• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Thai either. Might be because most dishes have some form of sweetness to it, so to me they all taste pretty similar. Most places butcher the curries too by adding waaay too much coconut milk.

Yep, I would always use this as a defining attribute of Thai if I need to describe it to other people. Not sure how healthy it is either???

Echoplx

What is this usenet magic you guys talk about? Can a moron like me use it? Can a cheapskate like me use it for free?

[elitism]If you can't even be bothered to google what it is then it's probably going to be too much for you[/elitism]

[joke]It's basically a series of tubes that gives everyone faster speeds[/joke]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

You get it for free with some ISPs but you can also pay for it, it's normally around $10/month iirc

Dead Man

A valentine.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Thai either. Might be because most dishes have some form of sweetness to it, so to me they all taste pretty similar. Most places butcher the curries too by adding waaay too much coconut milk.

I love me some Thai, but I do love some southern Chinese too. Sichuan, mmm....

Yep, I would always use this as a defining attribute of Thai if I need to describe it to other people. Not sure how healthy it is either???

A good Thai curry will be really saucy, but it shouldn't taste overwhelmingly of coconut sauce. It definitely should be sweet though, sugar is a pretty important part of the flavour. They taste like shit without sugar.

I love a good green curry, I could eat that all day.

jambo

Intermission for The Wall, this is the greatest concert I have ever seen.

Oh my god.

This is just amazing.

On another level.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Rez, I should point out that "Bullet" is actually Bullitt.

I have no idea what Bullet is but it's not the movie you want to see :D

If the Bill and Teds weren't on the list of recommended movies, you all should be ashamed. They're the major motion picture accomplishment of the last several decades. Except maybe for Wayne's World. That should be on there too.

I love me some Thai, but I do love some southern Chinese too. Sichuan, mmm....

oh boy i love that stuff. Eating sichuan food in sichuan = my most bestest holiday i ever had.

Oh wow, this is fairly recent.

It's a shame they don't support iOS yet.

the streaming catalog isn't that big either. I started using it when they bought out the ps3 app. Picture quality is acceptable but the range is fairly small and the search interface is bullshit eg. select Genre->Science Fiction and 2010 doesn't show up, but do a view all and it's right there in first place.

On the plus side, there's a suprisingly decent selection of schlock horror and b-grade (Hell comes to frogtown!). Also it does seem like new titles are added weekly.

Fogz

If the Bill and Teds weren't on the list of recommended movies, you all should be ashamed. They're the major motion picture accomplishment of the last several decades. Except maybe for Wayne's World. That should be on there too.

I watched the Bill and Teds for the first time in ages just recently, last time they were on TV.

They did not age well :'(

So I've missed the last few months of AusGAF shenanigans, thanks in no small part to a broken iPhone and a vastly improved content filter at work. I've been depressingly productive in that time.

What'd I miss?

I showed my wife wayne's world for the first time last year. Reaaaally dated badly, articularly the end. Pretty much the same with any film based on SNL sketches apart from the Blues Brothers.

The Blues Brothers is timeless

Bullitt is really not that good IMO.

Also, some people would say Papilion is a good film but having seen it so many times as a kid, i hate it. Steve macqueen and dustin hoffman are good in it though.

Also- midnight cowboy "i'm walkin' here!", the graduate "plastics" and marathon man "is it safe" are three iconic Hoffman films

The karate kid part ii is on tv right now. It is shit.

Changed the channel and father ted is on. Im watching father ted.

I showed my wife wayne's world for the first time last year. Reaaaally dated badly, articularly the end. Pretty much the same with any film based on SNL sketches apart from the Blues Brothers.

Also, some people would say Papilion is a good film but having seen it so many times as a kid, i hate it. Steve macqueen and dustin hoffman are good in it though.

Also- midnight cowboy "i'm walkin' here!", the graduate "plastics" and marathon man "is it safe" are three iconic Hoffman films

Papillon featured topless women in a culturally appropriate context, so adults are less justified not letting you see it. When you're 10, that's something you really appreciate.

Clouds? Board games?
I played FFXIII and Munchkin for the first time not that long ago.

Protip: Don't take the name "Fundominoes" at face value.

oipic

What'd I miss?

I admittedly have an uncanny knack for missing blatantly obvious subtext, but I vaguely recall some dude getting banned for unsociable shenanigans, and returning later on to apologise. Cold shoulders were given, tumbleweeds ensued.

And bloody Ricki-Lee still gets mentioned every now and then.

Rahk

More movies!

Watched Gran Torino the other day and it was great.

Also, anyone that liked Samurai Seven should add Samurai Assassin and The Sword of Doom to their watch list.

Dead Man

It certainly is not if you are expecting an action film. But it is a great period cop thriller.

Choc

Banned
i'm going to make a bold prediction

the AFL starts again this Friday

On Friday The Age will run a story rubbishing soccer.

Guaranteed

Salazar

Did you read about Gold Coast United, Choc ?

Only one first team player on contract for next year. Crowds so shit. Team so shit. Palmer no longer gives a toss.

And the mentioned plan was to call them Queensland United and have them play in a bunch of different Qld places.

lol.

Darklord

Banned
What are some good flavored waters here? I came across this Sobe Lifewater but of course, they don't sell it in Australia. For a moment I thought of importing some then I realized how insane that sounds importing bottled water. I remember trying one a while ago and it tasted like shit so what other good ones can you buy here?

Bernbaum

So I've missed the last few months of AusGAF shenanigans, thanks in no small part to a broken iPhone and a vastly improved content filter at work. I've been depressingly productive in that time.

What'd I miss?

I went to see a Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit. They had a range of his famous paintings - 'Lady with an Ermine'; 'Portrait of a Musician'; and both versions of 'Virgin on the Rocks'.

The exhibit was curated in such a fashion that each of Da Vinci's studies and preliminary sketches were on display in tandem with the completed piece. A page full of hands here; a page full of draped clothing patterns; a page of facial musculature; and then BAM there would be the final complete painting that resulted from the preliminary sketches.

Individual pages of Da Vinci's sketches and hand-written notes were suspended in panes of glass so viewers could inspect them from both sides. The pencil strokes and smudges of fingerprints along the paper were faintly visible, giving each article an element of tangibility. The art style was definitively Da Vinci, but the viewer could see how it was made. Having Da Vinci's scribbles right under your nose really helped close the centuries-long gap between his heyday and now.

I adore seeing how things are made, and seeing an assortment of Da Vinci paintings in association with the materials that went into making them was an utterly spellbinding experience.

It was pretty fucking radarse.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Bullitt is probably not a movie I would watch multiple times but I think Rez should check it out, just because the car chase scene is so renowned, especially for that era. It certainly isn't a deep movie by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoyed it because it felt more simple? There was also just generally less talking, especially in the car chase scene. These days you get such a scene and there's always some dickhead rambling on about something, it's fucking annoying.

And yes, the blues brothers is timeless. Great comedy and amazing music.

Clipper

Papillon featured topless women in a culturally appropriate context, so adults are less justified not letting you see it. When you're 10, that's something you really appreciate.

Clouds? Board games?
I played FFXIII and Munchkin for the first time not that long ago.

Protip: Don't take the name "Fundominoes" at face value.
SydGAF meetup 2 happened on Sunday with board games being played as the hook. Munchkin and Citadels were played and we hope to make it a regular thing.

Shaneus

Hey AusGAF, anyone know what the deal is with sick leave certificate requirements? It looks like I'll have to take a third day off in a row for a cold, not sure whether I need to waste my time going to a doctor or not. Full-time employment, non-government... if that helps.

Pretty sure it depends entirely on your employer (or industry). One of my wife's old jobs used to demand a certificate even for one day leave, because so many people faked sick days so often. Where I work it's if you have more than three days off in a row (including weekends) then you need one. I tend to just get one if I need two or more days off in a row.

Totally jealous of all the awesome stuff Bernbaum has access to now he's abandoned AusGAF for London... GAF.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
VKS, melbgaf happened since Kritz was up from tassie. I organised it and I didnt even get to go!

Looks like a melbgaf 2.0 might happen at a barcraft. Watching the Starcraft 2 finals of a tournament at a bar. Genius name.

Hey AusGAF, anyone know what the deal is with sick leave certificate requirements? It looks like I'll have to take a third day off in a row for a cold, not sure whether I need to waste my time going to a doctor or not. Full-time employment, non-government... if that helps.
A lot of companies work off of the "2 or more consecutive days" or "if it's a Friday or Monday" you must get a certificate rule.

Could you not ask when you call in sick?

Yeah that's what my work does. But I'd just ask if they want one when you call them.

The business with GC united is ridiculous. The a league expansion has been a complete failure save for the heart. I wonder why united have failed? I mean the titans are well established now, last season hopefully being a blip, and the suns had a good first run.

Omikron

Just finished watching this purely on your post and yea. Worth watching. Utterly insane.

Heh, I occasionally have good suggestions. Everyone should watch it.

Would depend on your works policy... just ring and ask them if you will need a certificate?

Our office is for when days off sick > 2.

Top Bottom