• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Stackboy

So previous years I dismissed the ABC tv show Good Game as a pandering rubbish instalment to try to reach people that don't usually connect with this kind of stuff. But last year I watched every episode and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to it coming back tonight.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So My movie watching for the year is about decided. My list is now:

3:10 To Yuma
2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
Aliens
American Graffiti
Apocalypse Now
Big Lebowski, The
Blade Runner
Blazing Saddles
Blues Brothers
Brazil
Bullet
Butch Cassidy
Catfish
City of God
Clockwork Orange
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Counterfeiters, The
Das Boot
Delicatessen 
Downfall
Dr Strangelove
Easy Rider
Fargo
Fifth Element
Fistful of Dollars Trilogy
Fountain, The
Full Metal Jacket
Grave of the Fireflies
Great Dictator, The
Godfather I
Godfather II
Gone With the Wind
Miller's Crossing
Moon
Pi
Platoon
Requiem for a Dream
Reservoir Dogs
Saving Private Ryan
Schindlers List
Seven
Seven Samurai
Spaceballs
Spartacus
Taxi Driver
Terminator 2
Thin Red Line
Usual Suspects, The
White Ribbon, The
Wrestler, The

If something you listed isn't here, I've already seen it or overlooked it.

Omikron

That really is a pretty great list of films.

Edit: Marieke Hardy tweeting Valentines Day messages from the Herald Sun is amusing.

Some samples.

Marieke Hardy @mariekehardy

'DANIEL MASTY - My body is ready. Pepper my Angus.' Oh for the love of all that is good and holy.

'BLAKE! MY FIANCE! Lyf is amzn wifu & i wudnt hav it ne oda wy! cnt wt 2mariU!' FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE BREED.

'Sorry I cldnt get u brkfst in bed I had 2 go 2 work instead. I cn give u somethin small hard & pink, a strawberry lollipop under the sink!'

r1chard

So previous years I dismissed the ABC tv show Good Game as a pandering rubbish instalment to try to reach people that don't usually connect with this kind of stuff. But last year I watched every episode and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to it coming back tonight.

Yep I watch it semi-regularly now too. My daughter really gets into Spawn Point as well. They do a good job.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Should we add in spaceballs, blazing saddles, Bullet (mostly for the car!). Ronin, For the car as well. The usual suspects.

Although i'm sure rez has seen both space and blazing, He must have....

I'm trying to think of older films that he may have missed, From like the 60s/70s and 80s. I've gone blank though.

The blues Brothers? I mean, He HAS to have seen that. If he hasn't, I will go down to JB, slap him across the face and be all like. Mother fucker, What is wrong with you!
It's like one of the best comedies and musicals all in one.

Clipper

Seems like we all thought the extra $10 would be a payment later on down the line. I'm going to go looking for the original pledge text to see if it used to say something different as I can't believe we all missed out on that bit...

Edit: Yeah, this seems to be the original text:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/02/13/graphing-double-fines-kickstarter-adventure-at-1-6-million/ said:
PLEDGE $100 OR MORE
Original “Double Fine Adventure” poster (suitable for framing) exclusive to the campaign, special thanks in the game’s credits, and all previous reward tiers. (posters will be shipped for free in the US, and for $10 internationally)
and the new text is:
Current Double Fine Adventure KickStarter project page said:
Pledge $100 or more
Original "Double Fine Adventure" poster (suitable for framing) exclusive to the campaign, special thanks in the game’s credits, and all previous reward tiers. (Posters will be shipped for free in the US. Please add an additional $10 to your pledge for international shipping)

I suspect they'll probably e-mail international backers choosing that reward closer to the cutoff date to make this clear.

Omikron

Seems like we all thought the extra $10 would be a payment later on down the line. I'm going to go looking for the original pledge text to see if it used to say something different as I can't believe we all missed out on that bit...

I saw the $10 bit, just assumed it ws to be paid later. Mistake clearly.

Bernbaum

REZ'S LIST

If something you listed isn't here, I've already seen it or overlooked it.

Watch the Aronofsky films in the order he made them.

Would it be right to assume that you haven't seen any of those films before?

Yes! Nice one. I've already seen a bunch of their movies, but I really need to add Fargo to that list.

The Coen Brother's indescribably excellent 'Miller's Crossing' features a gay jewish antagonist by the name of Bernie Bernbaum and features a variety of hats and hat-based imagery.

Shaneus

Hey AusGAF:
OkAou.png

:D

Edit: Marieke Hardy tweeting Valentines Day messages from the Herald Sun is amusing.

Some samples.
That woman spelled "waifu" wrong.

Also, Eternal Sunshine hasn't been mentioned.

Hey AusGAF:
:(

I've got 3x3TB disks in my NAS, and want to add a further two more, but they're so damned expensive. Tried adding 2x2TB ones but it won't add them to the same array because they're smaller (I'm using a hybrid RAID so they don't need to be identical disks).

Edit: Actually they've come down a little bit -- I paid $179 for a 3TB disk in October and the same ones are $215 now. Still pricey, but not as awful as it was.

Shaneus

:(

I've got 3x3TB disks in my NAS, and want to add a further two more, but they're so damned expensive. Tried adding 2x2TB ones but it won't add them to the same array because they're smaller (I'm using a hybrid RAID so they don't need to be identical disks).

Edit: Actually they've come down a little bit -- I paid $179 for a 3TB disk in October and the same ones are $215 now. Still pricey, but not as awful as it was.
Yeah, 3TB is still way too expensive. I was lucky in that my initial RAID 5 was the lower 4 disks so I bought some (what I thought were) old Hitachi external USB drives to gut them, but it turns out they're actually the newer 7K3000 series, not 7K2000 as I originally thought (and used previously). $50 cheaper than buying them individually, too!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mine is just my little microserver currently running unraid on it. There's 3x3TB in there but 1 is a parity drive.

I don't think I will need that much more space. I still have 3TB free? Should last me a good while.

Shaneus

I am super jelly of Shaneus and his NAS.
Nothing to be jealous about! Despite saving literally a few hundo on it (paid ~$650, cheapest new is ~$1100) it still cost me an absolute shitload considering it's really only used for storing data. Will have a tinker with the software modules today (sick, at home) which is where it'll come into it's own, but still... it's the price of a halfway decent PC :/

But now I have it, it should mean the end of the upgrade cycle of storage. From now on, will only ever need a decent SSD for the OS, decent (but not necessarily big) 3.5" for games and the NAS for the rest.

BTW NAZZZZZZZZ. :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
But now I have it, it should mean the end of the upgrade cycle of storage. From now on, will only ever need a decent SSD for the OS, decent (but not necessarily big) 3.5" for games and the NAS for the rest.

BTW NAZZZZZZZZ. :p

That's exactly how my setup is now. Gaming rig only has an ssd and a games drive. It's off 21hrs of the day instead of being on for 24hrs every day. The Server is on 24/7 just because I haven't figured out how to correctly get it going yet :D, But i do sleep the hard drives so it brings the power down to 35w for i guess 22hrs a day, Which is better than the 90 my gaming rig used.

I know it's a bit of a no no to sleep hard drives but so far I haven't had any issues.

Wow at that list. It's pretty darn good and Clive below me has throw out some more (i love me some Airplane). It's almost like you have never watched a film outside of anything Pixar has done :D

You are in for a damn good treat though this year. Hopefully you enjoy all if not the majority of them.

Some more suggestions for films: (probably a few repeats or 'already seen its')
Airplane (Flying High)
Kentucky Fried Movie
Top Secret
Long Good Friday
Magnificent Seven
The Great Escape
The Dambusters
Harry Brown
Road to Perdition
Galaxy Quest
Casablanca
Munich
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge on the River Kwai
The French Connection
King of Comedy
The Departed
Saturday Night Fever
Carrie
Untouchables
every motherfucking james bond, star wars, indiana jones, star trek, LotR, Pixar movie (good and bad)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you haven't see The Wire, add it to the TV section.

The Wire is the best thing in the world.

I'm trying to keep my tv section small. It's a much bigger commitment. But yeah, open to more tv suggestions too.

BCCI don't like something? SHOCK!

Just as a warning to any Aussies backing the Double Fine Kick Starter, don't forget that you need to pledge $110 if you want the poster to actually ship.

I think they may have changed the wording as I think before it said that shipping would cost $10 but they didn't say how to pay it. In any case, now it says to increase the pledge by $10 for international shipping, which I just did.
Oh shit, thanks mate. Wouldn't have picked that up as I also assumed they would automatically charge the extra $10 when the fund transfers

Still too goofy for me. Tried to watch some the other night and just felt like they were talking down to me. The one that aired on channel 10 was slightly better.

That will be an orgasmic experience to watch all those movies this year.

Also throw in The Colour Purple as its appearance on TV the other night reminded me how well made it is.

The Coen Brother's indescribably excellent 'Miller's Crossing' features a gay jewish antagonist by the name of Bernie Bernbaum and features a variety of hats and hat-based imagery.
I had no idea you were Jewish, the more you know.

The Wire is the best thing in the world.

I'm trying to keep my tv section small. It's a much bigger commitment. But yeah, open to more tv suggestions too.
Can't check at work but I hope Twin Peaks is on there. Also Archer.

hamchan

The Wire is better than Breaking Bad right now because The Wire has 5 amazing seasons while Breaking Bad only has 4 amazing seasons.

Stackboy

The Wire>>every other show made or going to be made in the future

The Wire puts every other cop/crime show to shame.

I'm watching Sons of Anarchy and The Pacific at the moment. Both passable shows. Also following Alcatraz. Is Homeland worth starting?

Oh and I love Fringe. Can't wait till Community comes back either. TV SHOWS HUH!

Agreed. I used to think it was pretty crap but I enjoyed the episodes I saw last year. They often weren't afraid to say a game was shit, or to have an opinion of a game different than what was popular.

Hahaha, people who haven't seen the Sopranos are hilarious aren't they? (The Wire is good, but not Sopranos good)

Oh, also X-Files! Has some weak episodes though.

Yeah definitely a watcher. I actually never finished it. I'd put them all on a hard drive, got about half way through and dropped it. Now I have no idea where I was up to. Should definitely get back into it.

I'd add more to the list but I think you guys have it covered.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot of movies, it's just most of it is stuff released during the 00s and after (I'm 20). There are some gaping holes in stuff I need to watch, obviously. Heh.

I'll update the list properly soon. It was meant to be a "movies I'll watch in 2012" list, but at this rate it's going to go on longer than that, which is fine. It's nice to have it all compiled.

hamchan

Everyone should try doing that 50 movies 50 books in a year challenge. At the rate I'm going I'll finish the 50 books but won't even touch the 50 movies.

Rezbit

Everyone should try doing that 50 movies 50 books in a year challenge. At the rate I'm going I'll finish the 50 books but won't even touch the 50 movies.

No where near either at the moment! My reading ebbs and flows, I will go nuts for a month, then go a month without.

Card Boy

Banned

No.

Docter Who, Seinfield, Curb your Enthusiam, Dexter, Prison Break Season 1 (rest suck), 30 Rock, How i met your Mother, Arrested Development, Mythbusters, American Pickers, Firefly and Little Britain say otherwise.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You just said Prison Break Season 1 was better than The Wire.

You just said that. It's recorded. Everyone can see it.

Jintor

Yep I watch it semi-regularly now too. My daughter really gets into Spawn Point as well. They do a good job.

Spawn Point is one of the best things they do.

I attended an event where a few of the GG dudes were talking to kids. One of the things that struck me was the plethora of girls in the audience - at that age nobody knows or cares about gender segregation in terms of videogames, they just like to play those dang videogames! Hopefully stuff like Spawn Point can slowly help introduce more girls to gaming, though I have the feeling that the general gaming community will wring all the joy out of it by the time they hit the age of, I don't know, 14 or 16.

The only show so far listed that I'd even consider saying is better than The Wire is Breaking Bad, and I don't think it's better than The Wire.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed what I've seen of the Sopranos (I'm currently midway through series five), but in a lot of ways it feels like a "first step" show. The lessons people learnt from it in shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire and Mad Men are invaluable, but it isn't something I'd consider quite at the same level as those three.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Southland is a pretty good cop show, I could recommend that.

Although I do recommend it with a half felt recommendation, That's how I am with every show i suggest. Since it's such a big time commitment i can never actually say, FUCK YEA THIS SHOW IS THE SHIT, No matter what it is.

Movies are usually 2hrs max so there's no real time commitment required. So even if I was to suggest a shitty movie it's only 2hrs of your time and not what could be 20hrs+.

And i do know you can bail out of a tv series after the first 1 or 2 episodes but you know there's always someone who will chime in and say, It gets better after episode X, so hang in there. I hate being that guy.

Off topic. Job market looks shit, Guess there's going to be a few cuts here and there. Looks like i'm stuck at this job since I guess it's secure D:

Top Bottom