• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

giri

I've got on the bus with 10 cents left on my go card and got off with -$2ish on many occasions. I'll always top it up soon after though.

Most bus drivers are pretty grumpy, except this guy, who is a champion.

Yes, as long as you start with a positive balance you should be fine.

The biggest being price.

Whilst i don't disagree, our pub transport works far better than the mehican states of NSW and VIC. i.e. our trains work during summer! :p And don't forget, we have our annual 15% increase in january! (and for the next 3 january's ><)

midonnay

I still don't get how the Myki cost over a billion dollars to develop >_>

the only difference I can see from Perth's smartrider (off the shelf solution from asian costing around 35 million bucks)....

1) colour screens,
2)has a clock on it

guidop

the only difference I can see from Perth's smartrider (off the shelf solution from asian costing around 35 million bucks)....

1) colour screens,
2)has a clock on it

It is programmed in .net? I don't know it is but a mystery

Jintor

Aww yeah, working my way towards 100%ing Arkham City. 65% of the main game done, just need the Catwoman trophies and the combat trophies to finish that part of the game, then it's just infinite Riddler Combat Rooms...

Couple industry guys and some other games students from qantm came in to see our games from 4-7pm today. Got good feedback from the guys from firemint, didnt think to printout and give business cards though. stupid stupid stupid.

everyone who played our game said ti was fun tho.
Congrats!

rep which review was it, the MW3 one?
Yeah and it was a throw away comment like, "looks like shit" or something that threw me. Pretty sure they used the word shit again in a later review as well.

The fact that they referenced Bioshock 2 in the Infinite preview was disappointing. IT WAS BY A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM. Marin are too busy with XCOM still to chuck in a MP mode for Infinite at this late stage thankfully.

Very much so. All up it cost me just over a grand. Probably would've been considerably more if the dentist opted to do the wisdom tooth in another session as planned.
bhHsl.jpg

I still don't get how the Myki cost over a billion dollars to develop >_>t
$900 million in kick backs. Plus the exclusive patent on Myki for the next 1789 years.

Aww yeah, working my way towards 100%ing Arkham City. 65% of the main game done, just need the Catwoman trophies and the combat trophies to finish that part of the game, then it's just infinite Riddler Combat Rooms...
At 2% and in shock at the amount of content.

giri

1) colour screens,
2)has a clock on it

Is the Myki the sydney one? cause if so, i can tell you how.

The NSW public sector is horrendously corrupt.

I love reading the annual reviews into the development of Sydneys Rail Plans. "We spent ANOTHER 300M this year and .... don't have a plan yet still".

giri

^-- Well, it is the Melbourne system. :)

Oh.

I dunno then.

Melbourne Pub Transport seems to be in a fairly bad state. Or was last year, when they had to stop a whole bunch of trains running cause it was too hot out side.

I know the QLD Pub Transport system has some seriousl failing, but i'ts OK in comparison.

Fredescu

Is the Myki the sydney one? cause if so, i can tell you how.

The NSW public sector is horrendously corrupt.

I love reading the annual reviews into the development of Sydneys Rail Plans. "We spent ANOTHER 300M this year and .... don't have a plan yet still".
If the NSW public sector was that corrupt, we wouldn't have an integrated ticketing system yet!

We don't have an integrated ticketing system yet.

Omikron

Oh.

I dunno then.

Melbourne Pub Transport seems to be in a fairly bad state. Or was last year, when they had to stop a whole bunch of trains running cause it was too hot out side.

I know the QLD Pub Transport system has some seriousl failing, but i'ts OK in comparison.

Melbourne's system has issues no doubt, but fundamentally it isn't THAT bad.

They do need to spend big on the aging infrastructure and have needed to for some time. Fairly sure they just keep putting that off because of the cost involved.

Why Myki cost so much, I have no idea, their desire for a custom built system was the major failing however. Whoever designed the UI on the touchscreens deserves much scorn. :p

giri

If the NSW public sector was that corrupt, we wouldn't have an integrated ticketing system yet!

We don't have an integrated ticketing system yet.

i need the :lol for this.

Melbourne's system has issues no doubt, but fundamentally it isn't THAT bad.

They do need to spend big on the aging infrastructure and have needed to for some time. Fairly sure they just keep putting that off because of the cost involved.

Why Myki cost so much, I have no idea, their desire for a custom built system was the major failing however. Whoever designed the UI on the touchscreens deserves much scorn. :p

I still don't get it either. Why both states didn't just steal the Brisbane implemented one after we paid for the development of it to Au standards and such.... then they could be easily integrated all up and down the east coast, that would rock!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sigh, not my morning.

Close my door.. realise I Don't have my keys with me.. now i'm locked out of my apartment (and office) go to call locksmith.. phone dies.

thought i'd forgotten my wallet too, but thankfully for some strange reason, lastnight i put it in my bag.

so I ended up just bussing to work and got the landlord to let me in.

now to work out what to do when I get home

Jintor

The fact that they referenced Bioshock 2 in the Infinite preview was disappointing. IT WAS BY A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAM. Marin are too busy with XCOM still to chuck in a MP mode for Infinite at this late stage thankfully.

A previous disappointing aspect of a previous game in the franchise handled by a seperate division of the same company that is mentioned by the current team merits no mention in a preview?

Work your way through that logic!

Choc

Banned
A previous game in the franchise handled by a seperate division of the same company merits no mention?

Jintor i agree that swearing in a review makes the publication seem immature

especially when most of the magazine is quality this month.

giri

Are you suggesting the states work together to produce some integrated system?

You jest.

I know :(

cities just need to licence oyster from the UK

even if its 100 million its worth it

Why? What ever one Brisbane uses is integrated across all forms of our pub transport (rail, bus, ferry), you don't need to go get oyster (i think brisbane one is loosely based on it, but not a direct license).

Sigh, not my morning.

Close my door.. realise I Don't have my keys with me.. now i'm locked out of my apartment (and office) go to call locksmith.. phone dies.

thought i'd forgotten my wallet too, but thankfully for some strange reason, lastnight i put it in my bag.

Just make sure you have photo ID on you and know the location of a bill somewhere in your house so the locksmith knows who they're letting in is really the person living there and you'll be OK.

I locked my self out on a Friday once too, cost me 75$ to get let back in ><

Jintor

Jintor i agree that swearing in a review makes the publication seem immature

especially when most of the magazine is quality this month.

I have no arguments on the swearing front. Not a big fan of that style of vitriol in any case. I'll shoot James a tweet or something.

jambo

Sigh, not my morning.

Close my door.. realise I Don't have my keys with me.. now i'm locked out of my apartment

I did that the other day. Parents came over to drop the car off, I was borrowing it for a couple of days. I walked straight out the front door with just my phone, no wallet, no keys, nothing else.

>_<

Sigh, not my morning.

This is why door that require a key to be locked from the outside need to be a commonplace thing.

Gazunta

I may have beaten one or two of your Marvel Pinball high scores last night.

Gauntlet. Thrown.
I failed, I failed hard :( Actually, I just tried the Spider-man table, what was the other one?

Adelaidians! There is a Valhalla gaming event this weekend! You can win a Battlefield 3 Case Vault and a copy of Trine 2 by being a h4rDc0R3 g4M3r! Whooooooo

giri

This is why door that require a key to be locked from the outside need to be a commonplace thing.

I want to get one of the credit card locks for my door (similar to the ones in hotels). Because i hate carrying around keys and think this would simplify life a little.

But this is one of my fears, if i locked my self out... who can open them!

jambo

Adelaidians! There is a Valhalla gaming event this weekend! You can win a Battlefield 3 Case Vault and a copy of Trine 2 by being a h4rDc0R3 g4M3r! Whooooooo

I'd love to go, but Stereosonic is on tomorrow and then I'll be cleaning all Sunday for an inspection on Monday =[

I failed, I failed hard :( Actually, I just tried the Spider-man table, what was the other one?
My mistake. It was only one Marvel table. The second table (on which I absolutely crushed your score) was the new Paranormal one. Crushed. Tear shall be shed when you see it. not manly ones, either.

My problem with a lot of pinball is that I never fully understand them. I spend so much time tracking the ball that I don't see the prompts of what combinations/order I need to activate ramps/bumpers.

So I end up hitting a ball around for 10 minutes for 100 000 points and feel bad. Then the next ball lasts for 1 minute and gets 1 500 000 points.

But Paranormal has been crushed. To avoid prolonged embarrassment and feelings of inadequacy I would focus on that table.

CRUSHED!

I want to get one of the credit card locks for my door (similar to the ones in hotels). Because i hate carrying around keys and think this would simplify life a little.
We use a few different types where I work. The regular credit card (either proximity or RFID) ones usually allow exit from inside and will disengage if power is lost. These would be overkill for a home. We also have 'Saflok' brand ones (which use RFID) that I know a little more about, you can unlock them with a PC and USB cable, if you have the right software to send the right packets.

Hey Omi, have you uploaded any of your SpaceChem solutions? My Steam leaderboard had a couple where you had made some more elegant solutions than me and I'd like to see them. NFI which levels now...

Choc

Banned
I know :(

Why? What ever one Brisbane uses is integrated across all forms of our pub transport (rail, bus, ferry), you don't need to go get oyster (i think brisbane one is loosely based on it, but not a direct license).

because i imagine its a lot cheaper to licence something than build your own from scratch.......

Choc

Banned
It's already done though. We've been using go-cards for 3 years? now.

yes i was implying that if someone hadn't managed to sort it out. I'm not saying replace myki and go with oyster but sydney should licence oyster and be done with it

THe reason why Sydney does not have an oyster is because the bus, ferry and rail bosses are fuckwits that cannot come to an agreement over anything.

For example, city rail wants to maintain that EVERY SINGLE FUCKING STATION can be selected on a machine as a destination, whereas it makes a lot more sense to zone (and the system already fucking zones as it is, its just not visible to the customer)

None of them want to change their outdated antiquated systems and so gridlock ensues

A so called world class city with a third world transport system is no world class city

giri

yes i was implying that if someone hadn't managed to sort it out. I'm not saying replace myki and go with oyster but sydney should licence oyster and be done with it

THe reason why Sydney does not have an oyster is because the bus, ferry and rail bosses are fuckwits that cannot come to an agreement over anything.

For example, city rail wants to maintain that EVERY SINGLE FUCKING STATION can be selected on a machine as a destination, whereas it makes a lot more sense to zone (and the system already fucking zones as it is, its just not visible to the customer)

None of them want to change their outdated antiquated systems and so gridlock ensues

A so called world class city with a third world transport system is no world class city

to be fair, lots of the "major" cities of the world have horrible transport. Particularly in developing countries.

I know, we're not a developing country.

city rail wants to maintain that EVERY SINGLE FUCKING STATION can be selected on a machine as a destination
Why not just have swipe on, swipe off like with Oyster? It can detect what distance you've travelled and charge based on that. Simple. Doesn't matter so much whether you have every station or zones in the back end, or even if you change your mind later on.

By having to select the destination, you'll have to have fare adjustment units in each station before the exit otherwise you'll be fining a hell of a lot of people who change their mind about where they're going after the initial purchase.

Choc

Banned
Why not just have swipe on, swipe off like with Oyster? It can detect what distance you've travelled and charge based on that. Simple. Doesn't matter so much whether you have every station or zones in the back end, or even if you change your mind later on.

By having to select the destination, you'll have to have fare adjustment units in each station before the exit otherwise you'll be fining a hell of a lot of people who change their mind about where they're going after the initial purchase.

because thats to logical for the fuckwits @ cityrail

Ham you clearly have never used the london underground and how good that is to get around that city

Jintor

Great, now you're making me want to go back to Tokyo and just stand on the trains more. Last time on there I was saddled with PR dudes and other journos, which was cool, but I really want to do a lone Japan trip.

Ah, someday. Fuckin' law degree.

hamchan

because thats to logical for the fuckwits @ cityrail

Ham you clearly have never used the london underground and how good that is to get around that city
Yes, I've been to England and I have used the tube. It's indeed very convenient and efficient, albeit pretty polluted and hot too. One of the train doors on the tube closed on my arm and left a long black mark there.

I think you haven't been on the Malaysian train system which I had to use yesterday. It was hot, packed to the brim, the train was 50 minutes late, and it had to stop at each and every station for 10 minutes+ for some reason. City rail is freaking amazing compared to this shit. I especially love how the Sydney trains split the carriages into upstairs and downstairs, so the majority of people riding get a seat.

Top Bottom