• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
Giri the problem is EB is far to big for publishers to fuck off in Australia now

hence they could break every date under the sun and get away with it and recently they have been.

So, finally a tracking update on my PS3:
fifteendays.png

Fifteen days just to enter Australia when Amazon quoted 8-16 for the full turnaround. Still, at least it's coming. Now I just have to figure out how to sort this out with Amazon, given that I'm currently in the situation that the total exchange of cash is them giving $2 to me to accept this delayed PS3 :p.

Shanshan, did yours get an update too?

Not recently. It was due on the 15th :S

2akjle.png

Why did it arrive in Australia twice though?

fuck.me.

amanda vanstone

'alan joyce should be Australian of the year'

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...ed-australian-of-the-year-20111120-1np97.html

smh

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH.

jambo

Isn't the response simple.

Nintendo to EB "are you planning on breaking the street date"

EB "maaaaaaaaaaybe"

Nintendo "Do and you never get another Nintendo title to sell."

EB "Oh shi...."

But Nintendo sales in Australia would drop like crazy!

giri

Giri the problem is EB is far to big for publishers to fuck off in Australia now

hence they could break every date under the sun and get away with it and recently they have been.

Are they?

Considering that every K-Mart, Big W, Myer, Target, JB all have games / console sections on top of GAME and other state centric retailers (WoW Sight & Sound), i think they'd survive. Particularly Nintendo on their Marquee titles.

You don't buy Mario 3DS because you walked into EB, you went to EB because you wanted Mario 3DS, they don't have it, you go to the next place.

Choc

Banned
can't give specifics but EB probably outsells the rest of those combined (aside from JB and GAME0. If EB doesn't take a game but JB and GAME do that game generally does very very poorly

There are many examples of this (King of Fighters being a very good one)

Fredescu

Isn't the response simple.

Nintendo to EB "are you planning on breaking the street date"

EB "maaaaaaaaaaybe"

Nintendo "Do and you never get another Nintendo title to sell."

EB "Oh shi...."
Err, more like:

EB to Nintendo: "Gametraders are selling imports, let us sell Australian copies or we'll start selling imports too"

Yagharek

The OWS threads are the perfect place to start building an ignore list. Manos the hand of fate is a dumb-dumb on the level of cpp is king.

Yagharek

I was working there when TP came out. I think it was a week after Wii launch. Grabbed one, of course (had it ordered). We only got like 15 of them in, and they went fairly quickly.

giri

can't give specifics but EB probably outsells the rest of those combined (aside from JB and GAME0. If EB doesn't take a game but JB and GAME do that game generally does very very poorly

There are many examples of this (King of Fighters being a very good one)

KoF is NOT the franchise Mario is. Never was / will be.

Back that up with an advertising campaign from Nintendo co-sponsored by GAME/JB....

Things change quickly if people want them too.

commissar

I was working there when TP came out. I think it was a week after Wii launch. Grabbed one, of course (had it ordered). We only got like 15 of them in, and they went fairly quickly.
I ended up with two of them due to forgetting about a preorder at a different store (EB having presold) and sold the other copy at a nice profit a week later.

Also that website with the 240GB SSD has broken itself with trafffic :[

Choc

Banned
The reverse is, how much of EB's business is Nintendo product? if they're selling that much, probably massive also.

giri you are applying logic to where logic to somewhere logic does not exist, the games industry

what you say is right, but managers would be to busy looking at spreadsheets with negative numbers to sit back and think it through like that

giri

giri you are applying logic to where logic to somewhere logic does not exist, the games industry

what you say is right, but managers would be to busy looking at spreadsheets with negative numbers to sit back and think it through like that

Maybe, but i dare say that EB's margins are tighter, and it would hurt more, from the pull. It might impact nintendo , if they do the correct advertising campaign to make people aware of where to get it, but probably less than it would directly hurt EB.

Now i also get why EB would start selling immediately to compete with the people importing. I either buy online or import too. But the reason i import isn't convenience or the like, it's the severe price gouging, which both sides are part of. So breaking street dates on that flimsy excuse is a very weak point, IMO.

Yagharek

I ended up with two of them due to forgetting about a preorder at a different store (EB having presold) and sold the other copy at a nice profit a week later.

I think we had a few that never got picked up, so a mate asked if we had any and then bought one. Finished it and sold it for ~$150 about 6 months later.

ebay prices now are $99 to $120, so much more reasonable, but I held onto mine. $50 isnt much profit. Never played it either, the Wii version was good enough for me.

I do miss the old gamecube days, so many games were a nice surprise on it. I bought mine for REmake, and grabbed mario sunshine and monkey ball with it. Monkey target is a god-tier game. Simple and phenomenally good fun. I remember being vaguely aware of wind waker, had no interest in it, then we got a store demo. It was like watching a living, breathing cartoon. Still is. Grabbed that on day one.

Other chance purchases included chibi robo, donkey konga, pac man vs, mario strikers (5 minute + sudden death hilarity and being unable to breathe from laughter) and of course animal crossing import. I wasted whole weekends on bass fishing tourneys.

Such a criminally underrated system.

Also EB went through their first phase of importing games for it and selling them second hand. There was one day where we got a preowned carton shipment full of games including skies of arcadia legends, tales of symphonia, baten kaitos and a few other obscure ones I forget. This was well after they were discontinued though, so it was a goldmine for collectors.

I'm still annoyed we never got Ribbit King in stock, but I finally managed to find a copy of that this year on ebay. Frolf is ridiculous.

So this talk of old video games convinced me to get the old dirty and dusty Commodore 64 out of my garage that I found in there earlier this year. But it doesn't connect to my CRT. :( :( :(

Deeku

Agreed, Gamecube was amazing.

I regret never playing Doshin the Giant and that blocky paper animal eating game which I can't remember the name of.

commissar

Yeah the GameCube is such a nice machine. That and my NES are the only consoles I've bothered to keep.
Wind Waker, Killer 7, Eternal Darkness, MGS: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil4, Tales of Symphonia (still the only JRPG I've been able to finish), VIEWTIFUL JOE! I was sick soon after I got VJ and played most of it with my TV on a table by my bed lol.

Never really got into REmake. I own WarioWare too but never played much of it. Twisted was my crack :)

Deeku

Cubivore?
That's the one! There are a few other obscure games I really wanted to play back then, but they were either US or Japan only games.

I also regret trading in a lot of my GC games because I was still in school so didn't have much game money. I've been slowly buying some of my favourite games back, but it's just not the same.

markot

Banned
I guess it makes sense, they dont have to price match if they are the only ones who sell it and can charge the lolerable 'rrp'!

Choc

Banned
indeed they won't

EB has managed to hoodwink them again with a bundled item just like the Ocarina "bu bu bu bu we will lose sales and our investment in mario hats will be pointless"

Top Bottom