.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So the first volume of the hardcover collections of the original TMNT comics is kind of huge and amazing.

[img/]https://p.twimg.com/AlfQWNUCIAA2L9R.jpg[/img]

Couldn't find a combination of all four Turtles while quickly digging through my old stuff so some Power Rangers robots had to take on scale duties. Bottom right of both covers got a little scuffed in shipping, but it's not really worth sending it back and asking for a new one over.

I've been thinking about buying that. It's all in black and white though and not colour which isn't a huge deal, But the colour ones from back in the day looked real nice.

Where did you get it from and how much?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Got it from Amazon for $31.17 (actually, might've been like thirty cents more when I ordered mine). Preorders for the second volume are only $29.08 over there at the moment, too.

The colourised art looked good but I don't mind that they used the original black and white stuff instead. I like it and think it kinda fits it more.

Awesome. I might just do the same thing then. Hopefully it turns up without any knicks along with the way.

If I earned enough money for the bandwidth, I'd love to make a skinnable version of the secondapps GAF mobile site.

Edit oh wait that is exactly what they're talking about in the thread. I wonder if ckohler would open source it on github or something.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If I earned enough money for the bandwidth, I'd love to make a skinnable version of the secondapps GAF mobile site.

Edit oh wait that is exactly what they're talking about in the thread. I wonder if ckohler would open source it on github or something.

I'm more surprised that gaf itself hasn't taken it. I'm sure you could set it up so it just redirects to say, m.neogaf.com when you're trying to view gaf on a mobile device. Keeps it all internal and safe.

Shaneus

Got it from Amazon for $31.17 (actually, might've been like thirty cents more when I ordered mine). Preorders for the second volume are only $29.08 over there at the moment, too.

The colourised art looked good but I don't mind that they used the original black and white stuff instead. I like it and think it kinda fits it more.
I still have one of the TMNT posters in the style of the comics that came out (I think?) when the movie was released. Or possibly when the cartoon made it big.
Fake edit: Pretty sure it's of this, without the writing. Their poses aren't how I remembered them (I could have a look, but can't be arsed) but the Shredder head, buildings and colours (I thought all their headbands were red though, I might be wrong) I think are exactly the same:
ZlQXf.jpg

It's actually pretty kickass and I guess doesn't look all that nerdy. If it's in decent enough condition, I might get it framed.

Real edit: I think it might actually be a combination of the artwork on the left of this (just the Turtles) and the above poster with the skyline and Shredder.

So. Video games. Turned out this past weekend was post apocalyptic shooter weekend.

The brief discussion on Metro 2033 prompted me to jump back in and give it another go. A few times I'd tried to run through a particular section early on
(shortly after Bourbon was captured)
and just couldn't get past. On Saturday I admitted defeat and proclaimed I was going to uninstall. Instead I returned to it after lunch, dropped the difficulty level, and on Sunday morning managed to finish the game.

Instead of simply being a game where you stand behind people, following them the whole time, it felt like the game was actually interested in telling a story, even if that means quiet moments or longer sections without combat. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it's one of the best told stories within the confines of a game that I've played. Most games tell their story through cutscenes or other non-interactive moments, whereas Metro 2033 makes you play through the story, warts and all. One of the more enjoyable sections for me was
in D6, restarting the reactor
, primarily because it allowed a lull in the action.

Sure, the enemies were bullet sponges, which was less of a problem once the difficulty was dumbed down, but still on the side of annoying. I'm glad I played through to the end, because I enjoyed the second half of the game a hell of a lot more than the first half. As long as Last Light doesn't make the same bullet sponge mistake, I'm in.

And now onto Rage. After two hours last week, I lost the will to play through at all, but given I'm on the clock with this one I thought I'd push further. The driving is still a colossal waste of resources and time, the biggest compliment I can give it is that it breaks up the game a little bit. The lack of any decent checkpointing system is frustrating on the 360 without some sort of quick save button. Every couple of minutes I have to remind myself to stop, go into the menu, and save. And it's so slow that I hate doing it, but I hate replaying the past 15 minutes even more.

The shooting feels 'right' -- though the shotgun is a little disappointing, especially from id -- and the ammo variations make things interesting (the
electric bolt for the crossbow and pop rockets for the shotgun
are particularly enjoyable).

The story is still virtually non-existant (I've done a few missions on the second disc) and really the only reason I'm driven to play is because the shooting is enjoyable and I want to see more interesting encounters where things are changed up a bit.

It's really hard to deny how pretty Rage is; it looks stellar and I frequently find myself smiling at small details like sunlight shining through the windows in
Grand Central station

Shaneus

Sure, the enemies were bullet sponges, which was less of a problem once the difficulty was dumbed down, but still on the side of annoying. I'm glad I played through to the end, because I enjoyed the second half of the game a hell of a lot more than the first half. As long as Last Light doesn't make the same bullet sponge mistake, I'm in.
I need to take this approach more often. If a game gets to a point where it's just too difficult, I think I'd rather kick it back a notch to at least take in the story rather than just have it sit there, incomplete.

I need to take this approach more often. If a game gets to a point where it's just too difficult, I think I'd rather kick it back a notch to at least take in the story rather than just have it sit there, incomplete.
Yeah, there was a time where I couldn't bring myself to do this, but a couple of years ago I realised that if I wasn't having fun with a game, lowering the difficulty was really only a problem for me. I never do it straight away but I'd rather enjoy a game than let it sit there.

It's not even about whether a game is too difficult. I finished Modern Warfare 3 on Veteran, and I think I enjoyed it less than I otherwise would have if I'd played on Normal or Hardened, because I was so focused on trying to play the game that I sort of ignored (what little of it there was) the story.

Rahk

Isn't there like a realism difficulty/mode where the enemies and yourself take less damage to die? You can still select easy, normal, hard etc with it turned on, I think?

Isn't there like a realism difficulty/mode where the enemies and yourself take less damage to die? You can still select easy, normal, hard etc with it turned on, I think?
Yeah, I was actually playing in Ranger Easy initially, so switched to 'regular' Easy. It may be that 'regular' Normal is still easier than Ranger Easy, but I just ended up playing through to the end that way as I was enjoying the game as it was.

jambo

Easy is definitely way easier than Ranger Easy. Ranger Hardcore has 1 hit kill pretty much all of the time, but it also disables the HUD.

Easy is definitely way easier than Ranger Easy. Ranger Hardcore has 1 hit kill pretty much all of the time, but it also disables the HUD.
Ah well, lesson learned. Should've maybe gone to Normal from Ranger Easy. Still, the point is that I enjoyed the game as a result.

More fun on Ranger though
Not for me. There was a section that I just couldn't get through no matter what I tried. Must've tried for about three hours on it over six months.

I love the shotty in RAGE as well, brilliant weapon. Feels so chunky.
Oh, it's good, no doubt. Love using it to shoot the mutants that run up to you in the face, but it doesn't feel as awesome as some past shotguns.

An increasing amount of my twitter and tumblr feeds are just made out of pure distilled rage. It's getting very annoying.

Unfollow those who you aren't getting productive tweets (or whatever you get out of tumblr other than hilarious animated gifs). Otherwise it is just eating up your very valuable time.

Quick q, was I supposed to get a shipping tracking number from ozgameshop? Because I want to obsessively check my games' progress.

Nope, they just send it regular old postage with no tracking. Never had one go missing so far but when they sent me the wrong keychain they just sent me the right one and I kept the extra.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
An increasing amount of my twitter and tumblr feeds are just made out of pure distilled rage. It's getting very annoying.

This is why I have Tweetbot, anyone on a rant gets muted for a day. If they keep going a week or more.

I don't tend to unfollow as people get whiny about it. Serious.

Fredescu

Constantly unfollowing people is the only way I can stay sane on Twitter. The stream gets too torrential otherwise.

I am jealous of your Tweetbot though Vook. Wish I could mute hashtags, especially when Q&A is on.

Shaneus

Do you like point and click adventures on the PC?

Do you like games made in Australia?

Then you should read this
I enjoyed the look of it, but the almost complete lack of animation on the characters seemed to clash with how clean the rest of the game looks. Even the earliest of Sierra games had animation that was fluid in comparison to the amount of detail in the game. I'm afraid that it would be too jarring while playing for me to enjoy it :(

Rahk

So yeah, I sort of forgot to warn about AusGAF DnD tonight. Usual time of 7pm AEDT and all that. Post or PM me to let me know if you can or can't make it so we can definitely have enough numbers.
As mentioned yesterday I won't be around until Saturday. You'll have to come up with another method of killing Milky!

Omikron

Constantly unfollowing people is the only way I can stay sane on Twitter. The stream gets too torrential otherwise.

I am jealous of your Tweetbot though Vook. Wish I could mute hashtags, especially when Q&A is on.

Why the hell is Hildebrand constantly getting his tweets on screen? #QandA

VOOK

Oh I have the #qanda tag on permanent mute.

My tip for keeping your feeds clean is to have more than one account. I have my @VOOK64 account for general talking and asking questions and stuff but I also have my sites @vooksdotnet one for not only pumping out our news but I follow all the gaming sites, RSS feeds and all that through there. Keeps my main feed clean of all bull crap.

I also turn off viewable retweets from contant offenders of retweeting shit.

The other day people were bitching about Twitter changing its design, I'm like... oh the Twitter website.

Jezabel

i fucking hate Q&A tweet stream. its all ABC "comedians" trying to make jokes and show everyone how intellectual they are

Shaneus

Oh I have the #qanda tag on permanent mute.

My tip for keeping your feeds clean is to have more than one account. I have my @VOOK64 account for general talking and asking questions and stuff but I also have my sites @vooksdotnet one for not only pumping out our news but I follow all the gaming sites, RSS feeds and all that through there. Keeps my main feed clean of all bull crap.

I also turn off viewable retweets from contant offenders of retweeting shit.

The other day people were bitching about Twitter changing its design, I'm like... oh the Twitter website.
Aren't there "lists" or something in Tweetbot? I read something about it, think I actually asked someone somewhere but never got a response :/

Twidroid became Twidroyd became some other rubbish. TweetDeck (which I use) hasn't had any develop for about a year. Plume is alright but I find it ugly (use it on the tablet). The official Twitter app is rubbish.

Pinning all my hopes on Carbon for Android since there's nothing else really good out there.

Omikron

Twidroid became Twidroyd became some other rubbish. TweetDeck (which I use) hasn't had any develop for about a year. Plume is alright but I find it ugly (use it on the tablet). The official Twitter app is rubbish.

Pinning all my hopes on Carbon for Android since there's nothing else really good out there.

I use plume, as stated on twitter when we were hassling Shaneus for having an iPhone. :)

Ugliness is sort of overcome by usability for me with plume.

Ugliness is sort of overcome by usability for me with plume.
The other thing I find annoying is that you can't make columns of lists. I only need two, but Plume displays searches, people, lists, everything in the one column which is no use for me.

VOOK

Aren't there "lists" or something in Tweetbot? I read something about it, think I actually asked someone somewhere but never got a response :/

It does, but that means I actually have to go through 300 people and put them into groups. Then if some people from one list talk to another, I have to swap lists. Ugh.

But yeah you can do it, it supports it right on the main screen.

Omikron

The other thing I find annoying is that you can't make columns of lists. I only need two, but Plume displays searches, people, lists, everything in the one column which is no use for me.

It lets you view 1 list at a time in your 'search' column. Would be nice if you could just add custom columns matched to a list or search and that would be pretty much perfect.

Top Bottom