• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

giri

Jesus fuck you guys are boring. Talk about something interesting! ENTERTAIN ME!

So anyway, I was totes eyeballing that G510 and then someone here posted about that ubermouse as well. Now I think I have to buy them both. WELL, FUCK YOU THEN, WALLET.

Red pepper and sour cream Kettle chips are pretty nice, too. Addictive as fuck, though.

Also, looking up *good* in-ear headphones that have iPhone controls is a complete timesink. They might be good, but they might be fucking expensive. Or, they might be good value for money, but they might be uncomfortable. Or, they might be comfortable, but they might not be able to be shipped to your country. ARGH.

Anyway, rant/bitch/brainspew over.

If they do capture packets, is there anything they can do if they were transmitted over/via (or whatever the correct terminology is) SSL?

I'm single and have no interest in WoW. Make me a Viva Pinata MMO where you either play as the gardener OR as an actual pinata. I don't care.

Just hook it up to my veins.

Edit: Aaand, last post on the page. Fuck you, world.
Just get a razer deathadder. Great mouse :p

i don't know about having iphone controls on them (eewwww apple) but sure always make great sounding earphones (they even do canal phones).

markot

Banned
I hated the deathadder >.<! MX518 BITCH! Went from that to Deathadder and bought another MX afterwards due to disappoint!

Most of the good brands have iPhone controls you can buy and connect to them anyway.

e.g. Look for the Shure SE215i. They're the same as the SE215s but with the inline thing.

Shaneus

Was only gonna grab one from LS because it was cheap. I don't really have a need for it, I'm already rocking a 518 (which, TBH, I don't see all the fuss over). The cheaper Logitech LCD keyboard seems pretty boss, though. A coworker said he really couldn't feel the difference between his G15 and a mechanical one he'd tried (though he did say he wasn't paying a tonne of attention) so I'll just stick with that.

remz

Was only gonna grab one from LS because it was cheap. I don't really have a need for it, I'm already rocking a 518 (which, TBH, I don't see all the fuss over). The cheaper Logitech LCD keyboard seems pretty boss, though. A coworker said he really couldn't feel the difference between his G15 and a mechanical one he'd tried (though he did say he wasn't paying a tonne of attention) so I'll just stick with that.

Differance between my mechanical keyboard and my old g15 is night and day IMO. I'd never go back. but that's just me heh.

As for mice, the MX518 is the classic but ATM I'd using a roccat kone+, pretty damn good IMO.

Danoss

If they do capture packets, is there anything they can do if they were transmitted over/via (or whatever the correct terminology is) SSL?.

Giri seems to be the self-proclaimed expert, perhaps he'll chime in here.

Nothing to worry about, SSL is awesome. SSL is crackable, given enough time and the right equipment (ie. expensive shit that governments would use to break big crime rings and terrorist threats). Would it be done to stop a user downloading a TV episode or something? No. SSL your little heart away.

Differance between my mechanical keyboard and my old g15 is night and day IMO. I'd never go back. but that's just me heh.

As for mice, the MX518 is the classic but ATM I'd using a roccat kone+, pretty damn good IMO.

+1 to both of these. Mechanical keyboards are far and away superior to rubber dome keyboards. After using a mechanical, I liken typing on a rubber dome keyboard to typing on mashed potatoes.

I don't have the Roccat Kone+, just the regular Kone, though they are quite similar. I really like it, it's very well done.

Attention! Reptilescorpio will be making a once in a lifetime visit to MelbGAF on Friday 16th of December! In honour of this momentous occasion a few establishments have decided to buck the trend and in a show of respect will offer beverages and tasty treats in exchange for legal tender!
The train gets in around 3pm and it would be great to meet some of you colourful characters and uncomfortably exchange presentably until the 3rd or 4th beer/scotch. Our office party is actually on that night in Warrnambool but they are only offering up a 3 hour drinks package, with NO SPIRITS?!? so I decided to take up a Facebook offer to join some mates in a pub crawl on Lonsdale St later in the evening as I haven't seen those silly working stiffs for quite a while.

Since AusGAF is brimming with parents now, I thought a few might be interested in this: http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-push-for-baby-seat-fix-20111125-1nxuq.html
The manager of road user behaviour for motoring lobby group RACV, Melinda Congiu, says the Isofix system has a lower rate of incorrect fitting than the top-tether system used in Australia.
She says research from RACV's infant-seat fitting stations had revealed the seats were incorrectly installed in as many as 70 per cent of cases.
That really should be enough for them to say, "Maybe this shit ain't right".
Currently rocking the Comfi-Cruiser after using a hand-me-down since birth. Super comfy for the little guy and supports his neck great for long trips and is really easy to get him in and out of. Happy as Larry in it too. I think we paid about $140 from some baby store in Ballarat that seemed to be cheaper than anywhere else we could find. They really are a prick to install though. Thankfully the Kia Rio is setup great for it, even better than our Falcon surprisingly.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-26/game-designers-lose-everything-as-us-company-fails/3696854

To contrast with the Telegraph's media-shitting, here's a good ABC Perth news report on the whole Interzone curfuffle, though there's a little "Oh my god, videogames!?!" at the beginning.
Great piece, can't believe they were allowed to move shop to Canberra without paying their wages or tax. I thought they would get banned from conducting business until they sorted that out. Would hate to work for the new company knowing that the guys before you got fucked over.

I've seen marriages break up and careers go down the tubes because of World of Fucking Warcraft.
Says more about the marriage than the game itself. If you have an addictive personality you have to temper it. If you enjoy the game more than your partner then obviously something is wrong in that relationship. If it wasn't WoW it would have been something else. Everything in moderation, sometimes even moderation.

Yeah dude, I said in the message I just sent you as well, I think you have a point. The story itself isn't all that bad, despite the fact it substitutes anecdotal evidence for real concrete evidence.

The headline though... Oh gawd! The headline!
Troll headline to piss people off. Nothing unexpected from a filth rag. Would be like saying "Jews are greedy and covert their earnings!" for an article about how people of the Jewish faith are more efficient with their money than another group.

Get a cricket sticky created, guys.
There already is a cricket thread!

Gabe and Tycho's three-a-week idea was best.
I agree, enough to keep you interested but not too much that you get sick of it.

My big addiction was ctrl alt del. That was soo addictive ;_;. Probably because a friend was also really into it, so it was nice to have some one to chat about it with
Yup I was big into it as well 5 or so years back. Eventually I got bored with the more character based approach even before the lazy miscarriage story event. Just felt like he was running out of funny shit to draw.

It's a supportive environment here.
I actually like going back through Penny-Arcade's archives, they're still pretty funny. Megatokyo less so, but it always was more of a shojo manga than anything else. I can't believe at one point in time I actually liked VGCats.
In the less webcomic centred world, it was a big relief to find that Tintin, Asterix and (especially) Calvin and Hobbes get better the older you get, and a big disappointment to find that The Far Side and Dilbert get worse (The Far Side holds up alright actually, but looking back on it, Dilbert is really not fantastic).
AusGAF 5/5 isn't quite as supportive as it used to be. ;)
VGCats WAS indeed good. The Wii comics were brilliant with Potatomoto starving the hardcore Potatos. I think he just got distracted and his efforts got lazy.
Also the Dilbert cartoon is still awesome.
I used to read AppleGeeks too which was fantastic until they slowed up too much and I got out of the habit. Also the robot chick became their friend and it just got boring.

Just get a razer deathadder. Great mouse :p
Saw that EBGames had them for $69 during the current sale, was tempted to grab one but everyone was talking about the MX518 at the time.

Fogz

Yup I was big into it as well 5 or so years back. Eventually I got bored with the more character based approach even before the lazy miscarriage story event. Just felt like he was running out of funny shit to draw.

Wait, that was real?? I just thought Yahtzee was nuts or something

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Attention! Reptilescorpio will be making a once in a lifetime visit to MelbGAF on Friday 16th of December! In honour of this momentous occasion a few establishments have decided to buck the trend and in a show of respect will offer beverages and tasty treats in exchange for legal tender!
The train gets in around 3pm and it would be great to meet some of you colourful characters and uncomfortably exchange presentably until the 3rd or 4th beer/scotch. Our office party is actually on that night in Warrnambool but they are only offering up a 3 hour drinks package, with NO SPIRITS?!? so I decided to take up a Facebook offer to join some mates in a pub crawl on Lonsdale St later in the evening as I haven't seen those silly working stiffs for quite a while.

:( I'd be at work and wouldn't be able to get into the CBD until like 6:30pm

and yeah I started to give up around that time, a few months before then i just kept checking in and i dunno i just stopped checking in

Wait, that was real?? I just thought Yahtzee was nuts or something
It was a bit overblown. It wasn't done for comedic value you could tell he was trying to be serious and tell a story through his comics but he just didn't have the chops to pull it off. When you are dealing with taboo stuff like that you need to really nail it. Once it blew up he tried to distance the comic from it which made it even worse as he had an opportunity to impart what it is like to go through it. Losing your kid is really fucked up, know more people than I would like who have lost their child before birth.

giri

I hated the deathadder >.<! MX518 BITCH! Went from that to Deathadder and bought another MX afterwards due to disappoint!

The death adder is a great mouse. I went from a G7 (i think that was the logitech wireless ) was not overly impressed with the build quality of them, to the razer mamba (razer wireless mouse) was very happy with the feel of the mouse and the software but the battery died after only about 6 months?, to the death adder, wired mouse version of the mamba with an even better optical thingy (very similar body to the mamba). As long as i can get a similar one from Razer, i'll probably stick with them.

AusGAF 5/5 isn't quite as supportive as it used to be. ;)
VGCats WAS indeed good. The Wii comics were brilliant with Potatomoto starving the hardcore Potatos. I think he just got distracted and his efforts got lazy.
Also the Dilbert cartoon is still awesome.
I used to read AppleGeeks too which was fantastic until they slowed up too much and I got out of the habit. Also the robot chick became their friend and it just got boring.

It was a bit overblown. It wasn't done for comedic value you could tell he was trying to be serious and tell a story through his comics but he just didn't have the chops to pull it off. When you are dealing with taboo stuff like that you need to really nail it. Once it blew up he tried to distance the comic from it which made it even worse as he had an opportunity to impart what it is like to go through it. Losing your kid is really fucked up, know more people than I would like who have lost their child before birth.

0_o

And i used to read apple geeks too, but yeah... it got very slow, and i didn't know about rss back then, so eventually just tuned out.

Shaneus

PS. Only comic I ever really got into and read and enjoyed was The Far Side. Or is that a cartoon? Anyway, who cares? It was better than everything.
Done. I'll make sure I knock off work early to maximise the festivizing.

markot

Banned
Hay, speaking about sport. Stop speaking about sport.

First of all its boring, second of all you guys get your panties in a bunch over it >.<;

Omikron

PS. Only comic I ever really got into and read and enjoyed was The Far Side. Or is that a cartoon? Anyway, who cares? It was better than everything.

Done. I'll make sure I knock off work early to maximise the festivizing.

I think the 16th is my christmas party. So likely out at this stage.

All this work xmas party talk, makes me wonder when/where mine is. I'm going to make a prediction and say it will be terrible if the first few months working there are anything to go by.

All this work xmas party talk, makes me wonder when/where mine is. I'm going to make a prediction and say it will be terrible if the first few months working there are anything to go by.

Even though I helped pick the venue and there are only 4 of us office staff, 7 workers and about 13 sub-contractors the fact that it is only for 3 hours and only beer means a long train ride to Melbourne and a night out on the town would be better. Also it mean I get to sleep in on Saturday!

Asus N73 Notebook
17.3 inch 16:9 Full HD LED Display (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.20 GHz) with Turbo boost up to 3.1Ghz
12GB DDR3 RAM
Massive 1.5TB storage (2x750GB HDD)
SonicMaster sound technology by Bang & Olufsen
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower® Speakers
Super-multi DVD drive
WiFi - Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 1GB DDR3
2 megapixel webcam
1 x USB 3.0 + 3 x USB 2.0 ports + 1 x HDMI
One touch multimedia buttons
Asus Video Magic Technology for a vivid display
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
1 year global warranty

For $1200 delivered on Catch of the Day right now.

Is this a good deal?

markot

Banned
Asus N73 Notebook
Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.20 GHz) with Turbo boost up to 3.1Ghz
12GB DDR3 RAM
Super-multi DVD drive
2 megapixel webcam
1 year global warranty

Is this a good deal?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

Are those benchmarks ceptable to you?!

Shaneus

Asus N73 Notebook
12GB DDR3 RAM
Super-multi DVD drive
2 megapixel webcam
1 year global warranty

Is this a good deal?
It would only be a good deal if the "turbo boost" came with a button attached to a green 2x7-segment display that went from LO to HI when you pushed it. Without that, then what's the fucking point of having turbo?

Axiom

Sorry to neglect you thread, but I got sucked into the Old Republic beta.

Anyone going to import it? I keep eyeing Amazon for it

Jintor

I think I might be done with Skyrim. Might finish up the main quest and never touch it again I guess.

Best Elder Scrolls game yet, of course. Same problems as before, but the highs were so much higher.

Rezbit

I guess I can understand the appeal of laptops in some ways, but when I see that I paid only 100 clams more for my beast of a desktop I shake my head. Gaming laptops seem especially redundant, may as well get one of those cheap $500 laptop jobs IMO.

Jintor

Only time I would consider a grunty laptop is if I were to go for like a year overseas or something.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. I better go grab Skyward Sword this week, since I'm more or less done with Skyrim and Arkham...

oipic

I think I might be done with Skyrim. Might finish up the main quest and never touch it again I guess.

I'm still in the warm glow of the honeymoon period, but I'm wondering at what stage this feeling kicks-in (Bajo posted the same sentiments as you on Twitter yesterday).

How far into the game are you, Jintor, how many hours have you put in etc?

(oh, and g'day all - first AusGAF post I think)

Jintor

I don't doubt it!

I'm back to imagining games in my head again. I might go read some books and learn how to plot this shit out... books about game design... just to pile on top of my fantasy backlog...

How far into the game are you, Jintor, how many hours have you put in etc?

117 hours played (and I suspect despite my protestations I will slog through another 10 or so). The fatigue set in at about 70 hours though, I've been listening to podcasts while playing ever since as I'm powerful enough to basically autopilot most everything at this level. Still, I got bored with Oblivion at 30 hours, Fallout at 60 hours and New Vegas at... uh... 60 hours also, so Skyrim has managed to hold my interest more than their other games.

I think I might have a longer piece of writing in me about why this is. I suspect a lot of this is simply due to a Brute Force method - there's just so much more to do in Skyrim.

markot

Banned

Best Elder Scrolls game yet, of course. Same problems as before, but the highs were so much higher.

Well yeah the mountains are integral to the game! LOLOL

And screw swtor, if they cant even be assed to announce a release date in Australia, then I wont announce a release date for a purchase! Feh to them I say! (Also I go the jist of the game pretty much >.< and I hate character customisability in it, or the complete lack of anything other than a human pretty much.... )

Rezbit

You should, Zelda's pretty good.

I can't swoon enough about this game, seriously. I know some people have had issues, but I have had close enough to zero issues with the controls. No recalibration for me so far. Flows so well, I don't want to put it down.

The only problem is OH GOD RUPEES I'M DROWNING IN THEM

Deeku

I can't swoon enough about this game, seriously. I know some people have had issues, but I have had close enough to zero issues with the controls. No recalibration for me so far. Flows so well, I don't want to put it down.
I really really love it too! I did have some issues today during the 4th? dungeon (spoiler:
the one in the desert
) with the item you get. It just got a bit hectic with enemies coming at you and trying to aim that thing properly at stuff.

The combat is great though. I've gotten used to how it works and it's just soo satisfying. Also, every time Link walks into a new dungeon, BAD ASS!

Omikron

I am going to be messing around in Skyrim for some time to come. Fuck all those other games.

I think I played for around 2 hours tonight and did one minor quest. :-/

Deeku

FIX YO SPOILERS
Woops! :lol Not that bad though, just a location!

Re rupees: I have a lot right now, but I have used a lot too! I think it's the first time a Zelda game has things to actually spend rupees on that are useful, not just more bombs, mini games etc.

Axiom

Character customization in Old Republic is crap, gameplay is WoW pre-Lich King...but it's basically a Bioware RPG with a chat window. Everything is voiced (which adds a surprising amount) and you get your own in-game party and well told (so far) storylines.

More charm than DA2 and I didn't hate that...but I am a sucker for the Bioware dialogue system, I even enjoyed the hell out of Alpha Protocol

vv
That Bioware hasn't ripped off the Alpha Protocol conversation system wholesale for Mass Effect 3 is just ridiculousness

More charm than DA2 and I didn't hate that...but I am a sucker for the Bioware dialogue system, I even enjoyed the hell out of Alpha Protocol

To be fair Alpha Protocol was Obsidian and the time limit really added to the conversation system. That and they played out like actual conversations.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Should have Mario Kart on Wednesday. Yay!

Top Bottom