• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Rezbit

We will get beaten by New Zealand. I'm calling it.

Also, to buy the GTA4 episodes, or not to buy? Forgot to get New Vegas yesterday dammit. Got Serious Sam and Riddick lined up to buy.

Yagharek

How am I cherry picking his stats? That's all his got. I'm literally talking about all his stats. You said he could barely last a session and Cowan could last a day. There's nothing to back that up.

L.O.L.

Did you see the latest innings? Cowan made 145 from 270 balls. Warner made 55 off 90. Who would you pick?

Making up stats my arse.

Jintor

I have them lined up, and I was enjoying Lost and the Damned in a limited capacity until the November blockbusters hit.

Shaneus

Jase, reptile. I've finally bought Shadows of the Damned. Are you both fucking happy now?!?

Honestly, it was worth the $22.49 to not have to stress about whether I should buy it or not. Sheesh.

<3

On man the new Smoked Bacon & Parmigiana Signature Range burger at KFC tastes fantastic! Certainly a little bit fucking fancy!

Went to our friends daughters first birthday. In a moment of me failing as a parent and having to run to Aldi for nappies and wipes when we got to Ballarat I ran into an old mate who was having his 25th birthday today. Went around in the afternoon and he is just as awesome as ever. Pouring rain all day but it didn't stop the fun.
2011-11-2615.21.05qwkvm.jpg

2011-11-2616.27.213nkxl.jpg

2011-11-2616.28.05egjm9.jpg

If anyone has been on the fence about Shadows of the Damned or Alice: Madness Returns they are both currently £12.95 at Zavvi.

Alice:Madness Returns (PS3/360)

Shadows of the Damned (PS3/360)

My sources (i.e. internet rumour mongers) tell me that both of these games might be going out of print so companies are clearing remaining stock. This rumour, however, may have been started by by a company executive to increase sales.
Doesn't sound plausable as there is no reason to drop supply of the games. Plenty of shittier games that have sold less can still be found quite easily.

Fuck you, reptilescorpio Jase.
You should have already owned the damn games by now!

How the fuck can David Warner be taken seriously as a test opener when Ed Cowan is in top form and a far better player with far more experience?
Warner has time in the team already which would have been a major factor. Plus he has done pretty well lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ7mQbwCZew we should all watch this atleast once a week
Not enough Karl, didn't find it funny.

So my local Target is selling Final Fantasy XIII for $20. I was tempted to buy it to see what all the fuss was about and then I remembered what happened last time I started a console RPG.
What as the last console RPG? Xenoblade? Last Remnant?

oh lord. 2k Games Canberra is now 2k Games Australia, again

what is it with Take 2 and their branding strategy for anything not Rock Star?
Probably trying to make it easier to read their earnings report and work out what country is losing them the most money.

Cricket Australia confirms the best way to make the test team is to slog it out in fake cricket. Good shield players need not apply. Shaun Tait to open the bowling with Mitchell Johnson next series. Not a single lbw will be given.
So plausible it is sad.

I just had a look at the named team. Could be an interesting first test.

Well at least its at the Gabba, tough for visiting teams to get a win there.

I think I'm going to go for a day, I haven't been to a test for ages, I think since like 06 actually. Fuck. That was a long time ago. It was a great game actually, McGrath got his last ever 5 wicket haul and a guy sitting near me got ejected after he called Kevin Pietersen gay.
Planning on going to the MCG test if I can get away for the day. Never been to a test match and I missed out on free Boxing Day test tickets to have Christmas with the inlaws 2 years ago so I think I have enough points in my bank.

Thanks! Will call the Melbourne number on Monday. Wonder how much it will cost.
I'm guessing 'far more than you'll ever realise.'

MWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Ladies and gentlemen (and Jase), for your Saturday afternoon entertainment, I (via another forum) proudly present: "Ladderman"

Enjoy :)
Ha! It was kind of nice hearing the Police Officers enjoying some of the guy's eccentricities.

Also, today I'm pretty happy with my haul. Picked up my bevelled silver backplate for my 4S from the post office, bought $300 of iTunes cards for $200 and a 1.5tb 2.5" USB drive for $119. Quite chuffed.
Oh hey there, free money!

So my local Target is selling Final Fantasy XIII for $20. I was tempted to buy it to see what all the fuss was about and then I remembered what happened last time I started a console RPG.
If it was anything like the last time I started a console RPG you blacked out for 3 days and woke up in the carpark of a Red Rooster, naked apart from a pirate tricorn hat, 6 balloons (not inflated, all purple), bruising all down my left side, a black eye, 2 Venezuelan prostitutes demanding money and "more luvin'", a three legged dog with my name spray painted on its back, a bag full of $20 notes and a business card for SAGE BILL'S FAMILY FUNTIME FLICKIN' PARLOUR.

Amiright?

Went to our friends daughters first birthday. In a moment of me failing as a parent and having to run to Aldi for nappies and wipes when we got to Ballarat I ran into an old mate who was having his 25th birthday today. Went around in the afternoon and he is just as awesome as ever. Pouring rain all day but it didn't stop the fun.
http://www.abload.de/img/2011-11-2615.21.05qwkvm.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/2011-11-2616.27.213nkxl.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/2011-11-2616.28.05egjm9.jpg
Those pictures look more like they should have come from the first birthday, not a 25th :)

Doesn't sound plausable as there is no reason to drop supply of the games. Plenty of shittier games that have sold less can still be found quite easily.
Shittier games that sold less can be found easily? Get. The. Fuck. Out! :)

But seriously, I could definitely see both games having been set a very strict print run and selling slow enough to possibly not earn another print run.

You should have already owned the damn games by now!
Who made you the Pope of Purchaseville?

I have still only put a little time into SS. I like the M+ sword controls. I do not like controlling the bird thing. Oh god that sucks.

It also looks awful on a 1080p set (SMG, SMG2, DKCR and NSMB Wii looked a lot better on the same screen).

Going to introduce my wife to the Princess Bride tonight. She never saw it because everyone in her high school would quote it ad nauseum.

Yagharek

So we're picking players from one innings now?

And the previous 18 months of shield cricket? ffs

anyway, obviously the bar for entry to test selection is a half century. 145 isnt enough, in fact it might be too much. Dont want to run the risk of any batsman showing up the australian captain for being the below average batter that he is.

Shittier games that sold less can be found easily? Get. The. Fuck. Out! :)

But seriously, I could definitely see both games having been set a very strict print run and selling slow enough to possibly not earn another print run.
I just can't remember the last game I couldn't get a hold of because they stopped doing print runs? None this generation that I can think of.

I just can't remember the last game I couldn't get a hold of because they stopped doing print runs? None this generation that I can think of.
There's been plenty of games that have disappeared. They're games that, much like Shadows and Alice never were expected to reach their audience and had limited print runs. Games like The Simpsons, Web of Shadows, Civilization: Revolutions, early this gen Tomb Raiders and, surprising no one - yearly sports franchises, just to name a few

Some of these games can still be found, usually hella cheap but only from suppliers that found a box out back hidden under boxes of Tony Hawk Ride.

PS-Unfair as it is (because of the higher production costs, not because I've already dropped enough bombs on you), I'm going to cite DS games. PSP, too.

PS: I reserve the right to be proved wrong on any or all of my irrefutable points but still claim victory in this debate. I demand bacon to pay tribute to my greatness.

So who wants to share in a 4-pack for Dead Island? I have one space left.

I can't find a non-Australian to buy it, so it's $19 per person...

Shoot me a PM if you're interested :D

Deeku

Skyward Sword is amazing, but tough work! Arm is tired, and my back kinda hurts from having to sit up from the couch:/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jase, reptile. I've finally bought Shadows of the Damned. Are you both fucking happy now?!?

Honestly, it was worth the $22.49 to not have to stress about whether I should buy it or not. Sheesh.

<3

You made a wise purchase, friend.

Shaneus

There's been plenty of games that have disappeared. They're games that, much like Shadows and Alice never were expected to reach their audience and had limited print runs. Games like The Simpsons, Web of Shadows, Civilization: Revolutions, early this gen Tomb Raiders and, surprising no one - yearly sports franchises, just to name a few

Some of these games can still be found, usually hella cheap but only from suppliers that found a box out back hidden under boxes of Tony Hawk Ride.

PS-Unfair as it is (because of the higher production costs, not because I've already dropped enough bombs on you), I'm going to cite DS games. PSP, too.

PS: I reserve the right to be proved wrong on any or all of my irrefutable points but still claim victory in this debate. I demand bacon to pay tribute to my greatness.
You know a lot about games. Tell me why the fuck I can't get Sega Soccer Slam on XBL Originals.
You made a wise purchase, friend.
Definitely looking forward to it. I'm taking far more enjoyment in games that don't take themselves too seriously or have too much of an involving storyline or control scheme (ie. anything that would make it hard to pick up after a short break). Vanquish was good to me in that regard, as (what seems to be) Saints Row 3. Shadows looks to be the same as well (got the PS3 one BTW).
I could never get into Bayonetta, which kind of seems to fit the above mold, perhaps because it takes itself too seriously at NOT taking itself seriously. Mikami's recent games (at least, Vanquish and from the looks of it, Shadows) seem to toe that line perfectly, somewhat along the lines of the first Die Hard.

Ooh, early morning brainwave: Judging by Vanquish, Mikami could totally head up a project to create a new chapter in the Thexder franchise. It could be SO fucking totally done.

Jintor

I don't understand how you could dislike Bayonetta. Well, I do understand... but at the same time, I don't really understand.

/edit picked up Limbo for $4

Shaneus

It's not that I didn't like it, it's that it didn't really gel with me like Vanquish did. Maybe it was "too Japanese" or something, to the point where I prefer the slightly tacky Japanese take on American culture/storytelling techniques. I wasn't a massive fan of any of the last/current gen Ninja Gaidens either, perhaps for the same reason.

Note: I'm not entirely sure that's the case, but having only really thought about it now, it makes sense. They seem to have this wonderful pulp magazine-vibe to them. Which is probably why I should get myself a copy of No More Heroes for PS3 or 360 as well.

Jintor

If anything, it's more like a Japanese take on European storytelling mythic culture (aesthetically, at least) than on American culture.

Shaneus

Possibly. I'm not a massive film buff. The movies that first came to mind with a similar style to the one I'm trying to describe were from the US. Like Die Hard, for example.

Payday is half price today, 4 pack is only $30.
Also more people should grab K&L2 Dog Days. Really enjoyed it on the PC but the $4 price tag is exactly how much is should cost since it is a fun, one shot 4 hour ride. If they just made them downloadable little bites the series would be much better off. Loved it, executed MUCH better than the first title.
Also The Witcher is $2.50! Buy it if you already don't have it!

This is why I love watching kids shows. Lots of great guests. Also plenty of wtf moments.

There's been plenty of games that have disappeared. They're games that, much like Shadows and Alice never were expected to reach their audience and had limited print runs. Games like The Simpsons, Web of Shadows, Civilization: Revolutions, early this gen Tomb Raiders and, surprising no one - yearly sports franchises, just to name a few.
Not trying to debate, just generally interested in what source would be best to get this kind of information from as I do worry a little about games going out of stock before I pick them up but I haven't come across any example yet of a game this generation I haven't been able to pick up on the cheap. The ones you noted above can still be found quite easily for a low price, CivRev was on sale at LOGS the other day and I recommend it highly to everyone who doesn't have time for the fully fledged PC version. Regarding stock I usually talk to the local EBGames dude as he is great to deal with and has been able to give me a general idea on how stock is going. Hell, I almost picked up the LE of Dark Souls yesterday because they had it for $70 (LE/CE an entirely different ball game I know, what with the over stock of Bioshock 2/Avatar/SC Conviction. Also the CE of Vanquish with the figure popped back up on Zavvi for a few weeks while I wasn't looking and missed out :( ). Alice has only been out 6 months so I don't see why Spicy Horse wouldn't want to do another print run if they sell out.

Note to self: you bought into Minecraft yonks ago - play the bloody thing!
Same here but my backlog is already big enough as it is. Spending the next 5 months in Minecraft would not be productive for me.

I don't understand how you could dislike Bayonetta. Well, I do understand... but at the same time, I don't really understand.

/edit picked up Limbo for $4
Isn't Limbo $2.50? Also Bayonetta is all about the battle system, if you don't enjoy the battle system then I could understand someone not being all that hot for it. Peak of the genre in that regard. For people who have already played DMC3 to death it was a giant wet patch in their trousers.

I have the one on the 3DS, it's pretty good.

Can't remember it's name!

but it's like fire emblem
Shadow Wars. Which I assume Vince enjoyed too since it was a Julian Gollop title.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ausgaf Podcast

Guys what would you like covered in an Ausgaf podcast?
What topics would you like discussed?
New releases? local news? local game news?
perhaps some retro games?

Oh my, the new Bon Iver 12" is delightful.

Ausgaf Podcast

Guys what would you like covered in an Ausgaf podcast?
What topics would you like discussed?
New releases? local news? local game news?
perhaps some retro games?
Plenty of Australian related stuff would be great but anything that doesn't get discussed and dissected enough from other outlets would be great. Maybe break them into 20 minute podcasts so more people can listen to them in their busy schedules.
Also bring in some people from the industry like Gaz/Serrels for some questions related to the industry in Australia. Make it something unique that you can't get from an overseas podcast. Slim Dusty for the opening song?

Going to introduce my wife to the Princess Bride tonight. She never saw it because everyone in her high school would quote it ad nauseum.

oooh, I hope she likes it. I did the same thing with life on mars. Everyone just wouldn't shut up about it, so I refused to see it.

I finally played through uncharted 3. It was pretty good, I enjoyed the variety of locations even if some of them didn't play into the story much. Only thing that really bothered me was the sudden difficulty increase at the end (though I think this happened in the previous games) and the
lack of closure on whether there was actually a genie in the bottle or not. come on! How could they leave that go?!

midonnay

^^^^^^just steal the angry video game nerd theme song but add some references to ricki lee

welp, thats another morning wasted watching youtube :/

Top Bottom