• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Gazunta

Saints Row 3 is fun so far. Only played it for an hour or two last night and a good chunk of that was in the character editor.

I still feel weird about the premise though. I haven't played the earlier ones, but I get the impression that I'm in charge of a gang of criminal psychopaths that kill people for a laugh and are famous. So it's like Natural Born Killers? I much prefer to be a genetically enhanced supercop, at least I feel like I'm a good guy in CRACKDOWN.

My plan is to just ignore the story as much as possible and just screw around with the world. 7/10 - Brendan Brewer

Gazunta

Reptile, PM me your mailing address so I can get your game out.

Also!

38phj.jpg

legend166

Also I'm going to make my first purchase of the Steam sale.

Europa Universalis III Complete.

I look forward to playing it for three hours, being entirely confused, and not touching it again (see: Hearts of Iron II).

Jintor

Oh shit, Driver San Francisco for $25, Red Faction Armageddon for $17. Actually tempted to rebuy for my Master Race platform!

...but I won't, money is tight. But if you haven't played them you should get right on it!

I picked up Renegade Ops, The Witcher EE and The Binding of Isaac this Steam sale. I look forward to playing the latter two sometime next year.

Saints Row 3 is fun so far. Only played it for an hour or two last night and a good chunk of that was in the character editor.

I still feel weird about the premise though. I haven't played the earlier ones, but I get the impression that I'm in charge of a gang of criminal psychopaths that kill people for a laugh and are famous. So it's like Natural Born Killers? I much prefer to be a genetically enhanced supercop, at least I feel like I'm a good guy in CRACKDOWN.

My plan is to just ignore the story as much as possible and just screw around with the world. 7/10 - Brendan Brewer

I finished it last night. I was in the same boat, haven't played 1 or 2, but really liked 3. At first it just made me want to play GTA again, but it really came into its own later on. Full of ridiculous over the top crap but kind of with a point (unlike a lot of the similar stuff in say San Andreas which shat me). The story was even pretty fun (and acknowledge it's stupidity).

But I would happily say Saints 3 is the first GTA clone I've enjoyed anywhere near as much as one of the GTA series.

Shaneus

Oh shit, Driver San Francisco for $25, Red Faction Armageddon for $17. Actually tempted to rebuy for my Master Race platform!

...but I won't, money is tight. But if you haven't played them you should get right on it!
I'd almost be tempted to get Driver, but yada yada backlog something something. That, and I have a feeling it won't be long until it gets discounted even further. By the end of the year, I'm tipping.

Reptile, PM me your mailing address so I can get your game out.

Also!

http://i.imgur.com/38phj.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]One Sydney mother said her 13-year-old son was so addicted to computer games he attended school only intermittently over the past two years and violently resisted attempts to remove him from the screen.

"He starts punching holes through the walls, throwing things around and threatening you . . . all this has to do with the most addictive game World Of Warcraft," she said.[/QUOTE]

That sounds less like video game addiction and more like a lack of discipline.

[QUOTE]In the most extreme cases, teens and young adults spend up to 50 hours almost non-stop playing online computer games, even refusing to take toilet breaks.[/QUOTE]

That's fairly mental though.

Actually the article wasn't as bad as I was expecting. If some of these cases are correct then it is a problem that should be addressed by mental health experts. Probably a case of inflammatory headline writing more than anything.

Choc

Banned

Actually the article wasn't as bad as I was expecting. If some of these cases are correct then it is a problem that should be addressed by mental health experts. Probably a case of inflammatory headline writing more than anything.

well it is News Ltd

giri

Like quite a few of these things, a lot of the peripheral cases will be lazy/bad parenting with the parents looking for an excuse for their failings.

There are some core people though, who are genuinely addicted to the game, but they tend to be people would be addicted to ANYTHING, it just so happens that in these specific cases its' computer games.

There are a few aus-gaffers with kids i believe, and most of them seem to do right by their kids & gaming.

I'd also add that it could be indicative of other issues, and using video games as an excuse to escape from them.

I once didn't bother attending school for three weeks to play games like Shining in the Darkness and Landstalker. I didn't care for school at that time, a good friend of mine never attended and games are much more fun than school so I figured why not?

Gazunta

I didn't go to high school much at all. Just spent my days at the comic shop and at home playing computer games. I turned out fine!

OR DID I?!

midonnay

I spent many many hours on FF7..... shooting hoops and doing squats in those fucking minigames.

Lucky there wasn't WOW in my day. I kinda quit the master race just before online gaming really took off >_>

hamchan

Well, if your child is a nutter then I can see video games just exacerbating his mental issues. It all depends on the person. I used to play 40+ hours of video games a week when I went to school and I still got decent enough marks to get into a good high school, then get into what I wanted in uni ><.

giri

Well, if your child is a nutter then I can see video games just exacerbating his mental issues. It all depends on the person. I used to play 40+ hours of video games a week when I went to school and I still got decent enough marks to get into a good high school, then get into what I wanted in uni ><.

same. Quake 2 (rocket arena was a guilty pleasure) absorbed countless hours of my life. Just as saving up to buy a canopus pure voodoo card did !

Guys as much as it pains me I'm thinking of cancelling the AusGAF server... no one is using it any more - since DICE screwed the Ranking system and made us have to have 4 minimum to play :/

What do other people think about this? I'm still the majority donor and if no one is going to be playing in it, which then means that I can't play in it, I don't want to have to pay :(

midonnay

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...eer-to-help-police-piracy-20111127-1o1hc.html

Users will receive "education notices" three times if they are suspected of pirating before facing the prospect of having their details passed on to copyright holders, allowing them to institute legal action against individual users.

To get user details copyright holders will, as they have been required to do so before, apply for a court order.

The Australia ISPs that have agreed to help in policing infringements include Telstra BigPond, Optus, iiNet, iPrimus and Internode. It's a major reversal of tactics by some of Australia's largest ISPs in the copyright wars.

I'll just place this here .... >_>

Guys as much as it pains me I'm thinking of cancelling the AusGAF server... no one is using it any more - since DICE screwed the Ranking system and made us have to have 4 minimum to play :/

What do other people think about this? I'm still the majority donor and if no one is going to be playing in it, which then means that I can't play in it, I don't want to have to pay :(

That's a bummer. There is no point you spending lots of money if it isn't getting used mate.
I have tried a few times last week to play on it but it just didn't fill up.

Thats a bold theory.
Most often the people prosecuted are BitTorrent, Kazaa, Limewire, et al users mainly because they also actively share content as part of the download process.

It'd be interesting to see them go after usenet -- who, exactly, would you go after there (besides the person uploading the content in the first place)?

giri

Most often the people prosecuted are BitTorrent, Kazaa, Limewire, et al users mainly because they also actively share content as part of the download process.

It'd be interesting to see them go after usenet -- who, exactly, would you go after there (besides the person uploading the content in the first place)?

The people downloading it?

usenet doesn't allow them to sue the person for also sharing, necessarily, but it does for the original copyright violation.

The people downloading it?
Generally downloaders haven't been chased in the past, only people uploading/sharing (as in the aforementioned Torrents, Limewire, etc. It'd be madness to try and prosecute every single person downloading who is not also uploading.

Jintor

Oh my lord, Saints Row 3 is so buggy. Was driving along, car slows down for some reason. Get out, figure front tire has popped or something. Turns out the car has sunk half-into the ground and is having incredible clipping problems. Get out, try to move. Can't. Get back in car, get out of car. Car vanishes when I get out. Hijack car behind, front fender ploughs into the ground and clips again. Try and get out, can't move at all. Hit shift-tab to open steam overlay, this somehow corrects all the issues, three cars appear on top of one another, take damage from physics problems because they're all clipped through one another, and explode.

Buggy Saint's Row!

giri

Since usenet keeps no logs, how will they find them?

*Groan* Really?

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be that hard. It's like saying that as long as a private torrent site remains private, they're explicitly ok (similar, not the same). You just aren't.

Generally downloaders haven't been chased in the past, only people uploading/sharing (as in the aforementioned Torrents, Limewire, etc. It'd be madness to try and prosecute every single person downloading who is not also uploading.

They've gone after both. Usually they go after the people they think are distributing it first if they can, which does lend it to those services. But they've gone after enough people who have just downloaded insane amounts of material too.

Yagharek

Please inform me of the better talent (openers) out there at the moment.

Townsend, Cowan, Rogers would all be worth a look ahead of Warner. Cowan being the pick of the bunch, the other two being in form and younger. But there is also Katich who made a century yesterday and is better than Warner.

Choc

Banned
so i ordered zelda from EBgames au website

it arrived friday, not thursday the release date despite ticking 'release date delivery' on the order

now i emailed them and explained to them what release date delivery means etc etc and don't have that on order forms if you can't meet it.

I also explained that possibly if someone is in NSW and you are in QLD, that you should ship 2 days before release (when possible stock wise) due to the transit times....

so i get this response...

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee shipping timeframes because Australia Post do not provide us with a guaranteed timeframe.

Actually australia post do give time frames and their time frame is NOT 1 day from QLD to NSW non express.......

it continues

Hopefully in future we can have the option modified to set better customer expectation.

How about don't put release date delivery as an option if you can't guarantee it?! I'm not sure what the fuck else that could mean. Release date delivery. Ie on your desk, release date.

If amazon can do it... or at least GET what the FUCK that mean, why can't eb.

Set the bar low. Number 1 rule in Business; under promise and over deliver.

Choc

Banned
Townsend, Cowan, Rogers would all be worth a look ahead of Warner. Cowan being the pick of the bunch, the other two being in form and younger. But there is also Katich who made a century yesterday and is better than Warner.

burning-bridges.jpg

that said the selectors deserved every fucking word of it

Danoss

*Groan* Really?

If they wanted to, it wouldn't be that hard. It's like saying that as long as a private torrent site remains private, they're explicitly ok (similar, not the same). You just aren't.

Oh yeah, they'll capture packets of a number of users, in hopes they can reconstruct something at the end and hope that it's something pirated. ISPs sure don't have anything better to do.

giri

Oh yeah, they'll capture packets of a number of users, in hopes they can reconstruct something at the end and hope that it's something pirated. ISPs sure don't have anything better to do.

No, you're right. Usenet is completely safe and has never resulted in anyone getting done for copyright, EVER.

How are we all so dum!

Top Bottom