• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Omikron

I appreciate Skyrim, but the level scaling gear/spells/enemies/rewards are still a major bummer. It's damn near ruined the game for me.

I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as oblivion's. And certainly hasn't been noticeable to me so far to the extent I feel agitated by it.

As for the back. No chance, release day at work. :~(

Edit: And here is one for choc, Sunderland have sacked Bruce. About time. ;) http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...arch-for-answers/story-e6frf4a3-1226210787418

Choc

Banned
yeah Omi

selling your strikers and not replacing them is also a recipe for disaster. They are after Hughes and Martin O'Neill

I want Hughes, he deserves another shot as he is a very good manager.

Choc

Banned
Hughes?

Say hello to the championship.

He did alright with City

I think we could be doomed already. They HAVE to buy a striker in January.

Selling Bent was good business, selling Gyan the day before the PL season and not replacing him was not.

Hughes also did alright with Blackburn. It would be ironic to see steve kean go and hughes back at blackburn

how the heck has steve kean survived, amazing.

Kritz

Banned
I fear Skyrim has a lot more scaling than was originally made out to be. I'm level 35 or something now, and even still, I've not once entered a dungeon where it was either completely too easy, or too hard. You'd think I should be murdering low level fools all over the place, or being dominated in areas I simply shouldn't be near. But, it's like, at the end of every dungeon there's always a piece of ebony loot, there's always a relatively difficult boss-mob, I always need to use potions on the mini-bosses throughout a dungeon, and the grunts always die in a few whacks of my waraxe.

It's the reason I've not been playing the game much this week - the game has so much repitition and lack of variety when it comes to combat encounters, because all it does is pick some humans, put them in low level gear, make their defence and attack power scale up, and throw them at you.

I haven't even started the main quest, but I'm not looking forward to it. I'll likely be the last thing I do in the game, and I wager it's where all the good loot is. Maybe I should save a quest line so I have something to use all the cool things on afterwards.

Skyrim is still one of the best games of the year, but boy I hope the mod tools come out soon.

r1chard

I fear Skyrim has a lot more scaling than was originally made out to be. I'm level 35 or something now, and even still, I've not once entered a dungeon where it was either completely too easy, or too hard. You'd think I should be murdering low level fools all over the place, or being dominated in areas I simply shouldn't be near. But, it's like, at the end of every dungeon there's always a piece of ebony loot, there's always a relatively difficult boss-mob, I always need to use potions on the mini-bosses throughout a dungeon, and the grunts always die in a few whacks of my waraxe.

I'm not sure it's so simple. Early on in my playing I wandered way off into the wilderness a few times. Each time I ran into something different that killed me quite handily, so I then just stayed around the start area and worked away at regular old skellington mines and stuff. Which were challenging by themselves at the time.

These days I'm taking on those tougher enemies and beating them. And skeletons and the like just fall like leaves before my sword. Or something poetical like that.

There's a much greater sense of achievement in Skyrim over the scaling that was present in Oblivion.

I think loot might be scaled, but I don't think enemies are scaled, or as much as you think they are.

Jintor

I think Skyrim has taken the 'brute force' path to enjoyment in my brain simply by being so goddamn big and offering so much content. I mean, I've played about 120 hours of it, but I'd still say that overall I had less fun than I did with a (non-crashing) Arkham City.

Gazunta

Gamepro is going under as of this week. Both the magazine and website (which just saw its biggest increase in readers this month)

Laugh all you want, but this means Julian Rignall is now out of a job. :(

Let me make this clear. Anyone who works at a gaming publication that doesn't offer him a job today is on my shit list forever.

I'm kidding

totally not kidding

Gamepro is going under as of this week. Both the magazine and website (which just saw its biggest increase in readers this month)

Let me make this clear. Anyone who works at a gaming publication that doesn't offer him a job today is on my shit list forever.

I'm kidding

totally not kidding
Man I remember back in the day reading issues of Nintendo Magazine System with his reviews in it. Heck I still have most of my issues of NMS, I'm sure I've still got issue 1 floating around with the cover still intact.

Jintor

It's funny, really. There's all these great games out there in various respective points but Arkham City is really the one I keep coming back to because I enjoy the core gameplay of combat + predator so damn much. Skyrim has the edge on amount of content and Saint's has it on writing, but Batman's systems are so goddamn powerful.

Shaneus

I'm kidding

totally not kidding
Isn't Blow the Cartridge technically a "gaming publication"?

Choc

Banned
Not to mention Ueda leaving...
What's going on exactly? Sony cleaning house? Sounds like Steinberg was given the boot due to the 360's Black Friday sales success?

Ueda might actually finish guardian now......

Sony US has not recovered yet marketing wise since the hack. The It Only Does is a brilliant campaign but they've not built on it

I am not surprised microsoft destroyed them in the US last week.

Shaneus

Ueda might actually finish guardian now......

Sony US has not recovered yet marketing wise since the hack. The It Only Does is a brilliant campaign but they've not built on it

I am not surprised microsoft destroyed them in the US last week.
Playstation 3: This is leaving

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What scaling? Doesn't it lock the scale of an area the first time you enter it?

Yes, but that's the problem. You can only ever find rewards that are of your level or lower. There's never really any risk versus reward, it's all a very comfortable straight line once you learn how to deal with dragons.

I want to be genuinely afraid of heading into a cave, because there might be monsters in there that can fuck me up, but at the same time, drop stuff that can make me feel overpowered for a while. But, there's none of that. You can never be overpowered (until the very late game, at which point it kind of defeats the purpose) or underpowered (special enemies like dragons or giants not withstanding, and even then you are only ever rewarded with level appropriate gear) against previously unmet opponents. It's a fundamental design problem that kind of ruins the whole thing for me. There's no mystery. After a handful of hours I started intuiting all of this and suddenly the spell was broken and the whole game felt very, very unfulfilling.

As for the back. No chance, release day at work. :~(
Congrats on the release!

he shouldn't have any problems finding a job. Maybe even at Valve.

have any of you played to the moon yet?
Waiting for the inevitable bundle because I have a crapload of other stuff to play already.
Pretty much. The RPS write up was great but I don't have time for it right now so maybe it will pop up in a bundle just like Dungeons of Dredmor did yesterday.

IT Crowd season 5 cancelled :(
I didn't think it was ever announced? They are doing some specials at some point apparently. Most people involved have moved onto other projects.

IT Crowd!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I thought its days were numbered when Richard Ayoade directed an episode of Community and a feature film (Submarine)

tumblr_lebnothnAI1qbq7ok.gif

Fusebox

Banned
Yes, but that's the problem. You can only ever find rewards that are of your level or lower. There's never really any risk versus reward, it's all a very comfortable straight line once you learn how to deal with dragons.

Gotcha.

It doesn't have the problem of Oblivion where I'd struggle to fight a level 1 rat, come back to the same spot 3 hours later and then struggle to fight the same rat which is now level 10. But at the same time it doesn't give you the opportunity to outsmart a bunch of much higher level opponents and get some fat high-level loot as a reward.

Jintor

Let's be honest, though - outsmart an enemy in Gamebyro games doesn't mean actually outsmarting an enemy, it means abusing the AI's limitations.

Top Bottom