• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
looks like nintendo is punishing gametraders for ocarina

Gametraders needs to take them to fair trading and Nintendo is going to get its fucking arse handed to it

the fine runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars if proven. Given Nintendo won't ship them epoints cards anymore and wont give them zelda special edition

its pretty fucking clear they are being punished

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Oh... sorry for my earlier comment then. I don't really enjoy your "should have imported" posts...

Well, maybe a little...

Well remember what my tag says,,,,

indeed they won't

EB has managed to hoodwink them again with a bundled item just like the Ocarina "bu bu bu bu we will lose sales and our investment in mario hats will be pointless"

Ah maybe why they have nothing for Zelda then...

You in Sydney yet Vooks?

Tomorrow 1pm.

looks like nintendo is punishing gametraders for ocarina

Gametraders needs to take them to fair trading and Nintendo is going to get its fucking arse handed to it

the fine runs into the hundreds of thousands of dollars if proven. Given Nintendo won't ship them epoints cards anymore and wont give them zelda special edition

its pretty fucking clear they are being punished

The eShop cards are now done electronically just like iTunes, mobile credit. So unless GT have the facilities to do that they can't do it anyway. Nintendo Point cards have been discontinued.

Zelda, who knows what the hells going on there. I'd ask into it but haven't got a reply yet but about Mario.

MrSerrels

indeed they won't

EB has managed to hoodwink them again with a bundled item just like the Ocarina "bu bu bu bu we will lose sales and our investment in mario hats will be pointless"

Part of me thinks this break needs to happen so Nintendo know they can't bully small retailers, and to get their logistics up to scratch for global releases.

Just another area where Nintendo puts the blinkers on and pretends it's 2003.

My copy of Skyward Sword is getting delivered by courier to my work, probably on Friday. Mario, on the other hand, is with AusPost and will reach me when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the oceans run dry, when the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

Yagharek

indeed they won't

Look at it from a slightly different angle. GT is playing a dangerous game here.
Nintendo have finally improved their release scheduling to near parity with the rest of the EU/PAL and occasionally NTSC world. Hell, they brought out Xenoblade locally so it's impossible to complain right now.

GT are taking advantage of 1-2 week euro release time leads. EB/JB are too big to be impacted by it, but also highly competitive so they don't like to see anyone gain an edge over them as GT has done. So if GT keep up with the parallel imports, which legally they are fine to do, then it may have the impact that EB/JB start doing the same and we end up with a grey mass market for the big releases whenever there is a noticeable delay.

In that eventuality, GT lose any advantage they may have now, because whilst they still get the game early, so will the other dedicated players in the market.

I'm of the opinion that street date breaks will become trivial or rarer when we get games day and date with the rest of the world. When there is a delay, even only a week, that's when it has the potential for more ramifications than just selling uncharted 3 a few days early.

edit: FWIW, GT are or have been an excellent store in my opinion. Nintendo would do well to cultivate a good deal with them, seeing as they cater to a much more enthusiast crowd than does EB/JB. That way there would be an incentive for more people to shop there, and GT would not need to resort to parallel imports in order to gain a competitive advantage over the relative sized behemoths of jb/eb.

Choc

Banned
GT are taking advantage of 1-2 week euro release time leads. EB/JB are too big to be impacted by it, but also highly competitive so they don't like to see anyone gain an edge over them as GT has done. So if GT keep up with the parallel imports, which legally they are fine to do, then it may have the impact that EB/JB start doing the same and we end up with a grey mass market for the big releases whenever there is a noticeable delay.

In that eventuality, GT lose any advantage they may have now, because whilst they still get the game early, so will the other dedicated players in the market.

I'm of the opinion that street date breaks will become trivial or rarer when we get games day and date with the rest of the world. When there is a delay, even only a week, that's when it has the potential for more ramifications than just selling uncharted 3 a few days early.

and last week proved your point

MW3 didnt break, AC:R didnt break and SR3 didnt break. Skyrim also nearly made it but EB wanted to have a fucking cry and got its tampon in a knot.

why? worldwide launches.... (thats what i think anyway)

The question Nintendo needs to answer is why couldn't mario and zelda be here last friday like Europe? its a question they can't answer because there is no good reason.

Gazunta

All the inputs my TV has are RF, S-Video and composite.

The video cord for my C64 is none of these. It has 6 pins and looks like this:

http://imgur.com/ZmMSA
http://imgur.com/jBB1U
That's the D-SUB connector that goes into your C64. The other end of the cable should be either RCA or RF out.

BTW the second photo looks like you ripped a hole in your floor leading to a secret underworld of floating C64 objects. That is awesome.

Omikron

Selling my car, anyone interested in a MR2 (Jap import, turbo, 1990), mechanically really good, had major service (incl timing belt) in the last 12 months, just some weathered paint damage. :p

Yagharek

and last week proved your point

MW3 didnt break, AC:R didnt break and SR3 didnt break. Skyrim also nearly made it but EB wanted to have a fucking cry and got its tampon in a knot.

why? worldwide launches.... (thats what i think anyway)

Indeed. All we need in Australia is release dates that are either the same as in US/EU, or if there is a difference, it needs to be less than the shipping time for play asia. The close it gets to zavvi shipping time, the more people will import.

The question Nintendo needs to answer is why couldn't mario and zelda be here last friday like Europe? its a question they can't answer because there is no good reason.

Credit where credit is due, EU->AU delay is 6 days. It takes longer to post games here from the UK than the time difference between releases.

Nintendo have improved considerably in that regard. Especially compared to Super Paper Mario. Granted, they still aren't day and date like XBox has been since about 2004/Halo 2, but an improvement is there.

Choc

Banned
Vince

Mario Kart is out before the USA

and 1 day after Europe

why could they not achieve this with zelda and mario?

That's the D-SUB connector that goes into your C64. The other end of the cable should be either RCA or RF out.

BTW the second photo looks like you ripped a hole in your floor leading to a secret underworld of floating C64 objects. That is awesome.

But the cord is the same on both ends. :S

And lol at your comment :)

Yagharek

Vince

Mario Kart is out before the USA

and 1 day after Europe

why could they not achieve this with zelda and mario?

Maybe they could, but did you see the games that came out last week? It might just be a strategic release where their two games are the two big games this week. More prominence, and only a short delay.

Choc

Banned
Maybe they could, but did you see the games that came out last week? It might just be a strategic release where their two games are the two big games this week. More prominence, and only a short delay.

potentially

but Nintendo Europe went up against those big guns.

Yagharek

i do agree though that this week is pretty Much Nintendo and thats it.

Exactly. Also, Nintendo probably has a higher proportion of christmas buyers. Case in point: NSMB Wii. December releases are probably more likely to turn into gifts. November releases are in large part gunning for the #1 billing and sales records for first week on sale.

Personally, I think a six day delay is nothing. I know that day and date releases are desirable, but how many people are realistically going to get a game shipped in time to beat the local release by any significant margin?

I was playing OOT on N64 yesterday. Maybe this time I'll finish it.
I'm pretty sure I got stuck in the water temple thingy when I was little.

midonnay

:O

thats more egregious than me not finishing twilight princess....

you should be ashamed!!!

my bro has my gamecube...and my snes got stolen.

markot

Banned
Its weird that Bethesda can do simultaneous ww releases but the worlds biggest gaming company cant.

Also if they want to keep people in region, make the club nintendo stuff rock socks off.

Yagharek

:O

thats more egregious than me not finishing twilight princess....

you should be ashamed!!!

my bro has my gamecube...and my snes got stolen.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-24-49-en-70-13g.html

(Non affiliate link) - and it's backordered/out of stock. But keep an eye on it and pick it up. I got one last year in a bulk order of several other items. Only costs $3.50 [/goddamnlochnessmonster]

Its weird that Bethesda can do simultaneous ww releases but the worlds biggest gaming company cant.

Also if they want to keep people in region, make the club nintendo stuff rock socks off.

I'll take delays over non-functioning bug-ridden pre-alphas pieces of shit.

Just finished the single player of MW3 and loved it. It held together better than UC3 and is probably the best COD campaign since 4. How they managed that with such a fractured development i dont know but they did a rally good job there. I may take a break from single player games for a few days before starting Zelda.

Kritz

Banned
I feel like this might be a bad life decision, but I just ordered a Thermaltake Meka G1 keyboard.

fJ4VT.jpg

My G15 is getting a bit worn out, and I hear those mechanical keyboards are what all the uncool kids use.

Was actually gonna get myself a DAS Ultimate, but I wanted the media keys of the Thermaltake. Maybe for my 2012 computer build (if I get the money) I'll get one:

vAqxz.jpg

Top Bottom