• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Yagharek

Rayman Origins just keeps getting better. It's one-upping itself with every new level. It has the sort of design ethic I'd usually associate with EAD Tokyo or Valve. It's a must -- MUST -- play for anyone who considers a game like Mario Galaxy a must-play.

I'm hearing this quite a lot now, and given the developer (the best part of ubisoft) I'm probably going to jump in. What platform are people playing it on?

Adam Sandler has been in some good films though. I wouldn't hate on anyone for having Funny People, Click, Big Daddy, Reign Over Me, Happy Gilmore, Waterboy, or Mr Deeds (although Mr Deeds verges more into guilty pleasure).

Dude, Punch-Drunk Love. Damn, Sandler. Daaamn.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hearing this quite a lot now, and given the developer (the best part of ubisoft) I'm probably going to jump in. What platform are people playing it on?

360. It doesn't really matter, I expect.

Just finished Battlefield 3.

Pros:
Fantastic graphics
Fantastic audio
Russian levels were good to fantastic

Cons:
FUCKING HORRIBLE QTE's
American levels were bland, boring and slow. Ranged from medicore to good.
'Immersive' effects like glare and grime broke the immersion they were trying for
DICE didn't hide the incredibly linear fashion of the action set pieces well at all
DID I MENTION THE FUCKING QTE's?

3/5. Worth a run for the Russian levels but won't be touching it again. Audio was the standout and the attention to detail in the visuals was exquisite but the mission structure was plodding and boring most of the time. Without the Russian levels and the enjoyable final 20 minute QTE it would be a 2/5.

Yagharek

360. It doesn't really matter, I expect.

Cool sticks. I'm guessing a lot of people are playing ps3 too. I'm leaning towards wii version, given that it seems like a fitting platform for it. Am I right in assuming the only price to pay there is the 1080p -> 480p loss of resolution?

The one thing I like about RO is that it seems to be another rare case of a game that is released whole. ie no inbuilt DLC functionality. I much prefer it when games are sold as is.

Also, played another 3 hours of Zelda today. The dungeons just keep going and going. And when you think you've done one important thing, another task opens up and you just have so much stuff to do. And it never feels like you are overwhelmed with quests or multiple concurrent tasks that confuse (Arkham City did that a bit).

It's one of the best paced games Ive ever played.

And if one thing can be said of it: the controls are not being given enough praise. As it is, I cannot imagine playing another sword wielding game without this setup being an option.
Put it this way: *if* I were so inclined as to try Skyrim, I'd be demanding Move support for it. Dual glowstick support at that.

It may be premature, but I think the motion controls in Zelda SS are a landmark design choice. I would put it on par with the move from 2D to 3D in Mario, or from offline to online in first person shooters. It is that important.

Gazunta

Walked all the way to Kmart for Mario Kart 7.

Lady tries to sell me Mario Kart DS for $54. I told her I wanted Mario Kart 7 and showed her the display box so she doesn't get confused. She goes on to tell me they have the cartridges in stock, but not the cases so therefore they can't sell it to me...

Off to Big W.

There is no way in hell any of that is true. No retailer gets shipped carts separate from boxes. Retailers get final boxed copies of games. It would take a warehouse full of people to assemble all the carts, manuals and boxes together.

Anyway hi guys I was in Melbourne all weekend what have I missed.

Ydahs

There is no way in hell any of that is true. No retailer gets shipped carts separate from boxes. Retailers get final boxed copies of games. It would take a warehouse full of people to assemble all the carts, manuals and boxes together.

Anyway hi guys I was in Melbourne all weekend what have I missed.

I don't know, that's what she told me. She seemed confused about the whole ordeal. Everything I said is as happened.

Gazunta

I don't know, that's what she told me. She seemed confused about the whole ordeal. Everything I said is as happened.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to say that your story isn't true, sorry. But yeah she was definitely confused :)

Anyone that doesn't have Crackdown 2 and doesn't take up Reggie's offer is a moron.

Deeku

Maybe she didn't know where the boxes were lol. Don't some places take the game and manual out and then put it into the box when you're at the register?

Re Zelda: the best choice they made about motion controls is that you don't have to use them for the bow - you can just aim and press "a" to shoot. So glad they did that!

Deeku

Wait till you get the the next pre-dungeon part and subsequent dungeon;)

It's going to be hard to pick a favourite part of the game. It just gets better and better!

Deeku

I'm bit further than you guys. About to enter the dungeon for the last of the things we're collecting. I think I'll go do some side quests after even though I never really bothered with them in Zelda games. The side quests I've done so far have been delightful, even if they're just fetch quests.

Shaneus

You can get a i5 2500K and a mother board for $360 though. Would be worth the investment as I don't see Intel rushing out another game changer now that AMD had their hiccup.
Ah, it was the i5 2500k that was the ridiculawesome bang-for-buck CPU, wasn't it? Yeah, that'd be the one I was looking for, but I'd have to suss out the mobo sitch as I'm not sure that one does 2x16 PCI-E. That was a massive hassle to find for my current CPU generation, I'm guessing it'll be the same for the 1155 as well.

Edit: Reading some forums, most folks seem to think that a Q9550 isn't THAT much in the lurch when compared to the newer gen chips. Might stick with it and pain it out with piss-poor console ports that rely too much on the CPU and not enough on the GPU-end (hi Codies/Volition).

PS.
To: Gazunta@AusGAF.com
Cc: PlanetJASE@AusGAF.com
Subject: Marvel Pinball

Marvel pinball? Who plays that crap? Everyone knows that games based on real-world tables is the only way to fly.

Williams Pinball Classics fo' lyfe,

Shaneus

Tntnnbltn

I was bored this afternoon.

tgRci.jpg

I have 210 digits stretching across three walls.

Kritz

Banned
Make sure your smartboard is set to 16 point calibration so it remains more accurate. You can calibrate it yourself by holding down the two front buttons for five seconds while the computer is powered on and in windows, and the calibration setting can be found in the control panel of the SMART software.

If I put it there it's only going to eventually end up where 1927's careers finally went...

PS-1927 actually came up in a conversation today. Was having lunch with friends at Coolangatta and one of them said that they'd seen an poster advertising 1927 playing at one of the local RSLs.

Oh dear.

Rezbit

Dude I hope you have more whiteboard space than that. How hopelessly inadequate.
English and History teacher.

I had a LOT of trouble with smartboards when I used them. Just really picky, and the IT dude set a passcode on them so I got locked out :|

Mistle

Also, played another 3 hours of Zelda today. The dungeons just keep going and going. And when you think you've done one important thing, another task opens up and you just have so much stuff to do. And it never feels like you are overwhelmed with quests or multiple concurrent tasks that confuse (Arkham City did that a bit).

It's one of the best paced games Ive ever played.

And if one thing can be said of it: the controls are not being given enough praise. As it is, I cannot imagine playing another sword wielding game without this setup being an option.
Put it this way: *if* I were so inclined as to try Skyrim, I'd be demanding Move support for it. Dual glowstick support at that.

It may be premature, but I think the motion controls in Zelda SS are a landmark design choice. I would put it on par with the move from 2D to 3D in Mario, or from offline to online in first person shooters. It is that important.
I should have known to come to Ausgaf for some SS opinions that I actually agree with :p The OT seems to have more people irrationally whining about the small downfalls than people giving the game the praise it deserves. Sure, some complaints are valid, but there is too much picking and picking at them and forgetting about the other 95% of the game.

Kritz

Banned
Just really picky, and the IT dude set a passcode on them so I got locked out :|

Your IT dude is a wanker.

Also, smartboards are the single biggest waste of the IT budget that has ever existed. Like, holy fuck, fuck those things. They're garbage, they decalibrate every fucking week, and I've experienced some that don't retain calibration over a single teaching day. I've had people from SMART tech or whatever come and look at them and waste hours of my time trying to convince the school that they are functioning normally when there can be serious flaws with the hardware.

God fuck those things.

But GOD FUCKIN HELP YOU if your class gets stuck with a starboard, an av media board or a promethean board. You think Smartboards are shit? Holy fuckin ass, you haven't even seen the worst of these thousand dollar wastes of spaces.

/rage

Deeku

I should have known to come to Ausgaf for some SS opinions that I actually agree with :p The OT seems to have more people irrationally whining about the small downfalls than people giving the game the praise it deserves. Sure, some complaints are valid, but there is too much picking and picking at them and forgetting about the other 95% of the game.
I haven't gone into the OT, but I reckon there's a 95% probability that there's a complaint about Fi and all the hand holding!

Tntnnbltn

Make sure your smartboard is set to 16 point calibration so it remains more accurate. You can calibrate it yourself by holding down the two front buttons for five seconds while the computer is powered on and in windows, and the calibration setting can be found in the control panel of the SMART software.
:eek:

It's always been on 9 point.

Edit:

More pi! I added little triangles along the line to mark off each 10 digits (yellow) / 50 digits (big orange)

gXv3l.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Don't worry I'm here to drag this party down.

hamchan

Normally there's a period of everyone just wanking over a new release so this game must be extra bad if the backlash has started this early!

I haven't gone into the OT, but I reckon there's a 95% probability that there's a complaint about Fi and all the hand holding!

Funny, I just ignore Fi for the most part. She never actually says anything useful to me as a Zelda veteran and when I'm actually stuck, all she has is generic and unhelpful advice. I'm only dousing when I'm really desperate, which improves the experience greatly.

I miss Midna and ghost Zelda though. They were at least funny.

Also, the design is sometimes a bit Metroidy in that you have to do some pretty obscure things to proceed sometimes, so I'm finding myself blowing up every pile of rocks, suspicious looking crack in the walls, running up every wall and sending the beetle everywhere. Trying to get into the third dungeon now.

Also, the people in the OT are about as helpful as Fi. Your query just gets lost in their meta debate about whatever spoiler tagged crap they're on about.

AssCreed Bro is not as good as hoped. Feels rushed and unpolished compared to AC2. The arcade like scoring all over the game is a bit irritating rather than expansive.

Top Bottom