• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
Yes, I've been to England and I have used the tube. It's indeed very convenient and efficient, albeit pretty polluted and hot too. One of the train doors on the tube closed on my arm and left a long black mark there.

I think you haven't been on the Malaysian train system which I had to use yesterday. It was hot, packed to the brim, the train was 50 minutes late, and it had to stop at each and every station for 10 minutes+ for some reason. City rail is freaking amazing compared to this shit. I especially love how the Sydney trains split the carriages into upstairs and downstairs, so the majority of people riding get a seat.

they are getting rid of that and replacing with single decker. THey have determined that is one big reason it takes so long @ stations to offload people (and they are correct)

and no offence to Malaysia but you can't put that nation in terms of progression and western civilization and expectations on the same level as Sydney. Yes of course Sydney is better but if you are saying that sydney is 3rd behind Geneva and London in liveability as a recent survey did (melbourne was 28th) then you should be comparing the transport systems and sydney is one big fail.....

I did that the other day. Parents came over to drop the car off, I was borrowing it for a couple of days. I walked straight out the front door with just my phone, no wallet, no keys, nothing else.

>_<

Had a similar experience. Late last year I went to take the bins in in just my pajama bottoms (they have colourful cats on them and are awesome) and the door blew shut, just as I was about to get back inside.

After swearing and wallowing outside for 15 minutes I ran round the back managed to scale the 3+ metre high wall of the neighbours place and from there climb into my own 'backyard'. From there I clambered onto the roof of the kitchen that slopes down a bit and then carefully climbed up the bars on the bathroom window to the balcony above (real assassin's creed shit). Luckily one of the windows up here was slightly open and, with the help of a piece of wood from our recent renovations, was able to bring to me one of the house phones and a back of bobby pins. To cut a long story short, while on the phone with my sister to see if she could come home on her break I was able to pick the lock of the door onto the balcony and get back inside.

I have never felt more proud in my life. And they say that video games and an active imagination are not conducive to adult life.

Jintor

Malaysia is more comparable to India or Indonesia than it would be to Sydney. Sydney's comparisons should be London, Tokyo, New York or Paris, even Hong Kong, cities along those lines.

I think I'm in a relatively good position to critique Arkham City's story after playing it three times, although my conclusion is roughly the same as it was the first time through. Time to write a blog post, hi-ho, hi-ho...

hamchan

they are getting rid of that and replacing with single decker. THey have determined that is one big reason it takes so long @ stations to offload people (and they are correct)

and no offence to Malaysia but you can't put that nation in terms of progression and western civilization and expectations on the same level as Sydney. Yes of course Sydney is better but if you are saying that sydney is 3rd behind Geneva and London in liveability as a recent survey did (melbourne was 28th) then you should be comparing the transport systems and sydney is one big fail.....
I didn't say Sydney's system was better than other first world countries. I just said I appreciate the system way more after riding some really really shitty trains in other countries. I actually think city rail does a decent job. We dont really get major delays to the trains often and when we do it's because some nutter threw himself in front of a train or something else out of cityrail's control.

Besides, you were the one that called Sydney's transport system equivalent to a third world countries first. Malaysia is a newly industrialized country and their transport is shithouse, I can't even imagine what a third world's is like.

Also I don't think we'll eve have a train system better than the above first world cities because they're richer than us and they have a higher population than us.

I'll be going to Macau and Hong Kong next week anyways, so I'll probably check those trains out.

Deeku

I'm not a big user of public transport, but I do appreciate how awesome the systems in Japan and Hong Kong are compared to Sydney.

Has anyone used trains in Canada before? I thought that was pretty crap. I remember I had to pay for like 5 cent sized tokens to get on a train, like getting tokens for an arcade machine or something lol

Choc

Banned
I didn't say Sydney's system was better than other first world countries. I just said I appreciate the system way more after riding some really really shitty trains in other countries. I actually think city rail does a decent job. We dont really get major delays to the trains often and when we do it's because some nutter threw himself in front of a train or something else out of cityrail's control.

Besides, you were the one that called Sydney's transport system equivalent to a third world countries first. Malaysia is a newly industrialized country and their transport is shithouse, I can't even imagine what a third world's is like.

In comparison to other major cities of the world it is third world...

so minecraft,

i bought it and have started to muck around in it, shits addictive. Anyway people keep making all this amazing stuff, can you download those worlds to play around in or not?

hamchan

In comparison to other major cities of the world it is third world...

so minecraft,

i bought it and have started to muck around in it, shits addictive. Anyway people keep making all this amazing stuff, can you download those worlds to play around in or not?
No, in comparison to other first world countries it's still first world, just not as good.

Also Japan is pretty damn good when it's not peak hour. I used both their buses and trains in peak hour and fuck that shit.

Fusebox

Banned
Malaysia is more comparable to India or Indonesia than it would be to Sydney. Sydney's comparisons should be London, Tokyo, New York or Paris, even Hong Kong, cities along those lines.

The MyMulti tickets in Sydney are terrific, one monthly ticket gets me anywhere I need to go on train or bus. I always get a seat, trains are rarely so late it's an issue, I don't know what people are bitching about.

It'd be nice if they could be topped up and only had to be tapped on turnstiles like the Suica passes in Tokyo, but it's still great being able to consolidate train and bus onto the one pass. I didn't try the multipasses in NYC, just got their regular tickets but it was nothing special. Sydney definitely compares.

jambo

I've been reading through the Wii Homebew and Dolphin threads on the Gaming side and all it's doing is hurting my head.

All I want to know is how to rip my Wii games so that I can play them on my PC.

so minecraft,

Yeah you can. A lot of the time when someone puts up an awesome video on YouTube, they will put a download link in the description area so that other people can play their world.

The official Minecraft forums are also full of download links and seeds for awesome worlds, as well as mods, skins and texture packs, so definitely check them out!

Jintor

The MyMulti tickets in Sydney are terrific, one monthly ticket gets me anywhere I need to go on train or bus. I always get a seat, trains are rarely so late it's an issue, I don't know what people are bitching about.

It'd be nice if they could be topped up and only had to be tapped on turnstiles like the Suica passes in Tokyo, but it's still great being able to consolidate train and bus onto the one pass. I didn't try the multipasses in NYC, just got their regular tickets but it was nothing special. Sydney definitely compares.

I actually don't think Sydney's transportation is that bad in terms of getting me from place to place. I just wish the trains were more pleasant to be on.

Choc

Banned
I actually don't think Sydney's transportation is that bad in terms of getting me from place to place. I just wish the trains were more pleasant to be on.

Trains coming every 30 mins in the middle of the day is the biggest load of shit to be honest

Ydahs

OMG THE MAILMAN IS OUTSIDE MAYBE HE HAS MY SUPER MARIO LAND

edit: I couldn't see what he put in. Man, I know if the game's not there I'm gonna break something...

edit2: SUCCESS

Jintor

Tribes will probably win my dubiously specific 'best free-to-play tribes related game still in beta of 2011'

for serious though, it's fucking rad, except for the UI

jambo

Tribes will probably win my dubiously specific 'best free-to-play tribes related game still in beta of 2011'

for serious though, it's fucking rad, except for the UI

The UI perfectly mimics the old UI. The only problem is, the old UI was shit!

Jintor

The UI perfectly mimics the old UI. The only problem is, the old UI was shit!

Exactly! I'm happy the game design from the 90s is carried over, the problem is the UI design needs to evolve!

tumblr_lvje7yl3dF1qbbpaoo1_500.png

Gazunta

My mistake. It was only one Marvel table. The second table (on which I absolutely crushed your score) was the new Paranormal one. Crushed. Tear shall be shed when you see it. not manly ones, either.

My problem with a lot of pinball is that I never fully understand them. I spend so much time tracking the ball that I don't see the prompts of what combinations/order I need to activate ramps/bumpers.

So I end up hitting a ball around for 10 minutes for 100 000 points and feel bad. Then the next ball lasts for 1 minute and gets 1 500 000 points.

But Paranormal has been crushed. To avoid prolonged embarrassment and feelings of inadequacy I would focus on that table.

CRUSHED!
Arrested_Development_-_Good_Grief.jpg

You sonofabiiiiiiitch. The Spider-Man table doesn't seem completely out of my reach...I am very scared of what awaits me when I open up the paranormal one.

But yeah I am completely the same. I have no real idea of WTF I'm doing or what anything really means, especially when things get hectic. I just try and rely on reflexes :p

Oh God damn it why did I not remember to copy Ultima VII to my iPad for the flight tonight.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just make sure you have photo ID on you and know the location of a bill somewhere in your house so the locksmith knows who they're letting in is really the person living there and you'll be OK.

I locked my self out on a Friday once too, cost me 75$ to get let back in ><

I was quoted at $150 ;_; because it will be out of regular hours.

I did that the other day. Parents came over to drop the car off, I was borrowing it for a couple of days. I walked straight out the front door with just my phone, no wallet, no keys, nothing else.

>_<

:( Ouch

This is why door that require a key to be locked from the outside need to be a commonplace thing.

This would be great :(

p.s. if i cant get in i'll slumber party at yours.

Fusebox

Banned
all of them

except city circle and airport

I just checked my main routes on Tripview.

Hurstville to the city right now ranges from 3 minutes to 12 minutes, St Leonards to Town Hall ranges from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.

Maybe 30 minutes if you're going somewhere weird.

Choc

Banned
I just checked my main routes on Tripview.

Hurstville to the city right now ranges from 3 minutes to 12 minutes, St Leonards to Town Hall ranges from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.

Maybe 30 minutes if you're going somewhere weird.

St Leonards is not past chatswood and is now serviced by two lines (nth shore and macquarie park)

guidop

Vince redeemed but did you see how fast he scored them?

This Australian team is pitiful I'm not looking for to what India will do to us

Fusebox

Banned
Meh, it wouldn't have hurt to address your "all of them" claim instead of just pretending it didn't happen and posting something entirely different, but if that's your style then cool.

Jintor

Wondering if Serious Sam 3 might be our next AusGAF multiplayer fest. Apparently it gets good after it stops kidding around and pretending to be CoD.

Yagharek

I only condescend to people who are wrong and act like idiots about it.

Apology accepted though. Glad you could finally admit to your blatant error.

Top Bottom