• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

:(

The staff member who served me was too nice too. I actually tossed up on waiting for your stock to come in (HIS NAME WAS NICK, IS THAT YOU) but the fact that Shaneus was delivering me an xbox within 2 hours meant I wanted it now ;_;

SORRY.

FORGIVE ME

Kritz

Banned
wait.

skyrim... xbox?

I didn't know they were still porting games to last generation's systems.

LOL

LOL

I'm here 'til thursday.

Gazunta

Why not Friday, Kritz. WHAT'S YOUR BEEF WITH FRIDAY.

Just saw my traffic for November. Holy shit. Over a quarter of a million Uniques in a month. Time to start the IPO and retire rich.

If you guys voted for AIE as best distributor I would not complain :)

Explain how it is. How is it relevant what he reviewed MW3 when he is perfectly right on why MK7 is mediocre.
I cannot judge people's recommendations without first knowing how their opinions, values, priorities or tastes line up compared with my own. If I wanted inconsistent and untrustworthy advice, I'd take music recommendations from my mother, movie recommendations from my wife, book recommendations from a manga fan and debating tips from Amir0x.

I'm like that with all game reviewers though. If I don't "know" the reviewer's tastes, I'll skim through a few different reviews they've written on games I did and didn't like and see how they tackled those. There are only a handful of reviewers I trust though, because this is a lot of effort to go through and I really only do it for games I'm on the fence about.

Rahk

No, I'm like you, don't have a 3DS and not interested in MK7. I just like a good argument.

That's better. Still, it's not all reasonable. I would have to play it myself, but you can make any game sound negative if that's what you set out to do. I don't like this paragraph:

"Other fresh additions include gliding equipment and underwater sections. Although these new elements provide something aesthetically different, they don't actually change the game. Underwater racing is a little slower and air gliding is a little floatier, but their impact on the gameplay is minimal at best, appearing merely as vapid contrivances that exist to provide the illusion of variety rather than actually altering the core experience."

He says they don't alter anything, then he says what they alter, and then says they don't alter anything again.
I don't see the problem with that paragraph. He says that the game now has gliding and underwater portions, but the core gameplay is still essentially the same in these areas.

I don't see the problem with the review in general either. He addresses points other than the series becoming stale throughout the review. In the last paragraph he directly says that it is only half the issue. Perhaps he could have focused more on the slowness and mundanity of the game rather than the staleness though.

Also, I think it is unfair to compare it to his MW3 review. They are different genres with different expectations. MW is also a relatively new series compared to MK. Perhaps in a few years time he'll be saying the same things about MW.

Dead Man

Can we just agree that reviewers are in general not good writers, not good critics, and generally poor at logic?

Edit: Some of them are funny though, those ones are okay.

Kritz

Banned
A drawing I made while waiting for a video to compile! The image is big so I am not embedding it OR RESIZING IT. I think I will make it my avatar.

Also, I played LIMBO last night and finished it. I recorded 1.5 hours of footage from the game (totalling around 100GB for the 1080p uncompressed files). I will do a review of this game when I get the time.

I'm making a headstart in editing the footage, and have started making this really dumb thing. ALSO SPOILERS OUT THE ASS It's mostly so I can, like, get all the interesting parts of my footage to put together. The actual review will be cut down to a minute as normal, but I kinda like how much I can ruin that game by putting music over it.

The review will be more or less making fun of how so many modern reviews just explain what happens in the game ("the game has good graphics and controls and these things happened in the game: you shot a dude, you sat in a turret, you pushed a box"). I think that might be funny.

OH, Windows Movie Maker is fucking terrible. Have I ever mentioned that? I think I am going to find a better solution.

Rezbit

I don't see the problem with that paragraph. He says that the game now has gliding and underwater portions, but the core gameplay is still essentially the same in these areas.

I don't see the problem with the review in general either. He addresses points other than the series becoming stale throughout the review. In the last paragraph he directly says that it is only half the issue. Perhaps he could have focused more on the slowness and mundanity of the game rather than the staleness though.

Also, I think it is unfair to compare it to his MW3 review. They are different genres with different expectations. MW is also a relatively new series compared to MK. Perhaps in a few years time he'll be saying the same things about MW.

Honestly that paragraph he just sounds like a smarmy arsehole. Obviously by using fresh there he is being a sarcastic tool. I just really don't like the way he writes, I can just feel him loving his own writing. Probably irrational, mind.

Trial and Error the Game: Featuring LIMBO

jambo

Rahk

Yet it's also seen more releases in less than half as long.

Time still needs to be taken into consideration. Mario Kart is a game that you can constantly go back to over a long period of time, and I know that I personally have played the series a hell of a lot since the original and I am not excited at the prospect of playing more of the same.

The single player of MW on the other hand is something you are only likely to play once for several hours. Multiplayer might be a different story.

Fredescu

My problem with it is it makes his negative slant obvious.

"[these sections] don't actually change the game"
"Underwater racing is a little slower and air gliding is a little floatier"
"merely as vapid contrivances that exist to provide the illusion of variety rather than actually altering the core experience"

The first and third statements contradict the second one. He might have meant to say what you said, but that's not what he said. He said "no change" then "some change" then "no change, bonus purple prose". It highlights a bias in his thinking and his writing.

The best reviewers are the ones that take the emotions the game makes them feel and can pinpoint what made them feel a certain way, while still describing any features that a reader might find important. In this review, it's obviously that he didn't like the core game, so instantly every feature is described in a negative light. This shows the poor critical thinking abilities that Jim Sterling has become known for, in his articles as much as his reviews.

Perhaps he could have focused more on the slowness and mundanity of the game rather than the staleness though.
I think he should have too, because it was when he mentioned the slowness that I was reminded of how boring I found Mario Kart DS and how little I care about any future Mario Kart game, despite being a fan of it in the past. The complete lack of any sense of speed, combined with the rubberbanding, made it a chore. I could take one or the other, but both combined just don't work for me. Why they couldn't have noticed the cult status that Excite Truck earned and try to implement some mechanics from that, I'll never know.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think he should have too, because it was when he mentioned the slowness that I was reminded of how boring I found Mario Kart DS and how little I care about any future Mario Kart game, despite being a fan of it in the past. The complete lack of any sense of speed, combined with the rubberbanding, made it a chore. I could take one or the other, but both combined just don't work for me. Why they couldn't have noticed the cult status that Excite Truck earned and try to implement some mechanics from that, I'll never know.

Mario Kart isn't exactly known for Excite Truck level of high speed racing, and if they went in that direction they'd probably earn a fair share of franchise detractors much in the same way that rubber banding and unbalanced item junk has turned people away.

That being said, I want a new Excite game and I want it now. Truck and Bots were fantastic fun and I enjoyed both more than Mario Kart Wii. There's a recipe of gameplay there that no other racing game does and to see it disappear because of poor sale would make me a sad panda.

Fredescu

That being said, I want a new Excite game and I want it now. Truck and Bots were fantastic fun and I enjoyed both more than Mario Kart Wii. There's a recipe of gameplay there that no other racing game does and to see it disappear because of poor sale would make me a sad panda.
I think they went the wrong direction with Bots. They just needed to polish Trucks up a bit and it would have been awesome.

"Little Printer adorably wastes paper and clutters up your home."
Kritical hit.

Gazunta

"Little Printer adorably wastes paper and clutters up your home."

SO DO I

Edit: I think the potential for this is amazing.

What's the biggest problem with sharing content you find online? The other person has to be online to see it. You're assuming they're near a computer, have online access, know how to use the required delivery mechanism (usually a browser) and how to view it properly amidst a page full of ads and other distracting content. yeah yeah we're all technically literate, but not everyone is, or (most importantly) not everyone can be arsed remembering to check out the thing you told them was cool.

Now you can just send your family and friends stuff you want to share with them effortlessly.

And I think the potential here for comics should not be ignored. 3 or 4 panel strip gag comics are a perfect fit for this mass delivery - it's almost going back to newspaper comics where people didn't really seek out today's Garfield or whatever, but would read it if it was put in front of them. Very exciting!

Fusebox

Banned
Also, I played LIMBO last night and finished it. I recorded 1.5 hours of footage from the game (totalling around 100GB for the 1080p uncompressed files). I will do a review of this game when I get the time.

Awesome, I've been on the fence about buying this game for the last 18 months so another review should definitely help me make my final decision.

Kritz

Banned
Awesome, I've been on the fence about buying this game for the last 18 months so another review should definitely help me make my final decision.

yo, you don't want my review if you want purchasing advice. But, if you're curious:

The game is really short, the puzzles are pretty easy (There was a single puzzle that stumped me for more than four minutes), it's a bit too wanky and a bit too "games is art" for my tastes.

But I still recommend it. I wouldn't pay more than five bucks for it if you can help it. For a game called "Limbo", I'm not sure if it's fitting or not that I never want to replay it. The game is a healthy mix between Braid (story / tone), Another World (similar beats / gameplay) and (KINDA SPOILER)
VVVVVV (gameplay)

web01

Whats a good graphics card for under $200AUD and what website do people reccomend for getting the best deals from? Ever since my 8800GTX died I have not been doing any PC gaming and I have not stayed up to date with information regarding graphics cards. for a long time.

Fusebox

Banned
Damnit, I was trying to wind you up with a bit of sarcasm about how old the game is Fritz, but your level-headed reply has just gone and made me feel bad now!

Cohsae

Limbo was decently enjoyable but would have received much less attention/praise if it hadn't been in black and white.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I'm giving away a couple of Steam codes.

Cthulhu Saves the World

and

Breath of Death VII

Just reply with the game that you want and I'll PM the code.

Jintor

Wonderful, Comedy Central fixed the exploit that was letting me watch Daily Show/Colbert from here through a firefox hack.

Arrgh, I fucking hate region-locking. It's the worst thing.

Fredescu

Whats a good graphics card for under $200AUD and what website do people reccomend for getting the best deals from?
If you can manage $250, that will get you the GTX 560ti which is one of the best bang for buck cards at the moment. Otherwise you'll have to go for a GTX 560 (non ti, which is substantially slower than ti, despite the similar names) or a 6870. The best deals will depend on where you live. There isn't really a decent Australia wide chain yet. http://www.pccasegear.com/ is a good site to use as a reference.

markot

Banned
Colbert's whoring of apple products has gone from "ironic" to fucking shameless....

slammed the Kindle Fire the other day >_>

v25234_thats%20the%20joke.jpg

midonnay

yeah, but once or twice is funny.....

everytime a new apple product is tiresome....

everytime a competitor releases a new product is *points at fucking stalker malaysian ad*

Top Bottom