• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
Speaking of smartphones, has anyone picked up the HTC Velocity? It looks so pretty. But I'm stuck with my desire for another year. Sigh. Fuck it's internal memory.

Yep :( My friend is boasting about it too, I love storms.

4G is over rated at the moment. CBD and Airports of 3 major cities, thats it.

Still when Apple releaes the 4G ipad 3 it will go bananas, and Telstra will get lots of money

Deeku

There were some pretty crazy flashes of lightning earlier. I was not freaked out at all!

That Wade guy sure knows how to catch!

Whenever 3G is enabled, the search button will randomly activate, popping up the search tool, either browser search or voice search, depending on what I'm doing at the time. It happens so regularly, it renders 3G unusable. I had to install Cyanogen to assign 'no function' to the search button so it wouldn't bring up any prompt. The button still randomly activates which stopps the back, menu or home buttons from functioning until the search button releases.

Google is well aware of this problem as there have been many threads made about it and Google engineers/PR have responded in them. The last time I saw them attempt a fix, it had to be abandoned as it stopped 3G working altogether. I believe this bug made the news on many tech sites, it was quite prolific.

And there was no go from your provider about getting a replacement? When I had problems with my old Samsung touchscreen POS they replaced it twice during my 24 month contract. On Telstra too. Damn thing would just refuse to do certain things every now and then. So glad to get a new one until I was out of contract and grab the Galaxy S2.

Danoss

And there was no go from your provider about getting a replacement? When I had problems with my old Samsung touchscreen POS they replaced it twice during my 24 month contract. On Telstra too. Damn thing would just refuse to do certain things every now and then. So glad to get a new one until I was out of contract and grab the Galaxy S2.

I imported it, because I wanted the SAMOLED screen that US/Canada got, not the SLCD that us chumps in Australia got.

I just looked back at the threads on this bug and it's still not fixed, what a joke. The general theory is that it's a hardware issue, but it won't be admitted since it would essentially be a recall. Since a large number of these phones have this problem, it'd be more hassle than it's worth to get a working one, if such a thing exists.

Might call in sick to work tomorrow. Cold has gotten worse, throat is super dry. The little guy has had a snotty nose the last few days. The other admin at works gets cranky when I go in to work sick. Will also have to reschedule my blood donation, which means I will most likely forget my appointment. Again.

I imported it, because I wanted the SAMOLED screen that US/Canada got, not the SLCD that us chumps in Australia got.

I just looked back at the threads on this bug and it's still not fixed, what a joke. The general theory is that it's a hardware issue, but it won't be admitted since it would essentially be a recall. Since a large number of these phones have this problem, it'd be more hassle than it's worth to get a working one, if such a thing exists.
Ah that sucks. I know 4 or 5 people with them around here with no problems thankfully. Sucks that the company you got it from won't send it in for replacement. I always make sure to get a 2 year warranty on my phones after having such bad luck with them.

Danoss

Ah that sucks. I know 4 or 5 people with them around here with no problems thankfully. Sucks that the company you got it from won't send it in for replacement. I always make sure to get a 2 year warranty on my phones after having such bad luck with them.

I just looked up my receipt and notice that it's still under warranty until April, so I could send it back if I wanted. Since it's unlikely anything will happen from what I've read, as any replacement will have the same problem, I don't think it's worth it. I'm going to cut my losses and deal with this problem until I can grab a new phone.

Shaneus

Might call in sick to work tomorrow. Cold has gotten worse, throat is super dry. The little guy has had a snotty nose the last few days. The other admin at works gets cranky when I go in to work sick. Will also have to reschedule my blood donation, which means I will most likely forget my appointment. Again.
I had Monday-Thursday off with the same thing :(

Dead Man

Speaking of smartphones, has anyone picked up the HTC Velocity? It looks so pretty. But I'm stuck with my desire for another year. Sigh. Fuck its internal memory.
No, but I want one. I love my Legend, but that thing looks awesome.
4G is over rated at the moment. CBD and Airports of 3 major cities, thats it.

Still when Apple releaes the 4G ipad 3 it will go bananas, and Telstra will get lots of money

Don't really care about the 4g, it just looks slick as fuck.

Edit: Although I'll be buggered if I give Telstra any money.

Mar

That AusGAF twitter thing is cool. Like I mentioned last week, I moved to twitter as its faster to just throw a tweet out there than reading a forum. So this solves that issue.

http://twitter.com/marcs_tweet by the way if I'm not on the list thingy.

Blip Festival Australia was amazing. I am still recovering from two nights of music and drinking that would kill any man. It was sold out both nights and everyone was really awesome. Old technology is not reliable, and the crowd didn't care when something didn't work, and just waited patiently for the next thing, or started their own entertainment (two guys dressed as Mario and Luigi were dancing up a goddamn storm).

Never experienced anything like it. The whole concept of a chiptune festival sounds really geeky, but was in fact perhaps the most hardcore thing I've witnessed. There were circle pits, dudes tripping on balls, and music that would have drowned out any metal band I've seen (and I've seen a lot).

I think chiptunes are going to get much popular pretty quickly. The scene is still forming but growing and, strangely, young people are all over it. There weren't many my age there and even the performers are in their twenties or the most part.

Jintor

Nothing important was happening.

Ended week 6 jogging this morning, 15 min run, 3 min stop, 10 min run. Thought the last one was only 5 min, flipped my shit when my app told me "5 minutes remaining"

But I did it. I feel good.

Choc

Banned
Television sports network ESPN has fired an employee responsible for an offensive headline referring to New York Knicks basketball sensation Jeremy Lin.
The headline Chink in the Armor was used on Friday on ESPN's mobile website after Lin had nine turnovers in New York's loss to New Orleans.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketb...in-headline-20120220-1thtr.html#ixzz1ms46o5Me

no doubt that its a bad headline but something tells me that its a completely mistake AND a complete over-reaction

trinest

God she's an ugly creature.

The last one makes her look like a boy, but the one above it is acceptable.

I'm so confused. o.o

Throw smartphone suggestions at me.

Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 800 (now avaliable in Australia :D), or the Nokia Lumia 900 (you got to Gray Import that Beast), or the HTC Titan. (Other good phones are the Mozart, however it is a first gen WP7 device so is quite out-dated now).
Android: People will say the Galaxy S2, they are right- if we were living a few years ago. There are newer ones out now which I recomend over the S2, however it is a fine phone if you find it cheap as chips. The other phones I recomend are the Galaxy Note and the new Galaxy Nexus.
iPhone: the latest one. I don't really recomend it either.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no idea why I keep feeling sick on the weekdays. From the moment I'm on the train all the way through the day I always have this sickly feeling like i'm going to vomit. On the weekend I'm perfectly fine, apart from eating too much and too quickly.

I might ditch the multivitamins tomorrow morning to see if that is causing it. My morning routine hasn't changed in months though, So i can't image what variable has popped up that's causing issues.

Maybe i'm just dying a slow death, Could be interesting!

Television sports network ESPN has fired an employee responsible for an offensive headline referring to New York Knicks basketball sensation Jeremy Lin.
The headline Chink in the Armor was used on Friday on ESPN's mobile website after Lin had nine turnovers in New York's loss to New Orleans.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketb...in-headline-20120220-1thtr.html#ixzz1ms46o5Me

no doubt that its a bad headline but something tells me that its a completely mistake AND a complete over-reaction

I dunno dude there have been some close to the line ones previously and "Chink in the Armor" is pretty bad. I though "Amasian" was sailing close to the wind as well. I just wish people could get over the fact that he's Asian. I mean he's not the first Asian basketball superstar. Surely the better story is that he was picked up off waivers for a bench spot and has hit a ridiculous streak of form.

Choc

Banned
Amasian is CLEARLY about his racial background

but

Chink in the Armor, is a saying that is used a lot. Poor judgement indeed, but still...

Reminds me of Sunk Loto. By the numbers hard rock but not bad. Could be a nice guilty pleasure band in the future. Actually, feels a bit like Horsell Common too.

Was just mentioning because of Tabula Rasa the game. I'm thinking now that perhaps it was just a curious coincidence.

The bands/artists I'm currently getting into are Frank Turner (the specific song: Try This At Home), The Spill Canvas (everything, but Dust Storm is pretty amazing, as well as Our Song), The Menzingers (song: The Obituaries), and menzingers are touring with frank turner too.. but in the US. fail.

Android: People will say the Galaxy S2, they are right- if we were living a few years ago. There are newer ones out now which I recomend over the S2, however it is a fine phone if you find it cheap as chips. The other phones I recomend are the Galaxy Note and the new Galaxy Nexus.
iPhone: the latest one. I don't really recomend it either.
Wait, didn't the S2 only come out last July?

I have no idea why I keep feeling sick on the weekdays. From the moment I'm on the train all the way through the day I always have this sickly feeling like i'm going to vomit. On the weekend I'm perfectly fine, apart from eating too much and too quickly.

I might ditch the multivitamins tomorrow morning to see if that is causing it. My morning routine hasn't changed in months though, So i can't image what variable has popped up that's causing issues.

Maybe i'm just dying a slow death, Could be interesting!
Might be the travelling in the train that is making you feel sick?

Chink in the Armor, is a saying that is used a lot.
I'll admit that I can't remember the last time I had heard it before today. Seems like something that hasn't been used in a while. Not sure why they went to the effort of using that phrase though, especially with the racial slur involved. Plenty of better ways of saying he had a bad game.

Amasian is CLEARLY about his racial background

but

Chink in the Armor, is a saying that is used a lot. Poor judgement indeed, but still...

Sure, but "chink" has some nasty overtones and with all the Asian comments going on I don't doubt the pun was intended. It's one of the only fun parts about writing headlines is trying to think of rad puns.
I doubt the guy was intentionally being racist, more likely he didn't think it was worse than the others.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've also come to the conclusion that as much as I love Idle Thumbs, I fucking hate the fans.

The amount of stupidity, constant use of thumb memes and dumb shit like that is just well, dumb shit. It reminds me of young girls getting excited for justin beiber, calling him beibs and doing whatever other dumb shit they do. It's just fucking annoying.

That tease thread in gaming is really hard to view now. I know I used to join in and be like, new podcast all over my face, but i've gotten really tired of it all.

I do look forward to whatever they will bring out, Even if it's just a weekly podcast. I just can't stand the manchild stuff going on anymore.

I'm too old for this shit! Must be getting more cranky as I near 28.

Woot. Got anti-biotics for my sickness.
Also got an appointment to cut a mole out of my leg which looked alarming to the doctor. Should be fun. Thankfully he only found the one.

Woot. Got anti-biotics for my sickness.
Also got an appointment to cut a mole out of my leg which looked alarming to the doctor. Should be fun. Thankfully he only found the one.

I have a dark mole on my right hand that's been there since before I can remember and every new doctor freaks over it. It's funny. It's raised and dark and all the signs and shit, but it's never changed.

I have a dark mole on my right hand that's been there since before I can remember and every new doctor freaks over it. It's funny. It's raised and dark and all the signs and shit, but it's never changed.

Yeah I only bothered to get checked out while I was there because this new mole popped up near my ankle out of nowhere and is almost black in colour which is different to all the others which are brown and haven't gotten bigger over the years. Not too worried as it only appeared 2 weeks ago and is pretty small, originally thought it was a bug bite.

Jintor

I've also come to the conclusion that as much as I love Idle Thumbs, I fucking hate the fans.

The amount of stupidity, constant use of thumb memes and dumb shit like that is just well, dumb shit. It reminds me of young girls getting excited for justin beiber, calling him beibs and doing whatever other dumb shit they do. It's just fucking annoying.

That tease thread in gaming is really hard to view now. I know I used to join in and be like, new podcast all over my face, but i've gotten really tired of it all.

I do look forward to whatever they will bring out, Even if it's just a weekly podcast. I just can't stand the manchild stuff going on anymore.

I'm too old for this shit! Must be getting more cranky as I near 28.

Hooooraaaaay for you!

Top Bottom