• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Fredescu

For the same reasons trademarks exist. The name GAF in relation to video game discussion is a name built up by Evillore and others through this forum. Any outside endeavour using the GAF name is just piggybacking off it's reputation, and has the potential to damage it's reputation. AusGAF is the the name of this thread, but it can't in good conscience be used for anything outside of Evillore's control. Having said that, we did ask a while back anyway and the answer was what you'd expect.

Gazunta

To: Gazunta@AusGAF.com
Subject: Marvel Pinball

SUCK IT
SUCK IT
SUCK IT
SUCK IT

(one for each table, bitch)

Yours,

PlanetJASE

Oh, by the way, I wouldn't check the high scores for Paranormal if I were you...
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. Great work man.

So here's a Pinball FX 2 etiquette question that is kind of related. Most of the people on my friends list that have this game I have a good back and forth with as far as scores go. I beat theirs, they beat mine, there's a nice bit of smack talk etc.

But there's one guy on the high score table that is like a GOD at these. All the tables I have his score sits on the #1 position completely unreachable. He's on a completely another level. He's a good guy, loves the game and posts a lot on the GAF Pinball FX 2 thread.

But holy crap I'd like to remove him from my friends list so I have at least a dream of being #1 on a table one day. <Dolly Doctor>AM I NORMAL?</Dolly Doctor>

I think that's a right good review of that them video game things, like.

BTW, I played Saints Row 3 more last night and finally got the Kanye quote :p

I thought Saints Row 3 was pretty good until I got to the bit where
I took over the high rise penthouse and got my first crib
and then I jumped off the building. Wheeeeeeee splat good times for all

Williams Pinball Classics fo' lyfe,

Shaneus
Did that ever come out here?

I saw a job opening for designers and producers for Bally the other day. I got excited until I saw it was for Sydney and it was their pokie machine division.

And yeah, AusGAF.com would be a no-no.

giri

For the same reasons trademarks exist. The name GAF in relation to video game discussion is a name built up by Evillore and others through this forum. Any outside endeavour using the GAF name is just piggybacking off it's reputation, and has the potential to damage it's reputation. AusGAF is the the name of this thread, but it can't in good conscience be used for anything outside of Evillore's control. Having said that, we did ask a while back anyway and the answer was what you'd expect.

Right, because of the GAF part. I was more curious if there was some odd law about using AUS.

jambo

Weren't we going to go with AusGiraffe?

So Stereosonic was awesome, got a bit burnt though.

Also Tencaious D and Foo Fighters tonight!!! xD

jambo

Despite me bitching about the quality of the sound (and that was only where I was sitting, others in GA have told me it was perfectly fine), it was still a great (and long!) show.

Yeah I've heard they've been playing crazy long shows in Australia.

Something about a Sydney show where they played for over 3 hours and then someone turned the power off.

Something about a Sydney show where they played for over 3 hours and then someone turned the power off.
Foo were on for 2-2.5 hours, but if you went for the whole thing it would've been like a 6 hour show.

jambo

Foo were on for 2-2.5 hours, but if you went for the whole thing it would've been like a 6 hour show.

Well the gates at Adelaide Oval will open at 4pm, but I don't finish work until 5.30, so probably get there at 6, hopefully see some Calling All Cars, Tenacious D and then the mighty Foo!

giri

Their AAMI stadium (so melb?) gig was 3 hour long apparently.

jambo

Yeah they played 2 shows at AAMI Park.

I found the times for tonight and they are set to be on from 8.20 - 11.00

=D

Choc

Banned
whilst we are talking concerts, florence and the machine on sale this week

i believe we have some people in here who like it

jambo

We really need a new generation of consoles.

The PS3 has 256MB of video memory and 256MB of main memory....

256MB...

Ugh, I had 8 times that much RAM in my PC 2 years before the PS3 came out.

giri

We really need a new generation of consoles.

The PS3 has 256MB of video memory and 256MB of main memory....

256MB...

Ugh, I had 8 times that much RAM in my PC 2 years before the PS3 came out.

I know RAM is used differently on consoles, much more efficiently but it bothers me that the new xbox is rumored to only have 2gig.

If you're going to have 6 cores, have 6 gig of ram or something at least.

People go WAH sale price, no one will but it.

But you know what, i'd rather pay the extra $50 and have a console that is genuinely future proof and will see the generation last 6 - 8 years, than not, and find it's severely limited after only 2 years.

jambo

I know RAM is used differently on consoles, much more efficiently but it bothers me that the new xbox is rumored to only have 2gig.

If you're going to have 6 cores, have 6 gig of ram or something at least.

People go WAH sale price, no one will but it.

But you know what, i'd rather pay the extra $50 and have a console that is genuinely future proof and will see the generation last 6 - 8 years, than not, and find it's severely limited after only 2 years.

Yeah, there are always more overheads on PCs, with all the extra shit running in the background.

The consoles are designed specifically to play games, but if you want to have lots of high res textures running at 1080p and you have a beastly 6 core system, just throw 4-6GB of RAM in!

Deeku

Funny, I just ignore Fi for the most part. She never actually says anything useful to me as a Zelda veteran and when I'm actually stuck, all she has is generic and unhelpful advice. I'm only dousing when I'm really desperate, which improves the experience greatly.

I miss Midna and ghost Zelda though. They were at least funny.

Also, the design is sometimes a bit Metroidy in that you have to do some pretty obscure things to proceed sometimes, so I'm finding myself blowing up every pile of rocks, suspicious looking crack in the walls, running up every wall and sending the beetle everywhere. Trying to get into the third dungeon now.

Also, the people in the OT are about as helpful as Fi. Your query just gets lost in their meta debate about whatever spoiler tagged crap they're on about.
Yeah, I ignore her too, but it's just a tad annoying when she constantly has to point out stuff that is obvious to a Zelda veteran. I understand why they do it, but still, if they can give you a "pro" UI mode, it would have been nice to have a no constant hints mode.

I think I've only been stuck when I refuse to use dowsing, which leads me to think that parts of the game are designed around it, so you should really use it if you don't want to pull your hair out - I'm specifically referring to the part before entering the third major dungeon (spoiler)
collecting key parts for the fire dungeon
. There's no way you would have figured where the parts were without dowsing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To work. To work. Off to work I go.

Things that would be nice today: If customers forgot Christmas is around the corner and stayed in bed instead.

Choc

Banned
Truth is, betheseda should just offer people with the ps3 version the ability to get the PC version for nothing.

Won't happen, but it should.

you speak the truth man! now if someone could figure out how to get a ps3 save on teh pc version like they did that would rox.

Not to scare the shit out of you gaz but this bug falls under the new consumer laws in Australia that can force refunds. The product was clearly not fit for purpose (the laws are significantly more tougher than they used to be, go look it up). Basically if there is game breaking bugs in games now, Australian publishers can be forced to do a mass refund by Fair Trading.

We've been looking into this a lot and its scary, especially when we do not control decisions about issues in software.

http://www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/Content.aspx?doc=fact_sheets/FAQ.htm

Serrels/Jintor if you want to do a media thingy on this its the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

There is some serious clauses in there about how customers can demand something be fixed etc etc

Choc

Banned
Summary of new law
7.9 Chapter 3, Part 3-2, Division 1, Subdivision A of the ACL sets out
consumer guarantees that provide consumers with a statutory basis for
seeking remedies when:
• goods are not of acceptable quality;
• goods are not fit for a purpose that the consumer made
known to the supplier or manufacturer;
• goods are not fit for a purpose that the supplier told the
consumer that they will meet;

• goods do not match their description;
• goods sold by reference to a sample or demonstration model
do not correspond to the sample or demonstration model;
• the consumer does not acquire proper title to the goods;
• other people claim to have a right to the goods, for example,
under a charge or a security agreement;

3 very scary clauses for game software. And who determines whether its acceptable? the customer.

Kritz

Banned
Regarding the whole "AusGAF" thing,

I think the closest we can get is "AusGaffe" in terms of not getting into any legal issues with NeoGAF's name. Although I do wonder if it'd be possible to just call it AusGaf - remove the GAF acronym to a shortening of Gaffe.

I am not a lawyer.

Yagharek

Sounds like a good law. Lying to customers and selling faulty goods is bad business.

Edit: I hope it stands up against EA scam games too. I'll print out a copy of the act next time I need to return a broken game.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. Great work man.

So here's a Pinball FX 2 etiquette question that is kind of related. Most of the people on my friends list that have this game I have a good back and forth with as far as scores go. I beat theirs, they beat mine, there's a nice bit of smack talk etc.

But there's one guy on the high score table that is like a GOD at these. All the tables I have his score sits on the #1 position completely unreachable. He's on a completely another level. He's a good guy, loves the game and posts a lot on the GAF Pinball FX 2 thread.

But holy crap I'd like to remove him from my friends list so I have at least a dream of being #1 on a table one day. <Dolly Doctor>AM I NORMAL?</Dolly Doctor>
That would suck. If you can't beat them, delete them. I'm in the fortunate/unfortunate situation where my friends list is chock full of 3 people, with you as the only FX player. Do whatever is necessary to win. Get rid of him. Add a few pinball scrubs onto your friends list, too to really boost your ego!

I'm actually enjoying the asynchronous competitive nature of pinball. I'm not much for multiplayer but there is something great about having a challenge from someone you know - that is also shares the same level of proficiency - rather than looking at worldwide leaderboards. I have no hope of scoring over 1 billion in these games like some people; 10 million is seems quite attainable and is a realistic goal.

Having said that, I'm not going to get anywhere near some of your scores. The Pinball FX2 Original Tables like Rome and Pasha are absolute enigmas to me. I have literally played for 10minutes on one ball and only received 200k for my troubles. Then I look at your score of 14million and think to myself that I'm just missing the required sequence/score multipliers to get big scores. I've worked out Paranormal.

I just got the Ms Splosion Man table, which is a fair bit of fun, too. I actually thought I was doing well, until I went to the world leaderboards. I don't even know what the score is for the world number one. What comes after billions? Trillions? I think it's in the trillions. Or hundreds of billions.

Yagharek

a licence to use the software and own it. You do not own the source code

Title to a piece of software is the source code

Publishers want to be careful about how aggressively they define this then. We currently have EA acting with criminal behaviour by stealing peoples games. We need more consumer protection, not less. I think if EA or someone steals your game you should by law be able to return it to a shop for full refund or charge back the credit card purchase if its digital.

Publishers have declared war on customers, so fuck them. I hope ea goes out of business.

I own my games. Publisher lies mean nothing. What are they selling for $99.95 exactly? A plastic disc?
You watch, the next generation (probably excluding Nintendo) will probably have some sort of server-side DRM which can lock you out of 'your' games at any time. Like Steam.

giri

Do not disagree but sorry you will never own the title to a piece of software, ever.

It says, proper title. I think it's meant to cover things like the ripping of MP3's from cd's, stopping people getting busted for that. i.e. if you paid for it, it's up to you how you use it.

Doesn't mean full title including source doe.

So ... the weird thing is, i wonder how that affects the kindle. Where they've been known to "resume" titles off of a kindle if they get into a tiff with the publisher, even if you've paid.

Hey, the JB opened at Garden City. It's either that or it's called Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim, Skyrim

also getting a Bluray movie to play on a PC seems to be full of fail.

Omikron

I own my games. Publisher lies mean nothing. What are they selling for $99.95 exactly? A plastic disc?

Do you question the ownership of all software? Our just games? And by extension other digital goods/products?

Ownership in this space is a very difficult thing to quantify.

jambo

Anyone know a quick way I can make a batch file to print all of the files in a particular folder?

I have about 100 or so txt files that need to be printed and probably some more in future.

Too much cider was drank yesterday.

I thought Saints Row 3 was pretty good until I got to the bit where
I took over the high rise penthouse and got my first crib
and then I jumped off the building. Wheeeeeeee splat good times for all
Forget to pull the parachute?

Well the gates at Adelaide Oval will open at 4pm, but I don't finish work until 5.30, so probably get there at 6, hopefully see some Calling All Cars, Tenacious D and then the mighty Foo!
Nice lineup!

so glad i stopped playing skyrim for the mo the ps3 version sounds farked
The fact that they were allowed to release it with such a horrible bug the will affect the fans who love the game the most is really fucked up. I can see that Sony would have looked the other way to avoid losing sales to the 360 version if Bethesda came to them close to release and told them they may have to hold back the PS3 version for a few days/weeks/months.

You watch, the next generation (probably excluding Nintendo) will probably have some sort of server-side DRM which can lock you out of 'your' games at any time. Like Steam.
EA are already taking away access to your games for no reason already!
Wonder if piracy of EA games have risen lately with their fucking bullshit excuses for stealing games from the paying customer. Cunts.

Choc

Banned
set shApp = createobject("shell.application")
set shFolder = shApp.namespace("C:\TEST")
set shItems = shFolder.Items()
for each shItem in shItems
shItem.invokeverb "&Print"
next

change c:\test to directory name

put that text in notepad

rename .txt to .vbs

giri

The fact that they were allowed to release it with such a horrible bug the will affect the fans who love the game the most is really fucked up. I can see that Sony would have looked the other way to avoid losing sales to the 360 version if Bethesda came to them close to release and told them they may have to hold back the PS3 version for a few days/weeks/months.

Well, it's not so much a bug but a broke product. It will never work properly on the PS3 the way it is currently designed, and maybe never with the way the PS3 splits its memory. The world (and the attention to detail in that world) is, by the sounds of it, too large to persist on that system.

The only way to fix it, it sounds, is to cut back on the quality of the world for the PS3.

Anyone know a quick way I can make a batch file to print all of the files in a particular folder?
forfiles /P "C:\my\folder\path" /m *.txt /s /c "cmd /c type @path > \\print-server\printer-queue"

But since Choc's version uses Windows to actually open the file and run the 'Print' command, it'll probably work better.

jambo

set shApp = createobject("shell.application")
set shFolder = shApp.namespace("C:\TEST")
set shItems = shFolder.Items()
for each shItem in shItems
shItem.invokeverb "&Print"
next

change c:\test to directory name

put that text in notepad

rename .txt to .vbs

forfiles /P "C:\my\folder\path" /m *.txt /s /c "cmd /c type @path > \\print-server\printer-queue"

But since Choc's version uses Windows to actually open the file and run the 'Print' command, it'll probably work better.

<3

EDIT: Funnily enough codswallop I was actually bashing out some random things earlier and I came kinda near to what you did.

Top Bottom