• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

giri

I did play MW3's single player to the end. Calling it buggy or unpolished is incorrect. For me, I found it fun without it going far beyond the CoD template. It wasn't as silly as MW2 and the story was presented better. Yes, there was a story. The only major criticisms I have are P2P networking for ranked games and dedicated server only for unranked and the maps aren't as good as previous games.

tl;dr it's not shit just because it's popular.
I learned this from trolling WoW players.

Are we getting outraged about every review score that's not 9/10 now are we? People have hated on each new Mario since at least the N64 version. Yet they sell gangbusters and people love playing them. Think the 3Ds has tanked? Wait until you see a press release in about a year's time when they've sold a few million each of Mario 3D and MK7.

People are complaining about the lack of standards, clarity, transparency and consistency of a given reviewers scoring. Which is a perfectly legitimate thing to discuss.

I didn't play MW3, probably never will. Not my thing. But most reviewer point it has its flaws, but the overall MP experience is still as fun as the last, so if that's your thing, it's a 9/10. No complaints. That i a legitimate way to review the game.

But to then hold double standards and say that MK is a 5/10 because its the exact same game... when you just gave MW3 a 9/10 with out criticisng it for being the exact same game.... and thats your only real complaint? It's points to the reviewer either being bought and paid for, or being absolutely terrible at their job and completely irrelevant going forward, because his ratings seem entirely arbitrary and inconsistent.

It is still irrelevant. I read Jim Sterlings review and I can't see anything wrong with it. He makes good points and explains why it's mediocre. All I see from you guys whinging is "but he gave MW3 a good score" which doesn't address his points at all. If his review is terrible then explain why.
Explain how inconsistency isn't relevant.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Next you'll be saying Crash Team Racing was better.

My wife thinks Crash Team Racing was better

Crash Team Racing is what Playstation 1 owners clung too to help them to get over not having Mario Kart to play.

They ALWAYS bring it up.

leca

Can't believe it's only Wednesday, first time to drop past GAF in a few days to catch up. Has been good so far :)

Looking forward to playing a lot of Mario Kart this weekend, the Saturday release date is still baffling me though.

Omikron

I must admit, I probably enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing over Mario Kart 64.

Super Mario Kart is still god however for Kart racing.

Gazunta

Crash Team Racing was better. (As a single player game)

Ryan Davis' 6/10 review of Mario Kart 7 was really well done. I think he totally nailed how I feel about the series.

Consistency IS important when you're using the same metric (in this case, a base10 numerical score out of ten) to rate games. if I gave MW3 7 oranges and I gave Mario Kart 5 peaches (HA) then it wouldn't matter.

Halfway through my week of being a bachelor. To my shock the house is relatively clean and the cats haven't spontaneously combusted. *knocks on wood*

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MK7 sure is going to be cheap at JB on Saturday *wink wink nudge nudge*

Explain how it is. How is it relevant what he reviewed MW3 when he is perfectly right on why MK7 is mediocre.

If his primary complaint with MK7 is that it's a samey franchise game, the fact that he doesn't have a problem with other samey franchise games being samey franchise games is relevant, surely?

Omikron

Someone create a webpage that simply compiles a list of game review websites and a semi filled in form something like...

Hi <reviewername>.

I didn't agree with your of <n> for game <y>, it really should have received a <z>!!!1!

Thanks muchly,

<completelynonbiasedfanboyusername>

Purely for a place for venting, save me reading all these fucking complaints about inane and pointless reviews.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cheaper than Big W?

$48

Seriously why would you import?

Yeah, this cheap.

And we'll have new copies of 360 Skyrim on Thursday if all goes according to plan.

Rezbit

Have you played it, has everyone whinging played it?

And maybe 'perfectly right' was a bad choice of words, but everything he says sound pretty reasonable. What I'm saying is he is either right on MK7 or he is not. Weak straw man arguments about what he reviewed MW3 makes no difference.

Who's whinging? You seem to be the only one harping on it.

The dude sucks as a reviewer anyway. Note: this review of that reviewer may also suck.

Yeah, this cheap.

And we'll have new copies of 360 Skyrim on Thursday if all goes according to plan.

Big W or JB - who gets my allegiance? Two shops enter one shop leaves (with my money).

Fredescu

Have you played it, has everyone whinging played it?
No, I'm like you, don't have a 3DS and not interested in MK7. I just like a good argument.

And maybe 'perfectly right' was a bad choice of words, but everything he says sound pretty reasonable.
That's better. Still, it's not all reasonable. I would have to play it myself, but you can make any game sound negative if that's what you set out to do. I don't like this paragraph:

"Other fresh additions include gliding equipment and underwater sections. Although these new elements provide something aesthetically different, they don't actually change the game. Underwater racing is a little slower and air gliding is a little floatier, but their impact on the gameplay is minimal at best, appearing merely as vapid contrivances that exist to provide the illusion of variety rather than actually altering the core experience."

He says they don't alter anything, then he says what they alter, and then says they don't alter anything again.

EatChildren

I brain farted and thought of Target.

Agyar

Initial shipment of PC sold out, so we had to get more, and now the 360 verison is out. It's extremely popular.

Red Vs. Yellow

I went to buy it yesterday and found there were no copies. The one time I actually go to buy from local retail and I can't even get what I want. I will try again tomorrow.

Jintor

Oh yeah, and I noticed that it turns out I don't have a Wii MotionPlus controller anyway, so I stupidly bought a copy of Zelda and can't play it :T

Whatever, I'll pick up a Bluetooth dongle and a wireless IR tracker while I'm out and set up Dolphin...

Deeku

Oh yeah, and I noticed that it turns out I don't have a Wii MotionPlus controller anyway, so I stupidly bought a copy of Zelda and can't play it :T

Whatever, I'll pick up a Bluetooth dongle and a wireless IR tracker while I'm out and set up Dolphin...
Shoulda ponied up the cash for the LE!

Rezbit

Bwuh? Won't you still need M+?

Also how much is a bluetooth dongle and IR thingy. I want to use dolphin but I'm ign'ant.

legend166

No, I'm like you, don't have a 3DS and not interested in MK7. I just like a good argument.

That's better. Still, it's not all reasonable. I would have to play it myself, but you can make any game sound negative if that's what you set out to do. I don't like this paragraph:

"Other fresh additions include gliding equipment and underwater sections. Although these new elements provide something aesthetically different, they don't actually change the game. Underwater racing is a little slower and air gliding is a little floatier, but their impact on the gameplay is minimal at best, appearing merely as vapid contrivances that exist to provide the illusion of variety rather than actually altering the core experience."

He says they don't alter anything, then he says what they alter, and then says they don't alter anything again.

What's he expect? It's a racing game? How much can you change the core experience of a racing game? You're always going to be racing things.

Choc

Banned
Someone create a webpage that simply compiles a list of game review websites and a semi filled in form something like...

Hi <reviewername>.

I didn't agree with your of <n> for game <y>, it really should have received a <z>!!!1!

Thanks muchly,

<completelynonbiasedfanboyusername>

Purely for a place for venting, save me reading all these fucking complaints about inane and pointless reviews.

Lol awesome idea, like the one TWU did for Qantas

Skyrim sold out?

Yeah its out at my local as well

Fredescu

What's he expect? It's a racing game? How much can you change the core experience of a racing game? You're always going to be racing things.
Well, you could have new tracks (16 out of 32 are new) or new powerups (three new powerups here) or perhaps some kart customisation (which by the way is at once "the only vaguely compelling element" and "about as streamlined and restricted as you could ever hope to get"). You could also ask for new terrain types (sky, underwater), but that's asking a bit much.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Yeah, this cheap.

Ah, I couldnt wait that long :( went to EB instead.. got the limited edition atleast!

speaking of Shaneus! I'll pop onto steam tonight around 8pm'ish so you can PM me your deets!

Top Bottom