• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Shaneus

Really? I'm guessing it's probably just the same as all the online support for them being dropped last year too. Too expensive for them to keep running (that's the excuse anyway, p2p is cheap).
I would've thought so too, but the only reason I was looking was because Sega Soccer Slam is on sale in the US for Originals (or Games on Demand or whatever). When I bring up the Xbox.au website it appears, but when I try to buy it, it says it's not available in this region.

Fuck, that sucks. I remember maybe 6mo. ago I was contemplating buying a Burnout game via Originals but the reason I didn't dive in was because I couldn't justify the cost, not because it wasn't at all available.

Google turns up nothing, either :(

Shaneus

So I've had a look, and it appears that Fusion Frenzy can be bought, but not SSS. I'm guessing it's some kind of licensing thing, but that's really, really weird for that to happen. It's not an in-house only thing either. Burnout 3, Crash Bandicoot and Chaos Theory can be bought, too :/

Kritz

Banned
The ever changing AusGAF top ~20 games:

1. Metroid Prime: Trilogy
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  4. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
  5. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  6. The Orange Box
  7. Sins of a Solar Empire
  8. Demon's Souls
  9. Portal 2
  10. Tetris DS
  11. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  12. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
  13. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  14. Chrono Trigger
  15. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  16. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  17. Resident Evil 4
  18. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
  19. Rock Band 2
  20. Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templars - The Director's Cut
  21. Fallout: New Vegas
  22. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
  23. Final Fantasy X
  24. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

This list consists of games with 4 or more reviews. Some of them border on the 4 reviews line, so I've considered doing a 5 minimum as well. I don't think it super matters. The list is still pretty good.

...and I've never played any of those games! (except original OOT which I never finished cause I was a dumb kid and obviously variants of Tetris and Pacman)

The ever changing AusGAF top ~20 games:

Solid list! I've played ten of them and own eleven, so my tastes are somewhat reasonably represented.

...and I've never played any of those games!

Wow. It's a fairly even spread covering a reasonable amount of games, so that's kinda surprising.

Though looking at it, there's no platformers and the only FPS is The Orange Box. It's really RPG heavy.

Shaneus

Out of that top 20, the only game I've put significant time into there is Rock Band 2. Other than that, I've put maybe an hour into Orange Box total (for ep1 maybe?) and Pac Man CE DX.

I own a couple more (Sins, DE:HR, Witcher, Portal 2) but yeah, there's a lot of time-sink games in there. In fact, about 3/4 of them are (as far as I know).

Ydahs

Guys, I just completed Xenoblade.

The best game I have ever played.

The story. Oh man, the story. The last quarter of the game is mind blowing.

^^^^

Don't hype me for a game I won't ever get time to play! This and Skyrim make me sadface :(

I get too frustrated at enemies.... So I end up WETRIWHERTIAOEWRHJTEAWRITH with my arm and that just doesnt work.... although sometimes it does if you get lucky >.<

I dont know, it just doesnt feel responsive enough.... and the enemies change their weapon block pattern to quick for how responsive it is >.>? Maybe I got a busted wiimote+?!

3 am >.<...... hmph. Thats too late!

It might be because of light interference. Turn off your lights maybe.

I've found that it rarely does anything I don't tell it to, but stuff where you're on a bridge and an enemy is dodging and spinning and you've got to stab at just the right moment is just insane. I keep falling off.

AND I'M ONLY IN THE FIRST DUNGEON

hamchan

How many sidequests did you do? I'm at the start of the game and I'm overwhelmed with the number of quests, with a lot of them being MMORPG style "Kill 10 things".

I'd prefer to not have to do those sorts of quests lol.

Kritz

Banned
It also seems the list is still suffering from doubles, even in the top ~20 with two Resident Evil 4s.

Taking a much stricter set, here are the top ~20 with 6 or more reviews:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
  4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  5. Portal 2
  6. The Orange Box
  7. Tetris DS
  8. Chrono Trigger
  9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  10. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
  11. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  12. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  13. Resident Evil 4
  14. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
  15. Assassin's Creed II
  16. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  17. Fallout: New Vegas
  18. Saints Row: The Third
  19. Shadow of the Colossus
  20. Civilization IV
  21. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  22. Super Mario Galaxy
  23. Saints Row 2
  24. The Beatles: Rock Band
  25. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  26. Red Dead Redemption
  27. Super Mario Galaxy 2

And the bottom ~20

1. Fable III
  2. Frontlines: Fuel of War
  3. Battlefield Heroes
  4. Dragon Age II
  5. Duke Nukem Forever
  6. Perfect Dark Zero
  7. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  8. Call of Duty 3
  9. Spore
  10. Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
  11. Destroy All Humans!
  12. Quake 4
  13. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
  14. Wii Play
  15. Virtua Fighter 5
  16. Heavenly Sword
  17. Battlefield 2142
  18. The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
  19. Prototype
  20. Bulletstorm
  21. Black & White 2
  22. Age of Empires III
  23. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Note that a lot of games may have the same average score as another. For example, using only two significant figures, The Orange Box and Tetris DS have the same scores, it just defaults to listing them in alphabetical order. Which is why it's a top / bottom "~20", because I don't want to arbitrarily cut off games that received the same score as one another. I could go to a third significant figure, but I feel bad enough having two when none of the other data has more than one.

I'm not sure how much I agree about Dark Messiah being in the bottom 20, but oh well. Otherwise it seems a decent list so far.

Deeku

Hopefully I'll find time to play this during the summer. Too many other games to play at the moment:/

Ydahs

How many sidequests did you do? I'm at the start of the game and I'm overwhelmed with the number of quests, with a lot of them being MMORPG style "Kill 10 things".

I'd prefer to not have to do those sorts of quests lol.

I didn't do too many at the start, but did a lot more later on. For the most part, you can come back and do sidequests at anytime. They're not really your traditional sense of sidequests in RPGs, where a sidestory is involved. They're mainly fetch quests which give you some extra experience, money and sometimes rare items.

Most of the time you're going to kill the monsters or collect the required items anyway, so you won't have to go out of your way to do a lot of the quests. There's nothing better than starting a fetch quest and having the 'quest completed' message pop up because you already have the items (happens a lot).

I'd actually recommend not doing a lot at the start since it's easy to become overpowered in this game. That's the one thing I regret.

Jintor

Well shit. Might have to re-backlog Arkham City and maybe Skyrim, since I think I'm reaching my tether with Skyrim. Fuckdamn I hate inventory management. Anyway, gotta get that Xenoblade done.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Get home to cold homebrew fridge and my housemate having baked some interesting biscuits.

Those plus Mario 3D have made for a great Friday night wind down.

Nothing more enjoyable than a 3 hour drive to a 1 year olds birthday party. Yay. Also I have been informed by the gf that road beers are out. Not cool.

Good man. The best jRPG in a long time and one that puts Square to shame. Also the fact that a publisher didn't pick it up and market the fuck out of it is disappointing considering its high quality. Easily the best jRPG this generation on consoles, nothing comes close. Last Remnant maybe a distant second? Resonance of Fate was good too but very different.

And the bottom ~20
Prototype
Bulletstorm
Surprised that everyone hated these games so much. No real mechanic of them you could pin down as being bad

Also those shrubbery dudes that shoot things at you are impossible to kill >.> I cant do a thing against them yet >.<

And they wear my shield down like a bitch!

When I was at the bazaar I was like 'potions? Lol!'

But in the field im like 'potions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >_<!'

You've got to shield bash what they shoot at you. Your shield only wears out if you screw up the timing.

Shaneus

In preparation for the F1 2011 GAF league, I decide to fire up the game after numerous patches and updates have been released, on both AMD's and Codemasterses sides. Still, DX11 doesn't fire up at all when Crossfire is enabled. At all.

Solidified my stance now on not getting another Codies game ever. Dirt 2 was amazing, Dirt 3 still had quite good performance on my PC. But these F1 games both run like unoptimised shit on my PC, despite endless tweaking. Fuck them.

If anyone has been on the fence about Shadows of the Damned or Alice: Madness Returns they are both currently £12.95 at Zavvi.

Alice:Madness Returns (PS3/360)

Shadows of the Damned (PS3/360)

My sources (i.e. internet rumour mongers) tell me that both of these games might be going out of print so companies are clearing remaining stock.

This rumour, however, may have been started by by a company executive to increase sales.

giri

In preparation for the F1 2011 GAF league, I decide to fire up the game after numerous patches and updates have been released, on both AMD's and Codemasterses sides. Still, DX11 doesn't fire up at all when Crossfire is enabled. At all.

Solidified my stance now on not getting another Codies game ever. Dirt 2 was amazing, Dirt 3 still had quite good performance on my PC. But these F1 games both run like unoptimised shit on my PC, despite endless tweaking. Fuck them.

And yet, it's not the biggest joke sports series out.

That award goes to 2K Sports and their NBA2K series.

They haven't had working online game play in generations!

Shaneus

And yet, it's not the biggest joke sports series out.

That award goes to 2K Sports and their NBA2K series.

Amongst DrivingGAF it is! I'm guessing SportsGAF has NBA2K (although I always thought their games were supposed to be awesome?). Not sure what FPSGAF has, but I'd assume there's one series there which is just constantly NQR.

Only you can say so much with so few words, Jase.
It's a skill I had to learn due to most people telling me to shut up as soon as I start talking.

But you can play as Jordan, so, like, that makes up for it.

Amongst DrivingGAF it is! I'm guessing SportsGAF has NBA2K (although I always thought their games were supposed to be awesome?)
It's a great game, as long as you don't want to play online. It's so good that even Jesus Bynum couldn't help save EA.

Rahk

dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks

anyway, dead island, worth it at $25?
Not sure if single player would be worth it, but the few hours of co-op I played with Kritz and x3n05 were enjoyable.

Then the fuckers started playing Minecraft and we never played it again.

giri

Amongst DrivingGAF it is! I'm guessing SportsGAF has NBA2K (although I always thought their games were supposed to be awesome?). Not sure what FPSGAF has, but I'd assume there's one series there which is just constantly NQR.

FPS gaf has cod as the joke series.

the mechanics of the 2k games are ok (i think they've gone too complicated, so many players don't use most of the mechanics anymore). But the online system is just broke. And apparently several of the SP modes are pretty f'd due to some stupid AI trades between teeams.

Fogz

Not sure if single player would be worth it, but the few hours of co-op I played with Kritz and x3n05 were enjoyable.

Then the fuckers started playing Minecraft and we never played it again.

I'll play! I don't play Minecraft :p Also Exterminatus was fun

It also seems the list is still suffering from doubles, even in the top ~20 with two Resident Evil 4s.

Taking a much stricter set, here are the top ~20 with 6 or more reviews:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
  4. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
  5. Portal 2
  6. The Orange Box
  7. Tetris DS
  8. Chrono Trigger
  9. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
  10. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
  11. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
  12. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  13. Resident Evil 4
  14. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
  15. Assassin's Creed II
  16. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  17. Fallout: New Vegas
  18. Saints Row: The Third
  19. Shadow of the Colossus
  20. Civilization IV
  21. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  22. Super Mario Galaxy
  23. Saints Row 2
  24. The Beatles: Rock Band
  25. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  26. Red Dead Redemption
  27. Super Mario Galaxy 2

And the bottom ~20

1. Fable III
  2. Frontlines: Fuel of War
  3. Battlefield Heroes
  4. Dragon Age II
  5. Duke Nukem Forever
  6. Perfect Dark Zero
  7. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
  8. Call of Duty 3
  9. Spore
  10. Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
  11. Destroy All Humans!
  12. Quake 4
  13. Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
  14. Wii Play
  15. Virtua Fighter 5
  16. Heavenly Sword
  17. Battlefield 2142
  18. The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
  19. Prototype
  20. Bulletstorm
  21. Black & White 2
  22. Age of Empires III
  23. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Note that a lot of games may have the same average score as another. For example, using only two significant figures, The Orange Box and Tetris DS have the same scores, it just defaults to listing them in alphabetical order. Which is why it's a top / bottom "~20", because I don't want to arbitrarily cut off games that received the same score as one another. I could go to a third significant figure, but I feel bad enough having two when none of the other data has more than one.

I'm not sure how much I agree about Dark Messiah being in the bottom 20, but oh well. Otherwise it seems a decent list so far.

Sweet jesus that is an RPG heavy list. I mean I love me some RPGs but apparently not as much as as the rest of AusGAF. I still have to play Witcher. When's it out on Xbox again? Despite buying a new PC i have no incentive to play games on it.

Also some of the games in the bottom 20 makes me sad. Bulletstorm? That game rocked. Prototype and Perfect Dark were both fun. Not fanstastic, they shouldn't be in the top list, but they don't deserve to be in the bottom list either.

Shaneus

FPS gaf has cod as the joke series.

the mechanics of the 2k games are ok (i think they've gone too complicated, so many players don't use most of the mechanics anymore). But the online system is just broke. And apparently several of the SP modes are pretty f'd due to some stupid AI trades between teeams.
Well, F1 in general is a joke. No DX11 with Crossfire for one. Another, negative Crossfire scaling AFTER profile and driver updates from AMD. The first patch from Codies was to fix shit they ALREADY KNEW ABOUT before it was released... and with the GFWL rule that any more than two patches you have to pay for, means that they really only have one patch to fix everything that's discovered once it's been released. The list of shit that had to be corrected was as long as the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It astounds me Dirt 2 (and to a lesser extent, Dirt 3) ran amazingly on my rig, yet a game on exactly the same engine from the same fucking company runs like absolute shit, not counting the (occasionally) game-breaking bugs like corrupt saves and unplayable online modes.

Suffice to say, I'm not holding my breath that Codies will pony up for a third patch that brings the game to a state fit for release.

I miss the days when games didn't need patches :(

Top Bottom