• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

markot

Banned

Salazar

What do I have to do to my Galaxy S2 to ensure that I don't get taxed like a Spanish colony for some bullshit internet/data whateverthefuck ?

Any options to tick, stuff to disable ?

I am about as familiar with smartphones as Kerrby is with adult social expectations.

What do I have to do to my Galaxy S2 to ensure that I don't get taxed like a Spanish colony for some bullshit internet/data whateverthefuck ?

Any options to tick, stuff to disable ?

I am about as familiar with smartphones as Kerrby is with adult social expectations.

What is your quota? I don't think I have used more 500mb a month, even when we didn't have internet here.

Just install an app for your carrier that tracks data usage. Easy.

Fuck, I'd be tempted to get a second one.

Anything else on sale?

TimeZone vouchers!

Also your mom has a 2 for Tuesday special.
2 cupcakes for the price of one! I want one with sprinkles.

The satisfaction of aborting a family meal that was meant to be a cheap change to the menu but turned out to be an abomination and turning to McDonalds is a great feeling. Much better than mince stroganoff with penne pasta at the least.

New Remo theme tune sounds fantastic. Makes me want to go and find my NOLF disc.

Yoshiya

Something pathetic like 200 MB a month. For real.

I've just switched Network Data Mode off.

I installed 3G watchdog or something on my Incredible S to keep within 250MB. Seems to work well, and it conveniently places itself in the notification shade for quick reference.

Turn background data off, and make sure the Market only auto-updates apps when on Wi-Fi.

Turn avatars and images off using the Secondapps GAF webapp.

I'm out of advice.

I pay a little extra to get my data bumped up to a couple of gig and never come close to reaching it, but even then I just keep Data Network Mode off when not actually using it. Not only does it make sure you don't go over your cap inadvertently, it stops it from sucking up battery unnecessarily.

Danoss

The difference in battery life is quite significant if you only turn data on when you need it. Most people are quite surprised.

The Data Usage app in ICS is really good. Not only does it show your usage, on both wireless and mobile but it breaks it down by app on both too. You can also restrict apps not to use data in the background on mobile if you want, or force it to stop if you hit your cap.

Omikron

Wireless whenever possible. I have 500 a month and I would struggle to use 200 with wireless at gone and work.

Also, make sure your galaxy firmware is up to date, 2.3.4ish, included some major battery life tweeks.

Axiom

Rayman and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance are $33 when you buy a Vita at EB.

As I was dumb enough to keep my Vita pre-order and I planned to pick up Rayman at launch, this works out pretty nicely.

Still no Internet. If it weren't for this phone and my stockpile of idle thumbs episodes i
would be productive by now.

Sure you would :p

UQ's server has overloaded =/ I've been trying to sign on for a tutorial for over an hour now... This happens every semester, so you'd think they'd fix it or something.

Jintor

By the way, it's twenty twelve and steam's offline mode is still a complete piece of crap.

I just love how trying to start steam in offline mode is not actually possible because you can't do that action without being connected to the Internet. Good job, steam

Shaneus

I should have pre-Amazoned :(
Amaz0wned?

By the way, it's twenty twelve and steam's offline mode is still a complete piece of crap.
So fucking frustrating. Unless they've got something planned where they make EVERYTHING playable with a controller by way of mouse emulation or something fancy like that, then there's no excuses. Create a d/b with a list of controller-happy games (starting with the most popular first), implement navigation of the Steam game-list with the big icons... that's it. Not hard.

Salazar

UQ's server has overloaded =/ I've been trying to sign on for a tutorial for over an hour now... This happens every semester, so you'd think they'd fix it or something.

Oh for the days of signing up on bits of paper in the hall.

I'm so happy all my Si-Net stuff seems to be automated these days.

Shaneus

Man, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing horrible data throughput in Melbourne's CBD on Telstra. Everyone I talk to is complaining about horrible slowness for at least the last 6 months or so. Thinking I might just drop a few bucks on a Voda or Optus SIM just to test what their speed's like. I haven't had fuck-awesome speeds from Telstra *anywhere* (including outside of Melbourne) for a long, long time now.

Agyar

The difference in battery life is quite significant if you only turn data on when you need it. Most people are quite surprised.

Switching data on and off is a thing I don't ever want to have to do. Same with disabling push notifications or cloud syncing. Battery life without those features just isn't a relevant benchmark for me anymore.

Danoss

also Telstra is broken in Sydney shane!

It's fine for me, about the same speed as my ADSL at home.

Switching data on and off is a thing I don't ever want to have to do. Same with disabling push notifications or cloud syncing. Battery life without those features just isn't a relevant benchmark for me anymore.

It is at least handy to know that's where a large portion of power goes, besides the screen. If you're low on battery life and need to extend it in case of emergency or whatever, knowing your options is helpful.

Dungeon Defenders DLC looks awesome! Shame I couldn't get into the game.

Same for me, I charge it every night and it is never less than 50% even with heavy image viewing and music playback. ONly plan on having it for 24 months so not worried about the long term effects. Horrible way to look at products but hey, that is how the system works.

Man, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing horrible data throughput in Melbourne's CBD on Telstra. Everyone I talk to is complaining about horrible slowness for at least the last 6 months or so. Thinking I might just drop a few bucks on a Voda or Optus SIM just to test what their speed's like. I haven't had fuck-awesome speeds from Telstra *anywhere* (including outside of Melbourne) for a long, long time now.

Never had a problem with Optus. Internet browsing on my phone is better than my ADSL the last few nights, no problems downloading stuff but regular Chrome browsing is atrocious. Seems to be dropping in and out constantly.

Choc

Banned
I thought Choc just meant it's broken *as well*, not that it's the source of the problem. But maybe it is? Via Twitter, Telstra just said it was "congestion" or something.

as well yes.

Telstra is experiencing MASSIVE packet loss from what i can tell

In case you guys having trouble signing up for your uni courses are interested, a few years ago I chatted with one of the guys who administered one of the enrolment servers where I work.

Usually the server had 24 CPUs but at enrolment time they leased more for a total of 48. The load* on servers, which was usually 0.7 or so, went up to around 120 or more.

I know it doesn't help when you just want to sign up for your damned course, but there's probably not a lot the server admins can do.

*If load on Unix servers hits 1.00 that means when one process finishes, there is another waiting in the wings to execute straight away. Normally you wouldn't want more than 0.6 to 0.7 on a busy server. A bit simplistic but good enough.

Deeku

I'm not getting congestion... I don't have a goddamn connection. Not even a dial tone.
The last time that happened to me, it was because I plugged my phone line into a cat5 socket. But that's probably not the source of your problem lol.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Oh and to compensate for the lack of the 4GB card that they're offering preorders now, we also get a $20 off coupon for Vita accessories and games after the console ships!
I already ordered a 16gb card from playasia. It better be here before I have the vita!

The wait between now and next Thursday when SSX is out is far too long.

Played a bunch of SSX3 over the weekend. I even went so far to buy SSX World Tour on PSN and SSX3 holds up far better.

Still wondering if I can wait 2 weeks to get it from ozgameshop or buy local next week.

I just love how trying to start steam in offline mode is not actually possible because you can't do that action without being connected to the Internet. Good job, steam

I thought I was the only one with that problem. The only game I can play when steam is down is katawa shojo, which is great, but sometimes I'm in the mood for other things. Can you play that to pass the time Jint?

Oh for the days of signing up on bits of paper in the hall.

I'm so happy all my Si-Net stuff seems to be automated these days.

Woah, Trying to get into that popular tute must have been a nightmare.

WB Shanshan!

Its good to be back :D

In case you guys having trouble signing up for your uni courses are interested, a few years ago I chatted with one of the guys who administered one of the enrolment servers where I work.

Damn, I didn't realise they'd increased the capacity and there is still a problem :( At least they're doing something to try and fix the issues.

Damn, I didn't realise they'd increased the capacity and there is still a problem :( At least they're doing something to try and fix the issues.
Didn't mean to mislead. Your uni isn't likely to be where I work. I was relaying the experience of the server admins where I work as it may have shed some light on why things are performing poorly.

Jintor

I thought I was the only one with that problem. The only game I can play when steam is down is katawa shojo, which is great, but sometimes I'm in the mood for other things. Can you play that to pass the time Jint?
Already hundred percent it. But I have a backlog of stuff to catch up on... I was playing rhythm heaven today. Now I'm sorting perler beads...

Omikron

Ok, so my wife entered child in the bonds baby search thingo, anyway, after I got the link, randoming other peoples kids and oh my it is providing the lols as far as names are concerned. Best so far?

Jypzee-Lee Helena

Also found an Anakin too.

Edit: So many people doing the shitty selective colouring stuff, just fuck off.

Ok, so my wife entered child in the bonds baby search thingo, anyway, after I got the link, randoming other peoples kids and oh my it is providing the lols as far as names are concerned. Best so far?

Jypzee-Lee Helena

Also found an Anakin too.

Edit: So many people doing the shitty selective colouring stuff, just fuck off.

Oh when can you start voting? I gotta pimp that thing out again this year apparently.

I should have thought of using the colour filters, my son is doomed to be unloved!

My sons initials are ORL which I found amusing. When he is obviously intent on babbling a story to me I look at him wide eyed and say ORLY?

He finds it hilarious even if he has no idea what it means.

Daww, Reptile your kid is adorable. Omi needs to post more cute stories and/or pictures.

Already hundred percent it. But I have a backlog of stuff to catch up on... I was playing rhythm heaven today. Now I'm sorting perler beads...

I have a question. My friend said there is a secret ending where Kenji's feminist conspiracy theories were right all along. I wasn't really convinced but he showed me a screen shot. Can you confirm the existence of this ending?

Rhythm heaven is great, or it would be if I had any sense of rhythm :p

Didn't mean to mislead. Your uni isn't likely to be where I work. I was relaying the experience of the server admins where I work as it may have shed some light on why things are performing poorly.

Nah, but they probably do it here too.

Update: finally on. Only tute left leaves me with a four day week (rather than three days) =/ oh good.

Top Bottom