• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

The grief my own sentence above gave me in terms of English tenses reminded me again how little I know about my own language in a technical sense. Presumably everyone else gets by blindly too, though it is odd how little emphasis is placed on grammar education in school English classes.

I don't know the different past tenses and what they're for. It bothers me.

ilzMWipMOYHyG.gif

Joking. I suck balls at it. Mainly because I have done a lot of reading but not a lot of speaking in situations where I will get pulled up on my grammar or the way I talk. I certainly wouldn't call my communication dignified by any means. The curse of the lazy introvert.

midonnay

goddamn, that thunder sounded like an atomic bomb @_@

ps: native speakers don't usually have to "learn" grammar...... it just looks right >_>

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Maxime McKew, surely the most unbiased, completely not bitter commentator.

midonnay

well, its true..... according to galaxy poll, Rudd's popularity is because people think he was unfairly done by AND he was a good leader.

The caucus has their head in the sand :/

Salazar

well, its true..... according to galaxy poll, Rudd's popularity is because people think he was unfairly done by AND he was a good leader.

And because they are curiously unreceptive to the near-consensus that he is an awful, awful cunt to the people he works with.

hamchan

Sigh, Gillard is going to win against Rudd and then lose horribly against Tony Abbott. The lesser evil is having Rudd win tomorrow as he has the best chance to beat Abbott. I REALLY do not want that psychopath Abbott as our PM.

midonnay

And because they are curiously unreceptive to the near-consensus that he is an awful, awful cunt to the people he works with.

Well its probably hard to take their accusations seriously after the shit that was pulled in NSW.

The way they decided to oust the prime minister definitely doesn't help their public pleas.

not to mention the cries of disloyalty... :p

hamchan

Well its probably hard to take their accusations seriously after the shit that was pulled in NSW.

The way they decided to oust the prime minister definitely doesn't help their public pleas.

not to mention the cries of disloyalty... :p
The whole slander campaign against Rudd over the past week makes them look quite bad as well I think.

Yoshiya

I agree with this.
Sigh, Gillard is going to win against Rudd and then lose horribly against Tony Abbott. The lesser evil is having Rudd win tomorrow as he has the best chance to beat Abbott. I REALLY do not want that psychopath Abbott as our PM.

-and also this, which is an uncomfortable position to find myself in. Ultimately, averting the impending disaster that is Abbott electoral victory is my prime concern. As it is, I have no faith that Labor will manage that, despite the apparent absurdity of the populace actually finding Abbott electable.

Yagharek

The whole slander campaign against Rudd over the past week makes them look quite bad as well I think.

I think there seems to be a mood where people are getting sick of politics across the country. This could work one of two ways: either the bar is lowered drastically due to apathy, or (hopefully) people start to expect the highest standards of conduct and elect people based on principles instead of soundbites.

I'm a pessimist of the Bertrand Russell school of disdain for the general lack of collective public intelligence.

Yagharek

To be fair to Bertie, his professional career was often sabotaged by conservative bible thumpers who liked to interfere at every turn.

Due to my low profile, I've only got myself to blame.

I think there seems to be a mood where people are getting sick of politics across the country. This could work one of two ways: either the bar is lowered drastically due to apathy, or (hopefully) people start to expect the highest standards of conduct and elect people based on principles instead of soundbites.

I'm a pessimist of the Bertrand Russell school of disdain for the general lack of collective public intelligence.

But how? The only people we have to option to elect are morons. Unless everyone decides to vote on some other third party (go ahead! Throw your vote away!).

I think you are marginally better-adjusted than Bertie.

Shan:

Q8Pss.jpg

HAHAHA, Oh man that's gold. Stupid si net. At least semester has started and I no longer need to use it =/

Yagharek

But how? The only people we have to option to elect are morons. Unless everyone decides to vote on some other third party (go ahead! Throw your vote away!).

I blame lobby groups, personally. They are the ones who are most readily listened to, not the populace. It's a fundamental distortion of democratic processes.

Look at the mining tax or poker machine reform, or the optus streaming AFL rights legal case. In each of those three cases, big business lobby groups had an immediate open door to the government. If its an issue that impacts on a far smaller scale (or heaven forbid if one is, say, Aboriginal or the spouse of a TPI veteran, then good luck on getting anything more than a foodstamp and an unhealthy dose of condescension.)

Dead Man

Funnily enough, people don't really care how he treats his co workers. I'll be honest, it is a long way down the list of stuff I give a shit about. Granted, in his case it does seem catastrophically bad, but you can't really expect people to 1. know about this when no one really fronts up and says it openly, 2. give a rats when those that seem to be liked by their coworkers are still backstabbing wretches.

I agree with this.

-and also this, which is an uncomfortable position to find myself in. Ultimately, averting the impending disaster that is Abbott electoral victory is my prime concern. As it is, I have no faith that Labor will manage that, despite the apparent absurdity of the populace actually finding Abbott electable.

Yep. I have said it before but principles are taking a back seat at the moment, I just want the best chance of beating that evil bastard.

Omikron

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/po...ks-to-tradition-and-rules-20120224-1ttqe.html

IT COULD come down to a name out of a hat. In the unlikely event of a tie - 51 votes to 51 - that's how the Labor caucus will settle the fight for the leadership.

There are actually 103 votes to be cast but the NSW backbencher Michelle Rowland had a baby girl on Thursday and is not expected at the Monday ballot. No absentee votes are allowed.

Daryl Melham, the member for Banks, will preside as caucus chairman as he has since 2004, a stickler for the internal rules that are not made public. No other business is allowed; this special meeting is only about leadership and can be called only by the leader or a petition from MPs.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The agenda will go roughly like this: at 10am on Monday Julia Gillard will report to her colleagues and after speaking will move a motion to declare the leadership vacant. That motion is seconded, probably by her deputy, the Treasurer, Wayne Swan. Candidates then nominate themselves, a chance to make a final pitch - although speeches are not guaranteed.

A secret ballot is conducted, though Kevin Rudd warned yesterday against a habit of peering over others' shoulders as a means of factional control.

The vote is run by the NSW backbencher Chris Hayes, the returning officer in charge of tallying the numbers. The Tasmanian Dick Adams is his deputy, and several other MPs are charged with scrutinising the ballots.

The caucus members put a ''1'' next to the name they wish to support. Any ticks or crosses will make the vote informal.

No one is seriously anticipating a tie between Ms Gillard and Mr Rudd. But should it happen - an echo of the hung parliament from the past election - pieces of paper bearing the name of each candidate go into a hat.

And whichever name comes out is the leader.

So 103 votes, I will go with a Prediction of 66 for Gillard 37 for Rudd.

midonnay

ps I think rudd will get 25

hilarious..... Greg sheridan in a quixotic defense of rudd

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-ought-to-return/story-e6frg76f-1226282003112

IF the Labor Party were not locked into a death spiral of spectacular savagery and pointlessness, it would today elect Kevin Rudd as leader. The public overwhelmingly favours Rudd. But the ALP is now like the East German Communist Party in the old Cold War joke -- it has lost confidence in the people and plans to dissolve them and form a new one.

Rudd is the most substantial figure in the contemporary Labor Party. He towers over Julia Gillard intellectually, politically, morally, in his connection with the Australian people and in every other way that counts. That the Labor Party, Australia's ruling party, has got itself into this mess reflects poorly on everyone.

Rudd deserves to be elected leader for pragmatic reasons and for what might be described as in-principle reasons. But first let me offer one piece of empirical evidence that would be difficult for others to obtain. As a foreign editor, I travel a great deal. And all over the world, prime ministers and presidents, foreign ministers and senior officials tell me how valuable they find Rudd. I am not gilding the lily here, and I am certainly not making this up.

Senior Americans, across a number of agencies and institutions, look to Rudd for policy advice on China. So do Canadians. And ministers across the Middle East tell me how valuable they find his contributions.

Europeans regard him as a first-table interlocutor on important global and regional issues. All through Asia Rudd is seen as a friend who can get things done.

I have never heard anyone, outside of a press conference where they are required to be polite, make a similar comment about Gillard. Indeed when Rudd was first deposed as prime minister, senior US officials were aghast they had lost such a good friend, and equally astonished that someone as provincial and narrow as Gillard could become prime minister of a country such as Australia.

Gillard occasionally says and does sensible things. But the pattern of her rule as prime minister leads to three sombre and unwelcome conclusions. She is not competent. She is not trustworthy. And there is no core of fixed, serious policy commitment in her. Anything is likely to be reversed because nothing is tethered to an anchor of deep belief. This is just chalk and cheese with Rudd, however disagreeable his temper might have been to his colleagues.

The gene pool of Australian national leadership is shallow. Most of our best people don't go into politics. Losing an asset like Rudd is bad for the nation. It may be suicidal for the Labor Party.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Because I like being a dick.

Rudd 53 v Gillard 49

Oh yea.

I am drenched. My shoes have a bit of water in them and my clothes are just soaked. Fuck today!

http://www.businessspectator.com.au...pd20120227-RUR3Z?OpenDocument&src=sph&src=rot

It doesn’t look like Kevin Rudd will win this morning’s ballot, but if he did he could not become prime minister today, if at all.

That’s because Labor’s majority is based on personal deals between Julia Gillard and the independents, Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott. Kevin Rudd would have to renegotiate them, which would take time (17 days?) if it could be done at all, and the Governor General would be unable to appoint Rudd as prime minister until he had a majority of the lower house.

This is interesting but academic because Gillard will comfortably win the caucus vote. And that’s because her situation, and that of the ALP, is not all that dire; they don’t need to go back to Rudd to win the next election. If it were that clear they did, Rudd would win.

Independent polling analyst Andrew Catsaras presented a stunning analysis of the polls on the ABC’s Insiders program yesterday which put the almost hysterical coverage of the supposedly disastrous position of the ALP in a whole new light.

Catsaras combines the results of the five major pollsters: Neilsen, Newspoll, Essential, Morgan and Galaxy, which produces an average monthly sample of 8,700 respondents and a margin of error of 1 per cent.

He said yesterday that the primary vote of the ALP is 33 per cent, the Coalition 46 per cent and the Greens 11 per cent. That translates to a two-party preferred vote of 54-46 in favour of the Coalition, or a 4 per cent swing against the government.

He then said: “I think that something people need to realise is that governments have been in poorer positions than this government much closer to the election and yet they've still won. That's happened three out of the last seven elections.”

The other important point he made is that Julia Gillard still leads Tony Abbott as preferred prime minister. This would be news to a media consumer: you would think, reading the newspapers and watching the TV news bulletins, that she was Jim Scullin, about to suffer a swing of 22 per cent, as Scullin did in 1931 to Joe Lyons, or as one newspaper actually suggested, Billy McMahon, the least popular PM of all.

It’s not the most appealing story to tell, but the Gillard government’s position is not all that desperate, at least going into today’s ballot for the leadership.

It will presumably worsen this month following the sudden frenzy of public recriminations over the past week, but from where the polls stand at the moment, the government would only have to recover 3 per cent of the two-party preferred vote to be guaranteed of victory at the next election, at least according to Andrew Catsaras.

I think some people are forgetting these things. Besides we are 18 months from the next election. 18 months.

Omikron

What was interesting in what he showed was how the worm turned POST the carbon tax being put through parliament.

Either it shows that people actually don't mind the policy, or what is more likely, as soon as something is passed, people forget very, very quickly.

qd1ox.png

In fact it was slightly before the carbon tax getting through that it turned, but it certainly hasn't gone back the other way.

Choc

Banned
As maxine mckew said, some people will never forgive gillard for what she did.

She is toxic to teh electorate and it won't change. Even the political commentators are saying this today and expect a new challenge (not from rudd) later in teh year if things don't get better.

In other news apparently the Liberals are concerned that Abbott has gone backwards in ratings since January 1

DO IT LIBERALS DO IT. BRING IN TURNBULL.

The backlash from the electorate by Gillard staying will be epic. It will prove to the bogans that the government is not listening to them (and again i am not syaing they should put Rudd back based on polls) but the bogans would think that. 'GUBBINMENT IS SPOSED TO DO WHAT *I* WANT"

oipic

I expect Gillard will have the numbers, but as Abbott just said, nothing that happens today will really change anything - only much improved poll figures in the months ahead will bring any stability, and even then, it'll still be an uphill battle for the ALP. What a circus, they'll be rotting from the inside for months/years after this, I reckon.

Enough of this political posturing, bring on the Oscars. Somehow more 'real' than all of our embarrassing shenanigans in Canberra.

Omikron

The backlash from the electorate by Gillard staying will be epic. It will prove to the bogans that the government is not listening to them (and again i am not syaing they should put Rudd back based on polls) but the bogans would think that. 'GUBBINMENT IS SPOSED TO DO WHAT *I* WANT"

I really don't see the backlash happening. Where is your proof other than choc-isms?

Fredescu

What was interesting in what he showed was how the worm turned POST the carbon tax being put through parliament.

Either it shows that people actually don't mind the policy, or what is more likely, as soon as something is passed, people forget very, very quickly.
As the McKew article said, Labor's polling went down when they canned the ETS initially.

Choc

Banned
I really don't see the backlash happening. Where is your proof other than choc-isms?

last time the government did what people didnt want (well some people and some very vocal people), the carbon tax

and from there here polls have dived. Watch, there will be a drop next week in Gillards approval.

Omikron

last time the government did what people didnt want (well some people and some very vocal people), the carbon tax

and from there here polls have dived. Watch, there will be a drop next week in Gillards approval.

Ok. Guess we will find out.

midonnay

radiohead november tour

Radiohead will perform six shows only this November, starting at Auckland’s Vector Arena on Tuesday 6th November, then Brisbane Entertainment Centre on Friday 9th November, two shows at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th November, and two shows in Melbourne at Rod Laver Arena on Friday 16th and Saturday 17th November. Tickets for all shows go on sale in just three days time at 9am (local time) on Thursday 1st March. For a band that is headlining major festivals across the globe, these Australian shows in relatively intimate settings are a clear indicator of a band that does things their own way.

please don't get sick thom :/

Fredescu

and from there here polls have dived.
The Carbon Tax was announced in the middle of July 2011 and passed in October 2011. Plot those points on Omi's graph. The polls did not dive due to the carbon tax, they rose.

Top Bottom