• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Jintor

I woke up and felt like drawing today.

Morpheus.jpg

Shaneus

The 3DS version is by the guy who co-created X-Com and it plays like X-Com.

If that game means anything to you you already know the answer.
Pretty sure he's talking about the ones on PC though, there's a sale on Steam for them today.

But, my interest has been piqued with the 3DS Ghost Recon game. Isn't that planned for iOS as well?

It means they should port X-Com to a portable console and tighten up the graphics on level 3 while they're at it.
Pfft! Why bother with portable consoles when we already have the bigdaddy consoles getting the more in your face XCOM (because we all know that it has to be shouted out at the top of your lungs) coming out in no time with the tightest graphics you can imagine on level 3!

If it was anything like the last time I started a console RPG you blacked out for 3 days and woke up in the carpark of a Red Rooster, naked apart from a pirate tricorn hat, 6 balloons (not inflated, all purple), bruising all down my left side, a black eye, 2 Venezuelan prostitutes demanding money and "more luvin'", a three legged dog with my name spray painted on its back, a bag full of $20 notes and a business card for SAGE BILL'S FAMILY FUNTIME FLICKIN' PARLOUR.

Amiright?
Sort of like that but with slightly less solicitation. My story involves more spending a week IRL stuck in the starting town before realising that it would take me a year to finish it.

@reptilescorpio - It was FFXII. I never even got away from Rabanastre.

@reptilescorpio - It was FFXII. I never even got away from Rabanastre.
XII was a major slow burn for me. The first FF that I didn't finish until about a year later. Just felt overwhelmed with potential and information. Got out into a desert somewhere and needed to clear my head and didn't go back until I was sitting around with nothing to really play. Picked it up again and put in 80 hours without even realising it. A very different FF. Doesn't really fit the mould, in a good way eventually. 13 I still haven't finished, just hasn't grabbed me.

Deeku

I haven't finished a console rpg in aaaaaages, I think I'm due for one soon. Other games tend to come up and you just forget about it. That's why I loved the DS and PSP so much, they were my dedicated jrpg machines. Still have a decent backlog to work through too!

Rezbit

Just throwing in another glowing endorsement of Skyward Sword. Just got up to
Lanayru Mine
. Loving every minute of it. I even died!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's great to be playing a somewhat challenging Zelda game again.

Ydahs

Just entered the first dungeon in Zelda.

I enjoyed the starting and the pre-first dungeon location even though a lot didn't.

Also digging the motion controls, which adds a lot to it. You actually have to think and take your time against bokoblins, instead of just mashing attack and moving along. That's what this game needed more than anything else.

Yagharek

The rhythm of combat in the game is awesome, especially the bosses but also the standard types. Only bats are disposable with wild slashes.

The motion controls work great in Zelda, but I'm still not entirely convinced it's a better game for having them. They're used for so many things you'd swear they were using the game as proof that motion controls are viable in a traditional game. Right as their console is becoming obsolete and focus is shifting to their more traditionally controlled follow-up.

It's the game the Wii needed four years ago.

Rezbit

I disagree, I think it's absolutely a better game for having them. Combat is actually enjoyable. I want to fight things in this game. I do agree that the Wii needed this from the start though. It's a shame they're getting rid of the wiimote for the next console, if this is where motion controls could have been heading, man, count me in.

I disagree, I think it's absolutely a better game for having them. Combat is actually enjoyable. I want to fight things in this game.

In terms of combat, the only real difference between this and Twilight Princess are the kinds of strikes you can do, all of which could be handled by traditional controls. I'm not trying to say the controls are bad, or that they can't be satisfying, just that certain things (like shaking to have the bird flap) can be a little extraneous (kinda like having to shake to roll in Donkey Kong Country).

they're not getting rid of motion controls.....

Yeah, I know the Wii Remote is still compatible with the Wii U, but the major focus is going to be on the tablet now. If developers weren't willing to play with the Remote in the last five years they're not going to start now, and Nintendo are going to be trying to pimp their new system's unique aspects.

Fusebox

Banned
Pretty sure he's talking about the ones on PC though, there's a sale on Steam for them today.

But, my interest has been piqued with the 3DS Ghost Recon game. Isn't that planned for iOS as well?

Yep, my fave game on 3DS. IPad version should be awesome with the extra screen real estate, I'm double-dipping on day 1.

does anyone really want to play a smash bros clone with Sony mascots? :/

What Sony mascots are there anyway outside of Kratos? Sly and the Ico and SotC dudes? Killzone, Resistance, Cole and Nathan?

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have the stable of recognisable characters that Nintendo and Sega have. They'd need some serious third party presence for me to bite

Dead Man

What Sony mascots are there anyway outside of Kratos? Sly and the Ico and SotC dudes? Killzone, Resistance, Cole and Nathan?

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have the stable of recognisable characters that Nintendo and Sega have. They'd need some serious third party presence for me to bite

Not that it appeals to me, but you forgot R+C and sackboy.

Not that it appeals to me, but you forgot R+C and sackboy.

Oh yeah. I remembered Ratchet and Clank after hitting submit but LBP completely slipped my mind 'cause I never really cared for it; great level creator with an average game tacked on.

Suppose there's also Jak and Daxter.

Choc

Banned
L.O.L.

Did you see the latest innings? Cowan made 145 from 270 balls. Warner made 55 off 90. Who would you pick?

Making up stats my arse.

3x90=270

therefore warners strike rate is 165 for every 270 balls that innings meaning in some respects he outscored cowan

warner is also very well known due to t20 which no doubt helps him

the fact is SR counts you may be able to last 500 balls but if you are not scoring it wont help

Yagharek

That's right choc, test cricket needs more batsmen who can't hold onto their wicket. Next you'll be arguing for bowlers who can't hold a decent line and length. A fan of Shaun tait I bet?

does anyone really want to play a smash bros clone with Sony mascots? :/
I'm interested. As long as the gameplay is as basic fun as Smash Bros was. I would only buy one Sony Smash though, don't see the appeal in the new Smash Bros over the older ones. Just seem like a retread from what I have played.

If the game is fun I will give it a shot. If only for the Crash Vs. Jak matchup.

Deeku

In terms of combat, the only real difference between this and Twilight Princess are the kinds of strikes you can do, all of which could be handled by traditional controls. I'm not trying to say the controls are bad, or that they can't be satisfying, just that certain things (like shaking to have the bird flap) can be a little extraneous (kinda like having to shake to roll in Donkey Kong Country).
Rolling bombs is a pain in the butt!

I don't get comments that imply that you can't play Skyward Sword from the comfort of your couch. That's the only way I play. The only thing I could see being annoying is rolling bombs, which I do by hanging my arm over the edge of the seat.

Deeku

I don't get comments that imply that you can't play Skyward Sword from the comfort of your couch. That's the only way I play. The only thing I could see being annoying is rolling bombs, which I do by hanging my arm over the edge of the seat.
You can't slouch back and sit like a lazy slob while playing though. To get the most out of combat, you really need to sit up, and hold the wiimote/nunchuck in front of you properly.

When I played other wii games, I could half lie back in the sofa, and have my hands down on both sides resting on top of the sofa. I can do that to an extent with SS, but it's not as fun.

legend166

That's right choc, test cricket needs more batsmen who can't hold onto their wicket. Next you'll be arguing for bowlers who can't hold a decent line and length. A fan of Shaun tait I bet?

You're basing your entire opinion off nothing. Literally nothing. Every single stat I can bring up shows you that in terms of first class cricket and 'sticking around', Warner is no worse than Ed Cowan (in fact he's marginally better).

Rezbit

You can't slouch back and sit like a lazy slob while playing though. To get the most out of combat, you really need to sit up, and hold the wiimote/nunchuck in front of you properly.

When I played other wii games, I could half lie back in the sofa, and have my hands down on both sides resting on top of the sofa. I can do that to an extent with SS, but it's not as fun.

Just personally, I'm not usually a sloucher when I play games anyway. Especially if I'm engaged in the action. Sometimes when I do get lazy and get my arse kicked I'm like, "That's it, serious now" and lean forward lol.

I like Wipeout too!

We have so much in common!

Yagharek

You're basing your entire opinion off nothing. Literally nothing. Every single stat I can bring up shows you that in terms of first class cricket and 'sticking around', Warner is no worse than Ed Cowan (in fact he's marginally better).

What rubbish. Mark my words, Warner will barely outdo Hughes as an opener this summer. The Australian selectors seem resigned to mediocrity though so I guess all your favourites will be playing at some point. Australia to lose the test series this summer at home.

Jintor

I wouldn't be so hard on Arkham City PC if it hadn't shipped like a fucking MONTH after it did on consoles and was STILL a bug-ridden mess. Reliable video exception errors after about an hour and a half of gameplay coupled with completely broken DX11, which was supposed to be the PC selling point - what is this shit, Warner?

/edit okay maybe it wasn't a month, i still hate it

Jintor

LACK OF CONVICTION!

Ankh-Morpork adventure game/rpg combining Discworld Noir, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and... uh... Skyrim?

*throws random games into the mix*

I'd really like to see an RPG that is based in a single, huge-ass sprawling city with massive crowds kind of like Brotherhood... and I really like Ankh-Morpork...

Top Bottom