• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

markot

Banned
I dont think anyone cares about a surplus now given the worlds economic precipice >.< Just seems to be the people in Parliament...

Choc

Banned
I love that he complains about MK7 doing nothing new, but he gave MW3 a 9.5...

he'd like Activisions 2012 lineup to arrive on his doorstep

that said Hyper gave it an 8 which surprised me

and Jintors review of Kirby was awesome :d

Shaneus

I played zookeeper about 20 years ago on pc. Fuck all you new dawners.
There was that edutainment game you spoke of, plus there was an arcade game in 1982. Some stupid review site mentioned that the history of Zookeeper DX was that the first game in the series was that said arcade game, before it was "updated" on the DS 25 years or so later before coming out on iOS. Fucking idiot.
would have been better if it was the actual karaoke bit of Live version
It was... it had the words appear at the bottom of the screen.
Is it zookeeper dx?
Oh my yes. But make sure you search for "Zookeeper". If you search for zoo keeper, it doesn't come up with it, just a knockoff game and an app for the movie called Zookeeper (which I'm guessing is based on the DS/iOS game, probably according to that first reviewer).

giri

This is Mario Kart's 7th game of doing nothing new but only Modern Warfare's 3rd.

How many successful franchises ever DRASTICALLY change what they're doing?

why would you?

You buy MW3 to piss about in modern warfare settings. you just hope that they've upgraded things, fixed game play bugs, made the mechanics better, and prettier.

What you don't want them to do is to change it into MW4, fighter pilot.

Choc

Banned
lol, how do you manage to blame the Libs for that?

well young liberal its like this,

I'm not blaming the libs for the budget, i am blaming them for having zero flexibility on the surplus requirement at all

The fact is we should probably not have a surplus next year due to Europe and the stimulus required to kick the economy along but Swan and Gillard know that Tony will go at them like a pack of dogs if they don't

Therefore because tony is demanding a surplus even though everything has changed and gone to shit in Europe, the government cannot run the country properly as politically they cannot afford to not have a surplus even though every economist is saying they should not be aiming at a surplus

So basically because we have the Noalition we cannot run the country effectively and soundly based on economists.

and the libs blocking Malaysia and then the high court decision has added 200 million dollars to the cost of asylum seekers.

I am not the biggest fan of labor but there is zero doubt that TA is having a very bad fucking effect on this country. You know why everything is slowing down here? because people aren't spending because dickhead is on the tv every day telling everyone how bad it is

fuck me, he needs to be a polly in Europe right now to know what bad is.....

edit: in mario kart you can customise your karts for the first time. Thats new....

Fredescu

maybe if Abbott wasn't so fucking blind to this fact, the government could. But because abbott is such a tool, they can't manage the country properly
It's not Abbott's fault that Labor don't have the balls to implement good policy and sell it to the electorate.

giri

BTW, i'm glad someone is putting pressure on labor to produce a balanced fucking budget. Massive deficits and huge debts are driving policies in many countries around the world, because it's either fix your debt or the country is bankrupt (lets ask Argentina how that's working out). Lets not become one of them.

Gazunta

So the bunch of words I wrote that Jintor suggested I turn into a comic has been comicalised.

Zookeeper DX is awwwwwesome. My mother in law has gone through two DS's playing that game obsessively every day for the past two or three years. I had to use the jaws of life to get my iPad out of her vice-like grip once she found out there was an iOS version. It's really well done, just wish the high score tables weren't so broken :(

Fredescu

BTW, i'm glad someone is putting pressure on labor to produce a balanced fucking budget. Massive deficits and huge debts are driving policies in many countries around the world, because it's either fix your debt or the country is bankrupt (lets ask Argentina how that's working out). Lets not become one of them.
True, but we're a long way off that. They're trying to get back into surplus ASAP at the expense of all else purely for political reasons, not because it's a good idea.

jambo

This is Mario Kart's 7th game of doing nothing new but only Modern Warfare's 3rd.

There is new shit though. New tracks, new power-ups, new characters, new game modes, new gameplay.

Every MK game since the original NES version has had new stuff added, subtracted and polished.

I just find it preposterous that he gives MW3 a 9.5 and MK7 a 5. He even said in the MW3 review that it's mostly the same game, then when the same thing happens for MK7 he shits on it.

giri

True, but we're a long way off that. They're trying to get back into surplus ASAP at the expense of all else purely for political reasons, not because it's a good idea.

Maybe, and i get that defecits CAN be good. But lets not pretend that large chunk of the last lot of debt (rudd bucks being a large slice) was moronically spent.

Why that money wasn't spent building infrastructure projects, paying people at all levels salaries, i'll never know.

midonnay

I dont think anyone cares about a surplus now given the worlds economic precipice >.< Just seems to be the people in Parliament...

see today's headlines in news limited because middle class welfare was pared back marginally?

multiply that by ten if the government's creative accounting falls on their face ._.

Gazunta

Every MK game since the original NES version has had new stuff added, subtracted and polished.
tumblr_lhiyvhLTSe1qbw2q1o1_500.jpg

midonnay

uhm...thats what the box looked like? o_O

my first "nintendo" console was an asian knockoff

edit: oh fake box =,= fooled me good

Choc

Banned

yes but if we force ourselves into a recession by having a surplus, is that good economic management, of course its not

of course labor SHOULD have a surplus but given Europes situation, being so one eyed that it must be a surplus is wrong

Giri the question you should be asking is why did Howard let our infrastructure go to fucking shit nationwide whilst building a massive surplus

Abbott is lucky labor is so bad. Why? because in the 2 prime minister preferred poll he is trailing gillard. 2 party he isnt, but clearly the electorate thinks tony is a massive tool

Also Tony suffered another loss yesterday when Fitch ratings upgraded Australia to AAA credit rating in US dollars

No other government in Australian history has had all 3 major ratings agencies @ AAA

You might want to ask the California employees who got IOU's for a few weeks about that.

And the Californians who got IOU's for their tax return.
They've only been in debt since they became the US, and 80% of the past 70 years has been budget deficits. There's no problem at all!

Also I don't have a copy of the link to the AusGAF Community Google docs thing either. I couldn't find it in the email of the account that was given access...

midonnay

Labor can't get a surplus as easily.....because both sides of government have basically privatised every public good worth selling...

theres basically australia post and Medibank private left....and maybe NBN if it isn't aborted.

giri

yes but if we force ourselves into a recession by having a surplus, is that good economic management, of course its not

of course labor SHOULD have a surplus but given Europes situation, being so one eyed that it must be a surplus is wrong

Giri the question you should be asking is why did Howard let our infrastructure go to fucking shit nationwide whilst building a massive surplus

Because he was paying off debt? So that we're not as fucked as Europe?

Our infrastructure also wasn't "fucking shit", but there was, and always will be, room for improvement.

In fact, one of the first things Rudd did was slash HUGE amounts of infrastructure spending that the libs had planned.

But we'll ignore all that.

Agyar

Tonight we saw without doubt teh most biased reporting against the Government on every television channel so far.

Yes, the baby bonus is shedding $400 but guess what, teh paid parental leave (which most people except those who are still in school) will get is staying the same

how many mentions did that rate? zero

Oh no its all about working families being worse off. Ok FACTS CHANNEL 7 9 and ABC

its like this

the baby bonus is now $5000

the EIGHTEEN WEEK PAID PARENTAL LEAVE SYSTEM (which WORKING FAMILIES GET) is equivilent of $573 for 18 weeks

geez, i dunno approximately 9k sounds a whole lot better than 5 and thats what they get for PPL.

I am OVER HOW FUCKING BAD OUR JOURNALISTS ARE IN AUSTRALIA

its HORRENDOUS how bad they are. Using twitter etc without checking sources, and not even looking up a piece of simple government legislation

the whole lot needs to go, they are useless mouthpieces for the management of teh stations. No integrity, none. Fuck them.

Subscribe to Crikey.

legend166

It's not Abbott's fault that Labor don't have the balls to implement good policy and sell it to the electorate.

Exactly!

Choc, blaming Tony Abbott for low consumer confidence is completely ridiculous. You're waaaaaaay overestimating how much attention the general populace pays to politics when an election isn't on.

Jintor

Zookeeper DX is awwwwwesome. My mother in law has gone through two DS's playing that game obsessively every day for the past two or three years. I had to use the jaws of life to get my iPad out of her vice-like grip once she found out there was an iOS version. It's really well done, just wish the high score tables weren't so broken :(

Tell me more, batman

Choc

Banned
Exactly!

Choc, blaming Tony Abbott for low consumer confidence is completely ridiculous. You're waaaaaaay overestimating how much attention the general populace pays to politics when an election isn't on.

its not fucking bullshit

each night on 7 and 9 you have abbott rabbiting off on the news about confidence and the news limited shock jocks writing about it as well

they dont follow politics but they watch the news. You are overestimating Australians
ability to not disect what they read between bullshit and truth and underestimating the medias agenda and influence on the general populace

its well quoted every day by many people that this is the truth. Tony is harming confidence.

Also businesses have said by him saying he will repeal the carbon tax they have no idea what to invest in and so they are not investing at all

midonnay

http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/johnquiggin/news97/Privatisation9711.html

Between 1991 and 1996, the government sold its shares in the Commonwealth Bank prices between $5.40 and $10.00 per share, yielding sale proceeds of approximately $6.5 billion. The interest saved this year would be about $400 million, and some of that would have been recouped in income tax. Meanwhile, the shareholders of the Bank received fully franked dividends in excess of $1 billion, without taking account of substantial retained earnings. The loss to taxpayers associated with privatisation alone was well over $600 milllion this year. There has been no year since privatisation commenced when interest savings exceeded the profits foregone, and the loss seems likely to grow even greater in the future. In present value terms, the privatisation of the Commonwealth Bank has cost Australian taxpayers at least $10 billion. Other privatisations, such as that of the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, have been even worse.

how much are commonwealth bank shares now?

not to mention paying Telstra 30 billion to lease back the copper network.....

Add that to the tax cuts the coalition put through just before the GFC and you can see why the public has been royally fucked.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Trying to get an objectionable review of anything Nintendo from most of the mainstream gaming media (and 99% of its the US media, not AU) is like well something very hard.

Nintendo 'ruined' a lot these guys childhoods you see, these guys are all late 20s to early 30 year olds who are still just giant kids who argue over which is better Sonic or Mario, PSX or N64's. They're still pissing on Nintendo for the whole 'motion' thing and 'killing gaming'.

There is also the whole fact that Nintendo as a company don't do the whole PR junket thing. So no free flights to the HQ to play this game, no hotel rooms booked, no PR kit full of V drinks, a mini-fridge and copies of Maxim for every big game that comes out. No hookers and blowjobs to get a good review either.

Every review of MW3 has been the same, 'its the same game, no change to the formula etc'. But it still gets a 9, 10 out of 10. Why?

Reviewer was probably getting his dick sucked the whole time he wrote it.

Fredescu

its well quoted every day by many people that this is the truth. Tony is harming confidence.
Abbott is just doing his job as an opposition leader. Of course he's contrarian as fuck. If the public are listening to him more than the government, the fault doesn't just lie with him.

Gazunta

Tell me more, batman
Fans of the genre will be happy, others should try before they buy.

7/10 - Brendan Brewer

Much nicer to play with your finger than a DS stylus, which iin turn was much better than using the D-pad on the GBA version, and the huge screen is awesome! However there are less game modes and I particularly miss the 6 minute challenge mode. But totally worth a few bucks

Oh my yes. But make sure you search for "Zookeeper". If you search for zoo keeper, it doesn't come up with it, just a knockoff game and an app for the movie called Zookeeper (which I'm guessing is based on the DS/iOS game, probably according to that first reviewer).
Bought. Will give it a whirl on the train ride home.

Fredescu

Every review of MW3 has been the same, 'its the same game, no change to the formula etc'. But it still gets a 9, 10 out of 10. Why?

Reviewer was probably getting his dick sucked the whole time he wrote it.
MW3 has a metascore of 89 while MK7 has a metascore of 87. That's near enough as makes no difference. Meanwhile Zelda outscored a tonne of blockbusters. Not seeing the anti-Nintendo bias here.

r1chard

see today's headlines in news limited because middle class welfare was pared back marginally?

multiply that by ten if the government's creative accounting falls on their face ._.

That'd be the same News Corporation that's shouting for a surplus SURPLUS SURPLUS AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Choc

Banned
Abbott is just doing his job as an opposition leader. Of course he's contrarian as fuck. If the public are listening to him more than the government, the fault doesn't just lie with him.

Having the nickname Dr no is not necessarily a good thing

he has rejected bad policy, which is good but he has rejected every policy, even good ones. Therefore its a bit boy who cried wolf

effective opposition, opposes that which is shit. There has been real shit but by rejecting malayisa (and i am not saying i supported it) he has shot his own party in the foot because it made Howards law illegal.

r1chard

That's crap. People love to bag a government. Abbott is just taking the cheap, easy line of no substance.

Top Bottom