• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Salazar

In simplified form, it's basically just social anxiety

Moi aussi, mon compagnon d'armes.

No idea. I tend to drink, talk about myself, or both. Or hide. Which is a positively fiendish reaction.

Bought a jacket. Need clothes to fill in the chasm between singlets and dinner suits.

DNE0F.jpg

Horrible picture of a jacket. Put it on and take a photo, will look a million times better to see what it is like. Also why the colour change for the lower half?

Gas seems horrifically expensive.
No way! Gas heating is MUCH MUCH cheaper than electric heating! Don't let any one tell you otherwise.

I know.

Salazar

Why will I happily throw money at LEGO or Kickstarter Projects but agonise over getting some goddamn jeans?

I tend to find that the assistance of an attractive shop assistant rules out, with a sound like the clanking of fate, the possibility of me buying anything at all.

This predicament is magnified a billion times where jeans are concerned.

You sure like your beige jackets Sal!

Linen in either beige or navy blue figures in my gene code.

Hey Jeddumars welcome to Aus :D

Salazar has a seemingly large coat collection for a queenslander, though I myself have about 4 hoodies so probably not one to talk =/

In simplified form, it's basically just social anxiety; constant analysis of various possible topics of conversation, wondering how people would react to that, and consequentially saying or doing nothing and then just sort of sitting or standing there in silence. The only topics I really find easy to talk about are pop-culture and I don't think that's a sustainable field of play.

That said I really had a good chat with someone I only just met at the ME3 event, though a lot of that was admittedly about games.

I dunno.

Oh, I also have a constant fear I'm interrupting people if I try and contact them so what often happens is that I do not :T

:( I'm a bit like that myself. I'll try and rehearse lines to say and weird stuff, otherwise I can't even make coherent sentences. I wonder if there's a higher percentage of people like that on gaf. Being able to think about what I say and type is magical. Once I get to know people its fine, but its probably not the best headspace for someone studying foreign languages to be in. With a little bit of confidence we'd probably be fine, just not sure how to get there :(

Jintor

If I ever get off my arse and make something, I'd like to say something about the loneliness of crowds. It's a feeling I constantly get and I'm never quite sure if anybody else ever shares it.

Salazar

Salazar has a seemingly large coat collection for a queenslander, though I myself have about 4 hoodies so probably not one to talk =/

I move from air-conditioned space to air-conditioned space.

I blew a large hole in my holiday money last year because the Paul Smith shop was just so ridiculously nice.

You are correct, Rep, in saying that coats look dreadful photographed without bodies in them.

Speaking of Ten's breakfast show, of the 30mins or so I caught of it this morning.. wow it was atrociously bad. It's full of terrible gimmicks and the lead host is an intolerable douche. Winning formula?

I thought Sunrise was unbearable drivel and large numbers of people seemed to appreciate it somehow. I don't know what breakfast tv is for except for waiting rooms and people in hospital.

oipic

In simplified form, it's basically just social anxiety; constant analysis of various possible topics of conversation, wondering how people would react to that, and consequentially saying or doing nothing and then just sort of sitting or standing there in silence. The only topics I really find easy to talk about are pop-culture and I don't think that's a sustainable field of play.

That said I really had a good chat with someone I only just met at the ME3 event, though a lot of that was admittedly about games.

I dunno.

Oh, I also have a constant fear I'm interrupting people if I try and contact them so what often happens is that I do not :T

Wow. It's a self-centred view, I know, but I really thought all of this was 'just me'. Damn. Strangely, I'm struggling more with this as I get older, too. Thinking too much, analysis paralysis etc. I'm forever chastising myself for either not offering enough in the way of conversation, or conversely, saying something stupid when I do.

That same shit generally kicks in when, say, posting here, too. Lurking is much harder in real life, though, and there's no backspace key.

Jint, I hear you. Don't be too hard on yourself.

[note to self: perhaps don't post when tired and emotional at the end of a hard day!]

Jintor

I mean part of the problem is that it's not something you really talk about to people, in real life in any case. I only have a few people I'd feel comfortable discussing this kind of thing with and, uh, they're not all like me.

*shrugs*

Ventron

Speaking of Ten's breakfast show, of the 30mins or so I caught of it this morning.. wow it was atrociously bad. It's full of terrible gimmicks and the lead host is an intolerable douche. Winning formula?

You're talking about Paul Henry, the guy with the glasses? I watched him while staying in New Zealand, he is fucking AMAZING. He wasn't as funny as he was in NZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsjJkmnaqe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvN6KuDvTB4#t=232s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyfzTJpVtaI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXE3yRgmZ5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRF3uJSNsM#t=54s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x1G_e_0GIw

Maybe he's getting used to the new setting? Dunno.

Deeku

I move from air-conditioned space to air-conditioned space.

I blew a large hole in my holiday money last year because the Paul Smith shop was just so ridiculously nice.

Hip, yet elegant! Wish I looked older so I can wear a jacket like that.

I'm mostly a black tshirt, jeans & sneakers guy. But if I'm going out somewhere, I'll break out my crazy japanese designer dress shirts and look all hipster n stuff!

:( I'm a bit like that myself. I'll try and rehearse lines to say and weird stuff, otherwise I can't even make coherent sentences. I wonder if there's a higher percentage of people like that on gaf. Being able to think about what I say and type is magical. Once I get to know people its fine, but its probably not the best headspace for someone studying foreign languages to be in. With a little bit of confidence we'd probably be fine, just not sure how to get there :(

Fake it. It might seem like a bit of a joke but it works. View it as if you are acting how a confident person acts in conversation. Over time you wont have to consciously act, you'll just be confident. Also, stop over-thinking things. A lot of conversation is made up of throwaway remarks. People aren't judging you based on everything you say.

The end of the grey was amazing. Bit of an "oh shit" moment, but then I guess the whole movie was like that. There was that one bit where one guy said "oww, my knee" and laughed rather loudly in the cinema because my mind just went back to this video.

Fake it. It might seem like a bit of a joke but it works. View it as if you are acting how a confident person acts in conversation. Over time you wont have to consciously act, you'll just be confident. Also, stop over-thinking things. A lot of conversation is made up of throwaway remarks. People aren't judging you based on everything you say.

Hm.. I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it goes :D

guidop

You're talking about Paul Henry, the guy with the glasses? I watched him while staying in New Zealand, he is fucking AMAZING. He wasn't as funny as he was in NZ:

So he has the same Alan Jones in the closet thing going for him. Karl & Kochie would have played that innuendo when the young light haired guy "dropped his ginger nuts", "he's standing on a box" is no where near as sharp. Is it a laughing at him not with him thing?

Salazar

Yeah, I thought that Henry bloke was famous - to the extent that he is - for being a knob.

Sherlock continues to be deeply entertaining tv.

FJVLv.gif
Wjz8G.gif
CumxO.gif

Axiom

IMG_20120223_224405.jpg

Much like with my Dreamcast I'm going to support this to the bitter end, failure or not its exactly what I wanted it to be.

Of course getting this is why I couldn't afford to have all my supplies for the first days of my design course. I'm dumb.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rocket Chainsaw beta went live today (or yesterday to be more specific). You can check it out here. Still needs a lot of work (there was a bit of a debacle with the website design that I wont go into), but we're getting there. We mostly needed to go live asap as publishers are supporting us out the gate with code and goodies, which is incredibly pleasing. No website = no reviews, and that makes for unhappy pubs.

We're running a comp for The Last Story. If you're interested in winning a copy check it out.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Haha, I'm the same as Jintor, im mostly silent in public. Even the mini bosses wife at work asked him if I ever actually talk, she has visited a few times.

For the most part it's about not thinking what you have to say or share is relevant to these specific people. Everyone has different interests and most people have no issue spouting out bullshit even if the other person has zero interest in it. Others, like myself, assume to know what the other person is interested in so we only pick specific topics to join in with. I'm not going to talk about say, starcraft 2 esport shit to my boss because it's not relevant to his interests. It logically makes no sense to do so.

The problem it seems to come down to is fear. You end up scared thinking that the things you are interested in, the things you know, will just bore the other person. What am I meant to talk to a cute girl on the train about? Starcraft? The tv I'm watching? The music I listen to? That I'm a gamer and pc enthusiast? Neither of these are all that interesting and straight off the bat they paint you as a specific individual. One who probably doesn't enjoy going out or social interaction all that much and is just a little too nerdy. Not starwars or star trek nerdy but who knows, maybe that's in your closet!

In a world when everyone who is thrown into the public light is seen as a specfic character, someone who has that typical good looks, charm and general outgoing feeling, it's hard to persuade an individual that you are just as awesome as they are even though you are different.

So you begin to analyze everything you say and question it's importance. Which sentence makes sense in this conversation, how will they respond, can I continue the flow of conversation after they have answered. Those are the 3 big issues that go on in your head as you sit there and listen.

It's frustrating to not have anything to contribute to whatever is going on because you don't know the topic of discussion. You can fake it as don has suggested but it is frightenly hard. In reality people are judging you but not for what you think. A lack of understanding of xyz isn't going to get you in trouble, just show an interest in getting to know more about it. That will win you brownie points, even though you are probably faking it, just like other person is.

For me it mostly has to do with fear. I have no relationship with my folks because I'm afraid of what they will say. My parents are pretty darn awesome, so I should have nothing to fear and yet I do. Its just one of those odd things that exists within my head. I'm sure it started once high school began. I was the class clown in primary, the funny silly one who would never shut up in class. I was the sprinter who could keep up and beat kids 1 or 2 years older. I totally still have the school record after 18 years, I got told I had it in year 10, so I'm just going to pretend I still do!! Once I hit high school that all changed. I could still be funny but it was just rare, I ultimately shut down. The sad thing is I don't believe I have evolved from this state, I'm still that kid who just started high school.

So my 13 year old brain has no answer or solution for you. If it ever grows up and finds one I will certainly let you know.

As a side idea, not a solution. You could always keep a journal of specific interactions that happen during the day. The more you write down and look at it the more your bound to see the flaws in what you were thinking at those specific times. Train your brain to notice what's going on and how to join in. Something like that.

Shaneus

I dunno.

People dig confidence in people, that's pretty much a fact. It's not easy, but once you stop caring what people think, it becomes a lot easier to avoid self-sensoring and even easier to open up and participate.

As I was leaving a bar with friends last weekend and saying goodbye to some others, I said my well-wishes to the girlfriend of one of my mates as I was ready to depart... but my other mates were still saying theirs, leaving us both there in a somewhat awkward silence. Rather than feeling awkward, I just acknowledged it with her and had a laugh. It felt AWESOME!

So basically, rather than thinking a billion things and not saying any of them and worrying what others think, just say what you're thinking. If other people don't like it, then it just makes it easier to filter out people you enjoy hanging out with or not. Maybe think about it like this: One awkward moment saying what you think with to someone, making things uncomfortable (at worst) and never seeing them again, or constantly seeing them and feeling anxious every single time because you can't say what you want. The former should be a preference because it helps you filter out people you can't talk to. I've only done that in the last few years, but now I only hang out with people I can truly say what I feel around :)

God damn that was a long (and possibly non-sensical) brain dump... I hope it helps!

The fuck? Why have 250 people bothered to reply to that tripe? It read like some stupid morons Facebook brain dump.

We mostly needed to go live asap as publishers are supporting us out the gate with code and goodies, which is incredibly pleasing.
Congrats on the support! Will read tonight as I forgot last night. Hopefully someone links it or pimps it on twitter after 5pm.

People dig confidence in people, that's pretty much a fact. It's not easy, but once you stop caring what people think, it becomes a lot easier to avoid self-sensoring and even easier to open up and participate.
This is basically when things became a LOT easier for me. Stop worrying about other people.

Ew, JavaScript
Everyone knows it's all about understanding how to program. It's easy, for the most part, to transfer from one language to another.

Javascript is pretty forgiving compared to some other languages, so IMO it's a good place to start.

Omikron

Everyone knows it's all about understanding how to program. It's easy, for the most part, to transfer from one language to another.

Javascript is pretty forgiving compared to some other languages, so IMO it's a good place to start.

The downside to javascript for me is weak typing. Ugh.

But as you say, once you know the fundamentals of 1 language, it is easy enough to transfer the basic skillset to others.

Gazunta

OK a couple of things:

Reptile, that's awesome about Legend of the Guardians :) Glad to see someone 'got it' :) I guarantee you WB will never, ever, ever re-release it. There's enough unsold copies sitting in warehouses around the world to take care of everyone for the rest of this century at least.

Introverts! One common theme I keep seeing in your posts is that you are putting so much pressure on yourself to be interesting. I think you could try to think about this the other way. People are interested in people who are interested in them. The next time you are in a social situation, ask the person you are talking to about their interests, about their family, job, etc. People are far more likely to want to talk about themselves - it's everyone's favourite subject, after all.

(I can't recommend How To Win Friends and Influence People enough. I really can't. It's to me what the Bible is to Ned Flanders. It takes, what, a day to read and will cure all ills)

I almost miss being a games journo because of all the Vitas landing on people's desks, but then I remember the never getting paid and always being broke and stressed and hating video games and spending my nights reviewing stupid GameBoy games so nuts to that.

The $1 sale for Metal Dead is a God damn bargain you guys BUY IT. Support your local devs who are trying to stave off having to go get a real office job!

Danoss

It's true!Just say what you think/want and don't worry at all what others think.

I'm always rather quiet around new people as I work out who they are and the different personalities. Part of it is for me to be able to identify with each of them, as each person is different of course. Its a weird thing I have to do to become comfortable around new people. Once I've done that I open up and just say whatever, if they don't like what they see/hear, its not my problem, I just wont hang around them anymore.

The group I play board games and RPGs with regularly were mostly a bunch of strangers, bar one person whom I met on jury duty. I was quiet the first session, but after that I was good and we all got on like a house on fire. One session afterwards I was tired from lack of sleep and didn't say much, they mentioned me being quiet as it was now unusual to them.

One thing I've learned is that if you're short on things to talk about, ask the person in question about themselves. People LOVE to talk about themselves. Ask where they got their shirt from, what's special about the jewelry they're wearing, what TV shows they watch or books they read and what they think about them. The list goes on. A conversation is bound to flow out of it that you can just go with.

I used to be like Evlcookie and be the class clown in primary school and the first year or two of high school and then I shut down. I still had friends and made new ones as the high school years went on, though if my eventual friends weren't patient, that may not have happened. These were some very good friends that I'm glad we got to know eachother and wish I knew them for longer.

Stop worrying what others think and just have fun being yourself. When someone likes you and enjoys your company, you know it's because of who you are and know who you want to be or what you think they want you to be.

Another long-winded comment, but I hope it is somewhat helpful.

Guys, don't ever let anyone make you feel bad or inferior for being an introvert. The majority of the world are extroverts and don't understand what it's like to be an introvert. Extroverts thrive, and feel energised after social interaction. Introverts often feel exhausted (but not to say they don't enjoy) that same social interaction.

I've actually got a mate doing the Code Academy JavaScript course so I'm going through the same lessons with him. It's not a bad course but it seems like it's teaching JavaScript, but not so much how to program. However it does look like it's teaching by doing so maybe those skills will come through anyway.

Guys, don't ever let anyone make you feel bad or inferior for being an introvert. The majority of the world are extroverts and don't understand what it's like to be an introvert. Extroverts thrive, and feel energised after social interaction. Introverts often feel exhausted (but not to say they don't enjoy) that same social interaction.

Of course never let people make you feel like shit. If anyone ever does just walk away. But you can still move away from being the quiet introvert. I'm loud and sociable but, as an introvert, I still feel tired from social interaction. People are creatures of habit; once you create a system of interaction it's very hard to break it. Having said that, if you break the habit you will quickly become comfortable with the new system.

The easiest way to enact this change is with a new group of people. Like Danoss said they have no prior expectations of you, so if you come off as open and confident in that first interaction that's how they'll view you.

Sure, at first it will all come off as fake to you, but over time you stop second guessing it. It's just method acting applied to your day-to-day life.

Stackboy

The best way to fight this is not visit that site ever again.

I've been interviewed by Katherine Feeney a couple of years ago about being in a band in Brisbane and trying to be recognised, musically. Our manager hooked it up, thought it would be good exposure for us. Turns out we weren't hip enough to be featured in her article. I took it as a compliment.

But you can still move away from being the quiet introvert. I'm loud and sociable but, as an introvert, I still feel tired from social interaction.
But that's my point. If I'm a quiet introvert, why should I feel compelled to 'move away' from that? Society seems to make people who prefer quiet introspection to being around others all the time as weird, when really that's just who they are.

There's nothing wrong with that at all, and there's no reason to 'enact change' in order to stop being an introvert. Introversion is not necessarily the same as being shy, though.

Here's some articles about introverts, should anyone care:
http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts
http://www.worldhum.com/features/speakers-corner/confessions-of-an-introverted-traveler-20090309/
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/03/caring-for-your-introvert/2696/

Omikron

Yeah, but he is also known for these sorts of incidents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JSTi89tJBA#t=80s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40_2KyoGs-o

Rather not have him on Australian TV.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

Ew, JavaScript.

(I'm being facetious.)

Deeku

Solution to introvert issues? Become an arrogant dick.

Works for me!
This works!

Also, Gaz's asking questions is also good. Get the other person to do all the talking!

Edit:
Reading some of cods links, turns out I'm probably an introvert lol.

Jintor

Uh, I'm not at work right now, but I just got an email entitled "Please Evacuate the Building" from a trusted work address to my work address with no further information.

Weird.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I just had the random idea of checking my original email account on yahoo that i haven't used in many many years.

There's 28828 unread emails. All of them, I'm confident, are spam. Most seem to claim there are hot singles waiting 4 me. Sounds awesome.

Top Bottom