• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
First rule of thumb when asking for PC advice.

What's your budget young man?!

Then it can get all sorts of crazy. Depending on a larger budget you could just build a brand new PC, With that new PC smell.

If your machine is overheating then you probably need another fan or two thrown inside the case.

Let's assume my budget needs to stay within the three figures zone.

If a new PC makes sense, I'm happy to make that leap. I'm just so out of the building-PC loop at the moment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, PC Case Gear seems fairly extensive. Good prices, I assume?

markot

Banned
Should I just wait for the new intels or go for a new mobo/cpu now >.>?

(I also need a new roomy case, some suggestions? My old one required 'modifications' with a hammer to get my radeon monster to fit >.<;)

My system is pretty similar to yours, Rez, Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GS, SATA HDD. I've been thinking about upgrading this year also. Are there game-changing new CPUs or GPUs in the pipeline or is it all just incremental updates scheduled in for this year?

That said, most games run at 1680x1050 just fine for me. I don't care about rock solid 60 fps or having to play every game at 1920x1200.

markot

Banned
My system is pretty similar to yours, Rez, Q6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GS, SATA HDD. I've been thinking about upgrading this year also. Are there game-changing new CPUs or GPUs in the pipeline or is it all just incremental updates scheduled in for this year?

That said, most games run at 1680x1050 just fine for me. I don't care about rock solid 60 fps or having to play every game at 1920x1200.

There are 3D CHIPS form intel coming in a few months.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There are 3D CHIPS form intel coming in a few months.

They aren't really 3D chips, Just the transistor layout is 3D. There's nothing really special about them aside from that.

You will probably get, I dunno, a 20% increase in speed over sandy bridge? Which is certainly nice and all, That really depends on how much they are going to sell them for. They will be more efficient and use less power as they move into 22nm. They also include PCI 3.0 which is nice too, although not something people have been dying to have.

Some leaked benchmarks can be seen here from back in december - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne..._specifications_and_q2_2012_release_date_leak

Choc

Banned
A lot of key people are coming out in favor of rudd suc has the immigration minister

backbenchers could flop based on the ministers declarations so no one knows

I honestly don't think JG thinks she has the numbers she says she has. But i don't think Rudd has enough yet either

if JG stays, it will be by a nose, not a total decisive victory and because of that this will keep going.

Look at Keating vs Hawke for the same thing.

Deeku

What does your tracking status say?

My latest is
Processed at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA 11:52
Departed Facility in LOS ANGELES GATEWAY - USA LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA 13:43

You might have missed the plane! Or, they haven't updated it properly yet.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
My Vita games are in Hong Kong (B2G1 Rayman, Hot Shots and Lumines), my Vita hasn't updated since it left the US :(

Fogz

:O

Mine is still on a plane and probably won't make it in time for delivery tomorrow:(

Mine is coming from Hong Kong though, not the US. Its still a US Vita though.

It shipped yesterday so I am pretty happy with the service.

EDIT: Its just been shipped in my direction so fairly certain I should see it tomorrow :)

with all this tracking talk, I'm wondering if there's a way to have updates on Rudd's flight home. Like inFamous 2.

"The KRudd is 1500 Miles from New Parliament House"

markot

Banned
The more I read about Rudd the less I like him >.< the dudes been douching since he got kicked out....

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3847892.html Especially if parts of the media have been 'in on it' >.>

No one likes a sore loser kevin.

Hopefully Gillard crushes him like some kind of weird fetish movie. And then she picks him up, and throws him out of a parliament house window.

hamchan

The more I read about Rudd the less I like him >.< the dudes been douching since he got kicked out....

Eh, he's always been a little, Harry Potter lookalike, douche to me. It's just that I think he's pretty excellent at speeches (while Gillard is super dreadful) and the way he carries himself, convincing me he's the best leader out of any option we have.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Maybe I should go on a cruise, Although i totally expect that to cost a fortune as well and i may come back with some sort of sexual disease.

jambo

So telstras nationwide outage was caused by a DODO router

WTF

From WP

"I spoke directly to a 'backbone engineer' who told me that Dodo were the cause of this outage by upsetting the backbone route table after injecting some routes into the network."

A bit late but Bali really is what you make it. Some people spend the whole time in kuta getting drunk on cheap booze and little else, but I guess they're having a good time. If you, like me, can't stand arrogant bogans there are lots of smaller towns around the island with less foreigners( or nicer ones). I really liked ubud, with the monkeys and stuff. Food is also delicious and abundant.

Vietnam is even nicer though, especially hoian and na trang.

Maybe I should go on a cruise, Although i totally expect that to cost a fortune as well and i may come back with some sort of sexual disease.
There are singles cruises which are pretty much Phuket and Kuta but on a boat. No idea what they're actually like, but cruises in general are pretty much my idea of hell.

This article is one of the best reads (it's long!) on cruises you'll ever find.

Dead Man

Stupid Falcons and their stupid sealed transmissions. Fucking fuckity fuck. I should not have to go to the bloody mechanic to check the bloody trans fluid level. Fuckers.

I'm hoping the Double Fine Adventure is really a reimagining of this. We had it on C64 but my dad first played it on a Monash University mainframe of some sort.
Could be incredible if they meld the old style with the Lucasarts style but with 2012 graphics, speed and UI.

I want to get my PC running again, but as of right now it has a fairly dated 9800GTX in it (for 1680x1050 gaming) and a (still decent?) Q6600 quad-core.
Nice! I had the same setup, Q6600 with no name 4Gb of RAM and a 9800GTX+ (replaced my 6600GTX). I threw in a 460GTX at the end of 2010 to push up a bit since it was around $220.

Currently running 2500k, 8Gb of RAM, 128Gb m4 SSD, 460GTX and playing everything at pretty much max on a 1920x1080 monitor.

On my way back from lunch, I saw this guy walking around wearing huge headphones and carrying some mp3 player with a bulky ass amp strapped to it. lol audiophiles!

Also, is anyone else getting Last Story? Tell me if I should buy it because I have no clue what the game is apart from being a jrpg.
Shaneus! Pretty sure he uses earbuds though.

The Last Story! Do you like the Gooch? Do you like old Final Fantasy? Do you like Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey? Because TLS is the partner game to Xenoblade in making the Wii the best console this generation for traditional jRPG's. YOU NEED TO BUY THIS GAME.

Just wanted to say that's the most adorable pic reptile!

Not voting for your kid though lol

I did
Thanks dude! A kitten with mittens will not not freeze to death in the coming winter.

Let's assume my budget needs to stay within the three figures zone.

If a new PC makes sense, I'm happy to make that leap. I'm just so out of the building-PC loop at the moment.
Holy shit, PC Case Gear seems fairly extensive. Good prices, I assume?
This is your best bet. Make up a build, print it out and make local stores price match it. Postage for a full PC would be around $35 at most.

I recommend the HAF912 case, cheap with great airflow and front USB3.0 ports. Throw in a HX650 PSU and you will be set for life. Modular cables makes it a breeze to hook everything up.

Should I just wait for the new intels or go for a new mobo/cpu now >.>?
Ivy Bridge keeps getting pushed back and is really only for enthusiasts. No pressure to drop the price of the 2500k either.

Same with video cards as NVIDIA pushed their top tier cards to the end of the year so it will be interesting to see how the mid-range cards stack up. Was hoping for the 660Ti to be a big step forward as the 560Ti is what I have my eye on at the moment but isn't a big enough step up from the 460 for around $250. No need to buy a top of the range GPU unless you are running a massive screen.

Yeah a cruise is a decent idea, you can get plenty of them half price. My grandparents have been on three now where they have offered them a 70% discount to rebook like 9 months in advance.

Mine is coming from Hong Kong though, not the US. Its still a US Vita though.

It shipped yesterday so I am pretty happy with the service.

EDIT: Its just been shipped in my direction so fairly certain I should see it tomorrow :)

Did you get it from superufo.com by any chance?

legend166

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3847892.html Especially if parts of the media have been 'in on it' >.>

No one likes a sore loser kevin.

Hopefully Gillard crushes him like some kind of weird fetish movie. And then she picks him up, and throws him out of a parliament house window.

That's an amazing story.

I really hope he doesn't win.

Me too!

I just payed $380 USD for a Wifi Vita and 32GB memory card from superufo.com.

Did I get ripped off? I mean just the Wifi Vita console in AUS is $370 USD! -____-

I waited so long because I really shouldn&#8217;t&#8217; be spending and money at the moment! I have a $16,000 AU dollar holiday to pay off! (don&#8217;t ask) It sucks, but they had the 32GB memory card for $80 USD but it sold out. The next best price was $100 USD - so I took that. I checked the official gamestop site for the US and that's what they go for anyway, so all good. Saved quite a bit. I got both Rayman and Uncharted at EB for $100 AU too!

EDIT: Oh yeah, the $380 USD includes the cheapest shipping cost too - will take 2 weeks to a month! o_O

Salazar

I have a $16,000 AU dollar holiday to pay off! (don&#8217;t ask)

I won't ask, but what the fuck

A question of my own - Do I go to this prospectus presentation, or do I regretfully decline ?

This thesis will examine the sexual politics of the anus and its representation in popular culture in Australia

Top Bottom