• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Rezbit

Had a squizz at that Idle Thumbs thread, cookie.

Wow. I think that Corky dude pretty much sums up what you're saying LOL. How embarrassing.

Rahk

Yes. Puffins and all that.

Now if only the thread would contain actual information instead of constant circle jerking, It might actually be good.
If the thread didn't have that shit in it there would be no posts at all because there is no information yet.

It's just a way to show Chris and co. that we like what they do.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
If the thread didn't have that shit in it there would be no posts at all because there is no information yet.

It's just a way to show Chris and co. that we like what they do.

For sure. But i think it's kinda gone beyond that and into it's own little creepy world.

I would much prefer to read individuals speculation as to what the reveal could be, What they would be happy with. For example, Could it be a similar site to giantbomb but smaller and would people be happy to pay for something that would include say, A VOD of each podcast instead of just MP3. Paying gives you access to live chats before and after the show, You're able to ask questions at the end segment etc etc.

Speculation like that can be actual feedback to the guys who are probably pondering what on earth they want to do and how to go about it. If everyone in the thread was like, Hell yea i would pay XYZ for ZYX features, Then it's bound to give them more confidence in a product they have in mind.

Brilliant.

I think it's kinda disgusting, personally. Yeah, people should read shit properly before buying and all of that, but having the majority of the description be completely inaccurate and then just having a little "lol j/k" disclaimer down the bottom is wrong.

Guess I'm just not one for taking advantage of stupidity/laziness.

Whoever is managing the Twitter thing can add me (Twitter name is lorcanw).
I've added you to the @AusGAF/members list. The web host appears to be having some sort of problem at the moment which is why the Tweet bot hasn't done it's thing for the past couple of hours. Not sure why, I can't even SSH or FTP in so something's amiss.

Edit: Looks like it's back up.

jambo

Not sure if anyone in here can help, but may as well post it.

I can't seem to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 FW. When I run redsn0w 0.9.10b5c it finishes Phase One in DFU Mode and then the program gets an unexpected error and crashes.

I can reboot the phone ok and I have a backup, but I just want to JB the damn thing!

qgEeX.png

AkS1D.png

Yoshiya

Well the response to the Gonski review is rather disheartening. That the government will essentially begin a review of an extensive review to attempt to avoid the necessary funding injection for political/surplus purposes is, well, more cynical politicking than I'm used to from our government.

Who cares about the systematic perpetuation of inequality, right? We'll sacrifice the opportunity and social mobility of children to avoid a News Ltd. budget beat up.

Choc

Banned
Well the response to the Gonski review is rather disheartening. That the government will essentially begin a review of an extensive review to attempt to avoid the necessary funding injection for political/surplus purposes is, well, more cynical politicking than I'm used to from our government.

Who cares about the systematic perpetuation of inequality, right? We'll sacrifice the opportunity and social mobility of children to avoid a News Ltd. budget beat up.

99/100 economists are saying now is not the time for a surplus

problem is Tony doesn't listen to them and doesn't give a fuck. So Labor have to for politics deliver one no matter the cost

so labor MPs are urging Gillard to sack Rudd from cabinet

becase thats going to stop a challenge, of course its not for fuck sake

sigh politicians

Choc

Banned

Tony forcing the government to have a surplus due to politics when every economist is generally saying its not the right time to have one

how is that not Tony?

if Tony wasn't bleating so hard about the surplus, it wouldn't be such a major issue and we probably wouldn't have had the health rebate means test thing.

I think the means test is a good thing, but i think its also surplus related

legend166

How can Tony Abbott force the government to do anything?

Choc, your ability to blame Abbott for every single government problem in Australia is astounding.

Fredescu

We've had this same conversation a million times and I'm sick of it. If the government can't sell good policy, it's the governments fault. Tony isn't in a position to force anyone to do anything.

Omikron

You can bag Tony for his lack of substance other than attack dog tactics, but I don't think you can blame him for Labor's issues with selling itself or sorting their own internal shit out.

Edit: Beaten by Fred :x

Choc

Banned
How can Tony Abbott force the government to do anything?

Choc, your ability to blame Abbott for every single government problem in Australia is astounding.

That's what an opposition leader does. He will tear them to shreds if they don't deliver it and so right now rightly or wrongly Government policy is being dictated by Abbott

Sure thats not ENTIRELY abbots fault because it means the ALP has no balls to say no, this is wrong and we are not going to listen to you, but right now they are.

I don't blame TA for eeverything wrong with this Government, far from it. But when economists are saying a surplus this year should not be the focus, TA should step back and think of what might be best for the nation, not his own political interest. That's what a PROPER opposition leader does.

A proper opposition leader such as Malcolm Turnbull, does not just say No to everything. Even good things.

but Labors mess is not Tony's fault. I Agree.

legend166

That's what an opposition leader does. He will tear them to shreds if they don't deliver it and so right now rightly or wrongly Government policy is being dictated by Abbott

Sure thats not ENTIRELY abbots fault because it means the ALP has no balls to say no, this is wrong and we are not going to listen to you, but right now they are.

I don't blame TA for eeverything wrong with this Government, far from it. But when economists are saying a surplus this year should not be the focus, TA should step back and think of what might be best for the nation, not his own political interest. That's what a PROPER opposition leader does.

A proper opposition leader such as Malcolm Turnbull, does not just say No to everything. Even good things.

but Labors mess is not Tony's fault. I Agree.

How about the Labor Party (you know, the ones in government) step back and think of what might be best for the nation, and not their own political interests?

That's what a proper government does.

Choc

Banned
Agreed

they are listening to Tony far to much right now, but if they don't deliver a surplus they will be destroyed by Tony in the parliament

It would be political suicide, and political parties would never do that, even for the good of the nation.

Jezabel

Just found out i have to replace my computer and laptop. Both caught some virus that is hiding in the Network. The tech guys at school swiped everyone and once it got put back on the network it come straight back on.

They also gave me the most potent virus killing software but it eluded that too. Fucking viruses i'd like to punch the piece of shit that made this one

Rezbit

Just found out i have to replace my computer and laptop. Both caught some virus that is hiding in the Network. The tech guys at school swiped everyone and once it got put back on the network it come straight back on.

They also gave me the most potent virus killing software but it eluded that too. Fucking viruses i'd like to punch the piece of shit that made this one

WTF? You have to replace the computer and laptop? That seems kinda...weird.

Tony Abbott is the virus in Jezabel's computer :O

Fredescu

How many Labor governments have delivered a surplus?
Here's some stats about budgets over the last 40 years or so: http://www.stephenkoukoulas.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/great-big-new-economic-and-market-quiz.html

Basically, the coalition has delivered the most surpluses, but that's because they've been the highest taxing governments. They have never once reduced overall government spending, while Labor have done so 5 times. There are other interesting tidbits in there too.

So I bought a cheap Epson printer for Uni.
My laptop doesn't have a disc drive so I couldn't use the included installation disc.
Went online to get drivers and such and they just don't plain work. Says it's installing and then says it can't find them urgh. This is so fucking frustrating. I don't know what the fuck to do.

It's an epson NX130.

Not sure if anyone in here can help, but may as well post it.

I can't seem to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 on 5.0.1 FW. When I run redsn0w 0.9.10b5c it finishes Phase One in DFU Mode and then the program gets an unexpected error and crashes.

I can reboot the phone ok and I have a backup, but I just want to JB the damn thing!

qgEeX.png

AkS1D.png

I don't know about that specific version of redsn0w or JBing that firmware/ip4 but whenever I got an error using redsn0w it was fixed by running in XP Compatibility Mode.

Jezabel

WTF? You have to replace the computer and laptop? That seems kinda...weird.

Tony Abbott is the virus in Jezabel's computer :O

yeah i know, somewhere along the line the virus jumped from one to the other, they are both showing the exact same problems. gonna cost a bit bit down the line getting them replace but my old man it borrowing replacement computers from his work for me to use in the meanwhile

Yoshiya

yeah i know, somewhere along the line the virus jumped from one to the other, they are both showing the exact same problems. gonna cost a bit bit down the line getting them replace but my old man it borrowing replacement computers from his work for me to use in the meanwhile

Can't you just format and reinstall? Viruses aren't magic, they're just information on the disk like everything else.

It's an epson NX130.
Can you take the disc to uni or somewhere and pull the files off the driver install disc and put them on a USB?

Here's some stats about budgets over the last 40 years or so: http://www.stephenkoukoulas.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/great-big-new-economic-and-market-quiz.html

Basically, the coalition has delivered the most surpluses, but that's because they've been the highest taxing governments. They have never once reduced overall government spending, while Labor have done so 5 times. There are other interesting tidbits in there too.

Ah cool, I was wondering if they wanted a surplus because it hadn't been done in a while or something. Maybe they just want to keep their promise, or maybe it just seems like the correct thing to do.

Federal Labor seriously can't sell anything. They must have the worst press/marketing department in the world because almost everything they do get shot to shit.

I am so fucking sick of hearing about a fucking surplus too. With the Gonski Review we have a chance to dramatically improve education in this country, something that should always be at the forefront of a government's responsibilities, and instead it's all "nope, gotta get a surplus". I did Econ at uni for like 2 semesters and sucked balls at it, but one of the very first things I remember learning was "save in the good times, spend in the bad." Now is not the time to be saving up. Stimulate the shit out of this economy and tell Abbott and Hockey to shove it.

legend166

So since Omi had a dig at the AFL a couple of days ago, I'll just leave this here ;)

TV ratings average of NAB Cup games on Foxtel - 199,000.

Victory VS Brisbane - 79,000.

Seriously though, what's happening with the A-League? Just from an outsiders perspective it seems like the bump that was expected from Kewell and Emerton didn't arrive. The Adelaide VS Sydney game only got 53k.

To the soccer fans - do you guys think the combative nature of many of the prominent supporters of the game here (chief amongst them, Fooooooooooooozzzzzzie) has hurt the game more than it has helped? That massive chip-on-shoulder approach turns me off a lot and I'm sure it happens with others. They need more guys like Bosnich, who despite the atrocious hair hat, seems like a good guy.

I also think going on a rampage to get people to call it football instead of soccer was ill advised.

Interestingly enough, the Collingwood VS GWS game out rated the NRL Charity Shield game.

Fredescu

Ah cool, I was wondering if they wanted a surplus because it hadn't been done in a while or something. Maybe they just want to keep their promise, or maybe it just seems like the correct thing to do.
Basically, if they get a surplus in time for the next election, which they plan to, they can throw money at whatever will win them the most votes. They can also say "look, we're just like John Howard" and cut off an avenue for Tony Abbott to say "look, they're nothing like John Howard, while me, I'm just like him".

Howard/Costello were able to deliver surpluses because they increased taxation via the GST and other methods, so successive budgets after the GST they were able to implement various forms of middle class welfare and more tax cuts. The budget is in a deficit now because of the GFC bailouts. They probably spent too much on that, so now they flat refuse to increase spending on anything because they're worried about the next election.

jambo

Format and reinstall Windows from scratch, no need to buy new computers haha

I don't know about that specific version of redsn0w or JBing that firmware/ip4 but whenever I got an error using redsn0w it was fixed by running in XP Compatibility Mode.

Forgot to mention, this is on my work PC running XP SP3

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Eh. It's probably sitting in a temp folder called xysysys.something and auto starts on boot.

Just get something like process monitor from MS and look at what's currently running. Chances are xyasysys.something is sitting there having a good old time.

Most will transfer across networks though, So that's not a surprise.

Choc

Banned
So since Omi had a dig at the AFL a couple of days ago, I'll just leave this here ;)

TV ratings average of NAB Cup games on Foxtel - 199,000.

Victory VS Brisbane - 79,000.

Seriously though, what's happening with the A-League? Just from an outsiders perspective it seems like the bump that was expected from Kewell and Emerton didn't arrive. The Adelaide VS Sydney game only got 53k.

To the soccer fans - do you guys think the combative nature of many of the prominent supporters of the game here (chief amongst them, Fooooooooooooozzzzzzie) has hurt the game more than it has helped? That massive chip-on-shoulder approach turns me off a lot and I'm sure it happens with others. They need more guys like Bosnich, who despite the atrocious hair hat, seems like a good guy.

I also think going on a rampage to get people to call it football instead of soccer was ill advised.

Interestingly enough, the Collingwood VS GWS game out rated the NRL Charity Shield game.

It's actually about fucking time the FFA did that. Soccer Australia was a farcical name. Every association in Australia is now known as Football not Soccer.

It brings us into line with FIFA and the rest of the world

I get why you think its dumb, but in the grand scheme of things its not.

In terms of Foster, yes completely agree. He is being a complete twat and the shit he writes is ridiculous.

In terms of the combativeness nature of football fans i think that stems from the fact that AFL and NRL fans always talk the sport down, always. I usually don't see (aside from Fozz) football fans talking down the AFL and NRL and in fact most people i know who are football fans also follow the AFL and NRL to an extent. It seems like the AFL and NRL fans see football as a big threat for some reason. Perhaps its something to do with @ the grass roots, Football destroys the other two in numbers in most states for participation rates, well last time i looked it did, maybe thats changed.

There is a lot of things the FFA need to do to gain a following here

1) Entice the free to air channels to take a-league matches. Without FTA, the AL is fucked. You can't build a following not having it on a free to air network for at least one game.

2) Sell the rights to one game and the highlights package to a FTA channel. Much like what Foxtel did with SBS for the Premier League until SBS didn't want to pay more money.

3) Have matches scheduled at non stupid times. The amount of times i have not gone to the football this year because Sydney was playing 5pm Sunday night is RIDICULOUS.

out of all the cities in the A-League Sydney has the widest and largest metro area. To expect fans to go all the way into the city on a sunday evening for a 5pm kick off is ridiculous. Friday night games would gain a lot more people walking up from the city.

Check out what the Sydney Sixers did for a lesson in how to get crowds Mr FFA.

There are MANY OTHER CLUBS that could easily have 5pm Sunday and deal with it a lot better. Newcastle and the Mariners come to mind. People don't have to travel as far generally.

4) Allow Foxtel to have Internet Rights like they do for the premier league and to sell online rights for $30-40 a season, like they do the EPL.

5) Focus on the grass roots more. For example this weekend every referee in NSW registered with Football NSW gets a free ticket to the a-league matches to thank them for their services.

Why did it take Football NSW and not FFA doing this?

I get free entry every week regardless due to being with Federation, but for the kids just doing park football its nice. Not every week obviously, but nationwide once a year, thank the refs @ grass roots......

6) Look at teh way the NRL Clubs are managed. Don't let one big headed fuckwit like Clive Palmer be the person that if he leaves fucks a club. Have controls and management where its not just relying on one person.

Choc

Banned
also the Socceroos being exclusive to Foxtel is the WORST FUCKING THING the FFA has EVER DONE

how the FUCK the national football team is NOT on the siphoning list is beyond me

Fredescu

I would love more A League on FTA too, but Foxtel pump a crap load of money into the game. It may not be financially viable to do it without them.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone work/live near a Target or Kmart, apparently they're now got POS going up for the Vita and will be selling from March. Anyone get a snap for old Vooky?

Stupid WA means I can't get to a shop because I finish work after they close.

Choc

Banned
Anyone work/live near a Target or Kmart, apparently they're now got POS going up for the Vita and will be selling from March. Anyone get a snap for old Vooky?

Stupid WA means I can't get to a shop because I finish work after they close.

in NSW we have 24 hour kmarts :|

People watch soccer here? I thought only expats from Europe were into that stuff.

Now is not the time to be saving up. Stimulate the shit out of this economy and tell Abbott and Hockey to shove it.
This reminds me, are there any Abbott & Costello fan fiction out there or at least hilarious shops?

Basically, if they get a surplus in time for the next election, which they plan to, they can throw money at whatever will win them the most votes. They can also say "look, we're just like John Howard" and cut off an avenue for Tony Abbott to say "look, they're nothing like John Howard, while me, I'm just like him".

Howard/Costello were able to deliver surpluses because they increased taxation via the GST and other methods, so successive budgets after the GST they were able to implement various forms of middle class welfare and more tax cuts. The budget is in a deficit now because of the GFC bailouts. They probably spent too much on that, so now they flat refuse to increase spending on anything because they're worried about the next election.

John%2BHoward%2Brolling%2Bin%2Bmoney%2B2.jpg

Seems like a smart choice, weather the storm until they call an election and then bring out the big gun policies using up some of that extra money. Bit of a gamble hoping that people forget the rest of the term when they were complaining at the government.

If Labor offer me a $100 stimulus package again they have got my vote!

What the FFA needs to do is stop trying to make people abandon their NRL and AFL clubs for A League teams and market it as a sport to watch in the summer.
I know it kind of sounds like admitting defeat, but there is a market for not-cricket during the summer, and there is only what a month or two of overlap between the seasons?

And yeah, FTA TV would help a shit load as well.

Fredescu

What the FFA needs to do is stop trying to make people abandon their NRL and AFL clubs for A League teams and market it as a sport to watch in the summer.
This is such a great idea that Lowy went back in time and implemented this for all past A League seasons. Congrats on altering our timeline!

Fredescu

I thought you meant it should be played during the summer. If it was played during the winter, fans might actually have to abandon other codes games to watch A League. I don't think "we are football" means shit to anyone really. Why would accepting that mean you abandon your other teams?

Omikron

It isn't about creating THE football code in Australia with the A-league, just a sustainable one. At least in the short term anyway. Which largely on their way to doing (Despite Craig Palmer). :p

I think the biggest issue with the a-league is basically one of promotion. They promote it poorly in the media, particularly FTA, when was the last time you even saw an advert on TV for an upcoming game?!

One of the top 2-3 games of the round on FTA would be fantastic for the games promotion as well as bringing the National team games back to FTA as well. Although that is a double edged sword with the amount of money Fox pump into the game with the rights.

Its the attitude of the FFA in general. Not to mention pundits like Fozz. It seems like they are always talking about soccer becoming the biggest sport in the country (when it is no where near) and then sticking a motto that seems purposely designed to put fans of other football codes offside.

One of the top 2-3 games of the round on FTA would be fantastic for the games promotion as well as bringing the National team games back to FTA as well. Although that is a double edged sword with the amount of money Fox pump into the game with the rights.
Might be a good idea for the government to step in and add it to the anti-syphoning laws then, that way the game of Soccer gets into more homes and gains more publicity while Foxtel can't complain that the codes are screwing them out of money.

Also cheerleaders should wrestle emu's at half time. Maybe get Danny Green in to box some Kangaroos for the game of the rounds each week.

Top Bottom