• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Jintor

They're some of the few games that I can toss to pretty much anybody when friends are over and they'll be prepared to play them.

Generally speaking, games aren't really accessible to people in the same way that Smash Bros or Kart are accessible to people.

Shaneus

Back from the last dentist visit and the last cleanup of me not treating my teeth right for five fucking years. Today was only going to be fillings, but he decided to yank the troublesome "wizzy" (that's what they call wisdom teeth, these dentists) as well. So, 1 tooth and SEVEN fucking fillings. A harsh lesson pour moi, but I guess a necessary one.
Also I grabbed this mouse pad and it has been fantastic, SteelSeries Surface QcK Mini Mousepad for $13. Only have a small desk and use a highish DPI so it works a treat.
Damn, that looks awesome. I'd be tempted to get one but now I know it exists, I have to have it now. Can't wait 2 weeks.

The Japanese office also needs a shakeup. You can't let the people who brought us this generation of unmitigated disaster run loose for another five years. I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired in a fat-trimming exercise.
The core of these execs... were they behind the PSX as well, or just the PS3/PSP/Vita?

giri

Never understood all the love and attention Kart and Smash Bros. get as franchises. I've never been able to have fun with them.

Because even joe average can play both, and perform relatively well, and be competitive, and competent, whilst still having a skill / learning curve that means those who have practiced will still win out.

Deeku

They're some of the few games that I can toss to pretty much anybody when friends are over and they'll be prepared to play them.

Generally speaking, games aren't really accessible to people in the same way that Smash Bros or Kart are accessible to people.
I don't know if Smash is that accessible. I've tried playing it with non gamers and they either don't like it or don't know what's going on.

Kart certainly is though. Partly because most young adults have probably played a bit of Mario Kart at some stage in their life.

Back from the last dentist visit and the last cleanup of me not treating my teeth right for five fucking years. Today was only going to be fillings, but he decided to yank the troublesome "wizzy" (that's what they call wisdom teeth, these dentists) as well. So, 1 tooth and SEVEN fucking fillings. A harsh lesson pour moi, but I guess a necessary one.
And a very expensive lesson.

Choc

Banned
i'd prefer it does not break but if it does i will still buy it as a consumer

that does not mean i am against holding dates

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Goddamn QLD is a nanny state.

- $200 fine for failure to top up my go card (the ticket machines were down,) and there was no one staffed at the station - im taking it to the magistrate as I couldn't reasonably pay the fare;

- $200 fine for throwing gum at a bin, continuing to walk (not realizing it bounced off the bin), being told by a council officer to pick up my gum and place it in the bin: I do - then get fined.

- Walking to University practically every day and watching cops hide behind the post boxes with the speed guns "clocking" speeders, then proceeding to drop their guns and run over to people who jay walk who only jay walk because cars slow the fuck down to unreasonable levels due to the clocking cops in the first place

- Old example, but being at schoolies week and watching cops stroll past fights, kids getting the fuck beaten out of, people puking - yet there was 5-10 cops chilling by the beach ends waiting for people to urinate to clock them for $200 public urination fines.

I've just come to the conclusion that the delegation of fines to the city council and transport authorities is simply a means to make revenue, a means of revenue they exploit by giving Brisbane the lowest bin/toilet per square metre ratio and allowing transport companies to use shitty tools to calculate fares - which at times do go out of commission.

Fuck Queensland. Can't wait to graduate!

Damn, that looks awesome. I'd be tempted to get one but now I know it exists, I have to have it now. Can't wait 2 weeks.
Sounds like my next dentist visit, aside from the fact I had my wizzies taken out a few years back. I am sure while I was unconscious the hot nurse felt me up, maybe it was just a dream though.

Just order the mousepad so it is a nice surprise when it arrives! Never really bothered with them in the past but it is cheap and works really well with the new mouse which seems to require a pad. Went past Dick Smith and saw they have the G400 for $28 too. Why the hell weren't they under $45 2 months ago? I'm usually really thrifty with money too. :(

Never understood all the love and attention Kart and Smash Bros. get as franchises. I've never been able to have fun with them.
Copious amounts of friends gathered and maybe some alcohol/sleep deprivation. Or uni/high school/opposite sex frustrations. Lots of fun with other people, empty and useless for me on my own.

Screw you guys. I just don't like fighting and racing games. Competitive multiplayer doesn't really excite me either.
Bro fist! Single Player for life!

I just saw an ad on TV for UOQ with someone saying how fantastic everyone is and how helpful they are. It is like if you go to UOQ you can reach whatever goal you can think of!

On that note, how long is Salazar banned for?

Rough day of cricket, expected with the new bowlers though. Could have been 6 for if Clarke hadn't dropped the sitter, bloody moron. If the kids can get the wind up them we could have them all out early tomorrow and try and wipe off those runs before the end of the day. If the Kiwis didn't have Vettori they would have dropped out of international cricket by now.

Found out today about the work xmas party. Its being held at work, and you have to pay to attend. What a fucking joke. I thought the conditions (ie. perks etc) couldn't get any worse, I was wrong.

On the plus side this has kicked me into gear and have started applying for other jobs. Probably a bad time due to xmas and what not, but still worth a shot.

Jintor

I'm relistening to Idle Thumbs. Again! For the second time! Mixing it up with Bombcasts and Tested classics, too, but still...

guidop

Just a general note on the cric both James Pat and Siddle play for the same club side Dandenong first time since the 70ies that 2 players from the same club have opened the bowling.

Found out today about the work xmas party. Its being held at work, and you have to pay to attend. What a fucking joke.
Attendance compulsory? lol

What industry are you in?

Just a general note on the cric both James Pat and Siddle play for the same club side Dandenong first time since the 70ies since that has happened.
Siddle was disappointing but Patterson was impressive on debut. Couldn't ask more from the kid. Still can't believe that Lyon hadn't played at the Gabba.

Deeku

I'm relistening to Idle Thumbs. Again! For the second time! Mixing it up with Bombcasts and Tested classics, too, but still...
I listened to a bit of that 6 hour compilation of Idle Thumbs recently, but I don't think it really clicked with me:/

I've probably said this a few times already, but I still listen to random episodes of GFW radio, like every week or so. I'll just put it on while playing games, especially if I've already listened to the latest bombcast or whatever. Or I'll play a game that I remember them talking about, and go back to re-live the discussion that I missed.

It's actually kinda sad.

Jintor

Idle Thumbs is really amazing because I feel that it has a much larger critical focus (as opposed to more 'play-experience' focus like the Bombcast takes) mixed in with a fair amount of bullshit tomfoolery.

Goddamn QLD is a nanny state.

- $200 fine for failure to top up my go card (the ticket machines were down,) and there was no one staffed at the station - im taking it to the magistrate as I couldn't reasonably pay the fare;

- $200 fine for throwing gum at a bin, continuing to walk (not realizing it bounced off the bin), being told by a council officer to pick up my gum and place it in the bin: I do - then get fined.

- Walking to University practically every day and watching cops hide behind the post boxes with the speed guns "clocking" speeders, then proceeding to drop their guns and run over to people who jay walk who only jay walk because cars slow the fuck down to unreasonable levels due to the clocking cops in the first place

- Old example, but being at schoolies week and watching cops stroll past fights, kids getting the fuck beaten out of, people puking - yet there was 5-10 cops chilling by the beach ends waiting for people to urinate to clock them for $200 public urination fines.

I've just come to the conclusion that the delegation of fines to the city council and transport authorities is simply a means to make revenue, a means of revenue they exploit by giving Brisbane the lowest bin/toilet per square metre ratio and allowing transport companies to use shitty tools to calculate fares - which at times do go out of commission.

Oh hey, so you did post in here.

Queensland is pretty nuts in a lot of ways. My dad got clocked a $300 fine after cops sat around this deserted street corner with a stop sign and told him he didn't stop for long enough. Don't they have better things to be doing?!

Also we have one of the most expensive transport systems in the world. fml. What's this thing about Go-Cards? Can you get fined if you leave them in the red?

My HYPER investment has increased to $20.
The Trine 2 ad is fantastic Gaz!
5/5 on the Kirby review Jintor. Very descriptive and gave a perfect idea of what the game would be like. Very well written. Sounds like it has a bit of a Locoroco influence too.
Didn't find much else to like in it though sadly, won't be buying again. Found a lot of the language and articles to be childish, some even asinine. One reviewer even wrote shit which I found odd in a published magazine that seemed to be targeted at teenagers. A lot of "too cool for school" type comments throughout that just took away my hopes of reading a professional publication. Might grab EDGE next time as I remember it being a very well put together magazine even though I usually disagreed with the writing.

Full Scale self titled album finally arrived today. So good. Party like it is 2005!

Look who else showed up to protect our keys! All half tucked and shit!
2011-12-0117.10.42wsk5m.jpg

2011-12-0117.10.50g4khd.jpg

Siddle has the best figures though
I think he was too short too often, was hoping for a better day from him. Would love to see him step up the ranks.

Jintor

My HYPER investment has increased to $20.
5/5 on the Kirby review Jintor. Very descriptive and gave a perfect idea of what the game would be like. Very well written. Sounds like it has a bit of a Locoroco influence too.

Yay!

Didn't find much else to like in it though sadly, won't be buying again. Found a lot of the language and articles to be childish, some even asinine. One reviewer even wrote shit which I found odd in a published magazine that seemed to be targeted at teenagers. A lot of "too cool for school" type comments throughout that just took away my hopes of reading a professional publication. Might grab EDGE next time as I remember it being a very well put together magazine even though I usually disagreed with the writing.

Awww :<

Couple industry guys and some other games students from qantm came in to see our games from 4-7pm today. Got good feedback from the guys from firemint, didnt think to printout and give business cards though. stupid stupid stupid.

everyone who played our game said ti was fun tho.

Choc

Banned
rep which review was it, the MW3 one?

also i am stunned Wildgoose didnt review Skyrim given how much he has played it

the BF3 one i felt was quite fair.

Jintor

Couple industry guys and some other games students from qantm came in to see our games from 4-7pm today. Got good feedback from the guys from firemint, didnt think to printout and give business cards though. stupid stupid stupid.

Oh huh. I guess I should've gone to that qantm thing

Shaneus

And a very expensive lesson.
Very much so. All up it cost me just over a grand. Probably would've been considerably more if the dentist opted to do the wisdom tooth in another session as planned.

Not everyone is born with a soul. Are you a ginger perhaps?
Fuck you :(
Sounds like my next dentist visit, aside from the fact I had my wizzies taken out a few years back. I am sure while I was unconscious the hot nurse felt me up, maybe it was just a dream though.
No hot nurses in Geelong :(

But yeah, it's a fucking shit lesson to learn. Always knew about hygiene and regular visits etc., but I guess that because both my folks always had false teeth since before I was born (no idea why for my old man, but my mum had asthma and the pump gave her brittle teeth or something) I just kinda stopped giving a shit. Being told that sometime down the track you MAY need to have a root canal done is sobering as shit.
Just order the mousepad so it is a nice surprise when it arrives! Never really bothered with them in the past but it is cheap and works really well with the new mouse which seems to require a pad.
Damn you.

Bro fist! Single Player for life!
I've always been a 99% SP guy too. I guess that I dislike random douches enough to play an MP game when I feel like it, and when there's a scheduled MP game with mates, I rarely actually feel like playing said game.

Remo does some really good folksy ballads.
Fucking oath. Initially I was quite put off by his off-key singing, but it's quite endearing after only one or two songs. Ridiculously clever lyrics, though. Ballad of John Riccitello, Letter to Edge and Space Asshole (to name a few) were all genius.

I listened to a bit of that 6 hour compilation of Idle Thumbs recently, but I don't think it really clicked with me:/
You should listen to MBMBAM. It's awesome.

Idle Thumbs is really amazing because I feel that it has a much larger critical focus (as opposed to more 'play-experience' focus like the Bombcast takes) mixed in with a fair amount of bullshit tomfoolery.
Yup. The fact that it wasn't focused solely on one aspect of the games industry made it far more listenable. The other fact that they never seemed to have much of a running sheet made it much more casual, random and bucketloads of fun. Great "talk show" vibe.

PS. Everyone needs to listen to My Brother, My Brother and Me. It's surprising how entertaining three brothers just shooting the shit while answering Yahoo Answers can be. Reminds me of Idle Thumbs, but minus the games references. Similar rapport with each other, I think.

Jintor

Mabimbam keters wildly between 'fucking hilarious' to 'eh, listen to something else' for me. I like to listen to This American Life in between it. I really wish A Life Well Wasted was still going.

giri

Oh hey, so you did post in here.

Queensland is pretty nuts in a lot of ways. My dad got clocked a $300 fine after cops sat around this deserted street corner with a stop sign and told him he didn't stop for long enough. Don't they have better things to be doing?!

Also we have one of the most expensive transport systems in the world. fml. What's this thing about Go-Cards? Can you get fined if you leave them in the red?

You only have to come to a complete stop, not wait "long enough".

If your go-card doesn't have money on it, it can't deduct money for the trip. It doesn't store it, or ever let it go into the red. You have to keep a balance on it. That's fine if their auto top up thing works, when it doesn't...... (I've only had it not work once, bus driver didn't seem to care though).

It's pricey, but the go card system is great.

Our public transport still has big flaws though.

Gazunta

Live Update works if you type www before NeoGAF.com, but not if you don't.

God damn it I'm so mad it took me a week to figure that out.

Final night of being a bachelor! I think I'm going to go play video games. I hear they're OK.

Gazunta

I'm just glad that I didn't stuff it up and spend a couple of grand advertising the first game or something stupid instead :p

Awesome! Got a link for it?

And don't worry about business cards, we never keep the damn things anyway :) The most important thing is to follow it up in a few weeks from now and thank them for coming out and checking out your stuff, let them know what you're doing now etc. The night's best used as an ice breaker with people in the biz.

im graduating from aie, not qantm. there were just games students FROM qantm there. :p

I thought AIE was QANTM? Or owned by the same company...been a long while since I was at QANTM.

Speaking of which, working for a company that has the same acronym as the educational AIE is annoying sometimes :p

You only have to come to a complete stop, not wait "long enough".

If your go-card doesn't have money on it, it can't deduct money for the trip. It doesn't store it, or ever let it go into the red. You have to keep a balance on it. That's fine if their auto top up thing works, when it doesn't...... (I've only had it not work once, bus driver didn't seem to care though).

I've got on the bus with 10 cents left on my go card and got off with -$2ish on many occasions. I'll always top it up soon after though.

Most bus drivers are pretty grumpy, except this guy, who is a champion.

Top Bottom