• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Cohsae

Next up is Aliens, then Blade Runner.

Going through my movies I need to watch list, obviously.

Aliens is great, and an excellent example of a sequel done well. In the same universe, still about Ripley, still about the Xenomorphs, but is entirely it's own film.

Also today I was at the videogam store and I wasn't sure if I should buy Rayman Origins or Donkey Kong Country Returns. And I couldn't get to GAF on my phone so I bought Rayman. Did I do good? Haven't played it yet, as I also bought a Motion Plus so I could play Skyward Sword. Just made it to the surface, loving it.

Also today I was at the videogam store and I wasn't sure if I should buy Rayman Origins or Donkey Kong Country Returns. And I couldn't get to GAF on my phone so I bought Rayman. Did I do good? Haven't played it yet, as I also bought a Motion Plus so I could play Skyward Sword. Just made it to the surface, loving it.
You did very, very well. One of my top games of last year. I hope you don't mind (in the latter 1/5 of the game) punishing platformers.

Also, DK Returns would have also been a good choice.

Rayman Origins deserves more sales so yes, you did do good. Get more than one person on the console with you are it will be a blast, not to say that SP isn't great too.

Omikron

So I am an hour into Alice Madness Returns, so far it is pretty much American Mcgee's Alice Part 2 and I am fine with that. It isn't anything revolutionary other than it does look pretty nice and the art style I enjoy.

But fuck me there are some annoying glitches in the game.

This visual one is amusing and rather irritating to say the least, it made me quit at this point: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/487750082582798858/49B92DA196B019BFB2FBCC34FDEF375E4A2C96A2/

The controls are kinda laggy and shit, the clipping in the game is poor and the 5 sec pauses when in the middle of a jump is damaging.

Bro, 16:9 is much more cinematic an aspect ratio. Get with the times.

I see what you mean. You green or red team? I didn't come across many glitches aside from texture pop in and the odd clipping. No patches out?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What's the list? We could do an AusGAF watches, at least for stuff not everyone has seen...

In no order

Alien
Aliens
Blade Runner
Moon
Seven (I've actually ticked this off, I went on a Fincher binge recently, bought everything post-Alien 3 and watched them all, so good)
Thin Red Line
Darren Aronovsky's stuff (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler)
Godfather I and II (and maaaaybe III)
Clockwork Orange (and more Kubrick stuff in general)

That's an incomplete list. I kind of want to rewatch the original Star Wars trilogy and LOTR again, too. I've seen Terminator 2, but I really need to watch that again too. Edit: ending sentences with again, too -- again, too.

Recommend me more stuff and I'll add them.

Alien
Aliens
Blade Runner
Moon
Seven (I've actually ticked this off, I went on a Fincher binge recently, bought everything post-Alien 3 and watched them all, so good)
Thin Red Line

That's an incomplete list. I kind of want to rewatch the original Star Wars trilogy and LOTR again, too. I've seen Terminator 2, but I really need to watch that again too.

I've be meaning to watch Moon, mainly because of the kickarse Clint Mansell score. Similarly, his score is the main reason I love The Fountain.

My best recommendation for watching The Fountain is to go in with the knowledge that it was meant to have a much, much larger budget and had to be considerably made cheaper at the last moment.

Also, Sharktopus. Oh my god. Sharktopus. Everybody owes it to themselves to watch Sharktopus.

In no order

Alien
Aliens
Blade Runner
Moon
Thin Red Line

That's an incomplete list. I kind of want to rewatch the original Star Wars trilogy and LOTR again, too.

Since you mention Kubrick, Full Metal Jacket and, obviously, The Shining.

Apocalypse Now (haven't seen that in its entirety myself), Platoon, The Big Lebowski, Brazil, Fistful of Dollars (personally prefer this to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly), Taxi Driver, Fight Club, Butch Cassidy, Easy Rider, American Graffiti, Scarface, The Godfather, The Sting, My Neighbour Totoro, Spartacus... Probably missing a bunch more.

Edit: Oh yeah, Close Encounters, District 9, 2001 (really should watch this), Forbidden Planet (just to see Leslie Nielsen when he was playing serious roles!), Planet of the Apes...

Moon is incredible.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bookmarking this page.

Great recommendations all round.

I actually watched Moon today as well and loved it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Will agree with Cods on close encounters.

I couldn't get through moon, It was just boring as shit. However that could have been the mood I was in. It seemed like a film where I needed to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it. I will attempt to watch it again one day in the future.

Cohsae

So I'm looking into this Dolphin business, as my TV seems to be crapping itself. Apparently I need a bluetooth dongle and a wireless sensor bar? Anyone got any recommendations on some decent options?

I couldn't get through moon, It was just boring as shit. However that could have been the mood I was in.
Yeah, I think that's the thing about hard sci fi, you have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Hmm, should we add more recent stuff like Reservoir Dogs, The Matrix, Children of Men, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Zombieland, Fifth Element to the list? Some of these seem obvious to me, but I'm getting old.

Jintor

Yeah, I think that's the thing about hard sci fi, you have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Hmm, should we add more recent stuff like Reservoir Dogs, The Matrix, Children of Men, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Zombieland, Fifth Element to the list? Some of these seem obvious to me, but I'm getting old.

We can just start seperating by era or something.

Someone get a google doc going

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I like bouncing around between eras and genres. Granted, I've seen basically all of the post-2000 movies listed.

Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead have to be two of my favourite comedies of all time.

guidop

400 blows, The Third man, 12 angry men, On the waterfront, A touch of evil, the films of Alfred Hitchcock, the films fo David Lean, the films of David Lynch, The films of Martin Scorsese. Though on top of any film list should always be Seven Samurai, you are a lesser person if you have not seen this movie

Shaneus

Last Friday for me: $1400 Wisdom Teeth; $690 Car Insurance; $250 Electricity; $340 Rates.

BAM!

Edit: Shaneus, you usually get moist over cheap iTunes cards, don't you? DSE has an online special for today only: $100 cards for $75.
I'm still working through my buy 2 get 1 free from Good Guys last year when I spent $200 and got $300 of cards :)

Oh, I had the wisdom tooth thing done last year, too. Just one, but a bunch of other stuff and the total was around a grand. Spending exorbitant amounts of cash on dental worth is SO last year. And paid my insurance about a fortnight ago as well.

Thankfully, getting (monthly) paid tomorrow :D

Kritz

Banned
OFFBEAT COMEDIES THAT I THINK ARE REAL GOOD BUT I'M A CRAZY PERSON WHAAA

Little Miss Sunshine - 1 hour and 20 minutes of waiting, 10 minutes of punchline.
Love Exposure - warning: crazy level maximum. It's also four hours long. Don't watch this.
The Guard (2011) - Racist irish black comedy about a fat police man. Not actually that racist.
Super - Mentally ill man kills people and has sex with a teenager.
A Clockwork Orange - Otherwise ordinary British teenagers get in trouble with the law, listens to music.
In Bruges - Sequel to The Guard.
La Vita e Bella - Schindler's List from the perspective of a Jewish man.

To name a few. Also, I suppose, all of Tarantino's work and most of Kubrick's. And Monty Python's something something.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I thought it was crap but looked visually great for the era. And for that matter, Blade Runner isn't that good either but again, visually good looking.

I love 2001 mostly because of the visuals and use of audio / music. It was just a feast for your eyes and ears, even though the movie was just s big wtf.

I agree about blade runner. I've watched it a few times due to everyone always saying how great it is, it just didn't end up doing much for me.

Omikron

Films? Some suggestions I haven't seen as yet.

Das Boot - Epic WW2 submarine film. German so has subtitles, but everyone should see this.
The Counterfeiters - Also German language film about Operation Bernhard, basically Germany using concentration camp labour to produce counterfeit bank notes.
Catfish - Documentary about a guy and his relationship with a girl via Facebook. Just watch it. I won't spoil.

Shall no doubt add more later.

Stackboy

I'm keen to pick Twisted Metal up, but I'm with you entirely. SSX will be getting all of my attention during that time :D

Twisted Metal is a staple of PS gaming for me...long overdue hahaha, hopefully the online is still pumping when I do decide to check it out later in the year.

You playing SSX on PS3 or 360? If 360 let me know and I'll add you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Woken up by my housemates having an audible discussion about me out the front of my fucking door.

Wooonderful.

Clipper

Just as a warning to any Aussies backing the Double Fine Kick Starter, don't forget that you need to pledge $110 if you want the poster to actually ship.

I think they may have changed the wording as I think before it said that shipping would cost $10 but they didn't say how to pay it. In any case, now it says to increase the pledge by $10 for international shipping, which I just did.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh. I thought it was another $10 later on down the track when the posters were going to ship out. If you didn't want the poster then don't spend the extra $10.

Guess I will need to pump it up if that's the case.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just as a warning to any Aussies backing the Double Fine Kick Starter, don't forget that you need to pledge $110 if you want the poster to actually ship.

I think they may have changed the wording as I think before it said that shipping would cost $10 but they didn't say how to pay it. In any case, now it says to increase the pledge by $10 for international shipping, which I just did.

Yikes, thanks, I'd have forgotten.

Top Bottom