• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Every USB device has a unique ID for that particular model, so even plugging in different devices after a non-functional one shouldn't affect it. The only exception to this are extremely cheap brands which clone IDs and thus cause problems.

That said, Windows sometimes ties USB/ID information to a particular port, so plugging a device into port 1, then later into port 2, it can think it's a new device and set it up as a new device.

Fredescu

Windows sometimes ties USB/ID information to a particular port
Pretty sure Windows always does that, as long as Windows recognises it as a unique port. Look under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB. Each USB device generates a VID key. You can see the DeviceDesc and LocationInformation keys that will tell you what the device is and which port it's plugged into. Deleting all the VID keys was a pretty common troubleshooting step when USB support and drivers were shitty in the Win9x days.

The device that screwed everything up was a USB speaker / mic set.

It just seems to change too many settings.. so when other USB devices are plugged in theyre just ... not working properly, settings are off in many programs and so on.
Yeah sounds like your computer has aligned that port to be speakers rather than to act as a USB port. Might be from not doing that Safely Remove USB Device thing.

Going to set up my XBMC correctly tonight.

Can anyone provide advice on a good skin to use and scripts i should get etc.

Also currently i was going to install it onto my media laptop in lounge room which is connected to the tv, can i set this up better somehow? Can i make my laptop automatically boot into xbmc and then just make it sleep after a set time period.

Thanks heaps for help

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yeah sounds like your computer has aligned that port to be speakers rather than to act as a USB port. Might be from not doing that Safely Remove USB Device thing.

Yes I suspect this is it... hwo does one resolve..

as for what EVL said to do.. I didn't even know he had said to do anything :( so i dont know what he means in regards to what i need to do (i r noob)

Fredescu

as for what EVL said to do.. I didn't even know he had said to do anything :( so i dont know what he means in regards to what i need to do (i r noob)

He said this:
If you need to rollback, you should be able to find USB port something or other in the device manager. You could try to roll back if the option is there or maybe uninstall then scan for hardware changes and hope it reinstalls something that works.
I would skip straight to the uninstall part.

Pretty sure Windows always does that, as long as Windows recognises it as a unique port.
Quite possibly/probably. It might only do it per device (e.g. two ports might be considered as one), but that'd probably depend on the how the hardware is handled.

Going to set up my XBMC correctly tonight.

Can anyone provide advice on a good skin to use and scripts i should get etc.
Personally I use Aeon Nox, with everything set to work horizontally (e.g. selecting categories, or individual movies/shows, or individual episodes) as I like consistency. I use the "big" something-or-other view with movies.

Can i make my laptop automatically boot into xbmc and then just make it sleep after a set time period.
XBMCbuntu will reportedly boot straight into XBMC. If you're on Windows, just copy the shortcut into in the startup folder. You can set XBMC to shutdown/sleep/etc after inactivity in the settings.

Jezabel

playing amalur last night and hit this weird difficulty spike, suddenly encountering mountain trolls and crazy trees.

also i enjoyed the first sword of truth book, was looking for some light entertainment while on holiday later this year. i work in a bookshop so i knew all about the bad wrap they get before i bought them.

Choc

Banned
So gillard won't say if she will sack Rudd

if she does he will probably quit parliament and her entire government collapses due to no majority

edit: also

JESSICA WRIGHT 1:57pm Senior ministers are urging the Prime Minister to declare the leadership open on Tuesday.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That party is just full of morons. Libs are going to win by a fucking mile at the next election.

But anyway.

Everyone is getting a vita, curse that shiny new product. Choc, Ship me one for free and i will review it for ausgaf (there will be no good games i'm sure of it!).

I wonder if it will die as quickly as the 3DS did for ausgaf. I'm certain a bunch of you guys picked one up along with SSF4 and after a week, the 3DS and games were never mentioned again.

Typical ausgaf fashion I guess :D

midonnay

Gillard is dead woman walking....

they can make a whole bruhaha to damage rudd's standing....but it won't do any thing to improve their primary vote.

infact I think some mps are alittle delusional. Saw an interview where an optimistic fellow was still saying that voters will change their mind when they get the tax cuts....

ahh no. Voters don't trust gillard :/

Rudd definitely won't quit.

He'll do a Keating and move to the backbench and continue his guerilla war.

Salazar

also i enjoyed the first sword of truth book, was looking for some light entertainment while on holiday later this year. i work in a bookshop so i knew all about the bad wrap they get before i bought them.

I've been dedicatedly trolling those books for years, and I still enjoy them.

I can't wait for the next one. Terry intimated that the novella would be out around mid 2012 and the book would be a Christmas thing.

Choc

Banned
Gillard is dead woman walking....

they can make a whole bruhaha to damage rudd's standing....but it won't do any thing to improve their primary vote.

infact I think some mps are alittle delusional. Saw an interview where an optimistic fellow was still saying that voters will change their mind when they get the tax cuts....

ahh no. Voters don't trust gillard :/

Rudd definitely won't quit.

He'll do a Keating and move to the backbench and continue his guerilla war.

This is exactly right

Gillard could give everyone $2000 and she still wouldn't win or gain a higher rating.

The electorate has already made their minds up

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So anyone here got any style guides I can look at from video game sites ._.

Deeku

It's been a good few days for announcements. Idle Thumbs returning, 999 Sequel confirmed for NA (though us PAL dudes are screwed without a Vita or PAL version), Persona 4 Arena is confirmed for localisation, and XSeed confirmed for Steam?
Had a browse of gaming during lunch and ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV!!!!!!!!!!

Great day indeed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone know if telephone hold music is actually created for that purpose or if it's just old music from the 1500s? :D Free to use music i guess.

Fredescu

A bank I used to work at had a CD labelled "royalty free hold music" in a CD player in the data center. I guess that doesn't answer your question.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
A bank I used to work at had a CD labelled "royalty free hold music" in a CD player in the data center. I guess that doesn't answer your question.

I'm guessing it's just music that's gone past it's protection date? I can't imagine someone hiring an orchestra to pump out a few songs for hold music. Although stranger things have happened I guess.

Jezabel

I've been dedicatedly trolling those books for years, and I still enjoy them.

I can't wait for the next one. Terry intimated that the novella would be out around mid 2012 and the book would be a Christmas thing.

so in that case my question is, does the quality stay consistent?

Fredescu

I'm guessing it's just music that's gone past it's protection date? I can't imagine someone hiring an orchestra to pump out a few songs for hold music. Although stranger things have happened I guess.
I think there is enough "background" style music in the world without having to create more specifically for hold music, but I could see a big company hiring some session musicians to put together an extended take on their jingle or something.

Had a browse of gaming during lunch and ETRIAN ODYSSEY IV!!!!!!!!!!

Great day indeed.

Whaaa... awesome!

That's exactly what happens. The music might be out of copyright but recordings aren't and need to be licensed. It's not just hold music but there's huge pay once -use often collections of royalty free music for film production etc. The strangest one i can think of was when Tom ellard (severed heads) put out an 8 hour long collection of hold music he had written. Um.. yay?

Fredescu

There's nothing wrong with shallow, facile entertainment per se, but if your game doesn't resemble a spreadsheet, you probably have some growing up to do!

midonnay

I don't mind waiting music....

its the ones with waiting music AND talking adverts inbetween that give me the shits....

Hard to space out when you hear human voices that isn't the operator every 20 seconds.

Fredescu

If you want Gridiron, you should watch Gridiron.
I don't want Gridiron, but you know what sucks? When you're at the game watching an exciting patch of play, a player goes over the line in a bundle of tacklers, and literally no one at the ground knows what's going to happen. There's a muted cheer as it goes to the video ref to be checked frame by frame to see if it's breaking any rules. It takes the wind out of the sails of what should be an exciting moment. Minutes later, people cheer at the scoreboard.

How many other sports have such a disconnect between the action of points being scored, and the decision being made? Cricket has it for wickets, but not runs at least.

So, today was pretty interesting. First time stepping into a court, as part of jury duty...which didn't end up going anywhere, so I'm needed back there tomorrow.

Though I tell ya Hot Shots Golf makes for a fun, if not rage inducing, way to pass the time while being called up.

Dead Man

I don't want Gridiron, but you know what sucks? When you're at the game watching an exciting patch of play, a player goes over the line in a bundle of tacklers, and literally no one at the ground knows what's going to happen. There's a muted cheer as it goes to the video ref to be checked frame by frame to see if it's breaking any rules. It takes the wind out of the sails of what should be an exciting moment. Minutes later, people cheer at the scoreboard.

How many other sports have such a disconnect between the action of points being scored, and the decision being made? Cricket has it for wickets, but not runs at least.

Not really a great fan of rugby, but it seems like you could keep the current grounding rule and get rid of all the bullshit around it? I know that will never happen too, everyone seems to love their half hour of video replay these days.

Top Bottom