• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So the next question is how I'm going to go about watching all of these. I kind of like the idea alternating between renting them from iTunes and watching them on my iPad in bed and buying them on the cheap at work. That said, I don't really want more DVDs taking up space in my house and I'm not sure if iTunes is ripping me off or not.

Do we have some sort of Netflix equivalent here?

Card Boy

Banned
Is hotmail/live mail down for anyone else? It seems my 72 day password expiry seems to happen every-time hotmail/live mail is down.

Kritz

Banned
Is hotmail/live mail down for anyone else? It seems my 72 day password expiry seems to happen every-time hotmail/live mail is down.

You use hotmail and then say we have bad taste?

whaaaaaat

(also, while Firefly, Curb, AD, Seinfeld and The Who are decent shows, none of them are better than The Wire, even in The Wire's weakest season)

Card Boy

Banned
You use hotmail and then say we have bad taste?

whaaaaaat

(also, while Firefly, Curb, AD, Seinfeld and The Who are decent shows, none of them are better than The Wire, even in The Wire's weakest season)

I've had my hotmail address for like 15 years man (maybe 13). Not going to change it.

So the next question is how I'm going to go about watching all of these. I kind of like the idea alternating between renting them from iTunes and watching them on my iPad in bed and buying them on the cheap at work. That said, I don't really want more DVDs taking up space in my house and I'm not sure if iTunes is ripping me off or not.

Do we have some sort of Netflix equivalent here?

http://www.quickflix.com.au/

i think there's others too just can't recall their names.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I still have a hotmail account that i use daily. It's my "shit goes here" account. Although I already have about 3 of those for gmail as well.

Also those in their 30s just want to snog the early 20s, Going by that video game valentines day article vook posted. I'm sure none of them actually want love!
Why am i not going to that event :(

Gazunta

I can't say enough nice things about this article.
1517604-old_snake_salute_1280x720_super.jpg

AusGaf doesn't have taste. American Pickers is a top quality show.
There is nothing wrong with American Pickers as a show. But it is what it is. A reality show about two guys who buy assorted junk. It has no script. It has no character development. It's not even the best reality TV show let alone one of the best television shows.

I really enjoyed what I've seen of the Sopranos (I'm currently midway through series five), but in a lot of ways it feels like a "first step" show. The lessons people learnt from it in shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire and Mad Men are invaluable, but it isn't something I'd consider quite at the same level as those three.

I haven't seen heaps of Mad Men or Breaking Bad, so I'm happy to be proven completely wrong by those shows. But the way the Sopranos told the stories and developed the characters is the best I've seen including a shit load of movies.

I'm trying to think of a way of explaining it. Even supporting characters in the Sopranos were treated as real people that faced obstacles and challenges. The relationships between the characters, especially the members of the Soprano family itself, were amazing. The character of Tony himself could be the most fleshed out television character of all time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Totally. I think it's writing on a level far above MUCH of the fiction I've seen before. But the qualities you're high-lighting there are the very same qualities that The Wire, Mad Men and (to a lesser extent, it's a bit different in overall style) Breaking Bad also completely own.

But hey, the Sopranos is a damn fine show, it doesn't bother me seeing at the top of people's lists.

jambo

Just caught the monorail to Pitt St mall from the Powerhouse Museum where I saw the Harry Potter exhibit. Bought a wand >_>

Also, Sydney weather is weird.

MrSerrels

Totally. I think it's writing on a level far above MUCH of the fiction I've seen before. But the qualities you're high-lighting there are the very same qualities that The Wire, Mad Men and (to a lesser extent, it's a bit different in overall style) Breaking Bad also completely own.

But hey, the Sopranos is a damn fine show, it doesn't bother me seeing at the top of people's lists.

I totally agree with you -- I'm loving The Sopranos (about halfway through season 4) but I agree that it feels like this breakthrough thing: treating the TV show like a fleshed out, fully realised piece of fiction. But The Wire and Mad Men for me managed to take that concept to a new level -- particularly The Wire.

Mad Men sparkles more from episode to episode, just because the writing is so polished (Mad Men is my favourite of the three) but The Wire just has that sprawling feel and a universe that is just completely next level.

I do love the way The Sopranos uses mad fucked up symbolism throughout the whole thing, but I feel like the Psychology side of things has dated a little, and makes it seem too much like a product of its time.

But yeah, fucking love all three shows to death.

Also -- we should totally talk about Deadwood.

OFFBEAT COMEDIES THAT I THINK ARE REAL GOOD BUT I'M A CRAZY PERSON WHAAA

Little Miss Sunshine - 1 hour and 20 minutes of waiting, 10 minutes of punchline.
Love Exposure - warning: crazy level maximum. It's also four hours long. Don't watch this.
The Guard (2011) - Racist irish black comedy about a fat police man. Not actually that racist.
Super - Mentally ill man kills people and has sex with a teenager.
A Clockwork Orange - Otherwise ordinary British teenagers get in trouble with the law, listens to music.
In Bruges - Sequel to The Guard.
La Vita e Bella - Schindler's List from the perspective of a Jewish man.

To name a few. Also, I suppose, all of Tarantino's work and most of Kubrick's. And Monty Python's something something.

Love Exposure is awesome. blew my mind.
Although the second time I tried to watch it I didn't make it through and didn't feel as enthralled with it.

The Guard and In Bruges are hilarious and great dark comedies. Any more suggestions in a similar vein?

oipic

Homeland season 1 should be watched.

Definitely! It's tense, nicely paced and tightly scripted, but the performances from Mandy Patinkin (and his beard), Damian Lewis and Claire Danes in particular are possibly the highlight. Top-notch TV, this.

Jintor

Just caught the monorail to Pitt St mall from the Powerhouse Museum where I saw the Harry Potter exhibit. Bought a wand >_>

Also, Sydney weather is weird.

I was with someone down at Darling Harbour watching the sun disappear behind the clouds kind of but not really, and then it started dribbling on us.

Jintor

Magic 8 Ball says ask again later

I didn't ask, still thinking about some stuff right now. Gave her a card I made though

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VAAAAAALEEEEEEENTIIIIIIIIIIIIIINES

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

FUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

*masturbates*

Shaneus

Still too goofy for me. Tried to watch some the other night and just felt like they were talking down to me. The one that aired on channel 10 was slightly better.
The one that aired on channel 9 was even better still!
THE ZONE 4 LYFE

Everyone should watch Mr Show.
While we're on poorly-dated 90s American sketch shows, everyone should check out The Ben Stiller Show. If you were around during the era, it's actually held up surprisingly well... as in, the jokes are still funny (ie. they haven't dated, just the fashion has) but you have to get the references. Also, Janeane Garofalo and Bob Odenkirk are in it. So is Andy Dick, but he's not as annoying as he usually is.

Otara Millionaires Club 4 lyfe
Which, as it turns out, was only until 2010 :(

Gazunta

Guys.

Guys.

It's great and all that you're having fun talking about TV shows and masturbation, I'm not going to criticize.

But.

Everyone here - everyone - needs to stop what they're doing, right now.

And read this article.

It's mandatory reading. There'll be a test on it later.

Yes, I mean you.

Get to it.

All done?

How fucking great was that, seriously.

Article was good, only criticism I have is that publishers are the ones with the money, so in some part they are still needed in the industry. Given that they're funding the games, they (right or wrong, mostly wrong) feel they have the right to demand changes.

That's the biggest part of the industry that needs to change, but Kickstarter and indie games aren't going to produce those AAA games that everyone fawns over.

Kritz

Banned
This is the AusGAF IRC Channel (Web version)
http://webchat.gamesurge.net/?channels=AusGAF

It now has relatively full integration with Steam Chat.

Features:

Anyone in IRC can communicate to the AusGAF Steam chat.
Anyone in AusGAF Steam chat can communicate to the IRC.
/me command is supported from the IRC side going to the Steam side. It doesn't work the other way.
Joining and Leaving notices appear from both clients.

Todo:

Make it so you can call a userlist from the opposite chatroom so you know who's online.

Shaneus

Hey guys.

Sickbeard is really fucking awesome. It makes being organised out of the disorganised piss-easy. Especially for someone as OCD-lazy as I.

shot_1329205716114mty3p.jpg

HAPPY NOW SHANE? NOW I CAN'T BY SHOES FOR MY KID AFTER LASHING OUT ON THIS EXTRAVAGANT PURCHASE

Who cares, he can walk around barefoot through the snow to school like we did back in the day and told horses to fuck off because we didn't need no ride to school, oh no, we walked that shit out

Tastes like a nice middle ground between the two. Mellows out the apple taste but ends up being pretty bland which isn't a good thing when you are paying $7 a bottle for it at your local Safeway, run (don't walk) to your nearest Safeway to jump on board the A&P train!

Also picked up 2x 4packs of Monleith's Pear cider for $22 which was a decent deal on a beautiful day like this.
Speaking of which we went down the beach after work to soak up some sun and tire the munchkin out.

Not too worried about that damn Global Warming hitting us any time soon as our good friend Seaweed has built up some levies for us. Thanks Seaweed!

shot_13291984087510yx0c.jpg

Thankfully tourist season is over because it STINKS down there. No chance of getting me for a swim out there.

Since it is fancy ladies day we grabbed inferior Asian food Thai tonight. Turns out it is pretty damn good, I have had it a few times before and never really liked it. Must have made some bad choices. Pad Thai Chicken, Green Curry Chicken & Coconut rice. Yum yum, will eat again. Still prefer Chinese and Japanese though.

A work colleague just sent me this. I am really not sure what he is trying to say.

151221.strip.gif
Depends on what else he said in the email. I wouldn't take it kindly though if you had a meeting recently where you said more than; hello, yes, sorry, bye.

Don't forget the auto-download with usenet! :D
What is this usenet magic you guys talk about? Can a moron like me use it? Can a cheapskate like me use it for free?

Deeku

What are you guys downloading? =D
A valentine.

Since it is fancy ladies day we grabbed inferior Asian food Thai tonight. Turns out it is pretty damn good, I have had it a few times before and never really liked it. Must have made some bad choices. Pad Thai Chicken, Green Curry Chicken & Coconut rice. Yum yum, will eat again. Still prefer Chinese and Japanese though.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Thai either. Might be because most dishes have some form of sweetness to it, so to me they all taste pretty similar. Most places butcher the curries too by adding waaay too much coconut milk.

Top Bottom