• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Omikron

Its the attitude of the FFA in general. Not to mention pundits like Fozz. It seems like they are always talking about soccer becoming the biggest sport in the country (when it is no where near) and then sticking a motto that seems purposely designed to put fans of other football codes offside.

You really think 'We Are Football' puts others off?

I just don't see it. The football/soccer pundits push back so hard because for years and years they have been stomped over for years by the bigger codes because they are easy targets. The likes of Simon Hill have a far more pragmatic view point however and its good to see.

I think the majority of fans would rather still have the soccer guys playing in a little corner by themselves still tbh.

Might be a good idea for the government to step in and add it to the anti-syphoning laws then, that way the game of Soccer gets into more homes and gains more publicity while Foxtel can't complain that the codes are screwing them out of money.

Also cheerleaders should wrestle emu's at half time. Maybe get Danny Green in to box some Kangaroos for the game of the rounds each week.

I believe they NT games are being re-added to the anti-siphoning list soon or already have.

I wouldn't mind going, but I'm just far too lazy to bother, and when I last looked there weren't games on at a convenient time for me (this was over Christmas).

It should be noted that I've been to a grand total of 1 (one) AFL match where I paid, and that was when I took my father to the only live AFL match he's every been to, despite being glued to the TV every weekend. It rained and I dropped some pie on the ground. Collingwood won. It could have gone better.

BTW, who here has actually been to an a-league game? My guess is not many.
Nope. Haven't been to Rugby's or 20/20 either. Only a few ODI's, last was the all-star game I think? Only one Test match.

I just don't have time to get to a game. Watching it on TV means I can do other shit at the same time. The only draw to go to a game would be the social aspect. Been to plenty of footy games just to catch up with mates and get drunk on $7 light beers (because no bastard wants to go to an MCG night game for some reason).

Do they serve full strength beer at the Rugby or A-TeamLeague? What prices?

Salazar

I just don't have time to get to a game. Watching it on TV means I can do other shit at the same time.

Main thing I hate - and this goes for a lot of live sport in Australia, really - are the wankers from radio stations with their competitions and crowd-interaction shit, and the blaring of music at every possible fucken opportunity. Went to a few Reds union games in Brisbane and it was pretty tedious in that respect - but I think the Gold Coast game I went to was worse.

Poh's Kitchen is my new thing. <3<3<3

Can you take the disc to uni or somewhere and pull the files off the driver install disc and put them on a USB?

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Was pleasantly surprised as I thought it would one of those ones where you can't access the files or anything and I would have to burn an .iso and then mount it on my computer but just dragged and dropped that shit. Finally works.

Forgot to mention, this is on my work PC running XP SP3

Ah, in that case get back to work! Wish I could help.

Been to 3 or 4 including the first grand final but haven't been in at least 2 years.

I just don't see it. The football/soccer pundits push back so hard because for years and years they have been stomped over for years by the bigger codes because they are easy targets. The likes of Simon Hill have a far more pragmatic view point however and its good to see.

I don't think it actively makes people not follow the A League, but, as we've been through before, the word "football" doesn't necessarily mean soccer in Australia. So if you're a die hard not-soccer follower and you're suddenly told, this "is football" it's not going to put them in a good mood about it. I could be completely wrong here, but it just comes across to me as a pretty aggressively worded marketing campaign.
Not to mention it's stolen straight from the Queensldn Reds "we are red" campaign from last year.

You don't attend Roar games? Shame on you.

I've been. It was before the Roar was any good so it was kind of painful. But still I had fun.
I then moved out of south east Queensland when they turned good and haven't gone to a game since I moved back.

Choc

Banned
It isn't about creating THE football code in Australia with the A-league, just a sustainable one. At least in the short term anyway. Which largely on their way to doing (Despite Craig Palmer). :p

I think the biggest issue with the a-league is basically one of promotion. They promote it poorly in the media, particularly FTA, when was the last time you even saw an advert on TV for an upcoming game?!

One of the top 2-3 games of the round on FTA would be fantastic for the games promotion as well as bringing the National team games back to FTA as well. Although that is a double edged sword with the amount of money Fox pump into the game with the rights.

amazing point

When was the last time you saw an advert for an upcoming game of any sport outside of the station the competition is broadcast on?

I've missed much of the ODI series because I had no clue when the games were on unless I checked Twitter and saw what was trending and realised I hadn't seen the first ten overs.

Omikron

When was the last time you saw an advert for an upcoming game of any sport outside of the station the competition is broadcast on?

I see pages of advertisements in the Herald Sun for football daily. :p

Once you reach a certain point, the game sort of promotes itself. I don't think the A-League is at that level, it needs constant fueling.

Choc

Banned

also i was reading last week that Seven is going to have a huge tilt at the NRL rights even though 9 has first and last. They think 9 are in a vulnerable position this time around

and gallop has said Fox needs to pay a lot more than tehy already are else they will be frozen out

:|

Omikron

"On TV" - forums poster Omi

Yeah, same difference, its blanket coverage for the AFL down here in 7/9/10 just about. I am sure its much the same up north for league.

A-League might get a goal or two for all the games on the weekend on the news broadcast and that is it. Generally it isn't even the most critical or match winning goal either. Its pretty pathetic.

You see ads for Reds games on FTA fairly regularly during the Super Rugby season in Brisbane, despite the games being on Fox. That's the only example I can think of. I know I've seen ads for Broncos games, not the telecast the game itself, but I'm pretty sure they were on Channel 9

Omikron

You were talking about paid advertisements on TV, not news coverage.

Kinda gets back to the point I made after that really. NRL/AFL are both big enough that the media coverage they get along kinda means they don't have to bother.

But meh, circular argument.

I enjoy watching the A-League, it is better than a lot of people give it credit for and thats it really. More people should watch it, but it won't get the following unless more people have access to it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

I think the majority of fans would rather still have the soccer guys playing in a little corner by themselves still tbh.

I believe they NT games are being re-added to the anti-siphoning list soon or already have.

lol no you're not.

(ie yes it does)

leca

Would anyone else be interested in a lunchtime gaming group?

With devices like the PS vita/3DS having a pretty rich online experience I'm pretty confident this could work out alright, regardless of your location in Australia.

Between 12pm-1pm each day I could find the time for a few races while having a sandwich :)

I'm not expecting a massive response to this idea, but I figured that surely we have a few ausgaf regulars that might be keen to fit in a bit of gaming at work/home.

HolyCheck

427544_307036099353045_100001399710578_871100_1336750627_n.jpg

My book has arrived!

markot

Banned
Hmm, so I am pretty sure its my MB, did the paper clip trick, was able to turn on the psu get the fans running on my gpu and what nots >_<;....

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I have to get a new cpu as well, even though its fine, because stupid intel is jump and lame and has a new socket every 2 months!

Booooooooo.

Plus I may as well get a new case because I had to mangle it to get my gpu to fit.

Way to lame everything up lightning.

Is it pretty much impossible to fix a mb >.>?

Plus my internets is still down and they cant get a guy out till wednesday cause I think the lightning broke an internets tube outside or it fucked my modem....

I blame Jullia Gillard too, if Krudd was in power all our problems would be solved!

If shorting the jumpers on the motherboard turned everything on, it's possible the motherboard is OK*. If the fans start running, why not let it boot up? If there's not enough components to do that, add the most critical, one at a time until it stops. Note that you don't need the graphics card in to test if the motherboard is OK. You'll get the regular beeps if everything's OK and it's just missing the graphics card.

I had a keyboard that would screw up any computer it was plugged into. Took a long time to find out that it was the cause of my problems.

* Or at least not totally damaged.

Fredescu

I think the paperclip trick he means is the one where you unplug the PSU from the motherboard and make it turn itself on. Not the one where you short motherboard jumpers to bypass the switch. I think.

markot

Banned
No, if I unplug the PSU from everything and short it, the fan starts running on it, it works. Then I plug in the dvd or the vid card, and they run.

But I plug the PSU into the MB, and nothing, the PSU doesnt even start properly. It just constantly restarts every .01 second >.<; And nothing else gets power.

And yeah its psu trick, dont know nuthing about the mb one >.>!

Rezbit

also i was reading last week that Seven is going to have a huge tilt at the NRL rights even though 9 has first and last. They think 9 are in a vulnerable position this time around

and gallop has said Fox needs to pay a lot more than tehy already are else they will be frozen out

Very dangerous move trying to dictate to Fox. I really get the feeling the NRL just wants it to be a pissing match and get more for the rights than the AFL.

Ohh, I see. Unplug everything from the motherboard (except for fans). Leave only the CPU (and heatsink, fans, etc) -- even the RAM, graphics card and connections from the motherboard to the case should be disconnected and try from there. The best way to do this is to take out the whole lot and put it in a piece of cardboard on a desk, because it could be that the case is now shorting something too. Again, if it starts up, add something one by one. If it doesn't it's the motherboard (and possibly other components).

Very dangerous move trying to dictate to Fox. I really get the feeling the NRL just wants it to be a pissing match and get more for the rights than the AFL.

Apparently 10 is in on the NRL rights too since Lachlan Murdoch took over. I just really want more than one game on FTA live per week. It's a disgrace that the Sunday game is delayed for no apparent reason.

And Fox has to pay more next time. The fact that they don't have people on both sides of the negotiations this time should help

Danoss

Fox and 9 got the rights for dirt cheap last time around. NRL events have been the highest rating shows on Fox for a very long time, it has also been a large selling point for the take up of Foxtel in many areas as it was one of the foundations of its success.

The theory of why Fox pushed so hard for the AFL rights is to push more installations in non-NRL areas. The NRL also has an independent commission in operation now, no longer is there a News Ltd person on the board to vote for his own company's benefit.

If Fox loses the NRL rights, I think they may be in a spot of trouble. Myself and a lot of people I know only have Foxtel for NRL matches. If they lost it, I would cancel Foxtel immediately. It serves no other purpose.

Choc

Banned
NRL losing fox would be pretty bad

If Foxtel loses the Premier League ever i know about 50 people that will unsub.

Crucial to Fox is NRL, AFL, EPL

Fox will pay more if they get the AFL deal which is every game live

but 9 won't allow that to happen as it will bastardise their audience

I don't think the NRL will give anyone the entire games list live

Rumor is channel 10 want the monday night game.

Fox 'invented' the monday night game in that they pushed the NRL to do it. Can't see them wanting that to go easily

Channel 10 has a lot of money to play with. They no longer have V8 Supercars or the AFL, so that money is freed up to bid for this. They do have the wallabies but they don't cost as much as the AFL did.

The channel 9 sunday game is delayed to encourage people to go to the game

I kind of hope the NRL gets split up. It deserves better than the way 9 has broadcast it. It's a testament to the game that it's managed to get such strong ratings despite being treated like the red-headed step child of Australian sport.

Having the Monday night game on Ten would be rad. I'd watch the shit out of that. There are so many teams that barely get the light of day on 9. I swear last year the finals was the only time I saw the Warriors play. And they nearly made the GF, so it's not like they sucked.

I've been running on a Google Nexus S and have had a mixed experience. There has been a horrendous bug that has lasted for over 18 months without a fix. To me, that's pretty appalling service and poor attention to detail, especially on a phone that is supposed to demonstrate how wonderful Android in its unaltered state is. I had to install Cyanogen to minimise the impact of this bug, but this has introduced its own set of problems (instability, apps that used to function no longer do) and it still hasn't been worth the hassle.

what's the bug? i haven't had anything worse than having to turn it off and back on again when it slows down some, but i had to do that with my blackberry before that.. and with friend's iphones too. just curious. frankly i miss my blackberry (real keyboard, awesome reception) but overall i still find the nexus more useful.

HolyCheck

There was a Manga based on that? Wow. Seen it all now.

Also, thanks for reminding me that some Vita games and the animated series of Dragons Lair should be hitting on Wednesday.

Nope! It's a game guide, but told in the style of a narative!

"As the Zero-One rode past the Rapidash creatures, over to the left was a single Vulpix playing by itself. Todd gladly tossed some Pokemon Food to this cute red Pokemon and took its picture. Looking to the right, he saw two more Vulpix playing together. What an adorable sight - and what a nice photo score he would get by capturing this scene! As the camera's photo shutter clicked, Todd thought about how this picture would add to the PKMN Report."

On either side of this paragraph are some photos of the rapidash and Vulpix with good scores!

markot

Banned
I do, I could never do those magic 3d things with my own 2 eyes >.> (Which leads me to believe that there is nothing there but everyone is just pretending to see it so as to not look dumb, but im not afraid!)

Salazar

It's alright, markot. There's only one semi-regular Aus-Gaffer who is flat out dumb.

Unrelated: where is Shan ? She be unbanned.

Top Bottom